• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

onQ123

gofreak said:
I spy with my little eye...

http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

'View Source'

'Ctrl-f: Vita'

<li> <a href="/ps3/index.htm">PS Vita<span class="reg">&reg;</span></a>
<ul>
<li><a href="/psvita/features/index.htm">Features</a></li>
<li><a href="/psvita/games-and-media/index.htm">Games &amp; Media</a></li>

These links, of course, don't go anywhere yet.

The ‘NGP’. The ‘Next Generation Portable’. The ‘PSP2’.
These are all synonyms for the successor of the PSP. But what is the final name?

The NGP was officially announced in January of this year. The release of the PSP successor itself wasn’t a big shock. We all knew it had to come eventually. The real shock was the specs of the device, which was essentially credited as a PS3 Portable with similar graphics.
After the announcement it became a tad silent around the NGP as Sony is waiting on the E3 to announce more.

But today we received some new, and exclusive, information from an anonymous source.
The official name of the NGP!
Rumor has it that the new Sony handheld will bear the name PS Vita. Vita is Latin/Italian for ‘life’.
Does Sony hope to bring life back into their stock? Do they want to rejuvenate the PSP? Revitalize your needs for portable gaming?

Our source tells us that this will be the definite and final name of the new system Sony will bring out at the end of 2011.
Sony is expected to give further announcements on the E3 next week.

P.S. Please remember to take this with a grain of salt and this is NOT fake information that we have made up. The source cannot be proven reliable, of course, but this site was not set up with the intention of getting hits with bogus information. Other sites may do this but to be honest, I think that’s pretty sad. To reiterate, please don’t take this as fact and look to E3 for the final name; hopefully we’ll have it right!

In my opinion this is a very surprising name. Mainly because it will be the first innovative name Sony is using for any of its consoles/handhelds.

The above is of course still speculation and rumours and we have no confirmation as of yet but we will have some soon.

http://gamespundit.com/1359/rumour-time-ngps-official-name-revealed

take with a big bag of salt, I never heard of this website but you never know.

M.D

Yeah.... No.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "Playstation Next" or something like that

Vita?
vitatops-product.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony would have announced it before e3 to get all the rage out. Remember wii?

It's in sony's interest I think to just smack a 2 on the end so people know it's a sequel. I think the 3ds confuses some.

Cue retail confusion in pronouncing the name. If its based on the Italian for "life" it should be pronounced "VEE-tah" but we'll get "vai-tah." It's going to take some intense branding effort on Sony's part to get people to say it right. Downright Nintendo Wii levels.

omimasum

Neo Member
ermmm no. I actually like the name NGP now that I've got used to it. PSP2 or NGP is fine. Vita doesn't sound like a gaming device at all.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a poor attempt to emulate the Wii name...which I actually thought was pretty nifty and made strategic sense when I first heard it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rumor has it that the new Sony handheld will bear the name PS Vita. Vita is Latin/Italian for ‘life’.
PS Life was taken so they went with PS Vita.

Creativity :bow

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
It's in sony's interest I think to just smack a 2 on the end so people know it's a sequel. I think the 3ds confuses some.
No! The worst thing for this device would be the mass market perceiving this as the sequel to PSP. It would go down well in Japan, and nowhere else.

Andrefpvs

I like the word but I don't like the way it reads after PlayStation:

"PlayStation Vita"

The "ta" at the end is weird. It doesn't sound natural after the "chan" sound in "PlayStation".

I hope I'm not making any sense.

Y2Kev said:

I've heard so many people be extremely confused over the 3DS, they just think it's another DS and don't understand why games won't work on it and so on.

Putting a 2 after the name would do some for that, but one could argue that Sony wants to start over in terms of brand names.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Vinterbird said:
I've heard so many people be extremely confused over the 3DS, they just think it's another DS and don't understand why games won't work on it and so on.

Putting a 2 after the name would do some for that, but one could argue that Sony wants to start over in terms of brand names.
lol PS1, 2, and 3 disagree!

Sounds like one of the scraping-the-bottom-of-the-name-barrel names that cellphones and cars usually end up being tagged with.

Not a fan. Hope it's a red herring.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It won't be PS Vita I can almost guarantee it. It's not silly enough.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Y2Kev said:

Agreed. The are already joggling with a bunch of different PlayStation brands (PS Eye, PS Move, PS Store, PS Network, PS Certified, PS Home etc) each indicating a specific product/service.

For the PlayStation handheld they already went the "Portable" route and should stick with it IMO.

Besides, PS Vita might very well exist as a name, but for some service/app maybe.

GavinGT said:
PS Vita, more like PS Mortis.

I see what you did there!

It reminds me of names like Xperia. The PlayStation phone should not have been called Xperia Play... at least PS Vita would have PlayStation in the title. And at least its not PSP2.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I thought of "Playstation Zeal" in an old thread.

As it turns out I wasn't that far, thematically at least. Assuming any of this is true of course, which I hope it isn't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've seen a lot of split opinion on whether they should ditch 'PSP' or keep it.

But names are just names, whatever it is we'll adapt to it.

Top Bottom