• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official North American Lost Odyssey Thread

lobanner.jpg

Background Info

Lost Odyssey is a Japanese turn based RPG produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi(creator of Final Fantasy) and developed by Feel Plus and Mistwalker(Blue Dragon). The Feel Plus team is made up former members of Nautilus, known for the Shadow Hearts games on the PS2. Character designs are by famed manga artist Takehiko Inoue(Slam Dunk). Music is by famous Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu. Another noteworthy fact is the game features mini text based stories by Kiyoshi Shigematsu. Known as the The Thousand Years Dreams, these segments in the game are not voiced and are meant to detail the back story of the games immortal characters. The game is being published worldwide by Microsoft Game Studios and uses Unreal Engine 3.0. The US release is February 12, 2008, with a Euro release on the 29th according to wiki. The game ships on 4 disc with a length estimated at around 50 hours.

Hironobu Sakaguchi Wiki
Takehiko Inoue Wiki
Nobuo Uetmatsu Wiki
Lost Odyssey Wiki

Story Info
Lost Odyssey takes place in a world on the brink of an industrial revolution but magic is still common place. The story focuses on Kaim, an immortal who has lived for 1000's of years. The story will takes through Kaim's journey as we see the effects of actually living for a 1000 years.

Gameplay Info
The game's gameplay has been noted as being similar to FFX. Its also been noted that it takes elements of Shadow Heart's Judgment Ring system. In battle the game uses a special trigger system, meaning pressing the right trigger button when the 2 on screen circles overlap increases the success of your attack. Equipment also effects what a successful "trigging" can do. Outside of battle though it seems to be your typical JRPG. Though, in an effort to decrease grinding, dungeons have a level cap.

Reviews

Weekly Famitsu: 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
Famitsu Xbox360: 10/8/9/8 (35/40)
1up:8.0
IGN:8.2
IGN AU:8.0
Gamespot:7.5
Game Trailers:8.8
Xplay:3 out of 5
Eurogamer: 8
Teamxbox:8.3
Gamespy:2.5
Gametap:7

Media

Boxart(US)
Lost_Odyssey.jpg

Crappy Case
PIC-0070.jpg

Screens
790_0010.jpg

790_0004.jpg

790_0007.jpg

790_0001.jpg

790_0011.jpg

790_0009.jpg

790_0006.jpg

790_0004.jpg

Video
Lost Odyssey Tv Ad
Intro SD
Intro HD
GT Preview SD
GT Preview HD
TGS 07 Trailer SD
TGS 07 Trailer HD
E3 07 Trailer SD
E3 07 Trailer HD
X06 Trailer SD
X06 Trailer HD
Gameplay SD
Gameplay HD
Gamplay 2 SD
First Trailer

Music
Battle Theme
Main Theme

Links
Game trailers LO
Gamersdye LO
Gaf Japanese release thread

Thanks
Gamersdye for the screens
Game Trailers for the videos
duckroll for the info and basically everyone in the Japanese release thread.
FateBreaker for the help
suzu for the banner

Sorry for the false start!

Buy Lost Odyssey!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So this is the one we talk about devil may cry in right? While comparing it to NG for no particular reason?:lol

Looking forward to the thread and game ^_^

I got this game preordered from walmart.com
I took the standard delivery. so i'll get it a week after it's release :lol

It gives me time to hear about the impression if it has improved from the JP version [doubt it] and then i'll decide to keep the game or not. [most likely keep since i want to say i bought a 360 game]

Quazar

I saw LO commercial on History channel about 30min ago. Never see game commercials on this channel unless it's their game.

So so far I know of it being on History, ESPN, ESPN2. Anyone else seen it on a different network yet?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This will be my first RPG since FFIX. Hopefully I will enjoy it as much as FFVII.

clashfan

Quazar said:
I saw LO commercial on History channel about 30min ago. Never see game commercials on this channel unless it's their game.

So so far I know of it being on History, ESPN, ESPN2. Anyone else seen it on a different network yet?

I saw it on g4 tv.

Quazar said:

Wow, really? MS, you're impressing me.

Saterium

Quazar said:

Twas on TLC in Canada a few hours ago..

P.S - I cant wait for this game, so long as it's more story driven then Blue Dragon I'll be happy. Been dying for an RPG since FF12 (Eternal Sonata sucked).

Oh and the commercial played as I was typing this. I think the TV is watching me.

Ok I seem to have it all fixed right now.

I'm really bad at spelling but it should be better now. Since it was the last thing I fixed.

Um I don't have photoshop so I just made a banner in paint. I'm really bad at that kinda stuff, so if someone has a banner please send it to me.

I'm really sorry for the crappy beginning and lame battle system write up.

Surfheart

It's out in Australia as of 4th Feb.

Picked my copy up last night and enjoying it so far.

The difficulty of the
Griffon Battle at the Great Staff was WTF hard

Synless

God I love the classic world map, the last game before blue dragon that I can think of off hand to have one was on ps1.

Rahxephon91 said:

I'm really bad at spelling but it should be better now. Since it was the last thing I fixed.

Um I don't have photoshop so I just made a banner in paint. I'm really bad at that kinda stuff, so if someone has a banner please send it to me.

Don't apologize, improve!!

Synless

Rahxephon91 said:

Looks good to me man, good job. I can't wait for the game. I've had it pre-ordered forever now.

SeeeeK

Banned
Ctrl+F Final Fantasy, Only twice in this thread so far pretty impressed.
Seriously though, really looking forward to this and I hope it's marketed alot better than BD was.

Bildi

Surfheart said:

The difficulty of the
What?! I had no idea this was coming so soon.

Just when I though there would be a lull in releases and my wallet could recover :(

IGN AU review is up - 8.0. http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849907p1.html

8.0 Presentation
The nondescript menu system is wholly JRPG in tradition. Clean, effective, easy to follow. Overall, the game also keeps UI to a minimum.

9.0 Graphics
Outstanding almost every respect - art direction, animation, textures, lighting. It is, unfortunately, hampered by framerate and screen-tearing.

7.0 Sound
Although the voice-acting is mostly solid, the score is forgettable. The environmental audio is excellent, however.

7.5 Gameplay
It all works - despite AI and balancing issues - but the real problem isn't the gameplay itself, but the concepts behind. It's all been done before.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
It's monsterously large, coming on four DVDs and more hours than is probably healthy - which is a good thing for JRPG fans. There's a lot of gameplay for your buck.

8.0 OVERALL

I guess the ordinary IGN review goes up in a couple of hours.

jvalioli

Quazar said:

I saw the commercial a couple of times on TBS and I -think- on AMC.

TommyT

This will be a first day purchase... assuming we don't have to wait an extra day for it to be delivered.

I saw a add on Adult Swim last night.

I hope to get it on the 12th but I need $30 to finnish of my pre-order.

If I get it though, I will be unable to play as I just recently sent my 360 in because of the RROD.

I've been hyped for this game ever since the first trailer. It just looks awesome.

The_Dude

Surfheart said:

The difficulty of the
I got it yesterday and am really enjoying it, too. I can see it copping a lot of flack for being very traditional, much like Blue Dragon did, but that doesn't worry me personally.

harSon

Banned
Logical Disconnect said:
IGN AU review is up - 8.0. http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849907p1.html

8.0 Presentation
The nondescript menu system is wholly JRPG in tradition. Clean, effective, easy to follow. Overall, the game also keeps UI to a minimum.

9.0 Graphics
Outstanding almost every respect - art direction, animation, textures, lighting. It is, unfortunately, hampered by framerate and screen-tearing.

7.0 Sound
Although the voice-acting is mostly solid, the score is forgettable. The environmental audio is excellent, however.

7.5 Gameplay
It all works - despite AI and balancing issues - but the real problem isn't the gameplay itself, but the concepts behind. It's all been done before.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
It's monsterously large, coming on four DVDs and more hours than is probably healthy - which is a good thing for JRPG fans. There's a lot of gameplay for your buck.

8.0 OVERALL

I guess the ordinary IGN review goes up in a couple of hours.

The score is forgettable? Not really. And gameplay being done before is not a valid reason to knock a game for... Good gameplay is good gameplay, whether it's innovative or not is a non issue.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Quazar said:

It's on the military channel every other commercial break. Now that's how you target your shooter audience and try to convince them to get this game.

Top Bottom