• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asura's Wrath |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The demo was so boring to me. The cutscenes were too frequent and long to hold my interest in the gameplay.

This thread is not for how little you liked the demo.

Pretty pumped for Asura's Wrath loved the demo, sadly i wont be able to pick the game up on release but ill be buying it as soon as possible.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
If people aren't willing to do any research about something before they buy it, then it's kind of hard to give them anything more than a little sympathy.

I'm just saying this game is kind of misleading (as shown by the boxart). Some people might expect something else and get something entirely different. That doesn't apply to every game.

I'm just saying this game is kind of misleading (as shown by the boxart). Some people might expect something else and get something entirely different. That doesn't apply to every game.

How is the box art any more misleading for this game than it is for the average game?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
How is the box art any more misleading for this game than it is for the average game?

Someone already posted it in this thread:
tumblr_lzjxfoIX4e1qm0zywo1_500.jpg

Volcynika

The game is full of action and it has Asura going against enemies where the odds are clearly stacked against him. AKA marketing speak.

Haha well that whole blurb is so hyperbolic, it's hard for me to take it seriously. But yeah I suppose if someone took that quote to mean this was going to be like Dark Souls or something, they would be pretty disappointed.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's not technically incorrect. There is a fuckload of action. It's just your interaction is minimal.

The first half, okay I can see that. But not alot of people would expect a game with very minimal interaction; as Asura's Wrath is a very unique game.

The second half, what?

Monocle

Will rent. Too bad about the gameplay. Imagine what this game would have been like with a Bayonetta-quality combat system.

Will rent. Too bad about the gameplay. Imagine what this game would have been like with a Bayonetta-quality combat system.

Yeah, I would have loved another game that plays exactly like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, etc...

I wanted the exact same game again, just different characters.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It would be a game I'd have zero interest in playing, in that case.

Yeah, I would have loved another game that plays exactly like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, God of War, etc...

And now people are actually saying they'd prefer that it not have stellar gameplay to go along with the anime nonsense over-the-top-excitement?

Oh my.

Ken

If the QTEs are cool like Vanquish QTEs I'll pick this up.

I enjoy pressing buttons and having cool stuff happen.

Yeah but generally being a game is better than it not being a game, as it stands it does have the occasional "combat" but it is fiercely bad. Honestly this game just has the "we don't give a shit" feeling about pretty much anything related to player input.

Also holy shit at implying the games you listed play the same.

d0c_zaius

There actually is some combat, it isnt 95% cutscenes. And its quite possible to lose some of those fights if you just randomly button mash. They also have a nice pace and a great animation style, which people should be familiar with if they played the Naruto PS3 games. I didn't find it fiercely bad at all, especially since many things it uses are standards in action games (hold button for heavy attack, roll dodge, mixing melee and ranged). I also dont see how it comes off as not giving a shit about player input when the combat mechanics felt responsive and for the most part useful.

While the combat isn't revolutionary, I think it provides a nice change from the QTEs and the Panzer Dragoon sequences. Of course the game being made to look like an anime series wont appeal to everyone, and neither will the 60$ price point, but I think the game will find a niche audience to appreciate what the game offers and what the intentions of the designers were.

I was definitely surprised. Of course that demo didn't help, and its unfortunate they chose such an out of place portion of the game to offer a taste of what the whole package offered. They really should have spent more time showing off the combat sequences and leaving the cutscenes to be discovered.

There also should have been an option after completing the game for a combat only challenge room or something with leaderboards.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People like the game for what it is and enjoyed the demo?

Oh my.

Do people like it because of it's non-interactivity or despite it? Imagine the same game, but with a more sophisticated combat system between the QTEs. How could that not be definitively better?

It's fine to want this game, but do you really think it's perfect just the way it is? Could not the "experience" of an interactive anime involve a better quality of player interaction and still achieve the game's intended purpose?

Torraz

Do people like it because of it's non-interactivity or despite it? Imagine the same game, but with a more sophisticated combat system between the QTEs. How could that not be definitively better?

It's fine to want this game, but do you really think it's perfect just the way it is? Could not the "experience" of an interactive anime involve a better quality of player interaction and still achieve the game's intended purpose?

I doubt the craziness of the gameplay (piercing planets with swords etc.) could be as well portrayed through actual gameplay than through QTEs and cutscenes.

I very much like the last Naruto game by the same dev and I thought the gameplay - QTE ratio was fine. From the Asura demo the QTE ratio seems higher, but everyone should realize what they are getting into.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Less cinematic. There's a certain appeal to what Asura's Wrath actually is. Though clearly, the audience for such a thing is pretty small.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I doubt the craziness of the gameplay (piercing planets with swords etc.) could be as well portrayed through actual gameplay than through QTEs and cutscenes.

I very much like the last Naruto game by the same dev and I thought the gameplay - QTE ratio was fine. From the Asura demo the QTE ratio seems higher, but everyone should realize what they are getting into.

In my imagined improvements to the game, the planet-piercing stuff still happens in QTE cutscenes. It's just that in between those parts, there's a real combat system.

But I'll drop it because Asura's Wrath is already a perfect video game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
If it was kinda like Ninja Blade (in terms of QTE:combat ratio) , I'd buy it day one.

I heard of this game and didn't know what it was about until I read some of the threads here about it. So, okay I thought the hotsprings portion I saw on YouTube was atrociously bad but some of my favorite games of my childhood were Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Cliffhanger, etc. I even have Dragon's Lair on Blu-ray. So, is this game pretty much Dragon's Lair? I can dig that if that's the case but just worried about how childish the game may be, again after seeing that hotsprings video.

My Amazon copy is getting ready to ship, will be here tomorrow. Very excited, love CyberConnect, loved playing through both Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storms and have Generations preordered as well. This looks fantastic IMO and I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Ken

"SALTY. SALTY. SALTY."

I finished the full game already (including 'hidden' episode), loved every second of it. Will replay to plat probably.

Liked the fight with Augus the most... so epic...

What did you think of the first 30 minutes?

Knosmirc

Neo Member
I finished the full game already (including 'hidden' episode), loved every second of it. Will replay to plat probably.

Liked the fight with Augus the most... so epic...

Knosmirc

Neo Member
"SALTY. SALTY. SALTY."

What did you think of the first 30 minutes?

The first 30 min I thought were the weakest part of the game. There was a lot of buildup and names that didn't mean anything being thrown around (later you either learn it or just start to go with it).

When you start coming to terms of what the game's episodic format and it's gameplay + presentation, I think it outshines many other AAA titles. It's like all the good parts of the AAA titles with none of the filler.

Top Bottom