• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Chitown B

If the well for possible 360 BC releases was drying up due to licensing and other factors, (and I'm not saying it is), I'd be totally fine with BC X enhancements released on weeks when they don't have any new games to add.

I'm left wondering how hard it is to X enhance these BC games. If it were just Halo and Gears then I might assume it takes a good bit of effort but the fact that a game like Mirror's Edge got enhanced makes me wonder since I doubt that a ton of work went into enhancing that game.

From what I gather, a lot of the games already ran uncapped and had higher res textures available but downsampled to fit the 360. So they might not take too much work to get them using their available assets and coding.

Gitaroo

If the well for possible 360 BC releases was drying up due to licensing and other factors, (and I'm not saying it is), I'd be totally fine with BC X enhancements released on weeks when they don't have any new games to add.

I'm left wondering how hard it is to X enhance these BC games. If it were just Halo and Gears then I might assume it takes a good bit of effort but the fact that a game like Mirror's Edge got enhanced makes me wonder since I doubt that a ton of work went into enhancing that game.

I don't think new assets where added. Just the same game but running in higher resolution. You will be surprise how much resolution alone enhance the visual. Look at dark souls 1 on pc for example. The amazing texture work suddenly pop once people figure out how to increase the rendering resolution. Halo 3 HDR addition might be due to what was already there, the game uses 2 hdr pipelines. OG xbox games were definitely not getting any assets upgrade, thing are exactly how they were but rendered in 16x resolution.

wvnative

Is there a chance for Buffy the Vampire Slayer or would there be licensing issues?

And Rallisport Challenge 2?

Anything based on an existing property, or with licensed music, is extremely unlikely...

I see a lot of requests for Buffy though, was it that good? If so, I need to seek it out at the flea market.

Chitown B

Anything based on an existing property, or with licensed music, is extremely unlikely...

I see a lot of requests for Buffy though, was it that good? If so, I need to seek it out at the flea market.

it was good VO. Game was "ok" but also that and Chaos Bleeds were really the only Buffy games we ever got, so they both hold a spot in my heart.

it was good VO. Game was "ok" but also that and Chaos Bleeds were really the only Buffy games we ever got, so they both hold a spot in my heart.
Chaos Bleeds was okay, but the XBox-exclusive BtVS was "very good" in my opinion. Buffy's moveset was almost on Virtua Fighter-level and every fight was fun and challenging. Atmosphere was great as well. Just an all around good game.

arhra

From what I gather, a lot of the games already ran uncapped and had higher res textures available but downsampled to fit the 360. So they might not take too much work to get them using their available assets and coding.

They're not making any changes to the game code or assets. It's all just emulator magic overriding resolution and stuff like texture mip selection.

Bill Stillwell (head of the BC program) popped up in some of the reddit threads to clarify some stuff (most notably this post, and this one).

How long does it usually take for Microsoft to announce more backwards Xbox games?

It varies. Sometimes we get them every week, and sometimes there is a month-long dry spell. If there's something big happening (E3, One X Launch, a US holiday, etc.) you can usually expect fewer/no releases. The BC team isn't that big so if they are working on the enhancements for X1 launch, they probably aren't adding new games, etc.

Flagship

My god, Mirrors Edge looks really impressive on the X,

Honestly I'm jealous haha I've sunken so much time in that game, would love to go back to mop up on the speedrun/trial achievements.

Hopefully mirror's edge Catalyst gets an x patch from dice, I really enjoyed the gameplay aspect of that game. I can imagine loading time speeds for the x will dramatically make the experience more enjoyable/tolerable too.

Man, I really want to get an x but I bought my xbox one phat in 2015 for quite a lot and I bought a ps4 slim this year. I don't regret the latter purchase but I mainly game on xbox so having the better tech would make amazing.

...next gen can't be that far... right?

Flagship

As for back-compat titles, I started deadly premonition for the first time, it takes a bit to get used to but I'm really enjoying it, I'm glad it got back-compat support as it feels very shenmue-esque and there's not many games like that for xbox one that I'm aware of so it's a very nice addition.

In addition, NiGHTS was a really fun GWG title, I played that for the very first time too and it sparked a bit of a sega nostalgic crave so I started chievo hunting crazy taxi and daytona USA haha, they're great too!

Rukh

Neo Member
I picked up Dead to Rights and it seems to force me to use inverted right joystick camera controls which is making it difficult to play. I looked up a scan of the instruction manual for the original Xbox release to see if it had an option to invert the camera controls and I can confirm that the PAL version did (couldn't find a US manual scan though), which is bizarre.

Anyone know if there's a way to invert the X-Axis of the right joystick on the Xbone? I tried checking the accessibility options but it only allows Y-Axis inversion.

amdb00mer

Honestly I'm jealous haha I've sunken so much time in that game, would love to go back to mop up on the speedrun/trial achievements.

Hopefully mirror's edge Catalyst gets an x patch from dice, I really enjoyed the gameplay aspect of that game. I can imagine loading time speeds for the x will dramatically make the experience more enjoyable/tolerable too.

Man, I really want to get an x but I bought my xbox one phat in 2015 for quite a lot and I bought a ps4 slim this year. I don't regret the latter purchase but I mainly game on xbox so having the better tech would make amazing.

...next gen can't be that far... right?

I would like to see a patch as well. I already 1000/1000g the game, but wouldn't mind playing some parts of it again with some X1X enhancements.

Robso

Has anybody tested GTA: Episodes at all? Or GTA IV? Wondering how Episodes runs and I imagine it'll run similar to GTA IV.

vsMIC

are the mirror edge time trial server pemanently down? can not play trials because server unavailable since two days ...

Flagship

are the mirror edge time trial server pemanently down? can not play trials because server unavailable since two days ...

Yeah iirc you have to press option (B) on the controller (after the server message pops up) in order to play trial runs offline

wipeout364

I picked up Dead to Rights and it seems to force me to use inverted right joystick camera controls which is making it difficult to play. I looked up a scan of the instruction manual for the original Xbox release to see if it had an option to invert the camera controls and I can confirm that the PAL version did (couldn't find a US manual scan though), which is bizarre.

Anyone know if there's a way to invert the X-Axis of the right joystick on the Xbone? I tried checking the accessibility options but it only allows Y-Axis inversion.

Dead to rights doesn't seem to be available in Canada I wonder why?

vsMIC

Yeah iirc you have to press option (B) on the controller (after the server message pops up) in order to play trial runs offline

hm, does not work. the message only vanish by pushing A. and back in the trial menu, B is exit to main menu.

do i miss something?

Edit
Got. it. Cancel connection to server (brief Time window) and then you can play offline. Unfortunately no leaderboards nor ghosts, but achieving 3 stars run is challenging enough for me. Love it...

Persona 4 Arena is a nice surprise. I'm concerned that the list is drying up though which is frustrating as hell as there're still so many games to be added. Where's Radiant Silvergun for one? And I don't care what MS has to do regarding the licensing for PGR 3 and 4 but they absolutely have to be brought over to the backwards compatibility list as they're such an important part of the Xbox game library.

Chitown B

Persona 4 Arena is a nice surprise. I'm concerned that the list is drying up though which is frustrating as hell as there're still so many games to be added. Where's Radiant Silvergun for one? And I don't care what MS has to do regarding the licensing for PGR 3 and 4 but they absolutely have to be brought over to the backwards compatibility list as they're such an important part of the Xbox game library.

have any racing games except Forza 1 been made BC? Which was promptly delisted.

it won't happen. And I don't see them as being as important I guess. I had a 360 since 2007 and I never owned them.

Winkle

Came here hoping to see that any of old Tom Clancy stuff had been added... leaves disappointed. 😕

One day.. one day.

cireza

Banned
With Forces now around, I wish I could play 06, Unleashed and Generation on Xbox One. Too bad none of them are available.

Naked Lunch

Radiant Silvergun was added to Xbox one BC months ago...
This is one hell of an xbox exclusive to this day.

with the multiple Koei Tecmo BC releases over the last couple weeks (Ninja Gaiden Black, Tecmo Bowl), hopefully Ninja Gaiden II isn't too far off. I wouldn't expect an One X enhancement patch, but the benefit of a higher framerate could be a revelation in itself.

Top Bottom