• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Ingame XMB confirmed

ascii42

Interesting, I wonder if that was supposed to be put up during GDC or something. Wouldn't surprise me, since that stuff is important for Devs to know.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pointed it out in the home thread..For reference, the current "Friends & Messaging" section does not talk about chatting with friends during gameplay. I know some games do support voice chat, but...putting that in the friends & messaging section makes it sound like it isn't a game specific, nor a online specific, thing.

Dwayne said:
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Network

is the link to the PSN section of playstation.com's website, not /PSN/

fake.

It's not fake, that page was indeed there but a few hours ago.

Check the home thread here, from post 1222 onward:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234552&page=25

Clinton514 reported it, but it went fairly unnoticed because it was during GAF's "dead time".

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
That wording is pretty.....I dunno.

"talk to friends during gameplay..." It seems very, shifty. I can talk to friends during gameplay, provided they're in the same game. However, it is interesting they took it down. We all know it's coming, it will just be nice to know when.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
squatingyeti said:
That wording is pretty.....I dunno.

"talk to friends during gameplay..."

Yeah, but it's under 'friends & messaging'. The current friends & messaging blurb says nothing about communicating in gameplay. And they don't qualify it as "online game play", which might lead one to think they could just be talking about the current setup, with voice chat in some online games, as provided by the games.

If this is functionality to be provided by "friends and messaging", it more suggests xmb messaging to me..but we'll see.

For comparison. The current blurb is this:

* Friends list
* Text messages
* Audio and video chat**

That page had it as:

Talk to others during game play, say hello anytime you're online, or have a vdieo chat with an Eye camera, USB camera or headset.

There is a change there, and in both cases it seems to be referring to xmb functionality.

I also can't see what else that was potentially "sensitive" that would warrant taking down the page..the only other thing that quite of stuck out to me was mention of exchanging "user created content" in your apartment in Home, on the linked to home page. Then again, I guess that 'just' means photos/music/video as already announced.

yeah it took sony a long time to get in game xmb,

but it also took Microsoft long time to get there hardware to stop breaking, but maybe they still haven't got that done

belvedere

Junior Butler
typhonsentra said:
And it only took... a year and a half?

10102420apeter-falk-columbo-posters.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Metalmurphy said:
Where on that screenshot shows anything XMB related? oO

The train of thought is this. The current "Friends & Messaging" description is this:

mjs683.jpg

The one on this new page was:

e5l1k7.jpg

The addition of "Talk to others during game play" seems deliberate..? Maybe suggests in-game 'friends & messaging'?

Yes, it could mean the application-specific voice chat you have in some online games now, but that's not 'friends & messaging' functionality. It could also mean the xmb friendslist some games implement. But if it were just that, why not list this as a feature before? We'll see, I guess, one can but hope :p I mean, we know it's coming, the significance of this might be that it could be coming sooner rather than later.

Next week will prove interesting. Cause either we will all be happy for finally getting solid dates for home/in-game xmb, or we'll be pissed because we failed to get either... we shall see.

derder

Yay! Feature Parity!

Now how about something the XB360 hasn't had for 2 years?

I don't like this "catch-up" thing. I'm tired of my friends making fun of my ps3!

belvedere

Junior Butler
derder said:
Yay! Feature Parity!

Now how about something the XB360 hasn't had for 2 years?

I don't like this "catch-up" thing. I'm tired of my friends making fun of my ps3!

You see, time goes by a lot quicker for PS3 owners. Their systems actually work for the duration.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
belvedere said:
You see, time goes by a lot quicker for PS3 owners. Their systems actually work for the duration.

I was going to say something similar to this but you beat me to the punch!

miketysonspunchout_screen002.jpg

Top Bottom