• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

aravuus

I wonder if there's any chance my GTX970 could run this in 4k without the rest of the game looking like shit (i.e. everything at the lowest possible setting). I'd imagine this game would really benefit from the blacks OLED offers, but I've had some trouble trying to play games in sub-4k resolutions on my TV.

I wonder if there's any chance my GTX970 could run this in 4k without the rest of the game looking like shit (i.e. everything at the lowest possible setting). I'd imagine this game would really benefit from the blacks OLED offers, but I've had some trouble trying to play games in sub-4k resolutions on my TV.

Pretty damn low I'd say.

Maybe at 30 fps but you'd also be turning stuff pretty far down.

Nick_C

There has been more horror games this generation haven't there? I'm not checking release dates but some that come to mind:

Amnesia
Layers of Fear
The Observer
Resident Evil Revelations 2

Those are just a few other than RE7 and EW. EW takes a fat dump over all those though. Granted RE7 is the second best. It would be stronger than EW if the enemies weren't so whack.

Eveyone seems to forget the runaway succes that was Until Dawn.

Perineum

Eveyone seems to forget the runaway succes that was Until Dawn.

I don't consider it horror at all. It's campy/cheesy, and the gameplay is that of a David Cage game.

I don't know what you find "intense" about it except maybe missing the snowball and hitting the bird with it instead.

aravuus

Wait for the new series at this point imo.

Probably the best course of action, yeah. Just tried Alan Wake out of curiosity and it actually looked great even upscaled from 1080p. So I'll probably play TEW2 on my TV, just upscaled from 1080p or 1440p or something, whatever seems like the best balance between image quality and graphics quality while still maintaining stable 60fps.

Fenderman89

Neo Member
I don't consider it horror at all. It's campy/cheesy, and the gameplay is that of a David Cage game.

I don't know what you find "intense" about it except maybe missing the snowball and hitting the bird with it instead.

But at least it wasn't as boring and shallow as Layers of Fear, which you mentioned in the post before :S
What a huge letdown for me

quick question: bethesda has a recap of the first game on the second game. I plan on playing the first game eventually, but I will probably play the 2nd one first. However, I don't want to watch the recap, since that will ruin the first game. What do I do?

Can I go to the second first without the recap and still enjoy it? Will I enjoy the first one after playing the second?

Mifec

quick question: bethesda has a recap of the first game on the second game. I plan on playing the first game eventually, but I will probably play the 2nd one first. However, I don't want to watch the recap, since that will ruin the first game. What do I do?

Can I go to the second first without the recap and still enjoy it? Will I enjoy the first one after playing the second?

Do you want me to give you an outline of some points, without spoilers?

Play the first one first if you're concerned about the sequel spoiling things.

What's with the bright orange weapon select icon? Looks like shit. Way to kill the mood.

x26lU5O.png

The ugliest UI design I have ever seen in a horror game. This shit belongs to GTA or something.

Preload finished on PS4 Pro. I have avoided every type of media for this game, except the announcement trailer just so I go in completely blind! I loved TEW and I absolutely cannot wait till Thursday night.

demigod

FFS its 2017 and there's no ps4 pro support for this game? Guess I won't be buying this game on ps4 at full price. Really hard to support the devs with niche genres when they pull this shit. Now to buy it on cdkeys or wait even further for a sale, decisions decisions.

My GTX 970 can't even run TWE1 at 4K

I am waiting for used copies, everything about this game seems like a disappointment compare to the first game.

The first Evil Within is flawed, but at least it is a dark, intense and atmospheric experience, intriguing and creative in pretty much every aspect. The combat is well thought out too, there are many ways to deal with monsters than just shoot or stealth, you are often rewarded for being smart and creative.

Here's is one of my favorite ways to instant kill an enemy using one empty bottle:

giphy.gif

Find a bottle, throw it at someone's face, crouch immediately and then press the button once the stealth kill icon shows up. The game told you nothing about this, but it is a very common tactic among TEW players.

The Evil Within 2 on the other hand just seems like a open world The Last of Us clone with shallow combat system, they even removed the matches. Now it's all just pew pew pew and crafting.

Another thing, the first TEW is a very challenging game with very little ammo and resources, which makes pretty much every enemy scary. From what I have seen in TEW2 (watched more than 5 livestreams from Chapter 1 to 6 so far), the game generally seems forgiving and casual, facing an enemy no longer feels intense and scary.

Mifec

YES, PLEASE

• Main char(Sebastian) and his wife(Myra) are both cops and have a kid called Lily
  • Lily dies in a house fire along with her babysitter.
  • Wife(Myra) eventually vanishes, she was sure some foul play was involved
  • One day Sebastian gets a call about some trouble at Beacon Mental Asylum
  • Him and his partner Joseph go to check it out along with a rookie called Juli
  • They hear a pitched sound before they arrive at Beacon
  • There they find everyone massacred and Seb goes to check the video feed
  • He's attacked by a strange figure and wakes up hanging upside down
  • Basically someone made a machine that can connect consciousnesses called STEM
  • One of them has to be the core or main consciousness
  • Shady organization wants the core gone and the machine for themselves
  • The strange pitched noise was a wireless signal that transported you into it
  • You have many wacky adventures but you manage to survive(not typing anything cuz of spoilers)
  • Juli was working for shady org called Mobius all along

This is just a short outline with info on the main antagonist other than shady org missing.

TEW2 starts out with a drunk and jobless Seb being approached by Kidman with the news that Lily is alive and being used as a core in a new STEM. You gotta find and save her because she went missing.

I think this link is BS. Another GAF member already confirmed that there is no logo whatsoever in the back of front of the game case.

Interesting, hmm, I wonder if it's something that'll be a Day 1 Patch? Hence why they didn't put the logo on the cover of the physical game case?

Just playing devil's advocate, I have a Pro and I've been foaming at the mouth for SOME bit of info about what kind of (if any) enhancements we'll see.

Nick_C

Until Dawn is basically an '80's slasher flick
(in the beginning)
turned into a choose your own adventure game. The example you gave sounds like you never got past the opening of the game. If you have gotten past the opening then the example you gave is disingenuous, as it is not indicative of the types of consequences that come much later on.

• Main char(Sebastian) and his wife(Myra) are both cops and have a kid called Lily
  • You have many wacky adventures but you manage to survive(not typing anything cuz of spoilers)

This is just a short outline with info on the main antagonist other than shady org missing.

TEW2 starts out with a drunk and jobless Seb being approached by Kidman with the news that Lily is alive and being used as a core in a new STEM. You gotta find and save her because she went missing.

YRozg.gif

thanks

demigod

DLC key? I read in the other thread that it doesn't come with the Steam bonuses. Or is that something else.

Linkura

Also Juli's last name is Kidman.

Tido84

I played like 1 hour now ave it looks really good . I can confirm that there is no Ps4 pro support neither 4k hdr support:-(

But it’s fun and very story driven which is good .

If you have questions about the game let me know

demigod

There's Pro support - we just don't know what kind of support that is.

On this page, the Pro enhanced logo is on there.

I played like 1 hour now ave it looks really good . I can confirm that there is no Ps4 pro support neither 4k hdr support:-(

But it’s fun and very story driven which is good .

If you have questions about the game let me know

And this is exactly why I don't trust some dude working the website posting false information. He probably just slapped that logo on every game.

Top Bottom