• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bottle of cheap Vodka we bought smells & taste? like rubbing alcohol....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

My cousin and I bought a bottle of cheap ass McCormick's vodka yesterday and while we've had it in the past, something is definitely up with this bottle judging by the smell and taste. I poured some on to a t-shirt and took a sniff and it really hit me like rubbing alcohol.

Is this just the nature of cheap liquor which I'm just not taking notice to, or did I actually take double shot of rubbing alcohol!?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
titos.jpg

RumpledForeskin said:
Is that some kinda ghetto test for alcohol authenticity?
More a test to see if it will dissolves your shirt before it dissolves the insides your throat.

Normally I'm cool with bad spirits but Vodka is pretty much the worst unless you're cold and have nothing else.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
get some popov blue label. i was doing screwdrivers with it, got carried away, and then started battle rapping while chugging from the bottle :lol

man. my advice is to never dust off a fifth of 100 proof vodka, because you will want to die soon thereafter. :(

Juice

If you're looking to drink it in shots or to make martinis, I like Grey Goose. It's got a really distinct bite to it that makes it less suited for sweet mixed drinks.

Juice

Visualante said:
More a test to see if it will dissolves your shirt before it dissolves the insides your throat.

Normally I'm cool with bad spirits but Vodka is pretty much the worst unless you're cold and have nothing else.

I dunno, have you ever had well-class Scotch? Eww...

okno

Wellington said:

Some of my favorite vodka, oh it's so good. So smooth, so tasty, so awesome.

I've learned my lesson with cheap vodka, and it's just not worth it to buy cheap shit. Vodka is one of those things where you kind of need the good stuff or else you're just going to hate yourself later.

My top picks are:
Belvedere (#1)
Grey Goose
Finlandia
Ketel One

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Hah, a quick gander into Ted's freezer and what do we find...

7waf62t.jpg

Sure it's cheap, smells like rubbing alcohol, and likely tastes terribly on its own, but as strictly a cocktail vodka it does the job and doesn't seem that awful. It's the vodka for a man drinking on a budget.

Juice said:
I dunno, have you ever had well-class Scotch? Eww...
I drunk a quarter of a bottle straight in a night a few months back. It was good stuff, though so I drunk it appreciatively and shared a further quarter. :)

Macam

Banned
That's McCormick's for ya (and cheap vodka in general). I'd be weary of it unless you can't afford anything better and/or enjoy nasty hangovers.

Flesh Into Gear said:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x85/dnoreika/zf452ca7.jpg

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

Kudos on the filtration knowledge. It's MANDATORY practice for anyone who loves plastic bottle vodka. After a few passes, everything tastes like Grey Goose.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
oo Kosma oo said:
If the Wodka ain't Polish you probably shouldn't be drinking it.

Are you kidding? I have some (Wyborowa), and if any Vodka deserves the rubbing alcohol tag, it's Polish Vodka. It gets good reviews, but hey, Vodka to me is supposed to taste like this. Still, it's really damn close to rubbing alcohol.

Gibous

Prole
Ferrio said:
According to mythbusters it'll taste better, but far from "a lot better".
Fuck MythBusters. I've done it and it did taste a lot better. I filtered it about 4 times though.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Gibous said:
Fuck MythBusters. I've done it and it did taste a lot better. I filtered it about 4 times though.

Probably more placebo effect than anything. Most people generally agree it's less trouble and still tastes better to just get higher-shelf stuff.

Yes my avatar my indicate some bias. :D

Gibous

Prole
tedtropy said:
Probably more placebo effect than anything. Most people generally agree it's less trouble and still tastes better to just get higher-shelf stuff.

Yes my avatar my indicate some bias. :D
No, I can assure you it is not the placebo effect. The difference was night and day.

It's all well and good to buy the better stuff in the first place, I always do, but if you already have bad vodka, you may as well use it.

JzeroT1437 said:
Absolut. The only vodka.
Got crappy as of late. Belvedere and Finland are the way to go, and Danska too (comes in aluminium flask). You can trust me, I'm a barman who tastes before serving :).

Ferrio said:
According to mythbusters it'll taste better, but far from "a lot better".

it depends on how much you run it through the filter, really. Vodka is never going to taste like fruit juice, but from personal experience running shit vodka through a filter gets rid of the rubbing alcohol smell and a lot of the bad aftertaste.

you can actually SEE a difference between filtered and unfiltered also- filtered looks clear like water- cheap vodka looks like there's...something..swirling around in there.

true story: threw a party a couple of years back, forgot we had a brita pitcher full of vodka in the fridge. Drunk girl gets thirsty, grabs the pitcher and pours a nice, tall glass. My roomie spots her, yells "wait, don't do it! that's vodka!"

She takes a big whiff of the (filtered) vodka she just poured, CANT SMELL A THING so decides he was full of it and takes a BIG gulp. Seconds later she's blowing chunks all over my kitchen :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom