• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images of construction for Nintendo's new Kyoto headquarters

zsidane

It's not that much bigger than the HQ. The building doesn't take up the whole red box haha.

iIzHkXp-Imgur.jpg

This is a satellite view from April:
VvfeSP0.jpg

Looks like they fixed the parking lot problem with the new HQ :p

All their buildings look depressing?

What's with the air raid sirens and the zombie shutters?

If some form of apocalypse happens, they want to be among the first to know and the best-prepared so that they can be the only video game company left standing in a productive capacity in the aftermath!

L~A

That's a pretty cool building, and I wish it was possible to actually visit it. By the way, the handheld/console hardware divisions were merged back in February 2013. We pmrobably won't see the results of that before quite a few year, with the next handheld/console.

Doesn't look too different, although I like the new windows, and like another member said, looks like they finally fixed that parking lot problem.

BowieZ

Banned
Nintendo so rich they can have a floundering console and still build new headquarters.
Well in truth, this was all signed off years before the release of the Wii U. But in fairness it sounds like difficulties were pinpointed in the 3DS/Wii U development process which in some sense vindicates the new building...

We'll see what comes of this brewing perfect storm for Nintendo...

Looks quite large. I wonder who are going to stay at the old place (if they're keeping it). Guess they need to have a lot of space for the Pokébank servers, too.

That looks like it's about the same size other than the parking lot... You'd think to futureproof it they would build it bigger and/or taller. Sure, they have space to build more buildings if need be, but isn't the point to have everyone under the same roof?

radcliff

This basically confirms a handheld/console hybrid for next generation to me.

When Iwata announced the merging of the handheld and console hardware teams, he specifically said they were not doing this. Just that they would have similar architechtures for easy sharing of assets between platforms. Here is the quote:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Sulik2

Hopefully unifying their engineering teams in the same building will help them make their handheld with HDMI out for their next console. Which is what they should be doing.

LOCK

That looks like it's about the same size other than the parking lot... You'd think to futureproof it they would build it bigger and/or taller. Sure, they have space to build more buildings if need be, but isn't the point to have everyone under the same roof?

Currently the only staff moving to the new building will be the handheld and console R&D staff, around 1500 people. Nintendo is keeping the old building.

It's a wonder so many people fit in the old building to start with. I wonder just how many developments teams are located there. Now with the 1500 gone that leaves room for development teams to expand and grow.

tipoo

Banned
Holy shit, that old HQ looks so depressing. That's where they made all their games?

I remember having the same thought seeing their current HQ. It does look rather drab for such a creative company. But you also have to remember, it's also a very conservative, careful company.

Hermii

Currently the only staff moving to the new building will be the handheld and console R&D staff, around 1500 people. Nintendo is keeping the old building.

It's a wonder so many people fit in the old building to start with. I wonder just how many developments teams are located there. Now with the 1500 gone that leaves room for development teams to expand and grow.

They have 1500 emplyees just doing engineering and R&D? Sounds like an insanely large number.

JoeM86

I remember having the same thought seeing their current HQ. It does look rather drab for such a creative company. But you also have to remember, it's also a very conservative, careful company.

It's also a Japanese building for a Japanese company. They seldom go for flash, they go for designs that can withstand earthquakes and is functional. No point having an interestingly shaped building if it's going to fall over at the first quake

LOCK

They have 1500 emplyees just doing engineering and R&D? Sounds like an insanely large number.

Well I said R&D, Nintendo called them their handheld and console development segments.

Nintendo's R&D does more than hardware development.

L~A

Errr... no. 1500 is the total amount of people that can work in the building, not the Hardware teams. There's roughly 300 people working in Hardware R&D (at least, according to that IGN article, based on that Nikkei article).

1 500 people would be pretty insane just for Hardware R&D. Nintendo is not THAT big...

When Iwata announced the merging of the handheld and console hardware teams, he specifically said they were not doing this. Just that they would have similar architechtures for easy sharing of assets between platforms. Here is the quote:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Ah, thanks for the quote. If there's something I have a hard time understanding is people's obssession with that unified console idea. It's just terrible.

LOCK

Errr... no. 1500 is the total amount of people that can work in the building, not the Hardware teams. There's roughly 300 people working in Hardware R&D (at least, according to that IGN article, based on that Nikkei article).

1 500 people would be pretty insane just for Hardware R&D. Nintendo is not THAT big...

Ah, thanks for the quote. If there's something I have a hard time understanding is people's obssession with that unified console idea. It's just terrible.
Makes more sense, that's why I said R&D in general lol. Plus we know that the hardware R&D guys go into software development sometimes.

Coolwhip

Banned
It's not that much bigger than the HQ. The building doesn't take up the whole red box haha.

iIzHkXp-Imgur.jpg

This is a satellite view from April:
VvfeSP0.jpg

What is the point if its barely bigger? It looks like they are building something smaller on the terrain too though.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The last official Nintendo combined engineer count was ~900, which they divulged about three years ago. Keep in mind this is official NCL employees and doesn't include their off shoot staff from SRD, IS, Mario Club, and subsidiaries.

Nintendo had their internal R&D split into two Kyoto buildings. Central HQ (Nintendo EAD, Nintendo IRD, SRD) and Kyoto Research Institute (Nintendo SPD, Intelligent Systems, Mario Club). This third new building houses around 1500 employees. Meaning, we don't know if Nintendo will be completely evacuating the R&D from the other 2 buildings, to place them all here.

Iwata announced the intent was to create efficiency and expand ALL R&D at Nintendo. Not just hardware.

The last official Nintendo combined engineer count was ~900, which they divulged about three years ago. Keep in mind this is official NCL employees and doesn't include their off shoot staff from SRD, IS, Mario Club, and subsidiaries.

Nintendo had their internal R&D split into two Kyoto buildings. Central HQ (Nintendo EAD, Nintendo IRD, SRD) and Kyoto Research Institute (Nintendo SPD, Intelligent Systems, Mario Club). This third new building houses around 1500 employees. Meaning, we don't know if Nintendo will be completely evacuating the R&D from the other 2 buildings, to place them all here.

Iwata announced the intent was to create efficiency and expand ALL R&D at Nintendo. Not just hardware.
holy shit. they definately need a much higher Headcount

LoveCake

Are there no GAF'ers from (Japan or) nearby to the HQ that could get some more detailed photos ?

I didn't expect the buildings to be like something out of Gotham City or Blade Runners Los Angeles, but these do look a little bit drab really, maybe they should be located in Akihabara (gaming district) in Tokyo ?

Oregano

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Kyoto have strict building regulations? That would probably explain the blandness.

L~A

What's included in that 900 count exactly?

Oh, and by the way, the building is 7 stories + 1 basement.

BowieZ

Banned
This basically confirms a handheld/console hybrid for next generation to me.

I remember Iwata making that quote and I still think they're going to go ahead with a hybrid system where you can use the controllers separately as their own portable system. I'm sure the concept was at least on their radar when they planned the office merge, and I don't see what's so terrible about it. It doesn't affect revenue streams at all, and helps Nintendo avoid software droughts.

Anyway, Iwata said that over a year ago, no? Before Wii U was clearly irreparable? Iwata is always changing tacks.

Edit: the quote is from Feb 1, 2013.

I'd imagine they will keep old building as well

(or will it get torn down?)

Yes, the old building is being retained as the corporate headquarters. Iwata's office isn't moving anywhere. The new building is for their software and hardware R&D teams, which are being merged into the same building.

The new building reminds me of this:
Central_Bureaucracy.jpg

Daedardus

So will Iwata and Miyamoto move to the new building or stay?

They will move to the nursing home when they get fired later this year.
Joking :)

Looks pretty ok to me. A mix of modern and 'standard' architecture. The stuff they are building nowadays in my medieval city just clashes with all the rest. This seems to fit in better with the background.

nkarafo

A new building? Isn't that a sign that they are doing fine despite the doomsday-ish apocalyptic-ish talk about WiiU's failure?

I guess haters will have to wait a few more generations to play Nintendo games on their stupid smartphones eh?

Bit-Bit

Nintendo is just using that Wii and DS money that they saved up. They have enough of that money to not release a game for this entire generation and still operate.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What's included in that 900 count exactly?

Oh, and by the way, the building is 7 stories + 1 basement.

900 engineers. Basically software and hardware engineers.

Does anybody know when they moved into their current building??

I think the building is still empty. But it is literally an any day now kind of move. It definitely took a bit longer than projected.

big_z

The 3DS is already 3 years old as of next month. IMHO, we'll get at least a DSi style reimagining in 2 years, if not a successor system. I'm betting on a successor.

the DS line lasted 7 years. Nintendo handhelds have long life spans and I would expect 3DS still has at least 3-4 years in it before getting replaced. that would make perfect timing for the next gen console to be released along side it or simply a hybrid solo platform.

for some reason some gaffers seem to have their mindset on Nintendo releasing a new handheld soon. I think kids with their ever shortening attention spans forget Nintendo isn't selling cell phones, new models don't come out every year.

Holy shit, that old HQ looks so depressing. That's where they made all their games?

inside is boring sterile white as well. I think Nintendo believes if they remove all enjoyment and distraction to the senses employees will create worlds to escape into providing they don't use the infamous suicide room instead.

entremet

It's also a Japanese building for a Japanese company. They seldom go for flash, they go for designs that can withstand earthquakes and is functional. No point having an interestingly shaped building if it's going to fall over at the first quake

Yeah, people forget that Japan has very strict building codes due to earthquakes. You are limited in the type of construction.

Kouriozan

A new building? Isn't that a sign that they are doing fine despite the doomsday-ish apocalyptic-ish talk about WiiU's failure?

I guess haters will have to wait a few more generations to play Nintendo games on their stupid smartphones eh?

No layoff too, and even better, they keep recruiting new people.

Top Bottom