• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

Astery

Digital Deluxe Edition...a Samurai Set skin, three gestures, two sticker sets, plus an extra face paint and hair style option for the hunter.

not this shitty practice again. Any info or pics on the hair style and face paint that's locked behind the pay wall?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously hope Capcom is antiquated enough that they don't implement lootboxes. Just plain old fashioned microtransactions please.

redcrayon

Seems very story heavy :/
Monster Hunter 4 had a good 80 hours of single player campaign in addition to the online, some of which was some nice ecological touches of seeing each creature in their natural environment or the Hunter meeting each one for the first time. Of course they've put the beautiful cut scenes in the trailer, but in total they'll make up a minuscule portion even of the single player element, let alone the online.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder if they will do paid dlc or season passes. Hopefully not unless ofcourse the G/Ultimate version can be bought (upgrade) that way:p

Eolz

Monster Hunter 4 had a good 80 hours of single player campaign in addition to the online, some of which was some nice ecological touches of seeing each creature in their natural environment or the Hunter meeting each one for the first time. Of course they've put the beautiful cut scenes in the trailer, but in total they'll make up a minuscule portion even of the single player element, let alone the online.

This.
It's something to make the game more appealing, and that can work when done well (like MH4U). But it's also not a big part of the game, just of the marketing to give it a bigger appeal.

I wonder if they will do paid dlc or season passes. Hopefully not unless ofcourse the G/Ultimate version can be bought (upgrade) that way:p

I really wouldn't be surprised.
That said, they've also confirmed the classic free DLC, as well as some free events.

xviper

finally they showed more bosses other than that T-Rex and that yellow lizard

MH is always fucking amazing, and now it's on PS4, no more handheld bullshit, cannot wait

Playsage

The 'World' part is putting me off. This isn't some online game, right?
Monster Hunter has always been a series that heavily encourages multiplayer, though...

While World makes jumping in multiplayer much faster and easier (no more singleplayer-only mission and the possibility to call for help during the hunt), It may be the best solo experience in the series thanks for the new focus on story

Xane

Monster Hunter has always been a series that heavily encourages multiplayer, though...

While World makes jumping in multiplayer much faster and easier (no more singleplayer-only mission and the possibility to call for help during the hunt), It may be the best solo experience in the series thanks for the new focus on story

This has me worried for the new people jumping in the PC version as it will inevitably be filled with hackers. Never before was it this easy to hack MonHun, so expect it to be similar how it is on Dark Souls PC.

This won't impact me at all since I'm strictly playing with friends only.

pronk420

Those new monsters look amazing, when will people start to get hands on with it at TGS? Hopefully they will get to play something new and not just stupid lizard and t-rex.

Man, so much color and variety! Thankfully the monster designs are looking fantastic, I was getting a little worried about how muted some parts of the game looked, but this is greaaaat! :D

Mupod

MatureRepentantHyrax.gif

hrWINab.jpg

finally they showed more bosses other than that T-Rex and that yellow lizard

MH is always fucking amazing, and now it's on PS4, no more handheld bullshit, cannot wait
We saw new monsters at Gamescom. And in the last trailer they put out that showed the chameleon wyvern and the rock throwing raptor.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
This has me worried for the new people jumping in the PC version as it will inevitably be filled with hackers. Never before was it this easy to hack MonHun, so expect it to be similar how it is on Dark Souls PC.

This won't impact me at all since I'm strictly playing with friends only.
You have to live with the consequence of gaming on an open plataform and this is an issue that can potentially plague any PC game.

Do you know what's the best feature of Monster Hunter World on PS4 for me? Not having to deal with all of those hackers that ran around on the PSP and 3DS games. No longer will I have stop and question a player's gear because it was extremely infuriating having to open up Athena's A.S.S to check if a player's gear set was legit every time I ran into a player that seemed to good on the set of skills he had.

Now I can simply Hunt without worry because hacking on PS4 isn't possible at the moment.

Mupod

Tri's plodding hours of gathering mushrooms and cooking meat are okay but a story with effort put into it is offensive. Yeah, sure.

The "story" is going to be complete shit. Please bookmark this post, save me the trouble of telling you "told you so" whenever this comes out:

Told you so!

Oh please. I'm curious what you'd expect a 'good' story for an MH game to be.

It'll be the same old 'monster threatens, beat it up, oh shit there's an even bigger monster'. And that's fine, MH should stay simple and lighthearted.

NEO0MJ

Hope there's less grind in this game. That was a problem for me in the previous entries I played.
And PC is not releasing at the same time as consoles? Lame.

Defuser

Hope there's less grind in this game. That was a problem for me in the previous entries I played.
Then it's gonna be a problem you even now. Capcom isn't gonna let you get your rubies and plates so easily.

Pila

Do you know what's the best feature of Monster Hunter World on PS4 for me? Not having to deal with all of those hackers that ran around on the PSP and 3DS games. No longer will I have stop and question a player's gear because it was extremely infuriating having to open up Athena's A.S.S to check if a player's gear set was legit every time I ran into a player that seemed to good on the set of skills he had.

Same. When a new MH is coming out I'm always "this time I'm gonna make me some buddies and we'll play together and it'll be cool" but it's hard, it takes too much time, I always end up playing with randoms. Fuck hackers everywhere on the 3DS, I kicked them like a football when I could tell they were fishy.

I dont get the grind argument

Dont set yourself up for "having to get everything"

The game has so many tools and strats at your disposal not to mention being able to hunt in groups of 4

Top end gear isnt a hard requirement if you develop skill/strategy to get around whatever your weak link is

Mupod

Same. When a new MH is coming out I'm always "this time I'm gonna make me some buddies and we'll play together and it'll be cool" but it's hard, it takes too much time, I always end up playing with randoms. Fuck hackers everywhere on the 3DS, I kicked them like a football when I could tell they were fishy.

16 player lobbies will make playing with GAF extremely easy, though. In 3U we had a specific server that we hung out in and you could almost always find a group. And that was far clunkier than just joining a big lobby and posting up a quest.

NEO0MJ

I dont get the grind argument

Dont set yourself up for "having to get everything"

The game has so many tools and strats at your disposal not to mention being able to hunt in groups of 4

Top end gear isnt a hard requirement if you develop skill/strategy to get around whatever your weak link is

I was fighting one of those new monsters in X and even after half an hour and burning through just about all my supplies it was still standing. Left me feeling sour and unwilling to continue playing. Maybe I should have played with other people but by the time I got the game the OT was mostly dead and none of my friends have a 3DS.

And getting new armor felt really difficult in general, not just collecting everything.

Doorman

Looks really good, I dig nearly all the new monster designs.

Yes, I'm still admittedly a little salty at the lack of XX localization and the rise of (admittedly optional) damage numbers on the UI, but if this all looks ace I won't hold that against World. I don't expect the story to be particularly great but some sense of setting is welcome and at least there's some backdrop to help ease people into the hunting loop.

Comes out two days before my birthday, too. Ugh it's time to invest in better internet already!

I was fighting one of those new monsters in X and even after half an hour and burning through just about all my supplies it was still standing. Left me feeling sour and unwilling to continue playing. Maybe I should have played with other people but by the time I got the game the OT was mostly dead and none of my friends have a 3DS.

And getting new armor felt really difficult in general, not just collecting everything.

We will have to see how MHW handles it

It seems more accessible on average than XX from what I have seen so far

Pila

16 player lobbies will make playing with GAF extremely easy, though. In 3U we had a specific server that we hung out in and you could almost always find a group. And that was far clunkier than just joining a big lobby and posting up a quest.

Yeah, I have good memories of GAF rooms and I hope I'll be able to do it again. I'm a mess though XD I don't know when I'm working late and when I don't, hard to schedule. Sometimes I go full nerd and I keep up with GAF, sometimes I can't and you guys kill endgame monsters with closed eyes while I'm still picking mushrooms. XD

We'll see, work is a big question mark for me in 2018 so who knows. /OT

We will have to see how MHW handles it

It seems more accessible on average than XX from what I have seen so far

I didn't play XX but if the game is more accessible than Generations in terms of difficulty that's questionable imo. It certainly more streamlined compared to Generations bullshit mess of systems.

Preach. I don't think anyone really expects it to be of any insane quality either, but given the hardware this new game is on, it looks to be a natural progression of the sorts of cutscenes we had in MH4.

Ridley327

Looks like a cross between Narga and Kecha to me.

Honestly outside of the puff bat and Kulu Ya Ku the other new monsters seem to be a bit too similar to old monsters.

Yeah, that been my biggest gripe. Anjanath has done zero for me, because I look at him and see a really weak Deviljho, which just makes me want Deviljho instead. The serpent wolf they introduced in this trailer seems fine, but even there, I see the Kecha Wacha inspiration with its glide attacks.

I didn't play XX but if the game is more accessible than Generations in terms of difficulty that's questionable imo. It certainly more streamlined compared to Generations bullshit mess of systems.

Accessible is one of those words i need to be careful of using when it comes to gaming discussions since it means so many different things to different people

Let me just say MHW looks more refined and solid overall. Its looks to be a true evolution of the franchise for its 5th generation

Raide

Preach. I don't think anyone really expects it to be of any insane quality either, but given the hardware this new game is on, it looks to be a natural progression of the sorts of cutscenes we had in MH4.

Less rendered footage is a big boost when it's on home consoles. Also, having way more detailed facial animations really pushed it beyond what the handhelds do. They have always had nice but simplistic cutscenes, so it's nice to See something a bit more updated and fleshed out.

Accessible is one of those words i need to be careful of using when it comes to gaming discussions since it means so many different things to different people

Let me just say MHW looks more refined and solid overall. Its looks to be a true evolution of the franchise for its 5th generation

I mean I get what you are saying. But lets just say you are talking to someone who has played the last 4 entries. If the game is easier than Gen I think that's a bad thing. Mainline team makes the harder games so I think it's a big step back if they go for something easier than the spinoff team.

That said game certainly looks like the right step forward for the franchise. And it looks like the streamlined a lot of the bullshit too.

I mean I get what you are saying. But lets just say you are talking to someone who has played the last 4 entries. If the game is easier than Gen I think that's a bad thing. Mainline team makes the harder games so I think it's a big step back if they go for something easier than the spinoff team.

That said game certainly looks like the right step forward for the franchise. And it looks like the streamlined a lot of the bullshit too.
Accessibility is not difficulty.

I hear ya

And difficulty has been a constant debate for the series for awhile now.

With each generation the game gets better and some things get easier or harder

So i have no idea where the sliding scale ends up on MHW but i have to imagine the hardest challenges will be at the endgame as usual

though at least there are a ton of new monsters so at the very least youll have to learn a few new tricks along the way

Top Bottom