• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy carries his ar-15 to go shopping at JC Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

alekth

His stunt shouldn't cause a panic. Should people become cautious of him? Sure. Should the store ask him to leave? If they want to. But there's no reason to start panicking.

What exactly does being cautious mean here? Should people get some bulletproof vests? Should they hide behind columns and corners?
If this guy wants to start shooting, people around him aren't going to have time to do something to avoid the bullets. Unless by being cautious you mean they need to carry their own firearms, watch the guy closely and shoot him if there is an indication that he's preparing to shoot.

If something goes wrong here, it's not like the store is going to magically protect those people, so whether it's an act allowed by the store or not, it really doesn't make a difference to people who fear for their lives.

Valnen

Yeah, I love when the car argument comes out. The best part is that you need a license to drive a car.

I wouldn't be against making people need a license to use their firearms. Make people go through a training/education session that most normal people can complete along with a background check and you wouldn't be infringing on anyone's rights. It's a better solution than any sort of retarded and arbitrary ban.

Chumly

I wonder how the people in the store trying to make a "point" would feel if a guy that looked like this:

Strolled in carrying a rifle and claiming he was just expressing his god given right to bear arms. I get the feeling they'd be running in the other direction and calling the police.

So true. Once black people start walking around rural/suburban areas with AR-15's I suspect a lot of views would be changed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how that has to do with anything. The argument put forward was "This guy could easily kill me and others with extremely little force". That is true. The same is true in many other cases. You put your life in other people's hands all the time. And pedestrians DO get run over. It's not some absurd situation I'm bringing up. Personally, I feel quite uncomfortable walking in the same direction as traffic. I don't like how it feels. Not knowing if cars speeding behind me aren't fucking up with me being the victim. I also wouldn't like being around a person with a gun. I don't make the assumption that the person is a killer or that I am in any immediate danger. It is just off-putting. It would make me uncomfortable and I might leave. If I was the store owner, I'd ask the person to leave since it obviously is upsetting my customers. But there's no reason to panic.

I think you might be a little bit crazy.

Why would people driving around just randomly swerve over to the sidewalk with the intent of running into someone and taking his or her life? Either way, if you were paying attention, it would be much easier to avoid such an attack than any kind of assault rifle fire from someone intent on murdering you.

I just don't understand what you're arguing. One is a vehicle that you use to get around. One is a device that's sole purpose is injuring or taking lives. Why would you ever try to equate the two?

PBY

Banned
So true. Once black people start walking around rural/suburban areas with AR-15's I suspect a lot of views would be changed.

Its the same argument that ppl make about protection from the government, aka "We need gunz in case the government oversteps its bounds!" Fuck the black panthers tho.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be against making people need a license to use their firearms. Make people go through a training/education session that most normal people can complete along with a background check and you wouldn't be infringing on anyone's rights. It's a better solution than any sort of retarded and arbitrary ban.

Wait, weren't you just arguing that no one should be complaining about something that is legal? And now you're here offering suggestions on how you'd improve the law?

What kind of nonsense is this?

I wonder how the people in the store trying to make a "point" would feel if a guy that looked like this:

[cool duder]

Strolled in carrying a rifle and claiming he was just expressing his god given right to bear arms. I get the feeling they'd be running in the other direction and calling the police.
I'm waiting for the first person who looks like they are of middle eastern decent to exercise that right to bear arms in public, and see how loud the nuclear explosion from conservative AM radio would be.

shira

HeatRobbery.jpeg

Even scarier. Suits and ties. WTF do you do?

Gotchaye

The crime would be on the paranoid shooter. You shouldn't go about firing on people who don't have their weapon drawn.

This is back a ways, but would it be?

Utah's relevant self-defense law doesn't make any reference to whether or not the person you shoot is in the middle of doing something illegal. It's all about if you "reasonably believe" there's imminent danger to yourself or others. It's begging the question to say that the shooter is paranoid. What percentage of people who walk into completely non- gun-related shops carrying assault rifles don't intend harm? If the guy shifts, and it maybe looks like he's getting ready to put his hands on the gun, I expect that a decent lawyer could get the "paranoid shooter" off. Especially in the wake of Sandy Hook, when there's a reasonable fear of a wave of copycat crimes.

PBY

Banned
This is back a ways, but would it be?

Utah's relevant self-defense law doesn't make any reference to whether or not the person you shoot is in the middle of doing something illegal. It's all about if you "reasonably believe" there's imminent danger to yourself or others. It's begging the question to say that the shooter is paranoid. What percentage of people who walk into completely non- gun-related shops carrying assault rifles don't intend harm? If the guy shifts, and it maybe looks like he's getting ready to put his hands on the gun, I expect that a decent lawyer could get the "paranoid shooter" off. Especially in the wake of Sandy Hook, when there's a reasonable fear of a wave of copycat crimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

I'd be curious to know where the OP is from, that's not a very common "international perspective" at all. Unless he's from Somalia, or trolling.

(._.)

Banned
maybe all the soft gamer nerds in this thread wouldn't feel so pitiful and scared around guys like the one at the JC Penny if they stopped crying all the time and started carrying a gun themselves

maybe all the soft gamer nerds in this thread wouldn't feel so pitiful and scared around guys like the one at the JC Penny if they stopped crying all the time and started carrying a gun themselves

Aren't the people with guns the softies? They need some self defense they can't provide themselves.

guarenfuckentee there would be a shooting of some kind.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Sarcasm detector...kind of blinking...

Uh huh...

I'm from Kansas... if I'm out hunting seeing a gun is no big deal (though most of the time they are slow loading rifles). Just being in a store and someone has an AR15?

I'd be backing the fuck up quickly. No question.

Guns in public have to be the dumbest damn movement conservatives could have fought for.

I'd prefer this gentleman walking around the local mall

imagesqtbnANd9GcSPQEixD0v-fUlIL37Z7H58ALjdU0NxqwQhnKIKBIsD63esxjewmxw_z-3l_zpsfe22889e.jpg

Especially if he was wearing boots and camo. I mean, whos to infringe on his freedom of clothing?

I don't see how that has to do with anything. The argument put forward was "This guy could easily kill me and others with extremely little force". That is true. The same is true in many other cases. You put your life in other people's hands all the time. And pedestrians DO get run over. It's not some absurd situation I'm bringing up. Personally, I feel quite uncomfortable walking in the same direction as traffic. I don't like how it feels. Not knowing if cars speeding behind me aren't fucking up with me being the victim. I also wouldn't like being around a person with a gun. I don't make the assumption that the person is a killer or that I am in any immediate danger. It is just off-putting. It would make me uncomfortable and I might leave. If I was the store owner, I'd ask the person to leave since it obviously is upsetting my customers. But there's no reason to panic.

Just leave your gun at home unless you're going to the range. Is it really that fucking difficult?

Just leave your gun at home unless you're going to the range. Is it really that fucking difficult?
But but but, what if you need to pick up some housewares on the way back from the range, and you rode your motorcycle there?

And then afterwards you wanted to catch a movie.

And go into a courtroom or similar government building to pick up a form.

And then pick up your kid from school -- your chances of making the news is even greater with this one!

Piggus

http://current.com/community/940258...apped-to-back-strikes-a-nerve.htm?xid=RSSfeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iViD-iepDxg

From an international perspective, i find it hilarious that Americans are complaining about someone legally carrying an unloaded rifle in public.

From a gun-owning US American perspective I think it's one of the dumbest, most selfish things you can do as a gun owner. It makes the rest o us responsible gun owners look bad.

lednerg

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. I have when I felt it was desirable to do so for my own protection. I know that applies in most of the instances where guns are used effectively in self-defense or in places of business and in the home. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses." -Karl T. Frederick, NRA President 1934

Phoenix

http://current.com/community/940258...apped-to-back-strikes-a-nerve.htm?xid=RSSfeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iViD-iepDxg

From an international perspective, i find it hilarious that Americans are complaining about someone legally carrying an unloaded rifle in public.

We don't allow you to yell bomb at the airport or fire in a crowded room for the same reason that we don't want people walking around with firearms - loaded or not. This is something that can incite behaviors that will cause a situation that will get people killed.

JDSN

Banned
Im from Colombia and if I were next to that guy I would call the cops. But then again, thats only my international perspective.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
People who panic at the mere sight of a gun are more of a problem than people who carry them in public.

yikes...

he would have been shot dead within minutes

i really think we'll only have a sensible conversation about gun control if we encourage our Islamic citizens to join the NRA and stock up on guns. there will always be people like mudkips, but we may be able to get enough sensible people on board (combined with enough racists) to actually get congress to pass something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom