• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a case which I'm glad about, cos it means I can take the console out of the house with me. Bigger than I expected though.

That's the case I have as well! I honestly love the thing and find that it works perfect for just taking the Switch out and about.

Thanks, it does look nice.

Does it have boxes or something similar to store cartridges?

It has like 12 "pouches" that you can slide games into. It's pretty much designed to hold a Switch and some games and that's it. Works perfectly for what it does.

ParityBit

Each gets a joy-con with a strap, yep.

Thanks!

Yeah, this is why I'm waiting to put my 128gb card into the system until I download Mario Kart Deluxe. Apparently the internal storage is much faster than SD cards and cartridges on Switch. Problem is that as soon as you put in the SD card, storage defaults to the card with no option to turn it off.

Hrm. Interesting. So should I remove my SD card when I buy it so it installs on the internal? Does it really matter though?

Yeah, this is why I'm waiting to put my 128gb card into the system until I download Mario Kart Deluxe. Apparently the internal storage is much faster than SD cards and cartridges on Switch. Problem is that as soon as you put in the SD card, storage defaults to the card with no option to turn it off.

Hrm. Interesting. So should I remove my SD card when I buy it so it installs on the internal? Does it really matter though?

I thought it wasn't that big of a difference? I saw that Digital Foundry check with BotW and it didn't make me think "damn, need to go internal" - just "hmm, it's a tad faster I suppose" IIRC.

Bate

That's the case I have as well! I honestly love the thing and find that it works perfect for just taking the Switch out and about.

It has like 12 "pouches" that you can slide games into. It's pretty much designed to hold a Switch and some games and that's it. Works perfectly for what it does.

sounds great! Have to find it in Germany first though.

edit: price at Amazon.com is nice. Bought it there.

chronomac

Question for those that have returned their left Joy-cons: after you contacted NoA and they sent your a return label, did they send anything else? I have the label, the Joy-Con and a box to put it in. Will they know, just from that, that it's mine?

psychotron

Thanks!

I thought it wasn't that big of a difference? I saw that Digital Foundry check with BotW and it didn't make me think "damn, need to go internal" - just "hmm, it's a tad faster I suppose" IIRC.

It's a five second difference over cartridge speeds in some cases on Zelda. Not saying that'll be the norm, but as long as I still have internal space, might as well use it up.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just finished Lego City. I'M WALKIN ON SUNSHINE WOOAAHH

Yeah that was pretty good. One of if not the best lego game I've played. Loved the writing and humour.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Finally I got an update that I will get my joycon back on monday...but not gonna be here so need to wait to tuesday now!

I have just bought the orzly screen protector + case which should arrive tomorrow! I can't wait to finally play my Switch again. Total turn around will be 15 days.

Question for those that have returned their left Joy-cons: after you contacted NoA and they sent your a return label, did they send anything else? I have the label, the Joy-Con and a box to put it in. Will they know, just from that, that it's mine?

I'm not in the US but my label had my repair reference on it. Did you check to see if it's on there? If not I'd just write your details on a piece of paper and stick it in with the joycon.

chronomac

I'm not in the US but my label had my repair reference on it. Did you check to see if it's on there? If not I'd just write your details on a piece of paper and stick it in with the joycon.

I'll have to check that when I get home from work. I might just slip the receipt inside (even though it says to keep it).

Had a weird issue with my right joycon the other day. The Switch was undocked in sleep mode with the joycons attached, in the drawer like I leave it every night. When I grabbed it to play some Zelda the right joycon was dead. Pressing buttons/home button did nothing, detaching and attaching it did nothing... I thought the battery might have died, although that was unlikely, so I kept it charging for a while but that didn't fix it. I pressed the sync button once, still nothing. I thought it was surely dead, then I pressed the sync button again and it finally worked. That was a relief.

Don't know why that happened. The only thing I did different that night was leave NFC on (I usually keep it off).

Iced

Had a weird issue with my right joycon the other day. The Switch was undocked in sleep mode with the joycons attached, in the drawer like I leave it every night. When I grabbed it to play some Zelda the right joycon was dead. Pressing buttons/home button did nothing, detaching and attaching it did nothing... I thought the battery might have died, although that was unlikely, so I kept it charging for a while but that didn't fix it. I pressed the sync button once, still nothing. I thought it was surely dead, then I pressed the sync button again and it finally worked. That was a relief.

Don't know why that happened. The only thing I did different that night was leave NFC on (I usually keep it off).

I had no idea NFC could be disabled. Thanks!

Protome

This has happened to me frequently since launch. Holding the sync button seems to fix it most times but its pretty scary given the sync lights don't even come on when you are hitting the buttons.

Poetaster

Banned

I just now had this issue with my right joycon after taking it out of the dock where it had been charging overnight. Weird.

So i think i'm missing something.. i've made 3 accounts for each region i'm interested in but how do i add fund via eshop card ? Are card region free ? I live in Europe and i want to buy from the US or JP eshop.

ParityBit

So the only way to install a downloaded game on the internal memory is to remove/fill my SD card first? I am wondering if I should/can remove it when I buy MK just so I can have something on it.

BizzyBum

So the only way to install a downloaded game on the internal memory is to remove/fill my SD card first? I am wondering if I should/can remove it when I buy MK just so I can have something on it.

What's the reason to have things on the internal memory once you get an SD card?

BizzyBum

Internal memory runs faster than sd card. In a game like Lego UC, any second matters when load times are immense.

Oh, I guess if load times are the only thing affected it's not that big a deal. I wonder what the best SD card is for loading games, I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would be OK with installs on the internal memory if the thing didn't have just 25GB. It's silly Nintendo doesn't allow install transferring. Until they do I'd rather just have everything be on the SD card and not worry about storage.

blitz64

bomberman, tetris, street fighter 2, and mario kart. Pretty much my top games of all time and available on the switch so quickly.

Switch is so much better than Wii U already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh, I guess if load times are the only thing affected it's not that big a deal. I wonder what the best SD card is for loading games, I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V62XBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would be OK with installs on the internal memory if the thing didn't have just 25GB. It's silly Nintendo doesn't allow install transferring. Until they do I'd rather just have everything be on the SD card and not worry about storage.

On the PS4 I use the external storage like a library, and anything I'm actively playing I swap to internal the SSD for better performance. Hopefully the Switch allows this at some point.

japtor

Question, What's cheaper for MK8D Amazon prime discount or Best Buy discount?
Too late now, but Best Buy GCU+Visa Checkout deal. I'll probably wait for that to come around again to get MK8D. Or just impulse buy it cause I have a bunch of gift card credit at Best Buy.
I feel like I want to trade in my Wii U copy of MK8 for the Switch version but Best Buy is only offering $12 for it.

I bought all the DLC for it too so that is pretty much a rip off.
Not great but Amazon is (was?) offering $22-23 or so. I figure I'd never play the Wii U one again so just traded mine in there.

If any gaffers have MK8 Deluxe feel free to add me! Myself, GameXplain, NintenDaan, Direct Feed Games and a few others will be playing a few online rounds in around an hour.

5288-2215-7705 :)

HeeHo

The PS2 to PS4 classics thread got me thinking about the lack of a trophy system on Switch.

I've seen some people counter the 'no-trophy' complaint with the MyNintendo rewards thing but the last time I looked up the rewards it was pretty laughable. It seemed like you can only earn rewards for certain games during certain time periods. Even then though, the rewards were discounts and other really small stuff.

I'd straight up rather have a trophy/achievement system. For now, it doesn't bug me at all with the Switch because Zelda is so damn impressive to me. Although it really takes the steam out of playing 3DS games and Wii U games when I begin to think about how I could be making some sort of digital imprint of my progress on other platforms that have this system.

It reminds me of the PS2 days when you would play something like Persona or Rogue Galaxy for 100 hours and all you have to show for it is a save file. I understand that just playing the game and enjoying it should be enough but when other companies offer this stuff and it's left out here, I can't help but think we're missing out.

I wish it would've even started on the 3DS. I'd love to have trophies for the SMT games and Dragon Quest series where you are seriously putting in 80- 100 hours. I just know that I'd play my Nintendo devices a lot more if this stuff was implemented.

Anyway, did they say anything was down the pipeline for this?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not bothered about the lack of an achievement/trophy system, but there absolutely should be one and I'm surprised Nintendo still doesn't have one in place. It took Sony what, less than 2 years to react and put a trophy system on a system not originally designed to support them? There's no excuse for Nintendo not coming up with one of their own.

HeeHo

I'm not bothered about the lack of an achievement/trophy system, but there absolutely should be one and I'm surprised Nintendo still doesn't have one in place. It took Sony what, less than 2 years to react and put a trophy system on a system not originally designed to support them? There's no excuse for Nintendo not coming up with one of their own.

Maybe Nintendo thinks it's cruel to appeal to people who might have OCD about these kinds of things. When a game I like is about to come out I tell myself "i'm going to get all the trophies for this" but the actual process is not always that fun and I hardly ever do it. Maybe that's the philosophy. I'd still prefer them though.

PBY

Banned
Is there a good site/place to see what comes out on the eShop? Trying to figure out what dropped this week. Got Mr. Shift last week, which was fine for what it is.

FinalAres

The PS2 to PS4 classics thread got me thinking about the lack of a trophy system on Switch.

I've seen some people counter the 'no-trophy' complaint with the MyNintendo rewards thing but the last time I looked up the rewards it was pretty laughable. It seemed like you can only earn rewards for certain games during certain time periods. Even then though, the rewards were discounts and other really small stuff.

I'd straight up rather have a trophy/achievement system. For now, it doesn't bug me at all with the Switch because Zelda is so damn impressive to me. Although it really takes the steam out of playing 3DS games and Wii U games when I begin to think about how I could be making some sort of digital imprint of my progress on other platforms that have this system.

It reminds me of the PS2 days when you would play something like Persona or Rogue Galaxy for 100 hours and all you have to show for it is a save file. I understand that just playing the game and enjoying it should be enough but when other companies offer this stuff and it's left out here, I can't help but think we're missing out.

I wish it would've even started on the 3DS. I'd love to have trophies for the SMT games and Dragon Quest series where you are seriously putting in 80- 100 hours. I just know that I'd play my Nintendo devices a lot more if this stuff was implemented.

Anyway, did they say anything was down the pipeline for this?

I am FOR keeping trophies on PS2 classics because of consumer demand. I am also FOR trophies on Switch because I know non- hardcore Nintendo fans like them.

But I personally am so glad the Switch doesn't have them. I hate having that "oh you're only 15% through the game because you've only FINISHED IT" award system.

I don't have time to 100% games any more,so having something that encourages me to overplay games isn't appreciated.

Graceful Explosion Machine vs Blaster Master Zero. What would you recommend?

Shit... That's tough because they're both really good. Without any qualifiers, I would say Graceful Explosion machine. I'm definitely having more fun with it and it's designed around replaying levels for better scores. Blaster Master is kind of a one and done thing.

The real answer is both, because Blaster Master is a great Metroid-style game. My biggest complaint was that it's pretty easy to cheese certain things. I used one blaster type in the top-down levels for literally the whole game. Only had to switch if I took damage.

BizzyBum

I remember reading that Miyamoto doesn't want achievements in Nintendo games because it dictates how people would play it or something like that.

I remember reading that Miyamoto doesn't want achievements in Nintendo games because it dictates how people would play it or something like that.

Honestly, that is my biggest complaint with Achievements/Trophies. I 100% find myself looking for the easiest ways to collect all of them rather than just enjoying the game. I honestly prefer what Nintendo does with Mario games where you just have stars on your save file for completing certain things.

There are examples of great trophy implementation, but it just seems like those games are few and far between.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is there a good site/place to see what comes out on the eShop? Trying to figure out what dropped this week. Got Mr. Shift last week, which was fine for what it is.
for now, the official nintendo online shop

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide

sort by release date, choose your platform(s), and select Available Now. Once they're available to buy on eshop you can even then buy them right from the site to your account.

I'm all for Nintendo adding the equivalent of achievements or trophies. I know some people hate them, but I kind of dig them. And if there is any game that I'm going to get 100% in, its most likely going to be a Nintendo game. I wouldn't mind being able to "brag" about about my accomplishments to co-workers and friends, and its a fun motivator.

I almost wonder if there is some way to make a community driven achievement system. Like a social website where you can share screen captures of your achievements in Nintendo games. You could try to achieve community created goals (Unlock Golden Mario in MK8D, Find All The Korok Seeds, etc), and then gain points and go up in rank on certain milestones... It would require some sort of proof I suppose, and a screenshot from the Switch may not always suffice. I don't know, I'm just spitballing :p A more official solution would obviously be nice but something player run could create a fun community.

I thought for sure Nintendo games would have achievements through My Nintendo and you could earn coins with them, too. The mobile games already kinda do this, wish the Switch games did too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom