• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Its kind of hard to explain but I kind of wish we ended season 1 where they planned. It isn't serious but it bugs me when they have to air things out of order. Although I do like getting to see more episodes quickly. Really just wish the climax was at the end of the airing season. (Yes, I know that the had to rearrange and that for all intents and purposes that Jail Break was the end of Season 1)

I guess it was all for the sake of having the steven bomb week air. Considering they became a top trend on twitter and all the publicity it brought them It was worth it. Also imagine waiting a week of between the return and jailbreak? It would of been torture.

Hamlet

Heh
tumblr_nl6nfcqQiI1rdcc5vo1_1280.png

tumblr_nl6nfcqQiI1rdcc5vo2_1280.png

tumblr_nl6nfcqQiI1rdcc5vo3_1280.png
http://toritorigrantgrant.tumblr.com/post/113567110596/rude

Lol at the first comment on that page.
Why so salty? That show is fantastic. In fact, they made an episode specifically for people who say similar things.

A lot of people are still salty over how Young Justice was treated and put their anger towards TTG after it replaced YJ. Which is a shame as it's a pretty fun show.

nice little sweet episode to end the season. I fucking burst out laughing when Steven showed his face to Connie haha.

Shit's gonna get pretty serious next season and the Steven/Connie relationship continues to be absolute concentrated sugar. I don't think it'll turn into anything romantic unless they have a time skip, which if they do it would be something minor.

doesn't explain why she used an indefinite article. To me it implies that there may be other pearls out there.

I think Ian posted a while back that there are in fact multiple versions of each gem, because there can be different kinds of pearls, and different colors for other stones, etc.

Unrelated:
You know, there is a flip side to the Garnet thing. Ruby especially seemed almost dysfunctional without Sapphire. One could just as easily view their relationship as dangerously codependent.

Yeah it definitely seemed unhealthy from her but I won't read too much into it right now it may have just been shock/nerves due to the situation.

Eh, there's nothing unhealthy about it. They went from being fused for possibly thousands of years to forcefully separated from each other. One of the Crewniverse explained that Ruby was also having a very difficult time dealing with her sight losing a third eye, let alone a second type of vision all together.

Unusual observation concerning Gems and gender: The Homeworld Gems don't seem to have breasts, while the Earth Gems seem to either have them or wear outfits that allude to them.

Rose Quartz definitely did. Amethyst too. Garnet, Lapis and Pearl are ambiguous, but Pearl's original outfit and Lapis's top at least suggest their presence with their shapes.

Jasper and Peridot? Nada.

Since Gems can't have children, and presumably don't have the anatomy to produce milk, it makes me wonder if this was an aesthetic choice by Earth Gems to appeal to humans. Is it any surprise that the two Gems most interested in human attention are the ones most well-endowed?

Psxphile

Sorry if this has already been posted, but apparently the screeners for the episode played a song by Rebecca Sugar over the credits, which of course didn't air on TV because they crunch down the credits or whatever CN does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ibTqxYIFNw

I posted about that 3 pages ago. Thread's moving too fast these days. :)

I'm curious about who's supposed to be singing. I mean, I know it's Becky... but is the song about someone in the show specifically? Think it could be Rose's thoughts on Greg?

Man, I want to buy a blu-ray set of this show so badly. I guess I could just grab the episodes off Amazon Instant... but season sets usually get commentaries and other goodies and I don't want to miss out on that.

EDIT: hm, more so now that I can see that iTunes paired Political Power with Full Disclosure... how does that make sense? Well, an enterprising person can download those, strip the protection and split the episodes individually w/ video editing software and rename/reorder them as they please. Still, waiting on Blu-Ray.

After seeing the ratings for The Return and Jailbreak (both under 2 million) I'm worried about the future of this show. Hopefully it can get done and have a proper ending without being cancelled. I've had too many great shows get cancelled on me without any closure.

Wasn't there a confirmed season 3 in production? Hopefully there's three seasons and a proper ending at the end and the ratings dont dive down too much. Was season 2 made before they knew there was going to be a season 3? Hopefully that doesn't affect the flow of the show.

Another screen for Open Book

Airing Thursday March 19 at 5:00 p.m. EST

d'aww so cute

vypek

I guess it was all for the sake of having the steven bomb week air. Considering they became a top trend on twitter and all the publicity it brought them It was worth it. Also imagine waiting a week of between the return and jailbreak? It would of been torture.

Thats true. I would hated to wait a week. no matter what its good to have those episodes back to back. Just with they could end up as 51 and 52. Not that it really matters.

After seeing the ratings for The Return and Jailbreak (both under 2 million) I'm worried about the future of this show. Hopefully it can get done and have a proper ending without being cancelled. I've had too many great shows get cancelled on me without any closure.

Wasn't there a confirmed season 3 in production? Hopefully there's three seasons and a proper ending at the end and the ratings dont dive down too much. Was season 2 made before they knew there was going to be a season 3? Hopefully that doesn't affect the flow of the show.

Doesn't DST mess up ratings for a lot of shows? I don't think dipping below 2 million is too bad for the show. Isn't it still pretty good for its airing? I think the Rebecca Sugar's dad said something about Season 3. With how popular the show seems to be getting I would be surprised if it suddenly got cancelled.

With how popular the show seems to be getting I would be surprised if it suddenly got cancelled.

It isn't about how popular the show is, it's about how profitable it is for CN.

CN doesn't care if adults on the internet like it. If young boys aren't into it, and it isn't selling merchandise, it'll get canned. Let's not forget that this is the same network that tossed YJ because there were no toys and the audience started getting too old and too female for their tastes.

vypek

CN doesn't care if adults on the internet like it. If young boys aren't into it, and it isn't selling merchandise, it'll get canned. Let's not forget that this is the same network that tossed YJ because there were no toys and the audience started getting too old and too female for their tastes.

Dammit. You're right. I completely forgot that they care very little about viewership. I know they have an app coming out but I'm unsure if they have any other merchandise or products that are coming out. I thought YJ and GL got axed just because of merchandise. Was part of the decision really about an audience too old and too female?

Dunkley

I thought Season 1 is going to end with Full Disclosure (Ep. 50), Open Book (Ep. 51) and Joy Ride (Ep. 52) before it's really over.

Even if Jailbreak basically is called to be the finale by the creators.

So I'm sure it's been mentioned ahead, but apparently Story for Steven and Open Book have been skipped for the StevenBomb week which is why I got confused about that.

I guess that means now that we're going to get Open Book, Story for Steven is still happening before the show goes on to its' planned Season 2 Episodes with the Uncle Grandpa crossover, right?

Because I really want to see Story for Steven.

Makes sense.

Unrelated:
You know, there is a flip side to the Garnet thing. Ruby especially seemed almost dysfunctional without Sapphire. One could just as easily view their relationship as dangerously codependent.

I wouldn't call her anything near dysfunctional.

We find out in the end that this was their big Steven's Birthday thing. That's why Ruby is all "DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!", she's hoping that she can salvage the secret ... before realizing that Steven got out and can help her.

People seem to misunderstand her a bit. Like, there's a theory going that she's blind because she was late to realizing that Steven's free and she told Steven to stfu cause she couldn't see (when it's actually more safe to assume that she was referring to her lack of future vision and may have been too panicked to realize that Steven could help her at first). Odd ... all I got was that she's impatient and a bit Selfish.
Explains why Sug is the way she is ... Garnet is perfectly balanced, Amy tips the scale toward impatient and selfish.

Psxphile

Looks like the episode "Joy Ride" has been locked down on Zap2it.com and will air the week after "Open Book", March 26. Still no synopsis, still no real air date for "Say Uncle".

In other news: Attack The Light teaser clip. Looks like they're starting to ramp up the advertising for the game, launch date is still a guarded secret but it's apparently up to CN to announce it.

abundant

IIRC, things are different for comedy shows vs. (pure) action shows. Since action shows cost more to make, they need to bring in more outside profit then just the usual stuff they make from advertisements, where as comedy shows aren't as pressured to bring in any outside profits. It's why CN is practically all comedy based shows now.

There's also the runtime you have to consider; 10-12 minute shows vs. 20-22 minute shows. I don't know how expensive it is to make an episode of Steven Universe but I can guarantee you it's much cheaper than an episode of Young Justice.

IIRC, things are different for comedy shows vs. (pure) action shows. Since action shows cost more to make, they need to bring in more outside profit then just the usual stuff they make from advertisements, where as comedy shows aren't as pressured to bring in any outside profits. It's why CN is practically all comedy based shows now.

There's also the runtime you have to consider; 10-12 minute shows vs. 20-22 minute shows. I don't know how expensive it is to make an episode of Steven Universe but I can guarantee you it's much cheaper than an episode of Young Justice.

This is also true, and it helps that it's an original show so CN gets all of the ad/merch revenue themselves.

Still, 100+ more episodes? It just seems a bit tough to believe, as much as I'd like to.

Unbounded

I probably was going to not watch these 'filler' episodes but then they decided to make one about Connie and Steven.

Just when I thought I was out.... they pull me back in

Lol. You think there's filler episodes in SU.

Also, can anyone
Tell me how long I have to wait before I can have an avatar of that scene where Garnet has Jasper reflected on her goggles? I need it in my veins.

Lol. You think there's filler episodes in SU.

Also, can anyone
Tell me how long I have to wait before I can have an avatar of that scene where Garnet has Jasper reflected on her goggles? I need it in my veins.

well they specifically said that these were episodes that could fall at any point in the season didn't they? So that means no plot relevance and no advancements to characterization. Probably throw-away episodes.

Toxi

Banned
well they specifically said that these were episodes that could fall at any point in the season didn't they? So that means no plot relevance and no advancements to characterization. Probably throw-away episodes.
I'm fine with filler episodes after the massive amount of plot that was just dumped. We need some relaxing time.

Open Book does at least continue the plot thread of Steven reading the Unfamiliar Familiar series.

Hamlet

This is pretty neat
Anonymous asked:
What were some other hints of Garnet being a fusion?

A: here’s a really subtle one that’s in EVERY episode:
tumblr_inline_nl86jhPvCL1qgz2eg.gif

Garnet’s title card gets a double shooting star! that was rebeccasugar‘s idea btw!
Ian Jones-Quartey

This is pretty neat
Anonymous asked:
What were some other hints of Garnet being a fusion?

A: here’s a really subtle one that’s in EVERY episode:
tumblr_inline_nl86jhPvCL1qgz2eg.gif

Garnet’s title card gets a double shooting star! that was rebeccasugar‘s idea btw!
Ian Jones-Quartey

Seeing as its ok to post the finale parts, here's a gif that fits my reaction to this.

giphy.gif

Rebecca sure knows how to tease things.

Kinvara

Eh, there's nothing unhealthy about it. They went from being fused for possibly thousands of years to forcefully separated from each other. One of the Crewniverse explained that Ruby was also having a very difficult time dealing with her sight losing a third eye, let alone a second type of vision all together.

Yeah, I agree with this.

They're gems so they handle emotions/relationships differently too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom