• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

has there been any updates to the 15 minute recording bug?

for example: I played AC4 for 2hours, wanted to record the last 15min of me sailing, hit share, but only the first 15 minuites of gameplay is recorded from the title screen forward when I was in Havanna

When I started it up, the update kept failing, and then the console would not boot from standby, and gave me the error message and healthcheck when turned on from full off. It fixed itself by re-Initialising from Safe Mode and works perfectly now, but just wondering if the prior issues are common

Just had my ps4 shut off during bf4. Don't know what to make of this, as a quick google search brings this issue to light. Some have fixed with initializing the ps4 and some not. I reinitialized and all has been well so far.

Dune1975

Banned
Just had my PS4 hard-lock twice now, the first time I went into the XMB from playing NFS and it must of froze then, because I went to watch time and went back to the game around 920 and it had been frozen since 530. Could not get it to turn off via the power button so I had to unplug it, and then I restarted it and started playing AC4, and 10 minutes later it freezes again. Not happy.

My first PS4 had a faulty Bluetooth chip so I returned it to Amazon for a full refund. I received my new PS4 from Target.com today and I have the blue light of death. What the fuck?!?!? Target did not pack the system well at all. Guess I'll call Sony for a coffin tomorrow...

I'm having an audio issue with KIllzone. Sounds are missing like the narrator's voice in the intro, voices were hard to make out in the first level and in the following cutscene the only voice I get clearly is the helmetless interrogator.

It works with earphones plugged into the controller and the other PS4 games I've tried seem to be fine.

My first PS4 had a faulty Bluetooth chip so I returned it to Amazon for a full refund. I received my new PS4 from Target.com today and I have the blue light of death. What the fuck?!?!? Target did not pack the system well at all. Guess I'll call Sony for a coffin tomorrow...

I feel you bro, sent my ps4 to Sony today.

Let's wait.

Marco1

Do the discs constantly spin when in the drive?
I have noticed mine do but you would think to save disc wear they would enter a sleep mode when not been used.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm having an audio issue with KIllzone. Sounds are missing like the narrator's voice in the intro, voices were hard to make out in the first level and in the following cutscene the only voice I get clearly is the helmetless interrogator.

It works with earphones plugged into the controller and the other PS4 games I've tried seem to be fine.

Seems like you're outputting 5.1 but not actually hearing the center channel. What's your speaker setup, and what's your audio settings on the PS4?

BadHand

Do you have a center channel and is it connected correctly at both ends?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do the discs constantly spin when in the drive?
I have noticed mine do but you would think to save disc wear they would enter a sleep mode when not been used.

Only while a game is installing, which will make it spin for quite some time the first time the disc is inserted. Once it's finished it should stop. It also spins up for a while as the PS4 boots, but that should also stop relatively quickly. If the game you're playing is already fully installed (note that the progress bar on the game's icon doesn't tell you this, it only tells you when it has installed enough data to launch the game), and your PS4 has been turned on for a few minutes, there should be no disc spinning.

Nyx

After watching Netflix I was done with the ps4 for the day and logged off setting it into stand-by mode, but the ps4 got stuck and the white led kept going on and off. Nothing helped except for unplugging the machine.

Should I be worried now?

I restarted the ps4 and it went into safe mode, checking the storage for errors which weren't found so for now it's good, hope this doesn't mean it will brick soon.

Huggers

Wasn't sure where best to post this but I'm having trouble uploading a game clip to face book. It says it's complete but does not appear on my FB profile. What did I do wrong?

Okay so it appeared but took a while. Now what is weird is that the gameplay I uploaded was not the last 15 minutes. It was from way earlier in the day

Seems like you're outputting 5.1 but not actually hearing the center channel. What's your speaker setup, and what's your audio settings on the PS4?

Do you have a center channel and is it connected correctly at both ends?

The only speakers are the ones on TV. Audio settings I think were defaulted to linear PCM. What option should I set it to?

EDIT I tried the other 2 options, is this a TV issue?

Last couple of days Ive booted up the system to no audio, have to reboot, I hope these problems are not coming out he woodworks now, system needs a couple of patches pretty bad.

The only speakers are the ones on TV. Audio settings I think were defaulted to linear PCM. What option should I set it to?

EDIT I tried the other 2 options, is this a TV issue?

Linear PCM is correct for HDMI. Bitstream is for Optical connections.
If you post the TV model maybe someone will be able to let you know what to look for in the TV settings.

Potential Issue #1
Is anyone else getting occasional HDMI audio drops? I can't tell if it is my PS4, or my receiver. The video stays intact... I just loose audio.

Issue #2
Twice my system has crashed (screen locks up, have to kill surge protector power) when selecting to close a given application (Netflix for example)

JayHayabusa

@everyone

I believe I found the cause of the flickering snowy picture that appear on certain TVs and receivers. Issue is fairly present. Many users on Sony support forums are reporting this.

My setup

PS4 => Sony STRDH740 HDMI => TV HDMI

In summary the flickering appears only when passing through the Sony STRDH740 receiver. Tried multiple cables, devices, TVs and all is working. Re-flashed the PS4 and the issue appeared as soon as the console was flashed to 1.51.

The flickering and strange snowy artifacts appear only at 1080p. Other resolutions don't display any problems.

Was on my Xbox One which is hooked up the same way and is working perfectly. Changed the TV Connection setting from HDMI (Auto-Select) to HDMI. This resets the resolution to 640x480. When I selected 1080p I was shocked to have the exact same effects appear suddenly ie flickering snowy picture and horizontal lines.

I looked over under Picture and saw that the Color depth setting was also reset to 24 bits per pixel. I selected 36 bits per pixel and like magic the picture is clear and flawless. (30 bits per pixel also works)

While I am not sure the meaning of the Color depth option I am now certain that it is a firmware issue and the the color depth on all PS4 must be by default set to 24 bits per pixel.

Now Sony can either introduce the other values depending on the set up in future firmware releases or they must give us the option to select it manually like on Xbox One.

Any more technical inclined mates out there willing to shed more light on this.

Can you help spread the word and hopefully it reaches Sony so they can investigate.

So in summary I am fairly certain that the problem with all the flickering snowy picture on certain TV and receivers is the Color depth. Sony needs to fix this asap and introduce the 36 bits per pixel option.

Hilti92

Trying to update my Assassin's Creed Black Flag and an error code comes up and wont finish downloading the update. nw-31456-9. Anyone have experience with this?

DSFan1970

I haven't seen this question posed before so ill ask here. Why does the Ps4 broadcast its wireless signal? Wen I look for available wifi networks on my ipad "PS4-1234567890" comes up. This only when the ps4 is on.

AKAperly

Neo Member
I'm having some issues with the audio output from my dualshock 4. First I noticed some "audio popping" from the controller's speaker while playing Resogun. (No headphones attached) I kind of dismissed it as a one off issue with the session, as I had played Resogun several days around the launch window with zero problems.

Fast forward a few days and I finally got around to playing some Killzone, and wanted to try pushing full game audio through stereo headphones. Started hearing the "popping" again sporadically followed by short spurts of audio dropping out completely.

It comes across to me as audio latency or interference of some kind. I checked that all other Bluetooth devices were off in the house, did a fresh system restart, and tried some other applications like Netflix and even navigating back and forth rapidly around the xmb. Same result across the board, random popping and dropouts no matter what I'm doing, probably 2-3 times a minute.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The controller itself is very responsive, and has never dropped inputs or the like. I should also point out that audio is crystal clear and perfect coming through my Bravia's speakers. My setup is just HDMI straight to the TV with no receiver.

I've only got the one controller to test with right now, any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Carnby

Welp. I called up Sony and they are sending me a replacement. I purchased the system on launch. Since then, I have had the following happen:

1. 20 minutes into KillZone, the install errored, and I had to reinstall the game, which included playing "Father" all over again. This was the first time I installed anything.

2. BLOD. I powered it down, and unplugged it from the wall. This resolved it.

3. "Invalid Format" appeared on my screen for three seconds each time I powered it up. Eventually the system would boot, but there would be jittering as the XMB loaded. Reinitializing the PS4 resolved this.

4. I am constantly having audio problems. There is no audio when playing DVDs or captured footage when HDMI output is selected. But game and streaming video audio works fine. I have to switch to the other option to hear everything.

5. After reinitializing my PS4. The first game I played (Resogun) errored and went back to the XMB. That is when I said enough is enough, send me a new one Sony.

Dunno if this been posted, but I still have this download bar up under my amazon app and the tv and vid section that takes u to the apps.

is this normal

sal0713

Neo Member
I kept getting this error.
"Cannot start the PS4
Cannot access system storage
Press the power button for 1 second (until the system beeps) to turn off the PS4
(CE-34335-8)"

I follow some troubleshoot for it like checking the hard drive to see if it was loose and all. I ended up trying to go into safe mode same error. I plugged it in to my pc to see if i could format it and it would not show up in the computer which lead me to believe the hdd was fried.

Anybody get this problem as well?

Contacted amazon first rep said they can replace it in 3 to 5 days, 2nd rep said they couldn't replace it, then she changed her mind and said she could process it now and that it would be deliver by Wednesday.

ClearData

Would a kind Gaffer who has some Home Theater setup savvy help me out?

I'm trying to make sure I am getting 5.1 Channel surround sound (Dolby and DTS are supported by the Sony home theater system I got) out of my PS4.

There is a lot of equipment connected to the TV (Set top box, home theater/ blu-ray player, and PS4) so instead of hooking my Digital Optical out cable from the PS4 to the receiver I connected the TV to it via that cable. Surround works for both the TV and the Blu-Ray player/receiver).

Going into the PS4 audio output setting from the main menu and getting the correct settings has been confusing. At first I had the PS4 audio outputting to HDMI but with the receiver set to output whatever the TV was broadcasting. I got sound, but the center and rear speakers were not outputting.

I then followed the instructions on this IGN PS4 Wiki and got the center speaker working by switching the output from HDMI to Digital Optical despite the cord not being connected to the PS4. I also set it to output in Dolby and DTS 5.1 and for it to prioritize Dolby bitstreams. I fired up a Netflix video that supported Dolby audio but I am not sure if I have the setting configured correctly.

Please help and thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this long post.

well during yesterday my ps4 got bricked. had it on standby as I was downloading suff as I needed to pop out. Returned hours later and my machine was flashing orange...Had no choice but to hold the power down for a few seconds to turn off. Turned it back on and it forced into safe mode bring up an error with the software and it forces me to reinstall the 1.51 via usb but nothing worked...

So phoned support within 5 minutes I am expecting a brand new ps4 without holding at all

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just had my ps4 shut off during bf4. Don't know what to make of this, as a quick google search brings this issue to light. Some have fixed with initializing the ps4 and some not. I reinitialized and all has been well so far.

I had the same with KZ shadowfall, just shut down. Not seen it since and have not rebuilt the database.

def sim

I'm using a HDMI switch to connect my PS4 and PC to my monitor which only have 1 HDMI port.
When I turn the PS4 on the device keeps looping between the two signals (PS4 & PC) and doesn't display an image
This is the device: Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher with 3D Support
When I connect the PS4 directly to my monitor it works fine. But it's a pain in the ass to do this manually everytime I want to play my PS4. :(
Does anybody have a similar setup?

Sounds like your switch is not getting enough power or your cable run is too long. Get a powered switch or thicker gauge cables if your run is over 10 feet.

Fantastic, you two solved my problem and I didn't even have to ask. Thanks guys; this is a helpful thread!

I decided to place my PS4 back on the desk with my Xbox and PC since that's where I want to be when I want to play games anyway. A weird, temporary solution until my 3.5mm DC5 adapter gets here is to keep the bone on so it could power the switcher. It starts acting up after a while, nevermind!

Footos22

Any one getting trophy sync issues with error NP-32091-5

Can't seem younger rid of it. I can sync if I click the trophy from notifications. But it's fricking annoying!

Satchel

Banned
So I have in and set up my PS4. Is a white light bad or good?

Because it won't output video. It's not my amp either because I tested my One in the same port and it's fine.

Seriously what are the fucking odds.

So I have in and set up my PS4. Is a white light bad or good?

Because it won't output video. It's not my amp either because I tested my One in the same port and it's fine.

Seriously what are the fucking odds.

White means it is on and running. Have you tried plugging it in directly to the TV or changing HDMI cables?

Anyone know how I can get some external speakers to work with my monitor, just purchased acer s275hl ips monitor, using hdmi, it has a port for speakers but audio just comes out monitor and we all know how that sounds.

Satchel

Banned
If it works plugged in direct to tv, go ahead and upgrade the firmware, then try again after. The first firmware had some hdmi handshake issues sorted. There is also 1.52 due out anytime now.

You're a fucking gun.

I'll update when I get home and try again.

has there been any updates to the 15 minute recording bug?

for example: I played AC4 for 2hours, wanted to record the last 15min of me sailing, hit share, but only the first 15 minuites of gameplay is recorded from the title screen forward when I was in Havanna

Here's something you could do, just manually double tap the share button quickly, this basically helps you to record right from when you want the ps4 to start recording gameplay.

Serrenn

Banned
Here's a fix to your problem, just manually double tap the share button quickly, this basically helps you to record right from when you want the ps4 to start recording gameplay.
Its hardly a fix.

The whole idea of that feature is what you can record the things what you've missed while playing.

broony

1/ So when the camera is plugegd in and I do not have a mic plugged into my controller, it looks like the camera is working as a mic. How do I mute the camera's mic?

2/ When I want to play online with a guest, do I need to set up a second PSN account? It wouldn't let us go online with a second controller active. If yes, then I guess I can just create a throw away account and not sign up for PS+?

3/I have some turtle beach x41 headphones from my 360. When will the turtle beach chat cable thing be available in the UK?

Thank you GAF.

Last couple of days Ive booted up the system to no audio, have to reboot, I hope these problems are not coming out he woodworks now, system needs a couple of patches pretty bad.

this has been happening to me too, but I notice it only happens when I turn the ps4 on first before I turn on my tv. If I turn on my tv first then turn on the ps4 I always have sound and I don't need to restart the ps4.

hoserx

anyone using a USB headset notice that their voice communication works great until you get into a game, then everything gets really quiet? I can't hear, and people can't hear me....... but if I'm in party chat from the UI, it's clear as a bell..... :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm having some issues with the audio output from my dualshock 4. First I noticed some "audio popping" from the controller's speaker while playing Resogun. (No headphones attached) I kind of dismissed it as a one off issue with the session, as I had played Resogun several days around the launch window with zero problems.

Fast forward a few days and I finally got around to playing some Killzone, and wanted to try pushing full game audio through stereo headphones. Started hearing the "popping" again sporadically followed by short spurts of audio dropping out completely.

It comes across to me as audio latency or interference of some kind. I checked that all other Bluetooth devices were off in the house, did a fresh system restart, and tried some other applications like Netflix and even navigating back and forth rapidly around the xmb. Same result across the board, random popping and dropouts no matter what I'm doing, probably 2-3 times a minute.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The controller itself is very responsive, and has never dropped inputs or the like. I should also point out that audio is crystal clear and perfect coming through my Bravia's speakers. My setup is just HDMI straight to the TV with no receiver.

I've only got the one controller to test with right now, any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

A bit late with this answer, but yeah, I've also noticed this. I don't believe I've had any full audio dropouts, but definitely some slight popping. It definitely seems like some sort of wireless interference issue. Not only other BT signals can cause this, but also other wireless signals like Wi-Fi, etc.

Satchel

Banned
If it works plugged in direct to tv, go ahead and upgrade the firmware, then try again after. The first firmware had some hdmi handshake issues sorted. There is also 1.52 due out anytime now.

I love you ilovebish.

Update worked. PS4 set, pumped and ready for action. Resogun is fun.

Semper88

I'm having a issue with the connecting of the bluetooth Sony Wireless Keyboard that i used for my PS3.

the PS4 won't find the device other then the controller.

anyone come across this yet? and might have a solution.

Satchel

Banned
I'm having a issue with the connecting of the bluetooth Sony Wireless Keyboard that i used for my PS3.

the PS4 won't find the device other then the controller.

anyone come across this yet? and might have a solution.

Won't find my Bluetooth headset but apparently it's not supported anyway.

Top Bottom