• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter OXM Details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a warning, in terms of details beyond mission descriptions, there's not that much here.

Details:
-Developed by Danger Close (both single and multiplayer)
-Frostbite 2.0
-Releasing October 2012
-The story continues to be about Tier 1 Operators.
-The story is also written by Tier 1 Operators, and loosely follows actual events and operators.
-Now working with over 24 operators for information and feedback, since they were quite happy with MoH1 and a lot more volunteered to help.
-They're not talking much about multiplayer yet, but we did get a few details.
-The multiplayer will include various international tier 1 factions (British, Australian, German, Polish) and some kind of one-shot, one kill hardcore mode.
-There will also be a co-op mode, but the game won't have full campaign co-op.
-"There are hooks in our multiplayer that are... different."
-Besides just the missions, the game's plotline will focus on the personal issues operators face. One example given is
about a strained phonecall between an operator and his wife.
-The main characters of the previous game return.
-One of the missions takes place in
Isabela City in the Philippines after it has been flooded by a typhoon, creating a Venice like scenario with knee high water.
-Again, as it's based on real events, they don't want the game to feel like a Michael Bay movie, so you won't see things like the Eiffel Tower exploding.
-However, since it is Frostbite 2, you will see things like the level chipping apart, papers flying, chandeliers swinging, and other things that are more plausible in a combat situation.
-You will sometimes have multiple choices when faced with a situation. One example given is
during a hostage rescue, you reach the door to the room the hostages should be in. You can either kick it in, C4 it, throw a grenade in, or use a flashbang. This will presumably change how the next part plays out tactically.
-The rest of this section involves
trying to escape the city with two hostages in tow and one of your teammates bleeding out. It's implied there's some kind of time pressure here, but not explicitly stated if there's a clock.
-OXM notes that the biggest difference between the game's campaign and other modern warfare shooters will again be tonal, so if you're wondering if you will like the game's campaign, ask yourself if you want a more polished/improved version of Medal of Honor 2010.
-I imagine this is the mission we'll see at their March 6th conference.

Dibbz

-OXM notes that the biggest difference between the game's campaign and other modern warfare shooters will again be tonal, so if you're wondering if you will like the game's campaign, ask yourself if you want a more polished/improved version of Medal of Honor 2010.

God damn, yes!

Sounds interesting . I'm more fond of futuristic shooters, but If it has a slow pace and a lot of stealth missions i'll could totally see myself getting it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
MoH was the last FPS campaign I actually finished. So, I'm kinda excited where they're going with this one. Also, I loved the game's approach. No Michael Bay stuff here, no siree!

I just hope they have their own thing going with MP. Bring back Support Actions but make them more varied.

I'm guessing the release date will be the last week of October, or a week or two before Black Ops 2 drops, no?

kuYuri

Them not talking much about MP hopefully means they are really overhauling it from MoH1 and spending real time on it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im never paying full price again for these 'modern warfare' type shooters. I play campaigns mostly and they are all 4-5 hours these days. 20-30$ game values to me.

I see they don't specify game length here so expect shortness.

Jharp

Really REALLY enjoyed Medal of Honor 2010's singleplayer campaign. It had its issues, but the stealth missions were wicked cool for being hyper-linear to the point of being nearly non-interactive, and the mission where you defend the house at the base of the hillside from incoming enemies as it slowly gets more and more destroyed was one of the most intense and downright awesome moments in an action game that year. Also, I remember really enjoying the story. Specifically a scene where a field commander is arguing with a general back in DC. Good stuff.

High hopes for this game.

Yeah -- sounds like exactly what I was hoping/asking for.

The mission described concerned the ST6 guys from the first game; I'd be shocked if the Delta operators from Wolfpack don't return as well, but I'll still be waiting on confirmation of that.

No mention on if the game will stay strictly focused on ST6/Delta this time around or if you'll once again also play as Tier 2 operators (Rangers) and/or other units.

antonz

Im excited. MOH was fantastic for its single player. Short yes but the content was superb. Now that they have impressed the Teir 1 op guys even more and have more telling their stories and pitching in I can only imagine its going to get even better

MoH was an awful game.

Seems like this game won't be any different.

What I'd like is a FarCry 2 open world environment where you're a lone Tier 1 operator. Actually using your head and reading the terrain via a map would be awesome.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm not excited right now, but I know I'll enjoy it. Really enjoyed MoH's single player.

Reminds me... I am looking forward to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier as well, but in their promotional push, Ubisoft continually talks about about how it's their goal to really make you feel like you're an elite special forces operator in a way no other game has. Good luck with that... GR:FS may or may not turn out to be a better game than MoH:W, but they aren't going to touch MoH in that regard.

Sounds great. Hopefully the co op mode wont be some stupid horde type thing, really getting tired of those.
For co-op, I'd like to see a variety of self-contained mini-missions that are closer to the real-life raids the JSOC SMUs regularly encounter.

Kind of like Spec Ops in a sense, but with INFIL/EXFIL to give them each more of a complete, standalone feel. For example, helicopter in at lightning speed, hit the target compound, clear it in a matter of minutes using teamwork and well-coordinated breaching/room clearing, gather the intelligence materials, and then extract. And then onto the next one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hardcore mode sounds interesting. Not too sure how practical that will be though.

"Belly of the Beast" was such an incredible level. That level alone did a good job of separating it from CoD and Battlefield's single player modes.

For co-op, I'd like to see a variety of self-contained mini-missions that are closer to the real-life raids the JSOC SMUs regularly encounter.

Kind of like Spec Ops in a sense, but with INFIL/EXFIL to give them each more of a complete, standalone feel. For example, helicopter in at lightning speed, hit the target compound, clear it in a matter of minutes using teammate and well-coordinated breaching/room clearing, gather the intelligence materials, and then extract. And then onto the next one.

Oh that'd be so awesome.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
One of my favourite single player FPS campaigns of this generation. So good, it convinced me to double dip on 360 and PC - and I haven't done that since the days of the PS2.

Orca

Wasn't there
a strained phone call between soldier on a helicopter and his wife/gf back home
in the first game already? I remember seeing it in a preview video.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't there
a strained phone call between soldier on a helicopter and his wife/gf back home
in the first game already? I remember seeing it in a preview video.

This one is a bit different than that trailer thing.

They actually wrote a fair amount about it, but I figured everyone would be able to see it in a few weeks anyway.

dethforce

Banned
sounds like the poor 2010 medal of honor - short, boring and overall (thanks to the scripting) shit experiance.

we should start a kickstarter campaign: dear game developers, stop flooding the video game market with soulless 08/15 first person shooter games.

sounds like the poor 2010 medal of honor - short, boring and overall (thanks to the scripting) shit experiance.

we should start a kickstarter campaign: dear game developers, stop flooding the video game market with soulless 08/15 first person shooter games.

I think MoH had more soul then any other big console shooter. At least Danger Close had a vision, and wanted to do something different then the current crop of shooters. More of that please.

spats

I really hated the campaign in MoH. The trailers and screenshots made it look really exciting and like something that could differ from all the competitors but then the gameplay completely let it down for me. I kept running into situations where the scripting broke and kept shooting into invisible walls instead of enemies. Story was totally unremarkable and forgettable and the visuals were all over the place.

Touched the multiplayer once I think. Felt sort of competent but launching into it was a total chore so I never bothered with it more than that.

I really hope this is better.

Stitch

Gold Member
The hand-holding in MoH was so awful.

'There's a guy, shoot him'
'There's a door, open it'
'No, you can't open this door. You'll have to wait for your slow CPU buddys'
'Now it's stealth time so press crouch and just follow your slow CPU buddy for 30 minutes'

Man even the sniper mission told you what you have to do.

This also happens in COD but somehow they manage to make it more exciting....

Oh yeah, and the scripting broke several times so I had to restart the whole goddamn level a few times.
There were a few nice things but overall it was very, very meh-ish

dethforce

Banned
I really hated the campaign in MoH. The trailers and screenshots made it look really exciting and like something that could differ from all the competitors but then the gameplay completely let it down for me. I kept running into situations where the scripting broke and kept shooting into invisible walls instead of enemies. Story was totally unremarkable and forgettable and the visuals were all over the place.

here vinterbird is your answer. the trailers made the campaign look awesome, but in the end it was a total letdown. i didnt care for any of the characters
you die at the end, whatever life just goes on
and the missions didnt seem to be connected. and the awful atv sequences.

Oh yeah, and the scripting broke several times so I had to restart the whole goddamn level a few times.

yeah - last mission, where you run into a cave, where the taliban came in darkness and there would be a big firefight and then, your bro should go on, but he wont and you cant do anything, because the scripting is broken. or another situation, were you fight and after whatever time, you have to wait because a drone will come in and bomb the place away, otherwise you couldn go on.

Sounds promising. MoH's campaign wasn't the greatest but it was definitely one of the better ones since CoD4.

Here's hoping they take one last thing from Call of Duty and stop throwing in god damn multiplayer trophies. It's the one thing I really hate about the Battlefield's and MoH.

Sounds good. The first one didn't fully convinced me, it had some nice parts and some bad design choices. Hope this one could learn from those mistake, it has a lot of potential.

J-Rzez

SP ended up being really good, which surprised me. The MP on the other hand, well, that needs a lot of work. Though they have hired some talented people from what I understand! ;)

FGMPR

Banned
It sounds great. I was a little worried that they were going to 'Michael Bay' it up for the sequel (BIGGER, BETTER!!! etc.), but it sounds like they are keeping it grounded and focusing on the polish which is great.

It'll be interesting to see what Danger Close can do in the MP arena as well.

The_Monk

I am very curious about this one. Thanks for the bits of info OP.

I really hope to have just a little longer Single Player, aside from that I'll keep a positive tiny-hype.

Top Bottom