• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
The PAX demo was super weird and left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's Mikami and I thought the original had some real promise, so I'm game.

I cannot wait. Loved the first one. I'll wait until we get some impressions on performance, though, before buying. The first one at launch was an absolute clusterfuck performance wise.

Also, after the disappointing direction that Resident 7 went in, I'm looking forward to Evil Within 2 even that much more.

hughesta

Banned
Dusk Golem you are an insane person and I love you

Can't wait for this game, really enjoyed the first one and this seems to be a lot of steps in the right direction

Traxtech

Ridiculously excited doesn't begin to explain how I feel about this game coming out. Number 1 was my goty for 2014 and has a big place in my favourite games ever list.

Can't wait!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Please don't be too easy or have shit performance

That we're now just a month away from release and there has been no clarification whatsoever as to which version of id Tech the game uses strongly suggests to me Bethesda would rather avoid the question than confirm id Tech 5.

Edit: The matter of the engine has been addressed, sort of:
Comes from four things, I did some digging and asking around to get some of it. The main take-away is it's not running on the same engine as TEW1 was, but I think that may have been a foundation and they upgraded it with some of the pieces of idTech 6 and then their own coding. However with some people who have some more PC expertise that have played TEW2 demo (which is an hour or two long), their reports are good, so I'm actually optimistic for the performance of the PC version this time.

kunonabi

Despite hating the original I'm actually really excited for TEW2. I'm sort of tapped out for October purchases so I'll pick it up down the line when it goes on discount and I actually have space on my PS4 hard drive for it.

I'm excited for it, but I have way too many games to play right now, and even more coming out before the end of the year. I am probably waiting on this one.

Fuck, I will be in the military before the game comes out (mandatory in here Taiwan for all adult male), I got fucking marine corps too.

Well, see you next year Sebastian...and my PS4. I will be fucking ripped by then.

AKQM1Vm.png

Dusk Golem

That we're now just a month away from release and there has been no clarification whatsoever as to which version of id Tech the game uses strongly suggests to me Bethesda would rather avoid the question than confirm id Tech 5.

Yeah, I'm not very confident that this game at launch won't have performance issues. We'll see.

kuYuri

Is the 60fps comment for the Pro and X1X versions? Cause the original release had issues maintaining 30, let alone anything higher. Unless there's some crazy dynamic settings thing going on with the console versions for TEW2.

Dusk Golem

Won't be playing the game until the X releases but I'm definitely picking it up. The original, despite some issues, was something I really enjoyed so I'm happy to continue on with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

It's kind of hard for me to imagine it finding a large audience in such a contested holiday season when there honestly doesn't seem to be too much excitement around it.

Bethesda hasn't been having a lot of successes with their recent releases either, and seems to be focusing their publishing effort on Wolfenstein 2 instead, which they're releasing at almost the same time.

It is obvious that Bethesda has been trying to market this game similarly to how Capcom marketed RE7. It's not the right move for this game. TEW doesn't have the brand power of Resident Evil.

Shame! The actual release date is perfect.

Also coming out on the same day:

- iPhone X preorders
- Super Mario Odyssey
- The new Wolfenstein
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Saw
- Stranger Things

Jesus.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Read under technical setting,s it's a Frankenstein Engine this game is running on (that's not the name), but it's custom done by Tango themselves and uses parts from idTech 5 & 6, though also the recent demo was PC and units like PC Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun got their hands on the demo and mention it has a lot of PC bells and whistles and performance is good, so that's promising.

Ah, oops, missed that header. I'd say that implies an id Tech 5/early id Tech 6 foundation, not unlike Void, which isn't exactly reassuring. Do you have a source, by the way?

It is obvious that Bethesda has been trying to market this game similarly to how Capcom marketed RE7. It's not the right move for this game. TEW doesn't have the brand power of Resident Evil.

Shame! The actual release date is perfect.

Agreed, not to mention this isn't even directed by Mikami (biggest selling point of the first game), the series has a lot to prove.

TheMoon

At this point the only thing I wanna know is if Bethesda is gonna do a reversible cover again for this one.

OT level quality right here

well it kinda is one of those OTs of old (which aren't allowed anymore) that was posted a month before where everyone was just going hype hype hype :)

rtcn63

Maybe they'll have a link to download FRAPS on the store page so you can run the game at a proper 60fps ;_;.

Or worse, Dishonored 2 performance.

Elfstar

Read under technical setting,s it's a Frankenstein Engine this game is running on (that's not the name), but it's custom done by Tango themselves and uses parts from idTech 5 & 6, though also the recent demo was PC and units like PC Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun got their hands on the demo and mention it has a lot of PC bells and whistles and performance is good, so that's promising.

I'm glad to hear that, the original Evli Within was such a dumpster fire on pc.

Orb

Every time I see anything about this game, even just the name, I shiver. I guess since Silent Hill died super hard, all my emotional attachments to that series switched to Evil Within.

Im so excited for this to totally be the first real game I 100%

At this point the only thing I wanna know is if Bethesda is gonna do a reversible cover again for this one.
Man, i hope so. The first's was beautiful.

Honestly I have been extremely excited ever since it was announced. Both Evil Within and The New Order are in my top 5 of this gen, so knowing I'm getting sequels to both in the same month has me overloading.

Can't wait!

Laplasakos

Nice work Dusk Golem. I am so hyped for TEW2. I finished the first one again along the DLC, which i think it's the best story DLC out there.

Can't wait for it!

My wife just got through chapter 10 of the original and we're hoping she can wrap it up in time for us to marathon part 2 the weekend of release.

Resident Evil 2 and 4 are possibly her favorite games ever but we were really surprised at how great TEW is despite the pretty abysmal performance and some design decisions which we'd heard about before she tried it out.

If TEW2 can clean things up a bit, then this may be a new all-time favorite of hers.

Thanks for all the info Dusk.

We can't wait for Friday the 13th!

Kuraudo

Banned
Ran out of room in the OP, but I want to ask you guys just to reiterate one more time, a month out how are you guys feeling towards The Evil Within 2? Positive, negative, thinking it'll find success, thinking it'll bomb? I'm curious where the current GAF tide is in general right now on the title with it so close to release.

It's the only game I'm really excited about for the rest of the year (I don't have a Switch so no Mario for me). I feel like I'm in the minority though and am not particularly confident it will be a success, especially with so many big franchises releasing around it.

Kazuhira

Good idea of a summary 1 month prior to release to make some folks aware that the game exists.
Also that pic is dope as fuck,it would be a really good poster to frame.

Facism

Has there been any previews or information about the game running on console? Everything I've seen has been demoed on PC. Would love to know if the ps4 performance is going to be an adequate 30fps or full-on ass like the original.

Hoping to finish off Kiwami so i can do a fresh playthrough of the first game before this releases :)

Top Bottom