• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black and White is region free! (maybe there's hope for 3DS after all!)

According to our resident VOOK here, the Australian version of Pokemon White (DSi enhanced) works on a Japanese 3DS. This means that region locks on DSi games are not mandatory and actually work like the 360's region encoding (meaning that developers can choose to either have region locking or none at all)

Pokemon White Australian version running on a Japanese 3DS

UpLRD.jpg

Hopefully this also carries over to 3DS retail software! Maybe there's hope for those future JPN exclusive games like Ouendan after all! (Oh and for those wondering, it is running in DSi mode, not DS mode meaning that all the DSi enhancements are still accessible)

Salsa

Doesnt Vook have a review copy ? maybe there's something special about it.

I wouldnt hold my breath on this.

SalsaShark said:
Doesnt Vook have a review copy ? maybe there's something special about it.

I wouldnt hold my breath on this.

Review copies are retail copies. I have yet to experience a review copy not being sealed retail.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LOL not that it matter with a huge retail release. Most of the west is getting it at the same time so it's nice to know but what about the games that we really want to play that are never coming or not out yet? Most of the time this makes no difference since I can hardly get by a game in Japanese so I normally have to wait it out for the potential US release anyways.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
When I got it, it was sealed.

I've also tried Sonic Classic Collection the AU/EU version and that doesn't load.

The Japanese version of Pokemon Black (and White) is still locked and won't play on an AU console.

The JP Black/White also loads on my Japanese DSi.

Balboa

Damn I forgot about DSi region locking, getting Pokemon White PAL version this week I have a Japanese DS Lite so I hope this is true.

Balboa said:
Damn I forgot about DSi region locking, getting Pokemon White PAL version this week I have a Japanese DS Lite so I hope this is true.

DS Lite has no region locking anyway so it's guaranteed to work.

It's only when you play DSi enhanced games on a DSi or 3DS where region locking may apply.

Balboa

Nuclear Muffin said:
DS Lite has no region locking anyway so it's guaranteed to work.

It's only when you play DSi enhanced games on a DSi or 3DS where region locking may apply.
Oh I see thanks.

VOOK

Also I can confirm there is WPA in a DSi and 3DS for Pokemon Black and White.

Soulhouf

Nobody did verify this since the Japanese launch? Or the fact that the Japanese version is region locked is confirmed?
I am still confused.
Anyway ,great news.

VOOK

soulhouf said:
Nobody did verify this since the Japanese launch? Or the fact that the Japanese version is region locked is confirmed?
I am still confused.
Anyway ,great news.

No one but me in the world has a Japanese 3DS or DSi and an English Pokemon Black and White.

No one thought to try it.

Maybe there is hope they've dropped the region locks complet...
VOOK said:
I've also tried Sonic Classic Collection the AU/EU version and that doesn't load.
Ah nuts. Still maybe there is hope...of future DSi Enhanced games not being locked?

VOOK said:
All DSi enhanced Wi-Fi games have this when palyed on DSi (Fire Emblem DS 2 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong being recent first party examples). Makes sense it applies to 3DS as well. Its a shame they can't make DS games work with WPA (the games only communitate to that as the netcode is in the games and it looks up the BIOS connection info...is there any technical way to trick the firmware into making a fake WEP connection that older games will connect through? in any case probably not worth it as Nintendo would rather you stop playing Mario Kart DS and buy Mario Kart 3D).

Starwolf_UK said:
Maybe there is hope they've dropped the region locks complet...

Ah nuts. Still maybe there is hope...of future DSi Enhanced games not being locked?

All DSi enhanced Wi-Fi games have this when palyed on DSi (Fire Emblem DS 2 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong being recent first party examples). Makes sense it applies to 3DS as well. Its a shame they can't make DS games work with WPA (the games only communitate to that as the netcode is in the games and it looks up the BIOS connection info...is there any technical way to trick the firmware into making a fake WEP connection that older games will connect through? in any case probably not worth it as Nintendo would rather you stop playing Mario Kart DS and buy Mario Kart 3D).

That's probably only possible through emulation (3DS seems to use the original DSi GPU/CPU), otherwise Nintendo would've surely done it with the 3DS.

BTW Vooks, I don't suppose you could try Mario VS DK Miniland Mayhem and some other 3DS games for us as well? It's worth a shot at least!

VOOK

I don't have it, I guess I could borrow it from my friends at 'unspecified retailer'.

Oh took a new picture;

pokeblackon3ds.jpg

VOOK said:
I don't have it, I guess I could borrow it from my friends at 'unspecified retailer'.

I don't suppose you could try out the 3DS games you have to hand on each region 3DS?

Oh and I hate you for making that picture. The wait for Black & White and the 3DS is SOO LONG!!!

VOOK

Nuclear Muffin said:
I don't suppose you could try out the 3DS games you have to hand on each region 3DS?

Oh and I hate you for making that picture. The wait for Black & White is SOO LONG!!!

:p

I only have a Japanese 3DS and Japanese 3DS games, the first thing I do when I get the Aussie versions of either will be to test it.

Kirby102

Would this mean that the Japanese 3DS console is the ultimate 3DS console to have? Since it can play both Japanese AND English* games?

* Australian, for now? Haha. :D

VOOK said:
:p

I only have a Japanese 3DS and Japanese 3DS games, the first thing I do when I get the Aussie versions of either will be to test it.

Oh, I thought that you had an Aussie 3DS. Never mind!

Keep us posted!

ShockingAlberto said:
It's probably an exception rather than a change in policy.

An exception IS a change in policy! (since previously all games were region locked without exceptions)

It places the DSi (and probably 3DS) into the same category as the 360, where some games are region free!

It's miles better than having all games region locked, at least now we have a (small) chance of playing JPN only games on English consoles!

Did Nintendo ever confirm it will be 'PAL' as in stuff from Europe will work on Aus/NZ 3DSs? A little off-topic I know but was just wondering if it had been confirmed by them or it was just assumed until people can test.

VOOK

Conrad Link said:
Did Nintendo ever confirm it will be 'PAL' as in stuff from Europe will work on Aus/NZ 3DSs? A little off-topic I know but was just wondering if it had been confirmed by them or it was just assumed until people can test.

They said there is 3 regions. JP, US and EU/AU.

Conrad Link said:

Historically, Europe and Australia have always been counted as the same region. I see no reason why this would change.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well it's good to know. It will be more of an issue when a Japan only game actually interests me.

Also forgot Pokemon was coming out so soon. I better order it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uh... Black/White is a (3-enhanced?)DS game. Why wouldn't it be region free?

Unless you're talking 3DS software locking DS games, which would be WTF as DS/DSi's play DS games from other regions just fine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Dutch Slayer said:
euuuuh DUH?????

I'm missing something here of course its region free its a DS game not a 3DS game.....

I don't get it.
DSi enhanced games are region locked. The Japanese version of Pokemon Black/White was region locked.

I just want to do a pre-order for Euro Pilotwings but didn't want it to show up and go SURPRISE! I don't work!

Why isn't this a stupid launch game NAL, still fail of epic variety. >_>

Makes me want to rethink migrating to a NTSC system 'later on' rather than first.

VOOK

Argh not this shit again.

Nintendo DS games: Region Free and always will

Nintendo DSi enhanced games: Region locked*

Nintendo DSi only games: Region locked

*Except for Pokemon Black and White (Aussie version so far)

slaughterking said:
Pokemon is a DSi enhanced game which all used to be region-locked.

Is this the first major Nintendo DSi game btw?

Nope. Face Training (DSi Only and also Europe only), Mario VS DK Miniland Mayhem and Fire Emblem Mystery of The Emblem (currently JPN only) all pre-date Pokemon B&W.

That being said, Pokemon B&W is by far the most important and high profile DSi enhanced game so far.

slaughterking said:
Is this the first major Nintendo DSi game btw?
I guess so. Unless you count DSi only "Face Training: Stpuidly long name because thats how NOE roll" which you shouldn't as it was a bomba due to being like 40 Euros, that was only DSi only so Nintendo didn't have to make the slot 2 camera the Japanese release had (thus the costs of brining it over fell dramatically way to pass that to the consumers morons).

Given the other DSi enhanced games Nintendo pulbished were basically. Features: WPA Wi-Fi.

Short answer. Yes.

Edit: Beaten.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nope. Face Training (DSi Only and also Europe only), Mario VS DK Miniland Mayhem and Fire Emblem Mystery of The Emblem (currently JPN only) all pre-date Pokemon B&W.

That being said, Pokemon B&W is by far the most major DSi enhanced game so far.
Ah, I see. I'll accept MvsDK as somewhat major. :p And their respective US/EU versions were all region-locked?

VOOK said:

Please let this be true for the American release as well. I would love to be able to access the wifi features without needing to switch the security settings.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's probably an exception rather than a change in policy.
Seems like it. This is what I read on Eurogamer:

Eurogamer said:
Game cards are identical to the DS' slim plastic cartridges, apart from a protruding notch (presumably so you can feel the difference in your pocket). We can confirm that the software is locked by region; inserting one of our Japanese 3DS games into our European machine produces no result at all – it's as if no card has been inserted. This remains a deeply disappointing decision for handheld devices which will be taking a lot of long-haul flights. (However,our European and Japanese 3DS consoles were able to swap data via StreetPass.)

mclem

Nuclear Muffin said:
According to our resident VOOK here, the Australian version of Pokemon White (DSi enhanced) works on a Japanese 3DS. This means that region locks on DSi games are not mandatory and actually work like the 360's region encoding (meaning that developers can choose to either have region locking or none at all)

Has anyone tried asking Atlus (or a similar company, like XSeed)? They'd have a vested interest in their games being accessible to Europeans, and we know they're developing for the 3DS. At the very least, they must be interested in finding out if it's a publisher's choice matter, and asking them would at least convey that there is a market out there that players in the EU are willing to do the necessary legwork for.

i don't know things

do you need a DS to trade between Pokemon black and white or can you use a 3DS? alt. can you trade from a DS to a 3DS and vice-versa?

Forkball

The 3DS being region locked is the sole reason I'm not getting it day one. I can't believe Nintendo would make such a decision after the DS.

xSL4INx

I'm not sure how his copy works, but I'm still cautious about it.

My Japanese copy of White not playing on my American DSi says otherwise.

mclem said:
Has anyone tried asking Atlus (or a similar company, like XSeed)? They'd have a vested interest in their games being accessible to Europeans, and we know they're developing for the 3DS. At the very least, they must be interested in finding out if it's a publisher's choice matter, and asking them would at least convey that there is a market out there that players in the EU are willing to do the necessary legwork for.
On the Xbox360 developers decide (though IIRC the whole thing comes down to getting the game approved for each region so it costs slightly more) and for Deathsmiles Cave didn't allow it to be region free as that would basically mean a liscence for Europe would be less valuable. Deathsmiles just came out in Europe and did shockingly well considering the genre so they may have had a point there.

So basically for Xbox 360 is publisher choice but they need to respect the wishes of the original developer/the contract.

In any case it would probably be best to ask when either of those companies starts a localisation as I think its too early for them to really know.
In an ideal world we would get a straighht answer from Nintendo but they like being secretive to the point of sheer frustration and tears

Oh BTW, I just got the game (EU version)

For those wondering about it being region free, I've just tried it on my US DSi. SUCCESS!!! It works just fine!!!

So that's it confirmed then. DSi (and almost certainly 3DS games) can choose to be region free, putting both consoles into the same category as the 360!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh BTW, I just got the game (EU version)

For those wondering about it being region free, I've just tried it on my US DSi. SUCCESS!!! It works just fine!!!

So that's it confirmed then. DSi (and almost certainly 3DS games) can choose to be region free, putting both consoles into the same category as the 360!
sogood.gif

I hope all Atlus US titles to Be Region-free......please .....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nuclear Muffin said:

that special category of 'occasional games being region free, just enough to get your hopes up, but 95% of the games you'd actually like to import and play will be region locked'?

Top Bottom