• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philips Hue |OT| And Siri said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

entremet

For those with sleep problems, using the Hue to stimulate red colored light, the light our endocrine system evolved to release the hormones that get us ready to sleep, is a game changer.

It's like f.lux but for your entire environment.

Somnid

How strangely relevant. I've been researching my smart light options with Ikea and I have several E12 lamps but I didn't know Lifx even made that size. But at 3 lights per lamp this is going to be expensive. If Ikea has cheap (and good) colored lights and are Alexa compatible I might do that instead, the problem being I'd need a hub and I can't really wait because my new apartment has almost no built in light fixtures.

Smart lights (and smart home stuff in general) is totally an addiction once you get started. I moved into a smaller apartment recently but I have a California king bed, so I was looking for a way to light my room when I didn’t really have room for a floor lamp. My solution was completely extra, but also great: I halo lit the whole room with Hue Strips

I’ll post pictures later, it’s legit

Razorback

I love my Hue lights. Is there no simpler way to connect the google assistant with them other than IFTTT? It's kind of a chore to have to find an applet for every single command.

Dre

For smart bulbs to work the actual light switch on the wall needs to be in the "on" position, right? So is that something to be concerned about? Or is the energy consumption negligible?
Did someone actually measure the consumption of his set-up while idle?

Forsete

For smart bulbs to work the actual light switch on the wall needs to be in the "on" position, right? So is that something to be concerned about? Or is the energy consumption negligible?
Did someone actually measure the consumption of his set-up while idle?

Each bulb draws around 0.4 Watts in its Off state.

We got Hue bulbs in every room.

Color ones in the bedroom, living room, and dining room.

Plain white ones in every other room.

charliebear

Neo Member
So although you used to need the new bridge to have zones, with Alexa at least and the old bridge you can have named areas of the house. Game changer for me and my hue household

tokkun

I love my Hue lights. Is there no simpler way to connect the google assistant with them other than IFTTT? It's kind of a chore to have to find an applet for every single command.

You can turn lights on / off, change color, and set brightness natively with the Assistant. You assign bulbs to rooms, just like in any other app. If you give your bulbs useful names, Assistant can also use them for voice controls. For instance, I have two Hue Bloom lights that I use as ambient / bias lighting for my television. I named them Hue Bloom TV A & B. Assistant can handle commands like "Turn on my TV lights" or "Set my Bloom lights to blue".

If you want to do scenes or animations, I think you still need to use IFTTT.

Follow the instructions on the LIFX site. The ones on Philips site did not work for me. I think they assume you have the Google Home hardware, but the LIFX instructions work fine (for both LIFX and Hue) using just my Pixel phone.

https://support.lifx.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001623346-Google-Home-and-Google-Assistant

sangreal

Okay I can see now why it's cheaper. 250 vs 470 lumens is a big diff. (Doesn't take away from $50/bulb still being ridiculous.)

yeah that is what I meant by it being the odd exception where hue is brighter than LIFX but it really doesnt matter how you slice it, the hue is overpriced. Brightness isn't a factor in most candelabra installations anyway. If you wanted bright, why use that form factor? They're mostly (but not entirely) in multi-bulb installations. Granted in _my_ case I do care, which is why I didn't cancel the Hues.

I used to have 1 candelabra in my bedroom growing up and that was the only light. In that case te hue would have been a huge difference, but i don't think that is a situation most people find themselves in.

30something hue bulbs for years.

- Get color bulbs if you have small kids or live alone. Normies are not bedazzled by the color show, so everyone else get white bulbs.
- The standard bulb color types, Get gen 3. Anything under can't do greens or blues. "Friends of Hue" stuff does color better than official bulbs.
- If people live with you, grab some Hue Tap switches.
- Get the official app working, but you don't need it. Learn IFTTT science, Echo/Home talking robots, smartwatches, 3rd party apps, other hardware switch tech, hackery, etc.
- 3rd party apps as in Hue Disco and OnSwitch

- Your first IFTTT training should be to have several applets make lights all-off a few times during certain daylight, and all-off a few times overnight you're certain to be asleep.
--Now you can design your color lights as custom notification features without wasting much electricity.
--Example, I rigged IFTTT to ESPN to program each light to one of the three team theme colors whenever a game of that team has started.

tokkun

Has anyone put lightstripes behind their TVs? How did you do this? I kinda dont want to glue it there...

I would try using mounting putty first. That is generally the easiest way to stick something flush to a surface, provided it is light enough.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would try using mounting putty first. That is generally the easiest way to stick something flush to a surface, provided it is light enough.

Got some of these. Havent mounted them yet, cause I am still not 100% sure if and how I should use them...

51fxmnFcF5L._SL1300_.jpg

Razorback

You can turn lights on / off, change color, and set brightness natively with the Assistant. You assign bulbs to rooms, just like in any other app. If you give your bulbs useful names, Assistant can also use them for voice controls. For instance, I have two Hue Bloom lights that I use as ambient / bias lighting for my television. I named them Hue Bloom TV A & B. Assistant can handle commands like "Turn on my TV lights" or "Set my Bloom lights to blue".

If you want to do scenes or animations, I think you still need to use IFTTT.

Follow the instructions on the LIFX site. The ones on Philips site did not work for me. I think they assume you have the Google Home hardware, but the LIFX instructions work fine (for both LIFX and Hue) using just my Pixel phone.

https://support.lifx.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001623346-Google-Home-and-Google-Assistant

I got it working! Many thanks.

giga

yeah that is what I meant by it being the odd exception where hue is brighter than LIFX but it really doesnt matter how you slice it, the hue is overpriced. Brightness isn't a factor in most candelabra installations anyway. If you wanted bright, why use that form factor? They're mostly (but not entirely) in multi-bulb installations. Granted in _my_ case I do care, which is why I didn't cancel the Hues.

I used to have 1 candelabra in my bedroom growing up and that was the only light. In that case te hue would have been a huge difference, but i don't think that is a situation most people find themselves in.

Not sure I agree since IKEA has popularized E12 for many of their lamps and lights. It's not just for candelabra styles these days.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not 100% sold on Hue practically, but I already bought in as they were the only HomeKit light system at the time lol sigh.

They did get their color bulbs on track with last year’s update, but man... $50 per bulb is steep. At this point I’ve been sticking with white ambience which is definitely the lowest I’d go with. I use the color temp changes throughout much of the house depending on time and day. I do have color bulbs in the front room and porch.. easy way to add some ambience during various holidays.

All in all I like Hue and bulb-based automation over just switches. Ultimately the switch answers the question “how do I control the lights”. Except we can now control the lights directly by various means.. so why keep relying on switches. The wife and daughter don’t really like using Siri on their phones... but humor me (mostly with the Home app). Hoping that HomePod in December will make it more common to just use Siri. We actually have half a dozen scenes or so setup which they DO like (and use those mostly to control the lights). So maybe I just need to give them fun names “hey Siri turn on the crime scene”

tokkun

Got some of these. Havent mounted them yet, cause I am still not 100% sure if and how I should use them...

I have some of those keeping bundles of cables in place elsewhere in my apartment. I would still suggest that you try using mounting putty first for a lightstrip.

giga

Not 100% sold on Hue practically, but I already bought in as they were the only HomeKit light system at the time lol sigh.

They did get their color bulbs on track with last year's update, but man... $50 per bulb is steep. At this point I've been sticking with white ambience which is definitely the lowest I'd go with. I use the color temp changes throughout much of the house depending on time and day. I do have color bulbs in the front room and porch.. easy way to add some ambience during various holidays.

All in all I like Hue and bulb-based automation over just switches. Ultimately the switch answers the question ”how do I control the lights". Except we can now control the lights directly by various means.. so why keep relying on switches. The wife and daughter don't really like using Siri on their phones... but humor me (mostly with the Home app). Hoping that HomePod in December will make it more common to just use Siri. We actually have half a dozen scenes or so setup which they DO like (and use those mostly to control the lights). So maybe I just need to give them fun names ”hey Siri turn on the crime scene"

Good news is that the LIFX mini color actually comes under $50 for a single bulb and drops to 40 each when you get four: https://www.lifx.com/products/lifx-mini

Main difference from the regular LIFX is 800 vs 1100 lumens. The Hue is 800 lumens too — but only at 4000K I believe. I wonder how the LIFX changes in output with different color temperatures.

o7qZ9s0.png

http://www.muada.com/2016/07-14-hue-white-ambiance-dims-all-the-way-to-1.html

Otherwise I also recommend to just get white ambiance bulbs and save the color ones for when you really want something specific.

Smart lights are an addiction. I've got Hue lights all over my condo. That wasn't enough, so then i got Z Wave dimmers for recessed lights wherever they are. Now I have motion sensors everywhere and I don't touch any switches or anything.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I like smart light bulbs, I can use mine directly with my Amazon echos rather than needing a hub.

one of the advantages with Hue is because it uses 900Mhz zigbee, it offers less congestion on your network. This is definitely something that should be mentioned for people wondering why anyone would use a system that requires a hub. Yes hub-less lighting systems come in slightly cheaper than wifi lights.. but adding 20-30+ always-on wifi devices to your network can often times be crippling.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The main reason I started buying Hue bulbs is to simulate presence in my home when I'm traveling. It has been really nice for that. I have a couple IFTTT scripts set up to turn my exterior lights on at sunset and off at sunrise. I also built a routine in the Hue app to somewhat randomize on/off times for various interior lights around the house. Instructions here.

See this Google Support article.

I have been buying both color and white Hue bulbs every payday since summer started. It is nothing but addicting.

Question I know there are ways to get hue lights to go along with the beat of the music. What is the best app for this? Also any other must have apps for Hue lights? I've seen Lightbow and IFTTT so far. Thanks.

Also great news about the new Echo (I already pre-ordered) having a build in hub. My current hub is almost full.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=188958

got this guide. I need a speaker and usb microphone though.

That's to put the Google Assistant on a Pi, but that might be useful if you don't have anything that has Assistant yet. Forsete was talking about Home Assistant, which I use with my Hue lights as well (+ other home automation stuff). It acts as a smart hub to connect various smart devices and you can configure it to work with your normal Assistant devices (Google Home, phone, etc).

giga

HomeKit support added for Hue tap, dimmer, and motion sensor:

- Apple HomeKit compatibility for Hue accessories
Philips Hue is extending its Apple HomeKit compatibility for Hue accessories: Hue tap, Hue dimmer switch and Hue motion sensor. Meaning with a press of a button, or movement of your body, you can activate your favorite Apple Home app scenes. To set up automations, you need an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 10 or an iPad with iOS 10 or later.

jts

...hate me...

Philips Hue is extending its Apple HomeKit compatibility for Hue accessories: Hue tap, Hue dimmer switch and Hue motion sensor. Meaning with a press of a button, or movement of your body, you can activate your favorite Apple Home app scenes. To set up automations, you need an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 10 or an iPad with iOS 10 or later.
Oh fuck that's awesome. I have 3 motion sensors and 5 dimmers.

tokkun

Question I know there are ways to get hue lights to go along with the beat of the music. What is the best app for this? Also any other must have apps for Hue lights? I've seen Lightbow and IFTTT so far. Thanks.

None of the apps I have tried has done a decent job of making your lights react to music in a convincing way. Rather than going along with the beat, they tend to produce fairly random effects that have nothing to do with the specific music you are playing. You can program light shows in advance that sync up to music using apps like Light DJ, but that is labor intensive.

Wow, I bought a Logitech Tap because I hated how the Phillips switch didn’t work with HomeKit. This is great!

Uhyve

Oh, cool. Didn't realize we had a Hue thread.

I love the concept of Ambilight, but I think that Philips TVs are crap! What can I do? Later this year, Philips is going to introduce Philips Hue Entertainment, a solution to light your room matching with the color of the content you are currently watching. Its still unknown, how this protocol is going to look like in the end and how its going to work in the end, but you can right now do something similar, if you install the App Screenbloom on your PC and start Netflix on booth your computer and your TV at the same time

Oooooh, I did not know about this. Signing up for the beta API now (edit: actually nevermind, just for companies atm).

I made some software similar to Screenbloom alittle bit back, using a bunch of dumb tricks to make it as low latency as possible (the time between a new frame and sending the changes to the lights is about 4ms), but any more than two lights is still rubbish unfortunately.

Been wanting to show it off actually. Never bothered releasing the software because I didn't want to make a GUI, heh.

That API could be a game changer for my living room.

PS Don't know if anyone had an amBX, but I made that glOW software back in the day
because I was frustrated that Philips wouldn't add a white balance.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oooooh, I did not know about this. Signing up for the beta API now.

I made some software similar to Screenbloom alittle bit back, using a bunch of dumb tricks to make it as low latency as possible (the time between a new frame and sending the changes to the lights is about 4ms), but any more than two lights is still rubbish unfortunately.

Been wanting to show it off actually. Never bothered releasing the software because I didn't want to make a GUI, heh.

That API could be a game changer for my living room.

PS Don't know if anyone had an amBX, but I made that glOW software back in the day
because I was frustrated that Philips wouldn't add a white balance.

Wow, that looks amazing, well done! :D
I really hope Philips adds some kind of HDMI Dongle that I can plug between my devices to to emulate the same... But somehow I lose my hope to get it working with my Blu-Ray Player

Uhyve

Wow, that looks amazing, well done! :D
I really hope Philips adds some kind of HDMI Dongle that I can plug between my devices to to emulate the same... But somehow I lose my hope to get it working with my Blu-Ray Player
Hehe, thanks.

Yeah, protected content is annoying for this kinda stuff. Quite alot of Windows 10 media apps block attempts to screen capture them... gotta use Chrome if I want Netflix with the lights.

I've been considering making an app for Android TV for Hue screen mirroring (to turn Sony TVs into Ambilights), but it's kind of a big job and I've no idea if everything's just gonna be protected. Also, the CPUs in those TVs are not good.

Uhyve

Thats why the Netflix App doesnt work. Is this also the case for Steam?
Steam should be fine. If we're talking Screenbloom with games, it could be that their screen capture method doesn't play nice with graphics APIs (especially with games in fullscreen exclusive, borderless windowed might work).

Top Bottom