• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Brawl 'Spoiler' thread. -- Denial phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly confused at the moment. Could someone please clear this up for me?

These characters are confirmed:
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Pit
Wario
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Snake
Lucas
Sonic
King Dedede
Pikmin & Olimar
Lucario
Ness
Jigglypuff

These characters are rumored:
Ganondorf
Luigi
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
Falco
Marth
Wolf
Wind Waker Link
R.O.B.

Have I got this right? Just how certain are we of the rumored characters?

farnham

Banned
Rindain said:
It strikes me as very, very odd that Sakurai would put Wolf in over Ridley, especially if they are keeping Falco. Ridley has been a villain in nearly every Metroid game since 1986. Metroid needs a representative other than Samus. Ridley ranked very highly on Sakurai's poll. Plus Ridley is an awesome space dragon.

I'm still holding out hope that MarkMan is wrong.

he could be a boss in subspace..

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
looks like a great roster. If all the characters are solid then I can forgive omiting (or just not being able to get) some of the other bigger names. Mega Man would have been nice, but what we've got here isn't bad at all.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Danthrax said:
We already have a generic guy with some Pokémon.
Yeah, and he's boring as hell. Good thing his Pokemon are so awesome.

El Pescado said:
I'm slightly confused at the moment. Could someone please clear this up for me?

These characters are confirmed:
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Pit
Wario
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Snake
Lucas
Sonic
King Dedede
Pikmin & Olimar
Lucario
Ness
Jigglypuff

These characters are rumored:
Ganondorf
Luigi
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
Falco
Marth
Wolf
Wind Waker Link
R.O.B.

Have I got this right? Just how certain are we of the rumored characters?
As certain as we are that MarkMan and Reno are trustworthy and not just fucking with us. Whatever the case may be they're certainly enjoying themselves stringing us along.

Neiteio

GoateBoate
Posted 1/19/2008 10:06:43 PM
message detail I will admit. I have no credibility whatsover on my own part because I will not reveal my source. However, I will tell you what I know to be correct. The "rows" indicate each row in the character select screen. The characters go from left to right on each row.

Row 1

Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch

Row 2

Luigi
Diddy Kong
Zelda
Pit
Meta Knight
Falco
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Snake

Row 3

Peach
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
King Dedede
Lucario
Ness
Sonic
Bowser

Row 4

Wario
Toon Link
R.O.B. (star fox)
Captain Olimar
Captain Falcon
Lucas
Wolf
Jigglypuff
Note how this person qualifies ROB as the ROB from Star Fox, NOT the NES accessory. If this is true, Star Fox is getting MASSIVE representation in Brawl, with four characters (two vets, two newcomers).

This makes it plain as day that Nintendo has a Star Fox game waiting in the wings, and they're trying to build anticipation for it. Factor 5's secret game, anyone?

As for ROB, if he is indeed the Star Fox one (which has legs!) we can expect some extending arm attacks. He'll be the Dhalsim of the Smash Bros. world!

- N

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Good that they're still in:

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda/Sheik
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon

Marth (Don't be a clone of Ike.)
Ganondorf (Don't be a clone of Falcon.)

Falco (Could do without but whatever.)

Awesome newcomers:

Zero Suit Samus !
Pit !
Wario !
Ike
Pokemon Trainer !
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight !
Snake !
Lucas
Sonic !
King Dedede
Pikmin & Olimar !

Wind Waker Link ! (Don't be a clone of Link.)

Lucario (He's alright I guess. The new gen pokemon are so poorly designed though.)

What?:

Wolf (Don't be a clone of Fox please. But thats impossible.)
R.O.B. (...)

Overall its a great roster. Too much Star Fox representation. No Tom Nook, Tingle and He who shall not be named is unfortunate but so many of the other characters I wanted are in.

Innotech

Banned
superbank said:
Good that they're still in:

Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda/Sheik
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon

Marth (Don't be a clone of Ike.)
Ganondorf (Don't be a clone of Falcon.)

Falco (Could do without but whatever.)

Awesome newcomers:

Zero Suit Samus !
Pit !
Wario !
Ike
Pokemon Trainer !
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight !
Snake !
Lucas
Sonic !
King Dedede!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pikmin & Olimar !

Wind Waker Link ! (Don't be a clone of Link.)

Lucario (He's alright I guess. The new gen pokemon are so poorly designed though.)

What?:

Wolf (Don't be a clone of Fox please. But thats impossible.)
R.O.B. (...)

Overall its a great roster. Too much Star Fox representation. No Tom Nook, Tingle and He who shall not be named is unfortunate but so many of the other characters I wanted are in.

fix'd :D

Meloche

Well, that was fun. All I needed to be happy with Brawl's roster were the Ice Climbers, Olimar, and Metaknight, so it's hard to be disappointed with the final additions to the cast. I'm a little surprised (and disgusted) that Starfox is getting such a huge presence in the game though... I was really hoping Nintendo would just kill it off for good.

Hey, so with the final roster completely unveiled (Luigi's back, stop kidding yourselves), let's move on to stages, ATs, and whatever Game Modes have yet to be featured on the Dojo. Hoping for a Galaxy stage most of all now, myself.

I like Lucario. It looks fast and fun to play as. The three I'm looking forward to playing as are Lucas (obvious reasons), Sonic (speed), and Lucario (curiosity).

edit: oh and wind waker link. I've been calling for him in Smash since wind waker came out.

Firestorm

You can name Mega Man in threads outside the Dojo thread.

I honestly hope Young Link is a clone of Link. That's why I like him. His play style. I mean, maybe some graphical changes, but I hope he keeps the whole hit & run with projectiles style. He just needs some KO moves that's all.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Firestorm said:

I honestly hope Young Link is a clone of Link. That's why I like him. His play style. I mean, maybe some graphical changes, but I hope he keeps the whole hit & run with projectiles style. He just needs some KO moves that's all.

I want WW Link to have WW themed moves. Makes sense. But if he was just a Link clone with more KO moves that would be good too. I tired to make Young Link my main character but he just wasn't good enough, I had to give up on him.

traveler

Not Wario
Ah, well, even if Geno doesn't make it in, I can't say I'm disappointed. The character I wanted most in this game (Olimar) made it in, so I'm happy.

Neiteio

Zerodoppler said:
Holy hell. The Lucario character design is one of the worst I've ever seen. :lol

He's not that bad. Wait 'til you see him in motion.

Rukario.gif

BELIEVE.

- N

Firestorm said:

Maybe a little faster, a little weaker, and everything he does cel-shaded. That would be intense. He doesn't need a new moveset, however.

.....and for my two cents, because I've been with Smash. since the beginning and Dojo since the beginning....

The list is pretty fantastic. We still have yet to see how they bring all of the characters into Brawl, and I'm pretty excited to see each one. I'm especially excited to see R.O.B. and cel-shaded Link. It is going to look so f'in cool mixing in a cel-shaded character like they are. As well, I'm sure Luigi has some exciting changes like maybe a vacuum, or extremely high jumping.

My only WTF is JigglyPuff and Marth. I mean, who really would give a shit if they were cut for other characters? Marth is cool and all, but there are so many characters with swords.

My only wish was that Leon S. Kennedy would make it.

Stage On

Call me skeptical but I'm not going to belive any of this "final roster" stuff or any new/returning character rumors at all until I see cold hard proof.

Anyone can say what ever they want for whatever reason as has already been more then demenstrated by several people making things up so I wouldn't put it past a few to do a group effort to seem more beliveble.

Still that said You can't expect everyone to make it into Brawl! They have to save SOME characters for the next Smash game after all!

I've elated that Lucario got in as he's one of my absoulte favorite pokemon after seeing the 8th movie. To the person who said it was one of the worst pokemon movies go jump in a lake since it's by far one of the best.

I'll be disapointed if Mewtwo turns out cut and/or Ridly don't make it but I'll live since it could have turned out worse then that.

underfooter said:
My only WTF is JigglyPuff and Marth. I mean, who really would give a shit if they were cut for other characters? Marth is cool and all, but there are so many characters with swords.

Jiggles is a classic by now. He's the Dan of Smash Bros. I could live without Marth though. In fact, I would have prefered it if Ganondorf stole his moveset and he was removed.

suaveric

one reason i thought of why they wouldn't include a Mii: i assumed that the Mii would be fighting with the nun-chucks (seems like any easy choice) but they may have not wanted kids to emulate that and then sue Nintendo when shit goes bad.

Stage On said:
Call me skeptical but I'm not going to belive any of this "final roster" stuff or any new/returning character rumors at all until I see cold hard proof.

Anyone can say what ever they want for whatever reason as has already been more then demenstrated by several people making things up so I wouldn't put it past a few to do a group effort to seem more beliveble.

Still that said You can't expect everyone to make it into Brawl! They have to save SOME characters for the next Smash game after all!

I've elated that Lucario got in as he's one of my absoulte favorite pokemon after seeing the 8th movie. To the person who said it was one of the worst pokemon movies go jump in a lake since it's by far one of the best.

I'll be disapointed if Mewtwo turns out cut and/or Ridly don't make it but I'll live since it could have turned out worse then that.

Wasn't there a Pokemon movie where Mewtwo was turned into Lucario? I know I saw an ad or something like that a while back.

pulga

Banned
I refuse to believe the GAF leakers seeing as they don't have Ridley in their lists, and I'm never going to stop BELIEVING in him until we get 100% confirmation. :D

Lucario rocks, by the way. Fuck you haters.

Innotech

Banned
underfooter said:
.....and for my two cents, because I've been with Smash. since the beginning and Dojo since the beginning....

The list is pretty fantastic. We still have yet to see how they bring all of the characters into Brawl, and I'm pretty excited to see each one. I'm especially excited to see R.O.B. and cel-shaded Link. It is going to look so f'in cool mixing in a cel-shaded character like they are. As well, I'm sure Luigi has some exciting changes like maybe a vacuum, or extremely high jumping.

My only wish was that Leon S. Kennedy would make it.

>: (

underfooter said:

Are you kidding me? Marth is the MAIN CHARACTER in a HUGE series in japan. You're the only person I've ever seen who wanted marth out of brawl.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Son of Godzilla said:
Jiggles is a classic by now. He's the Dan of Smash Bros.

First sentence=true.

Second sentence=false, that's pichu.

Jigglypuff is amazing in SSB and very damn good in Melee. Pichu is a character who dies often and whose best feature is its taunt.

Malfunky

Odrion said:
Honestly, is Mewtwo any better?

At least Lucario has uniqueness.

Hell yes Mew-two is better. I know this is partially nostalgia speaking, but the simplistic alien-esque look works great. And he was the first mysterious Pokémon for kids to freak out over.

With Lucario, it's like they took a fox, threw 3 sets of ear things, spikes on the back of his hands, and gave him shorts or something. It's fuckin bizarre.

Jiggy

If I assigned non-numerical values to how much I love the characters who got in (just going by how the characters themselves appeal to me, since I have no idea how even the veterans will play due to new physics, movesets, etc.), it would look something like this, with "unconfirmed" and unconfirmed characters in brackets:

Wouldn't play even half as much Smash Bros. without her: Jigglypuff
Awesome, will be mains unless they end up sucky: Kirby, Meta Knight, Ivysaur
Slightly less awesome, will also main these: Zelda, Charizard, King Dedede[, Captain Falcon]
Great secondary standbys: Ice Climbers, Sheik[, Luigi, Ganondorf, Falco]
Alternate between warming the bench and playing in the big leagues: Pikachu
Unusual movesets are nice on occasion: Peach, Ness, Lucas, Olimar[, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB]
Progenitor of relative indifference: [Wolf]
They're swordsmen but they're not too boring, I guess, kind of: [Marth, Young Link]
Almost certainly played only when using random character selection: Mario, Samus, Bowser, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Ike, Squirtle, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Lucario
Give me 500 hours to get bored of the others before I look into giving these guys a chance: Link, Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Wario

I tilt heavily toward quirky characters instead of major faces, which might explain why my three favorite Smash characters are all variations on a flying puffball while the likes of Mario, Link, Samus, Snake, and Sonic are consigned to The Abyss of Jiggy Don't Care.

And I'm out for the night. What a crazy 24 hours of Smash news, rumors, leaks, spoilers, and various other info. :eek:

KevinCow

Banned
I really wonder how the hell ROB is going to work if he's really in. I guess they could give him wheels or something to move around, but how could he attack? How could he grab? What could his special moves possibly be?

I look forward to seeing this if it's real.

Man God said:
First sentence=true.

Second sentence=false, that's pichu.

Jigglypuff is amazing in SSB and very damn good in Melee. Pichu is a character who dies often and whose best feature is its taunt.
Huffing and puffing trying to make it back to the stage only to be one jump too short and fall to it's death is the distilled essence of Dan.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Son of Godzilla said:
Huffing and puffing trying to make it back to the stage only to be one jump too short and fall to it's death is the distilled essence of Dan.

a good jigglypuff player will never die because of not making it to the edge... jigglypuffs recovery is just too good if used properly...

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
KevinCow said:
I really wonder how the hell ROB is going to work if he's really in. I guess they could give him wheels or something to move around, but how could he attack? How could he grab? What could his special moves possibly be?

I look forward to seeing this if it's real.

I hope he shoots pewpewlazers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom