• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo initiates 9.5 million share buyback ($1 billion, Yamauchi inheritance)

Edit: Can a mod edit "acquire". :p

As they announced to acquire "up to 10.000.000 shares" on Jan. 29, they plan to acquire up to 9.500.000 shares at a price of 12.025 Yen tomorrow.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140203e.pdf
nints3xk9s.png

li bur

Buyback? not going to help really. They need to do something more substantial to sustain their share prices.

Treasury stock is often created when shares of a company are initially issued. In this case, not all shares are issued to the public, as some are kept in the companies treasury to be used to create extra cash should it be needed. Another reason may be to keep a controlling interest within the treasury to help ward off hostile takeovers.

Mandoric

Banned
And why are they doing it?

Yamauchi's heirs want out, and that volume on the open market would utterly tank the price.

It's something forced by the shareholders, who would otherwise take a huge loss, and it puts a MAJOR kink in their liquidity. (more than 25% of their cash or around 15% of their total liquid assets go into their own stock that they'll have to trickle back out slowly to keep the price competitive).

On the other hand, it is also an effective takeover defense.

Acorn

First time in Nintendo's history that the Yamauchi family hasn't owned a part of the company(I think?)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the recent interview with Nikkei, Iwata stated this

We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses. We are considering M&As [mergers and acquisitions] as an option. For this reason, we'll step up share buybacks.

kmax

Definition of 'Treasury Stock (Treasury Shares)'

The portion of shares that a company keeps in their own treasury. Treasury stock may have come from a repurchase or buyback from shareholders; or it may have never been issued to the public in the first place. These shares don't pay dividends, have no voting rights, and should not be included in shares outstanding calculations.

Investopedia explains 'Treasury Stock (Treasury Shares)'

Treasury stock is often created when shares of a company are initially issued. In this case, not all shares are issued to the public, as some are kept in the companies treasury to be used to create extra cash should it be needed. Another reason may be to keep a controlling interest within the treasury to help ward off hostile takeovers.

Alternatively, treasury stock can be created when a company does a share buyback and purchases its shares on the open market. This can be advantageous to shareholders because it lowers the number of shares outstanding. However, not all buybacks are a good thing. For example, if a company merely buys stock to improve financial ratios such as EPS or P/E, then the buyback is detrimental to the shareholders, and it is done without the shareholders' best interests in mind.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/treasurystock.asp

The more you know.

Yamauchi's heirs want out, and that volume on the open market would utterly tank the price.

It's something forced by the shareholders, who would otherwise take a huge loss, and it puts a MAJOR kink in their liquidity. (more than 25% of their cash or around 15% of their total liquid assets go into their own stock that they'll have to trickle back out slowly to keep the price competitive).

On the other hand, it is also an effective takeover defense.

This is accurate.

A "buy back" like this, set in motion by Yamauchi's death, is unfortunate in the short term as it eats from their war chest, but the alternative would absolutely kill the stock price and upset the stock holders (even more than usual).

And as Mandoric said, it's a good defense strategy, as well as a good long term investment if they are still in the business of buying back as much as possible of the stocks. In any case, they'll get their money back eventually if they decide to trickle the stocks back out.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This is accurate.

A "buy back" like this, set in motion by Yamauchi's death, is unfortunate in the short term as it eats from their war chest, but the alternative would absolutely kill the stock price and upset the stock holders (even more than usual).

And as Mandoric said, it's a good defense strategy, as well as a good long term investment if they are still in the business of buying back as much as possible of the stocks. In any case, they'll get their money back eventually if they decide to trickle the stocks back out.

Wouldn't trickling them back out again onto the open market from treasury stocks have a detrimental effect on the stock price due to dilution though?

Wouldn't trickling them back out again onto the open market from treasury stocks have a detrimental effect on the stock price due to dilution though?

Would depend on how much they release onto the market and how often, I think?

Since they're putting it in the treasury vault I'm guessing they won't do that, though.

Zabant

Nintendo wants full control of their own company. This will push out any investors urging them to make mobile games or to go third party.

Mandoric

Banned

Yes, but it'll come as a gradual penalty rather than one huge blow that will trigger many other investors cutting their losses by bailing out. It can also be timed for when the company's performing better.

nib95

Banned
Is it not a good idea to buy some Nintendo shares then? Wouldn't such an acquisition of shares bump up the price tomorrow?

Mandoric

Banned
Is it not a good idea to buy some Nintendo shares then? Wouldn't such an acquisition of shares bump up the price tomorrow?

It seems to be seller-driven, rather than buyer-driven; the Yamauchi heirs are getting out of the company and management is holding the price even by offering to repurchase directly.

The interesting part is that Yamauchi owned 14.5m shares and this covers 9.5m. Are they reducing their holdings rather than bailing completely? Is one heir holding while the other two are getting out? Or was management only prepared to spend this much, leaving the rest to hit the market (which will still likely cause a near-catastrophic dip)?

This is a good thing, right?

Not good, but not as bad as the alternative.

Yamauchi's hiers want out? Wow.
The official line was they have to sell some share to pay inheritance tax. But hey let's jump to conclusions and read into it like "they dun like Iwator" instead.

I'm not sure if shares have inheritance tax paid right off or if they pay capital gains upon sale of share.

Yamauchi's hiers want out? Wow.

Not exactly. Inheritance taxes are almost ~50% in Japan so they have to sell to pay tax authorities. My understanding is that the shares are being transferred directly to Yamauchi's grandchildren for tax purposes - and a big chunk of the cash that was inherited was set aside explicitly towards covering the cost basis of the stocks that were inherited to minimize the burden on NCL.

Four or five shareholders will still own collectively ~7% of the company net if if I understand correctly.

There may be some stipulation in Yamauchi's will assigning voting rights to NCL management as well - but with the assurance that NCL will agree to buy out the shares over time.

Overall it would be down from 11.1% that Yamauchi owned... The rest of the shares are being acquired to protect against a potential hostile takeover and support stock price - but as Yamauchi's family members sell off over the next few years - NCL is going to have to foot the bill for those repurchases so my sense is that you will see Nintendo buy another 10% of the company back - adding to the existing pools of 10% and 8% (today). Depending on what rights management has in terms of the use of treasury shares - it means the current board can keep itself in power for a very long time without worrying about meeting short-term financial objectives. Effectively a pseudo-management buyout.

Dremark

Banned
The official line was they have to sell some share to pay inheritance tax. But hey let's jump to conclusions and read into it like "they dun like Iwator" instead.

I'm not sure if shares have inheritance tax paid right off or if they pay capital gains upon sale of share.

That wasn't how I was taking it. I was surprised that the family was bailing considering the extremely long history of the company, although I am in my cell phone and didn't try to look at the document. Iwata didn't even come to mind.

Dremark

Banned
Not exactly. Inheritance taxes are almost ~50% in Japan so they have to sell to pay tax authorities. My understanding is that the shares are being transferred directly to Yamauchi's grandchildren for tax purposes - and a big chunk of the cash that was inherited was set aside explicitly towards covering the cost basis of the stocks that were inherited to minimize the burden on NCL.

Four or five shareholders will still own collectively ~7% of the company net if if I understand correctly.

There may be some stipulation in Yamauchi's will assigning voting rights to NCL management as well - but with the assurance that NCL will agree to buy out the shares over time.

Overall it would be down from 11.1% that Yamauchi owned... The rest of the shares are being acquired to protect against a potential hostile takeover and support stock price - but as Yamauchi's family members sell off over the next few years - NCL is going to have to foot the bill for those repurchases so my sense is that you will see Nintendo buy another 10% of the company back - adding to the existing pools of 10% and 8% (today). Depending on what rights management has in terms of the use of treasury shares - it means the current board can keep itself in power for a very long time without worrying about meeting short-term financial objectives. Effectively a pseudo-management buyout.

I'm on my phone so I didn't pull up the document, thank you for the breakdown.

Top Bottom