• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemed like big enough news to not be buried in the MC thread.

As regular text:

3D Mario Week One Sales:

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569 (1,032,853 total)
2) Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698 (1,861,023 total)
3) Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610 (789,989 total)
4) Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341 (1,025,664 total)
5) Super Mario 64* - 162,113 (1,639,914 total)
6) Super Mario 64 DS* - 120,062 (1,231,535 total)
7) Super Mario 3D World - 106,967
*Launch title

Thanks to Aquamarine for compiling the data.

So where does Nintendo go from here?

StayDead

Are people surprised by this? Of course it's going to be the lowest debut, it has the lowest install base and if it's going to shift systems it'll do it over time not in one big go.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I though this was going to be the savior?

WTF?

Well the notably more popular form of Mario platformers didn't work, so I'm not sure this had much of a chance.

It's probably not very good for them that their next major game is another 2D Platformer with Donkey Kong either.

Then there's Yarn Yoshi as well at some point.

I though this was going to be the savior?

WTF?
Not in Japan.

GCN before Sunshine: 8.242
GCN Sunshine Launch: 31.750

Wii before Galaxy: 34.766
Wii Galaxy Launch: 40.836

Wii before Galaxy 2: 17.870
Wii Galaxy 2 Launch: 21.304

Wii U before 3D World: 14.006
Wii U 3D World Launch: 20.177

Nintendo will keep making Mario games as usual Mario comes out on friday same day as the PS4 in Europe so it will be interesting to see how well it does.

Radec

Obligatory

nljIHxM.png

BadWolf

Are people surprised by this? Of course it's going to be the lowest debut, it has the lowest install base and if it's going to shift systems it'll do it over time not in one big go.

That's what the WiiU sort of needs right now though.

It has pretty much wasted the 1 year head start it had on the PS4/X1.

The console is in problem, so one game cannot magically save it. They need to keep adding this kind of system sellers, alongside more games that sells the functionality of the gamepad. This game is just the first step.

Travesty.

Not because it would have returned Nintendo to the top spot or some shit.

But because this game is fucking awesome on a number of levels and deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

DaBoss

Super Mario 64 DS is also a launch title.
Well the notably more popular form of Mario platformers didn't work, so I'm not sure this had much of a chance.

It's probably not very good for them that their next major game is another 2D Platformer with Donkey Kong either.

Then there's Yarn Yoshi as well at some point.
Well I would argue that NSMBU is the biggest driver of sales for the Wii U at the moment, but it is a major decline from the previous entry.

Zalman

Not in Japan.

This really can't be quoted enough.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mario 64 DS probably had a smaller install base to sell to considering it was out at the system's launch.

StayDead

That's what the WiiU sort of needs right now though.

It has pretty much wasted the 1 year head start it had on the PS4/X1.

I wouldn't say it wasted it considering Nintendo's output has been pretty good so far.

It's by far the complete disaster people are trying to make it out to be. It's certainly no Wii, but the Wii was certainly no PS2 either. By the end of it's lifespan I'll imagine they'll break even or close to it and with a war chest like Nintendo has, that's all that matters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Super Mario 64 DS is also a launch title.

Well I would argue that NSMBU is the biggest driver of sales for the Wii U at the moment, but it is a major decline from the previous entry.

I agree, but it still ended up not floating the system.

3D World I have to imagine is largely a subset of people who went and played that, just given the sheer volume 2D Mario can sell.

RMI

Banned
Bummer.

well not surprising. It's not like any of the other big Wii U games this fall (W101, Pikmin3) did all that great in sales. Everybody is probably too busy playing God Eater 2.

Hopefully this means an end to all of those "haha PS4/XBONE 1st adopters wasted their money; only Nintendo offers real value" articles from media outlets

Pitmonkey

For context, hows this compare to other Wii U releases? Lower install base means lower sales - seems pretty logical.

I still can't believe it sold so low. That's ~10% or less of the total Wii U owners in Japan. What the hell is the other 90% doing? You'd thing the early adaptors would have a significant lean towards buying Nintendo's first party games and this seems to be their best effort yet. I know 3D Mario isn't as popular as 2D Mario, but the console is this starved for games you'd think Wii U owners would have flocked to the game.. It'll be interesting to see the game's sales after this holiday season is over.

im guessing most people thought they would buy the console and the game at the same day

Well after Mario Kart.....Firing Iwata is the only thing left.

And I can pretty much Guarantee you that Mega man in smash is not going to sell extra consoles. Whether or not you want to argue Smash itself will is a different story. I would change it to Super Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers Metroid Announcement Fire Iwata.

Not in Japan.

The comparison with Wii 3D Mario is useless. When SMG came out for Wii there was a shortage of hardware, and not any kind of demand issues. The most comparable situation is Sunshine which caused a 300% rise in hardware sales. The Wii U is doing worse than the Gamecube in every single metric and the 3D Mario title has debuted worse and not given it anywhere near the same hardware push.

Please stop drawing an equivalence between Wii 3D Mario and Wii U 3D Mario, the situation is completely different.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The console is in problem, so one game cannot magically save it. They need to keep adding this kind of system sellers, alongside more games that sells the functionality of the gamepad. This game is just the first step.

Come on, now. They haven't even been trying. They're far closer to just dropping the thing like they did with the 3D on 3DS.

I'm not really surprised that the sales are low though. Is everybody forgetting the initial reactions and huge wave of disappointment from the announcement? At a quick glance it still looks the same to the average person. People aren't going to realize that it's actually really good unless it spreads through word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom