• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood and Gore as cosmetic DLC

Mondy

Banned
Okay, so this is a new one.

Creative Assembly have gone to the interesting length of offering blood and gore for Rome II as a 3 dollar piece of DLC.....Blood and Gore for 3 bucks

Is this what it's come to?? Really? We can't even have proper blood and gore in our video games as standard anymore? I tell you what, the sooner this micro transaction bullshit passes the industry by, the better.

Nibel

image.php

Goon Boon

Banned
This is obviously stripped from the main game for later sales, or was going to be put in the game and was put aside to be sold as dlc later. Anyone that defends this is a shill.

Bulzeeb

This is obviously stripped from the main game for later sales, or was going to be put in the game and was put aside to be sold as dlc later. Anyone that defends this is a shill.

I guess they wanted a teen rating while offering an M rating expansion sort of

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Creative Assembly have gone to the interesting length of offering blood and gore for Rome II as a 3 dollar piece of DLC.....Blood and Gore for 3 bucks.

Is this what it's come to?? Really? We can't even have proper blood and gore in our video games as standard anymore? I tell you what, the sooner this micro transaction bullshit passes the industry by, the better.

I'm a bit torn on this-

On one hand, it's a way for them to get the game passed the rating system without an AO but still get gore.

On the other, they are CHARGING for it.

Now, if it was just a free DLC, I'm sure there would be nothing but goodwill all around.

Too bad publishers don't give a shit about that any more.

Not sure about DLC, but as a removable option it's good.

Gears of War with gore turned off is surprisingly Teen friendly. More games should allow it as an option so parents can regulate their kids games, but still allow them a fuller library to play.

Might as well start selling textures, audio files and controller functions at this point. What better way to pump money out of your customers than to sell them the ability to jump or reload for $1 $5 $10 $30.

Mrbob

It is dumb to sell separately but I believe this is what is required to keep a Teen rating. Otherwise it is rated Mature.

Camisado

I think the main reason for doing this is the age rating to be honest, by having it as a charged DLC then it wont effect the rating of the main game.

Last time they did this (with Shogun 2) it was cheaper though...

Carlow

aren't these just to keep the initial game age rating down?

the DLC pack carries a 18 Rating, the actual Game a 16.

either way still rather silly thing to do.

So would people form places like Germany not be allowed to download this? I seem to remember games there couldn't have blood.

Fake edit: I might be wrong about this, I have a crappy memory. Feel free to mock me if I'm wrong, I'll forgive you tomorrow when I've completely forgotten about this.

Lautaro

I guess I'm a shill then because I don't find it so outrageous. I mean, you are paying for new animations and textures to replace the ones that come with the vanilla game (for example, a beheading is something that requires new animations and probably new models).

Now, 3 USD is too much, I''l wait for it to be 1 USD (because that's what I paid for the blood pack of Shogun 2).

Serious question: does the ESRB classifies DLC separately from a game? because having this separated could mean that the game keeps it's classification while the DLC gets the M rating. Or am I speaking nonsense?

potam

Banned
So would people form places like Germany not be allowed to download this? I seem to remember games there couldn't have blood.

Fake edit: I might be wrong about this, I have a crappy memory. Feel free to mock me if I'm wrong, I'll forgive you tomorrow when I've completely forgotten about this.

It may have changed in recent years, but I remember reading about SoF2 censoring itself by making the enemies robots, and the blood 'oil'.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/05/01/soldier-of-fortune2-german-changes/

Goldmund

I wish we didn't have this much "proper" blood and gore in video games. It'd be pretty egotistical to expect a medium that as a whole appealed to me as a kid to stop appealing to kids now that I'm looking for something that has to do more with my adult life, of course. And yeah, DLC practices in general are sleazy, even if some wear proper suits and have some manners (which, if this is about the rating, could fall under). The Total War series really doesn't need any gore, although Rome II could use some blood, -- okay, it really could use some blood, even if all it does is cover up the fact that it's a disappointing continuation of the series.

Czigga

Well I hate to admit it but I'm going to be buying it. Dat blood & gore.

Adds a lot to a game like this. I do think it's bullshit but it's worth $3 to me so what can I do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah it kind of sucks and is too expensive, but let's be upfront about what the DLC is. It's not just blood. The DLC claims to have hundreds of unique crafted animations to improve the look of battles. That's a little more worthwhile than some blood spatters, even if you still dislike the idea of it.

antitrop

Yeah it kind of sucks and is too expensive, but let's be upfront about what the DLC is. It's not just blood. The DLC claims to have hundreds of unique crafted animations to improve the look of battles. That's a little more worthwhile than some blood spatters, even if you still dislike the idea of it.
Sounds worth $3 to me, but I don't play Rome II.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Vote with that wallet. Shit's only gonna get worse if you don't.

Exactly. Don't buy crap like this people -- or you'll only see more like it.
I have to find that this sort of thing is BS, since at least someone is going to purchase the damn thing. Even if only about 10 people buy the back, Sega will probably consider that a success, as all they needed was to strip out the content at no cost.

I bought it. Three bucks ain't nothing. I mean I guess the principle of the thing and whatever, but it's three dollars. Nothing to get worked up over.

Saganator

Doesn't surprise me. CA has been going down this path for years. If it was to maintain the Teen rating, seems pretty shady to make people pay an extra $3 for their ratings gymnastics. I love the Total War series, but I'm pretty glad I sat Rome II out. First one I skipped at release since I first started playing them.

Hubb

I wanted to name Shogun 2 instantly, but they have managed to do it again!?

What in the fuck.

I think Shogun's was only 1 dollar. They said, as others have stated, that it was to keep the game at a T rating. Not sure why it is 3 dollars now, but just don't buy it. Maybe they'll learn, maybe they wont do it again.

EDIT: it is 1.59 for Shogun 2.

I remember playing Jet Force Gemini, where you collected the heads of your enemies, and that unlocked a code for RAINBOW BLOOD.

Can we go back to that please? Where we are rewarded for hard work and not spending.

antitrop

I remember playing Jet Force Gemini, where you collected the heads of your enemies, and that unlocked a code for RAINBOW BLOOD.

Can we go back to that please? Where we are rewarded for hard work and not spending.
I remember as a kid being marveled at how JFG got away with a Teen rating.

potam

Banned

Either way, it's not as if they're selling you new gameplay content down the road. They're selling you upgraded basic things like animations. That in itself is almost more offensive than paying for gore.

This seems like more SEGA's go than CA.

Prior to Shogun 2, the Total War series hadn't even had gore (probably blood as well but I can't remember).

Maybe I'm part of the problem but I can't say I care that much, given that they patched in two factions (Pontics and Seleucids) and just gave away the Nomadic Tribes DLC for free.

Decado

In this case I don't really mind (assuming it is well implemented). The franchise has never had an M-rated game, so w/o the paid DLC the battles would continue to look boring as hell.

Would prefer if they just made the game M-rated. Can't imagine it would hurt sales.

nikos

Blood and gore being DLC as a means of receiving a lower ESRB rating (if that's even possible) wouldn't be too bad. To charge for it, however, is sort of ridiculous.

mrpeabody

Ok guys, we get it, you hate DLC. How many threads do we have to have about it? This week it's blood and gore. Next week it'll be, I don't know, customizable HP bars or something, and we'll fire up the outrage machine all over again.

I guess that's what message boards are for, getting mad about things you have no control over, but it just gets old.

Creative Assembly have gone to the interesting length of offering blood and gore for Rome II as a 3 dollar piece of DLC.....Blood and Gore for 3 bucks

I don't think it will ever pass the industry. It's hear to stay and getting worst day by day.

Top Bottom