• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DKC: Tropical Freeze Info (1080p confirmed, Soundtrack 100% David Wise)

What the fuck is going on in here. Jesus, that website... His fucking twitter account too... Fuck. https://twitter.com/TheREALKoopaTV

EDIT: He addresses the president as "Barack Hussein Obama" every single time he mentions Obama.

Why not say President Obama? Or do you say George Walker Bush? William Jefferson Clinton?

You got some sort of problem?

Wow I didn't even go to that site but from what some of you have posted... Just wow...

Back on topic: can't wait for DK! Finally preordered the other day. Gonna be so much fun!

Holy shit at that website. It's like a rambling manifesto. With Nintendo characters.

One of the good things about Nintendo is that, unlike nefarious companies like EA, they aren't thrusting themselves into turbulent social agendas. While EA is actively promoting the gay agenda, Nintendo is staying clear of that and maintaining heteronormativity, which is A-OK by me. EA's creative teams (especially those sitting in BioWare) and die-hard fans are the same type of people that would defriend you if you ate at a Chick-fil-A. This is how in-bred terrorists are made, folks.

rjc571

Banned
lol, I'm a super-fan and as bleeding-heart liberal as they come, but I totally know where you're coming from with that comment.

I don't think ViewtifulJC was being facetious with that post... I don't know any neo-nazis like this PrinceOfKoopas character in real life, but I can't imagine most of them finding Nintendo games very appealing. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if that guy's blog is just an elaborate troll.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
In fact, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if that guy's blog is just an elaborate troll.

When I was first reading through the blog and then found the Trayvon Tyson game I was thinking this, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure it's real.

Didn't DKCR3D have framerate issues? Although I never got to play the new levels so they could be talkng about that.

Yes but in my opinion it controlled better than on Wii. No more failed motion controls.
And the 3D added a lot of immersion from the Wii game.

Like Retro apparently, I have been impressed by this 3DS port. Framerate drops or lack of elitist 60fps placebo effect aren't enough to make a game bad. Others factors are more important, like better gameplay because of better controls or more levels.

Overall I found DKCR better on 3DS than on Wii. I own and finished both versions and I am a great fan of the franchise.

Neiteio

I don't think ViewtifulJC was being facetious with that post... I don't know any neo-nazis like this PrinceOfKoopas character in real life, but I can't imagine most of them finding Nintendo games very appealing. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if that guy's blog is just an elaborate troll.
Truth be told, you'll find hateful people on every console. In Nintendo's case, there are certainly some sheltered types who perceive a certain "purity" in Nintendo titles -- and unfortunately define "purity" as "having the same skin color as me," "having the same sexual persuasion as me," and "having the same deep-rooted distrust of anyone different."

I trust they're the exception, though, and not the rule. I optimistically think that people who find videogames fun are generally kindhearted people who wouldn't wish anyone harm.

Really not feeling this game. I liked the gameplay and visual style in the SNES games a lot better. And no matter how you look at it, 3-4 years spent on a sidescroller by a big studio is pretty disappointing. And it looks very tame compared to Mario 3D World. Nintendo should really open a studio in the UK with some of the old Rare crew to crank out games.

Tropical Freeze will be better than 3D World.

3D World was great for what it is but while more of the same, Tropical Freeze will be the better platformer.

You can't match the impeccable design of a 2D platformer made right.

Neiteio

I wonder if he realizes that the Japanese are not white.
And that Nintendo ran a chain of brothels, and most Nintendo employees are probably not the same religion as him, and that they might casually consume sexually explicit materials that are more freely tolerated in Japan.

Riposte

I'm suddenly reminded of that insane anti-Yakuza 4 guy (east of eastside?), that got blew up after people found his insane/racist/ranting twitter. Can't find the twitter, maybe because I got the name wrong or maybe he because he deleted it?

So... About that 1080p statement for DKC:TF...

Which is it amongst the prevailing arguments here, that it's not 1080p because we haven't seen any uncompressed 1080p footage yet, or that it is 1080p, and 'lol it should be since Rayman Legends was on last gen consoles'?

To me, the fact that no one can say for sure kind of says that it doesn't matter much since people can't tell the difference. The game is beautiful regardless.

I'm really hoping it is. Honestly, I've always assumed that extreme righties favored violent games, especially uber macho military shooters of the murica variety.

Having said that, the thought of some fascist right-winger also being an outspoken fan of colorful mascot games is kind of amusing to me on some perverse level.

Neiteio

Getting back on topic here (and then getting ready for New Year's Nintendo Land party!), I saw in the new Game Informer that the fourth world in this game, Sea Breeze Cove, appears to be full of underwater levels. Perhaps it will be like the fourth world in DKCR, but instead of being all about mine carts and rocket barrels, the focus will be firmly on swimming.

I also wonder if, given the underwater levels, we'll see the return of Enguarde the swordfish, who was actually in all three Rare installments of DKC (unlike Rambi, who was only in DKC1 and DKC2). Given the newfound focus on speed while swimming underwater, bringing in the swordfish would allow Retro to design some lightning-quick levels.

Getting back on topic here (and then getting ready for New Year's Nintendo Land party!), I saw in the new Game Informer that the fourth world in this game, Sea Breeze Cove, appears to be full of underwater levels. Perhaps it will be like the fourth world in DKCR, but instead of being all about mine carts and rocket barrels, the focus will be firmly on swimming.

I also wonder if, given the underwater levels, we'll see the return of Enguarde the swordfish, who was actually in all three Rare installments of DKC (unlike Rambi, who was only in DKC1 and DKC2). Given the newfound focus on speed while swimming underwater, bringing in the swordfish would allow Retro to design some lightning-quick levels.

Knowing Retro from the first game, I expect one animal buddy and Enguarde would make the most sense this time around.

Don't expect more than that though.

Rare went crazy with the animal buddies and for the most part, it worked very well.

I kind of hope this isn't true and that there's a healthy mix of underwater and land based sections within these levels. I don't know if I've ever played a platformer that managed to make swimming as fun and dynamic as hopping around on land... That rayman legends world that was mostly swimming was just the worst...

Then again maybe retro's cracked it somehow, who knows.

Neiteio

I kind of hope this isn't true and that there's a healthy mix of underwater and land based sections within these levels. I don't know if I've ever played a platformer that managed to make swimming as fun and dynamic as hopping around on land... That rayman legends world that was mostly swimming was just the worst...

Then again maybe retro's cracked it somehow, who knows.
It's probably a mix of levels where you go both above and below water, I.E. run along a coastline, dive into the water, swim through some trenches, pop back up on the surface, etc.

rawktapus

It's probably a mix of levels where you go both above and below water, I.E. run along a coastline, dive into the water, swim through some trenches, pop back up on the surface, etc.

I think the Dixie Kong trailer showed something like that where they but in a cave. It's probably from that world.

Swimming and water is a much stronger concept to theme a whole world around as opposed to mine carts, so I'm pretty stoked for that one in particular

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about, swimming only really seems to work when it's only one of many mechanics at play.

To their credit retro seems to get this: one of the things that really impressed me about the first trailer was how seamlessly donkey kong transitioned from running on land to diving into the water. There was like zero momentum loss. Makes me think there's going to be a lot of jumping back and forth between land and sea, which should make for an interesting dynamic, especially in world 4.

I believe the whole reason they got rid of water was because it didn't fit into Retro's forward momentum style of level design. Its no coincidence that the only Animal buddy left is the one guy who rushes forward in a purely horizontal fashion.

If they included water, its only because they figured out how to make it a bit more fast paced than normal. Giving you the ability to attack is one, having to keep up with limited air like Sonic(another fast-paced platformer) is another.

Holy shit are people actually talking about the fucking GAME again? I got a question for yallz. The GI interview seemed to indicate that there will be a bonus stage in each world. What are you guys hoping for out of these? Do you want the temple levels to return? Personally I would like these bonus stages to be on par difficulty wise with DKCR's, but I would like to see something other than the temple styled levels. Perhaps this would give Retro and excuse to kind of go crazy with experimental ideas... Maybe each bonus level could be a different animal buddy stage. Or maybe each one could be a virtual boy styled level like we saw concepts of from DKCR. Though even if they were temple stages as long as the difficulty is on par I'd be down for more.

When I want hard hitting social commentary, I turn to Ludwig Von Koopa.

The Von Koopa's come from a long, reputable line of political commentators.

I'm surprised I hadn't heard about his work until now.

Holy shit are people actually talking about the fucking GAME again? I got a question for yallz. The GI interview seemed to indicate that there will be a bonus stage in each world. What are you guys hoping for out of these? Do you want the temple levels to return? Personally I would like these bonus stages to be on par difficulty wise with DKCR's, but I would like to see something other than the temple styled levels. Perhaps this would give Retro and excuse to kind of go crazy with experimental ideas... Maybe each bonus level could be a different animal buddy stage. Or maybe each one could be a virtual boy styled level like we saw concepts of from DKCR. Though even if they were temple stages as long as the difficulty is on par I'd be down for more.

I'd actually be fine with them being "just" like the Temple ones in structure but I get what you are saying.

I think the odds are high they will be like the Temple stages, pretty straight forward but insane difficulty.

vazel

Banned
Tropical Freeze will be better than 3D World.

3D World was great for what it is but while more of the same, Tropical Freeze will be the better platformer.

You can't match the impeccable design of a 2D platformer made right.
As much as we enjoyed 3D World me and my friend shared this sentiment too. I'm hoping for the best with Tropical Freeze

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
wthat in the hell is going on here?
nazis? racists? fascists? hands off my Donkey Kong you bloody tories

Drago

tumblr_mii3x9A9NM1qa7wxro1_400.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
excellent news, I'll play it with the Pad. I was only able to play DKCR because it got a 3DS port

So what did I miss?

Oh, not much. Just Cranky coming out of retirement and being revealed as the Fourth Kong™, the Funkster taking his place as the new shopkeeper (who better?), glorious new David Wise music, that amazing intro with DK Island being frozen, AND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SILHOUETTE LEVEL WE'VE YET TO SEE?

MM6dEnY.jpg

This is a fantastic ride we're on, folks. <3

Look, rawkhawk, i realize you're passionate about the game, and believe me i am too, I'm getting it day one, but uh

Maybe the thread to bump isnt the one with the fanatical right wing nintendo fansite in it

Volotaire

So what did I miss?

Oh, not much. Just Cranky coming out of retirement and being revealed as the Fourth Kong™, the Funkster taking his place as the new shopkeeper (who better?), glorious new David Wise music, that amazing intro with DK Island being frozen, AND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SILHOUETTE LEVEL WE'VE YET TO SEE?

MM6dEnY.jpg

This is a fantastic ride we're on, folks. <3

Welcome back. Haven't seen that shot before, looks gorgeous.

Top Bottom