• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Nezzhil

I don't know if I would be able to follow everything (damn Europe and your timezone), but whatever, I'm in for KOFIV, GGXR2, Smash4 and maybe Tekken. I also in for the upcoming content and game announcements

BadWolf

Pot sizes:

DEc_T7pXsAIrbJl.jpg

I'm finally going to EVO for the first time this year!

Been a stream monster since forever, so hype to actually get to be a part of it!

Part of me is bummed Melee won't be on Sunday, but oh well. Tekken will bring the hype on the main stage!

I'm running the EVO gauntlet too, because I'm going to be a bracket judge for Tekken 7 on Friday and Smash 4 & SFV on Saturday.

Entering SFV, GG:Xrd, T7, S4, Melee, and the Puyo Puyo Tetris and Project M side brackets. I might enter DBFZ if I have time.

I'm probably going to drop SFV and Xrd though, as I haven't practiced them enough lately. T7, Melee, PM, and PPT I want to not go 0-2 in. S4 I don't care really lol.

Also helping my friends shoot documentary footage for their PM doc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbltHqHwOiY

We leave from Cali tomorrow, and we plan to hit up shows in the evenings too.

Plans for the weekend:

- Not get bodied
- Find a cosplay waifu
- Hit up the red bull parties
- Get as many signatures for my stick & Gamecube controller case as possible
- Endless Mimosas before grand finals day

I am so hype. H Y P E !

Anyone know what the payout distribution is?

From the EVO site:

Think you can place in the money? That’s the spirit. Evo awards cash prizes to the top eight places at a rate proportional to the number of attendees. Ten dollars from the registration fee of each participant will go into a tournament prize pool, which will be awarded to the top finishers at a 60/20/10/4/2/2/1/1 split. For example, if 300 people enter a tournament, the total prize pool for that tournament will be $3000 ($300 x 10), paying out $1800 to first place (60% of $3000), $600 to second place (20% of $3000), and $300 to third place (10% of $3000), and so on.

SFV First place is getting 45 THOUSAND BISON DOLLARS. Hell 8th place gets 700 Bucks.

CSX

I keep on hearing Qudans might be coming to EVO.

Pleaseeeee let it happen.

Otherwise JDCR vs Knee grand finals confirmed :p

AAK

I'm finally going to EVO for the first time this year!

Been a stream monster since forever, so hype to actually get to be a part of it!

Part of me is bummed Melee won't be on Sunday, but oh well. Tekken will bring the hype on the main stage!

I'm running the EVO gauntlet too, because I'm going to be a bracket judge for Tekken 7 on Friday and Smash 4 & SFV on Saturday.

Entering SFV, GG:Xrd, T7, S4, Melee, and the Puyo Puyo Tetris and Project M side brackets. I might enter DBFZ if I have time.

I'm probably going to drop SFV and Xrd though, as I haven't practiced them enough lately. T7, Melee, PM, and PPT I want to not go 0-2 in. S4 I don't care really lol.

Also helping my friends shoot documentary footage for their PM doc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbltHqHwOiY

We leave from Cali tomorrow, and we plan to hit up shows in the evenings too.

Plans for the weekend:

- Not get bodied
- Find a cosplay waifu
- Hit up the red bull parties
- Get as many signatures for my stick & Gamecube controller case as possible
- Endless Mimosas before grand finals day

I am so hype. H Y P E !

From the EVO site:

SFV First place is getting 45 THOUSAND BISON DOLLARS. Hell 8th place gets 700 Bucks.

Did EVO ever send you the schedule of your pool and what time top 128 or top 64 of each game would be if you qualified?

I keep on hearing Qudans might be coming to EVO.

Pleaseeeee let it happen.

Otherwise JDCR vs Knee grand finals confirmed :p

https://smash.gg/tournament/evo-2017/attendees?per_page=50&filter={"eventIds":25088}&page=1

Entries are closed so if he's not on the list he ain't going.

Did EVO ever send you the schedule of your pool and what time top 128 or top 64 of each game would be if you qualified?

Yes, check your Smash.GG page (where you had to register to compete) and all the info should be there.

Here's what mine looks like (Green means show up, orange means tentative):

Someone can give their spot to him. JDCR won EVO 2014 by taking WCGalo's spot despite not registering on time.

True, as odd as it is but that's top player privilege lol.

Even BB has a higher pot than Melee, crazy.

Pretty sure all the other games have dev sponsorships / support. Melee isn't getting shit lol.

Even BB has a higher pot than Melee, crazy.

Most of the games get the majority of their pot from the developer/publisher. Melee and Smash 4 don't get any from NIntendo (and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing since the same group of people would always get the money anyways)

Most of the games get the majority of their pot from the developer/publisher. Melee and Smash 4 don't get any from NIntendo (and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing since the same group of people would always get the money anyways)

More incentive to travel and compete is always healthy for a scene. The people at the top tend to deserve it.

Ninjimbo

I only care about Tekken and SF. High level Tekken has been really fun to watch over the past few weeks. It reminds me a little bit of VF with all the focus on backdashing. I'm rooting for Tanukana to put in a good showing. JDCR is always awesome.

Pics_nao

Could've gone this year except the plan was to move offices that weekend. Turns out we're not moving at all and I missed out on a $175 roundtrip flight to Vegas.

At least I can watch from the comfort of my bed. Can't wait to see BB, GG, and Tekken. Hopefully SFV will be good this year but I'm not holding my breath.

Neoxon

Every game except T7 has less entrants this year, probably because registration fees are more expensive now.
There are other reasons individual to each game (more so the Top 3), but that seems to be the common cause across all of the impacted games (which are, as you said, every game except Tekken 7).

sinkfla87

Sonic hasnt been as visible since...i am positive he has a counter to Catwoman, Aquaman and Blackadam.
That Joker counterpick to Batman was hype.
Of course this is Evo and there are blowups EVERY YEAR, there are unknown players who come out of nowhere and make a name for themselves...That's why i LOVE EVO.

That joker match made my respect for him skyrocket. Everyone knows he likes the character but no one expected him to pull him out at the very end of a tournament haha. And to 3-0 someone with him!!! Apparently Sonic has been playing a ton of Red Hood so we'll see...

Noobe impressed me with his Cheetah play so I hope to see him get far.

Doomshine

How big is Tekken in Japan?

Until now they've had the biggest Tekken tournament series in the world with the MASTERCUP 5on5 tournaments. They had 187 teams with 935 players last year. They've been growing every year too so we'll have to see if they beat Evo's numbers this year.

Coda

Gonna be such a hype EVO this year, wish I was going. I say every year that I'm gonna go but I just don't like SF V enough to justify going. Maybe I'll go next year and compete in MVCI.

Oh shoot, CrossCounter and VampyBitMe doing Bar Fights again this year:

http://barfights.crosscounter.tv/

Smash on the 14th, FGC on the 15th.

My bro won't be able to get in but I CAN HAHA.

Gonna be such a hype EVO this year, wish I was going. I say every year that I'm gonna go but I just don't like SF V enough to justify going. Maybe I'll go next year and compete in MVCI.

I'm a huge Smash fan and while I don't really play SFV much the Anime fighters are fun to watch and Tekken has stolen my heart so I'm stoked.

Kashiwaba

Was getting burnt from watching all SFV tournaments last year, but this year i didn't watch anything since final round so I'm excited for SFV and Tekken 7 tournaments :).

I'll be arriving tomorrow morning! Here's my Smash 4 pool (D209 @ 4PM Friday):

I have no idea who any of these people are; I will consider that to be a good thing.

I also entered UMvC3 for old time's sake, but I know I'll get slaughtered there.

For anyone going to EVO, it seems Nintendo has a booth for promoting Pokkén Tournament DX.

WHAT:
EVO is one of the world's largest events for fighting game fans and professional competitors all over the world. Over three days in Las Vegas, EVO hosts a variety of tournaments and exhibitions for the community to showcase the love and universal appeal of competitive video games.

This year, Nintendo is attending the event with a booth space featuring playable kiosks for the Pokkén Tournament DX fighting game, which stars popular Pokémon characters and launches for the Nintendo Switch console on Sept. 22. During EVO, Nintendo will be playfully ”recruiting" people to join the virtual Pokkén Tournament DX Academy, which provides a direct line of communication between Nintendo and the Pokkén Tournament DX players.

By signing up for the Academy, members will receive exclusive tips and tricks directly from Nintendo and the game's development team, as well as invitations to a special Nintendo event at PAX West in Seattle.

EVO will feature visually engaging posters promoting the Academy, as well as a sign-up sheet at Nintendo's booth. Fans and pro players who sign up will be entered into an on-site drawing for the chance to win a Nintendo Switch system and the Pokkén Tournament DX game when it launches on Sept. 22.

WHO:
Pro fighting game players, Nintendo and fighting game fans

WHEN:
July 14-15
10 a.m.-8 p.m. PT

WHERE:
EVO
Mandalay Bay – South Convention Center – Nintendo Booth (No. 121)
3950 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89119

VISUALS:

Fighting arenas filled with hundreds of fans rooting for their favorite professional fighting game competitors.
Nintendo's booth filled with Pokémon-inspired visuals and playable Nintendo Switch systems with Pokkén Tournament DX.
Colorful posters around EVO promoting the Pokkén Tournament DX Academy.
A Nintendo fan or professional fighting game player winning a Nintendo Switch system.

Codeblue

I'll be arriving tomorrow morning! Here's my Smash 4 pool (D209 @ 4PM Friday):

I have no idea who any of these people are; I will consider that to be a good thing.

I also entered UMvC3 for old time's sake, but I know I'll get slaughtered there.

It's so hard to tell with Smash 4. So many secret killers everywhere. Might run into a dude from across the country that's put in work with a character you forgot existed.

Top Bottom