• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA breaks promise of including BF 1943 with the PS3 version of BF3

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
http://www.gamepur.com/news/5925-di...-free-copy-battlefield-3-limited-edition.html

DICE has finally commented on whether the PS3 version of Battlefield 3 will include the free copy of Battlefield 1943 as promised earlier by Sony and EA. On all this, DICE said that Battlefield 3 Limited Edition will come out only with Back to Karkand DLC, apart from that nothing else.

For those that need a reminder watch the video at 7:48
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/16/e3-replay-battlefield-3-for-ps3/

And then there's articles on it after E3...
http://www.gamesradar.com/e3-2011-battlefield-3-for-ps3-shipping-with-free-copy-of-battlefield-1943/
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/need-for-speed-the-run-ssx-and-battlefield-3-have-exclusive-c/

Am I the only one who thinks this is bullshit? I was really looking forward to having 1943, and it was a driving factor in my purchase of the PS3 version. How do you announce something, and then quietly decide not to go through with it?!!

I'm thinking of contacting EA on this matter.

Edit:

ps3bf35zz5.png

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, if they want to continue the bad press surrounding the release, they certainly know how to do it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They mentioned on Twitter that the 1 week PS3 DLC exclusivity was given in lieu of this.

Edit:

In case people are confused, I'm not endorsing decision.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well hah. Supposed this would happen after there was no mention of it in the cover.

Good job, EA. Excellent job earning the trust of your clients.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Plaguefox said:
So instead of packing in the free game, giving customers two games for the price of one, customers get to buy DLC one week early? Or are given DLC one week early?

Can you elaborate? I'm trying to figure out how many times I should smh.
I've added their only statement on the matter into the OP.

Perhaps a few smh's. :lol

At least PS3 owners won't have to suffer through rounds of BF1943 now. I'm sure 3 is superior in every way. even on consoles.

That said, it's still sort of bullshit to promise one thing and deliver another.

So people get to pay for overpriced DLC a week before everyone else? I am sure they are thrilled to get that instead of what they were promised. Personally I don't really care about this but that's a dick move.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nirolak said:
They mentioned on Twitter that the 1 week PS3 DLC exclusivity was given in lieu of this.

On Twitter? How nice. I don't have a Twitter account, so how was I supposed to know?

I was literally looking through my included papers, and navigating through the menus looking for the option to install BF 1943.

This just isn't sitting well with me, I want the code for the game that I was promised at this year's E3.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Not that it's a big deal to me, since I have 1943 already.. still kind of a bitch move on EA's part.

I can't see why they didn't just do it, it's a 2yr old game, they've made their money back on it already.

Mrbob

DLC a week early, what a replacement! Every time you think EA takes two steps forward as a publisher, they take 5 back.

Nirolak said:
I'm not understanding how anybody could think of a week of platform exclusive DLC as a "bonus", much less anywhere near the value of a full game.

Takao

Banned
Wario64 said:
So basically PS3 owners can give money first to EA for future DLC?

Given this is Grace Chen, US customers might be giving EA money the same time as everyone else.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NullPointer said:
I'm not understanding how anybody could think of a week of platform exclusive DLC as a "bonus", much less anywhere near the value of a full game.

Timed, platform exclusive DLC is one of the silliest practices to come out of this generation. "One week early" essential means "one week late" for everyone else. Who the hell benefits from that? It's a pretty lousy substitute for a free copy of BF1943.

Man, this just makes me curious just what the hell has gone down in the development of Battlefield 3. There is a story in there, I'm sure.

Snuggler said:
Timed, platform exclusive DLC is one of the silliest practices to come out of this generation. "One week early" essential means "one week late" for everyone else. Who the hell benefits from that? It's a pretty lousy substitute for a free copy of BF1943.
Yeah, I can only imagine some marketing intern thinking its a great idea, while all of their customers just roll their eyes.

Loudninja

Hahah how in the hell does that make anything up?

EA:To make it up we going to allow PS3 users the first opportunity to give us more money.

Spike

The devs have to keep food on their table. How can they do this by giving away a free game?

At least they are giving you a whole week of early access to their map pack expansions. Make sure you buy them as soon as they are available so that they can guarantee funding on their next project.

Paracelsus

Spike said:
The devs have to keep food on their table. How can they do this by giving away a free game?

At least they are giving you a whole week of early access to their map pack expansions. Make sure you buy them as soon as they are available so that they can guarantee funding on their next project.

*paging RoninChaos*

And this, gentlemen, are things that get an online pass nowadays.

GQman2121

Banned
I had no idea the PS3 version was coming with 1943. Interesting week for publishers and their decisions regarding their customers.

FStop7

Banned
People who bought the PS3 version because they expected DICE to follow through on their promise should be given the opportunity to return their games, even if opened, for a full refund.

Massa

So instead of getting a free game you get to see PC and Xbox 360 users wait an extra week for DLC.

As if the crap beta wasn't enough EA just keeps giving me reasons not to buy BF3.

Top Bottom