• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard creates another new, Hearthstone-sized team

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
After Hearthstone's success, it seems Blizzard is creating more small teams.

Blizzard said:
Blizzard’s newest game team is looking for someone to join its ranks as lead producer. With Hearthstone, Blizzard has revived its tradition of creating small and nimble game teams and we are following in those footsteps. As part of our team, you will join in the leadership of a small but mighty band of developers and exert your talents to help craft our processes, organization, goals and execution.

We can’t tell you exactly what the game is yet, but trust us, it’s awesome.
Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=13000JU

Open Positions:

Unannounced Game Title
3D Character Animator
3D Weapons Artist
Lead 3D Character Artist
Lead Producer
Lead Software Engineer, Server
Senior VFX Artist

Information I can dig up:
-They want people who can animate human bipeds, so it's a 3D game of some sort.
-Also features 3D weapons and mechanical characters/vehicles (for modeling purposes that is, this could still be isometric).
-It's seemingly an online title with post launch support (which given Blizzard shouldn't be surprising).

Zen

Banned
They've needed to do this for a while. Having several small lean teams to rapidly respond to changing interests in the medium.

Seems like they'll want to conquer the free to play model after how people were attracted my Hearthstone. They'll want to gather as many people to their competitive scene as possible hence that's why they've been creating things like Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The failure of Titan is really taking its toll on the direction Blizzard is moving in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The failure of Titan is really taking its toll on the direction Blizzard is moving in.

Hearthstone is made on Unity so I imagine working with a toolset that can successfully launch a game within a decade has been a big morale boost!

A good move on their part after having so many of their recent titles sitting in development for years. A small, experimental new IP would be very welcome alongside their usual offerings.

On the matter of F2P, though, I'd rather see companies continue to experiment with the $10-30 range for smaller games.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Warcraft IV?
Impossible since WoW brutally murdered it's world and then proceeded to defile the corpse in every single way imaginable.
Hopefully it's a new RTS-ish game. Blizzard, we need a fantasy rts. NEED IT.

kirblar

I'd actually put this more on getting the Vivendi Vampire off their back. They can actually spend money now and experiment. They've been doing a mass hiring wave at the company and were trying to get their WoW team hugely buffered (I think 60% more people was the goal) in order to get content out faster.

Sciz

That was my first thought. At this point I expect it to sit in the same "technically not canceled" limbo they stuck Ghost in.

That was my first thought. At this point I expect it to sit in the same "technically not canceled" limbo they stuck Ghost in.

for sure. I don't think we will ever see Titan be released.

I want this to be like a FPS of Starcraft. That'd be awesome.

xk0sm0sx

If that's what they are doing, I support that direction.
You won't have Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo without the small teams experimenting around first.

Dawg

For some reason, I wish Blizzard would make a single player Warcraft RPG.

Like World of Warcraft, but single player.

Miletius

This is good news to me. As somebody that's mostly moved on from WoW, I'd like to see Blizzard experiment and release a lot of different products. There will always be WoW, SC and Diablo to show their big game chops but smaller products on the scale of HoTS and Hearthstone are welcome.

Sajjaja

Never happening with LoV coming out.

:(

Ssshhhhhhsh shshs hsh shshhhhh

g7XI2AJ.gif

=(

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's a fighting game with characters from all of Blizzard's franchises.

What? A guy can dream.

mfaex

Warcraft IV?
Impossible since WoW brutally murdered it's world and then proceeded to defile the corpse in every single way imaginable.
Hopefully it's a new RTS-ish game. Blizzard, we need a fantasy rts. NEED IT.

Make WoW non-canon. Problem solved.

I can dream.

Naka

If you read some of the job descriptions it really doesn't sound like something in the Warcraft universe. My guess would be something in the Starcraft universe this time. Maybe they are revisiting Ghost?

Do you laugh manically as you lay waste to your opponents with the most badass weapon you can find? Is your portfolio really an armory full of swords, firearms, and other weapons of destruction? Do you have a love of the mechanical and an insatiable need to figure out how everything under the hood fits together? Is there a framed picture of the BFG on your mantle instead of pictures of your family? If so, Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of the most epic games in the world, is seeking a 3D Artist specializing in weapons to help develop Blizzard’s next hit game!

Work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers, and designers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is centered on collaborative game development. We are gamers at heart at Blizzard – across all levels - and it shows in our craft.

The ideal candidate has experience modeling and texturing weapon, and equipment assets in a stylized universe. A solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. The 3D weapons artist should also have experience working with a diverse range of equipment, vehicles, and mechanical characters.

Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=13000JG

zulfate

Something tells me this will be part of the starcraft universe.

I kinda would play a starcraft/borderlands fusion if blizzard made it...but i doubt they would.

Michael Booth appears to be the director for this game so maybe its a shooter.

Very nice find. Now I'm definitely curious about this project.

For the couple posts above, it's a 'team' of a few people just updating the original Warcraft games to run properly on modern operating systems. They put out Blackthorne a few months ago.

Valnen

Titan isn't a failure, it's just going through the same ridiculous development process that pretty much all their shit has gone through at some point. Blizzard is well known for throwing out stuff and starting over if it isn't just how they like it.

waggabond

Banned
Blizzard has been all talks for a long time now, without producing anything relevant.
This alone is not enough to get me excited.

Valnen

Blizzard has been all talks for a long time now, without producing anything relevant.
This alone is not enough to get me excited.

You are factually wrong. I'm not going to bother arguing with you why, because it should be obvious but just know that it's true.

dimb

Titan isn't a failure, it's just going through the same ridiculous development process that pretty much all their shit has gone through at some point. Blizzard is well known for throwing out stuff and starting over if it isn't just how they like it.
The team collapsed and Blizzard doesn't even know what they want to do with the project after 6+ years.

Valnen

So ... Starcraft: Ghost reboot?

That's entirely possible, I don't think they've ever said it was outright cancelled, just put on hold indefinitely.

The team collapsed and Blizzard doesn't even know what they want to do with the project after 6+ years.

You can over dramatize what little details we know, but that doesn't make you right. Blizzard has not actually released much information about the development of the game to the public, so anything you think you know could be and probably is wrong.

Kalnos

Banned

"Titan" isn't a failure because it could technically still see the light of day but there's no doubt that the management of the project has been a failure which led to a significant restructure and delay. No idea why that's so insulting to you.

dimb

You can over dramatize what little details we know, but that doesn't make you right. Blizzard has not actually released much information about the development of the game to the public, so anything you think you know could be and probably is wrong.
It's not a dramatization.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
But when will Blizzard create another good game?

Akzo

Neo Member
I'd actually put this more on getting the Vivendi Vampire off their back. They can actually spend money now and experiment. They've been doing a mass hiring wave at the company and were trying to get their WoW team hugely buffered (I think 60% more people was the goal) in order to get content out faster.

Didn't know they were adding to the WoW team. Good news, Going back to Wow for a new expansion is always enjoyable.

Top Bottom