• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Cheeto said:
To each their own. No problem with that, I just prefer the relaxed riding style and the big motors.

I recently got the chance to ride a 1340cc '82 Harley though and it was fucking terrible. Turning felt more like falling over than anything else. Perhaps if you stick to the straights. The rules that apply to American cars apply to their motorcycles as well, just absolute shit handling. A construction or design that might work for the bike in some way is just never even considered it seems. Sure they have an awesome style sometimes, chopped, matte black, fat tire, simple handlebar, but in terms of technology it's worlds apart.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, riding it didn't really feel 'relaxed' to me. It was more like 'holy shit this thing is going to fucking kill me'. Awesome noise though.

Flo_Evans said:
I love it. It's not as fast on the road but it's fun just running over shit instead of weaving around potholes. Jumping little hills and getting off the beaten path is a ton of fun. I really want to get the new 848 for my street demon but I am going to have to wait until after I buy a house, then the old lady will probably want to pop out some kids or some shit. I might just get a nice 2up cruiser with a sidecar so the whole family can go! :D

Yeah those kids 'll get ya.

How much does that 848 go for in the states anyway?

Flo_Evans

I can't say that I have ridden many hogs or choppers, but I have ridden a fair amount of liter+ touring bikes and I much prefer the smaller more nimble sport bikes. Maybe if I was going cross country.

I don't mind the harley dudes (unless I get stuck behind a train of 20 of them all going 5mph under the limit!) They seem to be more into the scenery and the group and hanging out. I like to ride solo or with one or 2 good friends.

How much does that 848 go for in the states anyway?

Last time I was at the Ducati dealer $12k and some change. Haven't seen any used ones around here but they are bound to pop up sometime. I could probably justify it if it was my only bike but geez I might just get a yamaha R6 for el' cheapo... I've seen nice used ones go for like $5k here. That is allot of bike for $5k O_O

Fuck two-wheel's!!! 3 wheelers Lets Go
!!!
elmo-tricycle.jpg

Yeah, a lot of that 12k goes into the brand I guess. And It's 15 over here, in Euros no less.

The R6 has an equal amount of power, 130 versus 124 with the 848. And I've always liked the way they scream their fucking lungs out (the jap 4's).

Seth C

SpeedRazor said:
I'm picking up a Yamaha Vino 125 later tonight after I get off work. Pretty excited to get it. The payment on the bike itself is less than I spend on gas every month on my car. I'll take pictures once I get it.

Please do post all your impressions about this. I'm considering picking one up at the end of the summer myself, and would like to hear what you have to say.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How do I buy a Scooter?

For a car, I go to Cars Direct, get a competitive price, use that to barter down. For a Scooter, my experience is that I find the MSRP, go to the store, then they laugh and point while a salesman pantses me, then they add on about $700.

How do I buy a Scooter?

beanoboy7

Ashhong said:
just got my license recently, getting a new ninja 250r :D might wait to see if they bring out new colors for 09..

Get the 500R. Trust ME I had the 500R as my 1st bike and couldn't imagine getting anything smaller. BTW....get it used and sell it the following year, that bike has great resell value

btw...here's my new bike. '08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

DSC02403.jpg

Unit851

WickedAngel said:
The 2008 250R has better gas mileage than any supersport and is designed to look like its older brothers.

Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-1.jpg

Replace the exhaust with an aftermarket solution (Something like a Yoshimura) to get a better exhaust note and increased performance.

For years, we begged for this from Kawasaki. They clung to the archaic, mid-80's design for the old 250R right up until 2007. This is the ultimate starter in terms of sport bikes.

when I first saw this bike I would have never guessed it's only a 250cc bike. I will definitely be buying this as my first bike next year, then move onto a Suzuki Yellow GSX-R600

Fallout-NL said:
Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, riding it didn't really feel 'relaxed' to me. It was more like 'holy shit this thing is going to fucking kill me'. Awesome noise though.
:lol :lol

Flo_Evans

Stinkles said:
How do I buy a Scooter?

For a car, I go to Cars Direct, get a competitive price, use that to barter down. For a Scooter, my experience is that I find the MSRP, go to the store, then they laugh and point while a salesman pantses me, then they add on about $700.

How do I buy a Scooter?

It's going to be very hard to get a deal on a scooter. You will make up the bullshit dealer charges in no time with triple digit gas mileage though!

beanoboy7

Unit851 said:
when I first saw this bike I would have never guessed it's only a 250cc bike. I will definitely be buying this as my first bike next year, then move onto a Suzuki Yellow GSX-R600

That bike is so much smaller in person.....GET the 500R

beanoboy7 said:
That bike is so much smaller in person.....GET the 500R

...no, it isn't. It has almost the exact same dimensions as any of the bikes in the 600cc class of sport bikes.

On top of that, the 500R is an antiquated design with equally antiquated components.

2008 R6

Length: 80.3in
Width: 27.6in
Height: 43.3in
Seat Height: 33.5in
Wheelbase: 54.3in
Weight: 366lbs

2008 250R

Length: 81.8in
Width: 27.9in
Height: 43.8in
Seat Height: 30.7in
Wheelbase: 54.7in
Dry Weight: 332.8lbs

Seth C

For some reason I am seriously considering getting something like a Vino 125 for cruising around town in (plus the ~100mpg) and then something more like the Ninja 250R that would let me actually get on the highways. Then I'd save a ton in the city (where I do most of my driving) and still double my mileage when I have to travel.

Flo_Evans

Seth C said:
For some reason I am seriously considering getting something like a Vino 125 for cruising around town in (plus the ~100mpg) and then something more like the Ninja 250R that would let me actually get on the highways. Then I'd save a ton in the city (where I do most of my driving) and still double my mileage when I have to travel.

You can get on the highway (in short bursts) with a 125 scooter. It will be scary as hell and you will basically be invisible to other drivers, but as a general rule whenever riding a bike or scooter you should just assume that other cars do not see you.

When you say travel how far are you talking? A 250R will do it but if you are going more than 100 miles I would consider a sport tourer for a traveling bike. On a good weekend I will clock 300 miles but most of that is on windy roads with a posted limit of 45mph. Even on my monster 750 and my BMW G650 I avoid the highway if at all possible. On smaller light bikes the wind is a serious force to be reckoned with. I have literally been blown into another lane on the highway from a good strong gust! :lol

Cheeto

Fallout-NL said:
I recently got the chance to ride a 1340cc '82 Harley though and it was fucking terrible. Turning felt more like falling over than anything else. Perhaps if you stick to the straights. The rules that apply to American cars apply to their motorcycles as well, just absolute shit handling. A construction or design that might work for the bike in some way is just never even considered it seems. Sure they have an awesome style sometimes, chopped, matte black, fat tire, simple handlebar, but in terms of technology it's worlds apart.

Was it hard or soft tail frame?

Nester

Seth C said:
Please do post all your impressions about this. I'm considering picking one up at the end of the summer myself, and would like to hear what you have to say.

I didn't end up getting out there last night as it was storming out all evening. They close before I get off work tonight so I may need to wait until Monday to go pick it up. I'll let you know as soon as I get it though. The wait is killing me!

Flo_Evans

gcubed

42270.gif

I ride that to work almost every day. I dont ahve any pics of mine here at work though, made a few changes to fit my size (6'8") so it looks slightly different.

Flo_Evans said:
You can get on the highway (in short bursts) with a 125 scooter. It will be scary as hell and you will basically be invisible to other drivers, but as a general rule whenever riding a bike or scooter you should just assume that other cars do not see you.

When you say travel how far are you talking? A 250R will do it but if you are going more than 100 miles I would consider a sport tourer for a traveling bike. On a good weekend I will clock 300 miles but most of that is on windy roads with a posted limit of 45mph. Even on my monster 750 and my BMW G650 I avoid the highway if at all possible. On smaller light bikes the wind is a serious force to be reckoned with. I have literally been blown into another lane on the highway from a good strong gust! :lol

I'm not sure about other sport-touring bikes but I can vouch for the Kawasaki ZX6E (Now known as the ZZR-600). Put a Corbin seat on there and you can ride that damned thing forever...it's the most comfortable bike I've ever been on.

Husker86

Flo_Evans said:
Has anyone here ever ridden the "Tail of the Dragon" at deals gap?

I've always wanted to head up there. Unfortunately I hear that as of late it's flooded with cops/troopers. It would probably still be a enoyable ride to just cruise through it but hitting the turns hard isn't as easy as it once was.

Again, this is just what I've read on the internet, I'm in Nebraska so I've never had a chance to head there myself. If it's as restricted as I've been reading I don't think I'd waste time making the trip though.

gcubed

Flo_Evans said:
Has anyone here ever ridden the "Tail of the Dragon" at deals gap?

I want to go so bad... :D

i did it in a car 5/6 years ago before i started riding. Hadnt had a chance to go back

Flo_Evans

Husker86 said:
I've always wanted to head up there. Unfortunately I hear that as of late it's flooded with cops/troopers. It would probably still be a enoyable ride to just cruise through it but hitting the turns hard isn't as easy as it once was.

Again, this is just what I've read on the internet, I'm in Nebraska so I've never had a chance to head there myself. If it's as restricted as I've been reading I don't think I'd waste time making the trip though.

Supposedly they have relaxed it abit. But yeah I have heard the cops are insane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtykNMs6l6E 1 cop per mile! OMFG.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Been riding for years. Own a Ducati 749S.

:lol at the idiot saying "I bought a 600cc supersport to start small." Right. I bet you can't ride for shit.

I hope the gas crisis causes people to ride motorcycles more, though. But ride proper bikes and not supersports. Supersports are for pleasure and not to save money because you won't end up saving. If anything, you'll spend more.

Flo_Evans

Not quite as cool as the dragon but here are two of my favorite roads if you live around st. louis.

160x0ex.jpg

This is my favorite 'quick' getaway. About 30 minutes out of town I usually cross the river and come back the other side but Agusta is where the winerys are and there are tons of drunks out on the road. Also a huge harley meetup spot in "Defiance" of all places!

jq6wt4.jpg

This is a better area but a little farther out. Lots of fire roads, jeep trails, and open areas for the dual sport. And the highway is not bad either!

Wow, great thread. I just wanted to bump it to ask for a little more advice for a prospective new rider. I read some reviews for the 2008 Ninja 250 and it definitely looks like an awesome bike for someone like me (absolute beginner). $3500 and ~50-60 MPG!

In general how much do those MSF courses run? I didn't see pricing on the website. I am a little scared about being a new rider and definitely want to be fully prepared. I'm also a little nervous about walking in to a dealer and buying a bike with zero experience riding one--how do you remedy that? Do I just need to find a bike somewhere to learn?

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
Wow, great thread. I just wanted to bump it to ask for a little more advice for a prospective new rider. I read some reviews for the 2008 Ninja 250 and it definitely looks like an awesome bike for someone like me (absolute beginner). $3500 and ~50-60 MPG!

In general how much do those MSF courses run? I didn't see pricing on the website. I am a little scared about being a new rider and definitely want to be fully prepared. I'm also a little nervous about walking in to a dealer and buying a bike with zero experience riding one--how do you remedy that? Do I just need to find a bike somewhere to learn?

MSF is around $300 for a 15 hour course, may vary in your area. They give you a bike to use during the course, so you will not be dropping your new shiny toy.

Depending on your area though there may be a wait to get in the course. Best bet is to call and ask. I called and in St. Louis they are booked till OCTOBER! Might be to late if you want to get on the road this year.

You can try and find a friend with experience that is willing to teach you, but personally I don't like to teach n00bs. There is just too much liability and having seen n00b riders go down in my group it can really spoil your day. :(

I should also add, do not forget to budget for safety gear. A full getup can be pretty expensive if you don't already have anything.

Flo_Evans said:
MSF is around $300 for a 15 hour course, may vary in your area. They give you a bike to use during the course, so you will not be dropping your new shiny toy.

Depending on your area though there may be a wait to get in the course. Best bet is to call and ask. I called and in St. Louis they are booked till OCTOBER! Might be to late if you want to get on the road this year.

You can try and find a friend with experience that is willing to teach you, but personally I don't like to teach n00bs. There is just too much liability and having seen n00b riders go down in my group it can really spoil your day. :(

I should also add, do not forget to budget for safety gear. A full getup can be pretty expensive if you don't already have anything.

Thanks for the info. I just checked out sites around my area and it looks like the BRC in SoCal is only going to run ~$250. Seems like a hell of a deal--especially considering I might get an insurance discount and I'll be less likely to kill myself.

I'm already assuming it's ~$300 for a helmet. What else is needed? Jacket and pants or something?

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks for the info. I just checked out sites around my area and it looks like the BRC in SoCal is only going to run ~$250. Seems like a hell of a deal--especially considering I might get an insurance discount and I'll be less likely to kill myself.

I'm already assuming it's ~$300 for a helmet. What else is needed? Jacket and pants or something?

Some states you can skip the licence endorsement test after completing MSF too.

$300 will get you a real nice helmet. $150-$200 should be fine, but your head is the most important thing so I would buy the best you can.

Gloves are the 2nd most important thing IMHO as your hands will naturally touch down 1st in a fall and concrete does a marvelous job of ripping skin off hands. Good gloves will also allow you to ride longer (your hands will go numb from vibration) and protect your knuckles from rocks and shit that REALLY hurts when it hits you at 60mph++

Boots. I admit sometimes I commute in tennis shoes but a good pair of high boots will protect you from breaking an ankle, shearing off a few toes, and again rocks.

Jacket is a must. You will be hot at stoplights but once moving it is not a big deal.

Pants are the same.

If you do plan on going hardcore a rainsuit is a very very nice thing to have. I usually will leave the bike in the garage if it's raining but sometimes you get caught in a storm. You can safely ride a bike in the rain, but it is not much fun if you are cold and wet.

For a beginner I would not recommend riding in the rain as you will have enough to deal with without the reduced visibility and MUCH lower traction. At some point though you should at least try it so when you do get caught in it you can make it home.

At MINIMUM I would budget $1000 just for safety gear.

Nester

Flo_Evans said:
If you do plan on going hardcore a rainsuit is a very very nice thing to have. I usually will leave the bike in the garage if it's raining but sometimes you get caught in a storm. You can safely ride a bike in the rain, but it is not much fun if you are cold and wet.

For a beginner I would not recommend riding in the rain as you will have enough to deal with without the reduced visibility and MUCH lower traction. At some point though you should at least try it so when you do get caught in it you can make it home.

It's storming today in Minnesota and I drove my new Scooter into work.

This is going to be a fun first time ride in the rain to get home. At least I have a Rain poncho to wear over my gear. :(

Seth C

SpeedRazor said:

This is going to be a fun first time ride in the rain to get home. At least I have a Rain poncho to wear over my gear. :(

So you got the Vino then? Do tell me all about it, please.

Flo_Evans

SpeedRazor said:

Just remember to give yourself extra room. It is harder for you to see and for other cars to see you. On a scoot, acceleration is not that bad in the rain as you don't have much power. Braking is the hard part. Esp. on oily roads. Just give yourself plenty of time to stop and if you lock up the brakes don't panic. Ease off and re-apply.

Nester

Seth C said:
So you got the Vino then? Do tell me all about it, please.

Love it Love it Love it. Absolutely perfect for driving around town, gets excellent gas mileage and girls love to roll down their windows at stop lights and compliment me on the bike. :)

I had to hit a couple 55mph highways on the way home from the dealership and it had no problem getting up there after a bit. From what I hear it should be no problem going 60+ past the break in period, though I won't be going on freeways often enough if ever to find out. Any specific questions, just let me know.

Flo_Evans

Got a few new toys!

352kneq.jpg

Sears Bike/ATV lift. Fucking great! So useful for oil changes, tire swaps, chain maintenance, everything!

2821iqv.jpg

Backpack. Pretty self explanatory.

s2s2zd.jpg

Wolfman tank bag. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/ Highly recommended, top quality and made to oder for your specific bike. Map at a glance, handy storage for your camera, water, sandwich or whatever!

Flo_Evans said:
Got a few new toys!

352kneq.jpg

Sears Bike/ATV lift. Fucking great! So useful for oil changes, tire swaps, chain maintenance, everything!

Holy shit! I didn't even know a tool like that existed! That is mine tomorrow.

Nester

Flo_Evans said:
Just remember to give yourself extra room. It is harder for you to see and for other cars to see you. On a scoot, acceleration is not that bad in the rain as you don't have much power. Braking is the hard part. Esp. on oily roads. Just give yourself plenty of time to stop and if you lock up the brakes don't panic. Ease off and re-apply.

Just got home. That wasn't so bad. I actually didn't mind it so much that I decided to run a quick errand that took me a little off course to going home. If I got a rain suit I might actually just ride in it no matter the weather.

Flo_Evans

WickedAngel said:
Holy shit! I didn't even know a tool like that existed! That is mine tomorrow.

You can also just get a center stand for the bike that will let you at least get the back tire off the ground anywhere, but yeah I can't believe I never got this earlier.

You can also get wheel lifts for pretty cheap.

pro_red_rea_ill.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
You can also just get a center stand for the bike that will let you at least get the back tire off the ground anywhere, but yeah I can't believe I never got this earlier.

You can also get wheel lifts for pretty cheap.

pro_red_rea_ill.jpg

I knew about those already. I wasn't aware that there was a lift that could pick up the entire motorcycle like that.

Did you take the lower fairings off of that bike or were there none to begin with?

Flo_Evans

WickedAngel said:
I knew about those already. I wasn't aware that there was a lift that could pick up the entire motorcycle like that.

Did you take the lower fairings off of that bike or were there none to begin with?

There are none to begin with. Just an aluminum bash plate. :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'm seriously thinking about getting into riding, my life is reaching a kinda malaise and i feel like owning a bike could be a real counter.

so here's the first question, how do i not kill myself very quickly?

I don't plan on doing anything retarded, or being an immediate little road demon, but i just find it really hard to believe that riding a freaking engine on wheels isn't going to precipitate my untimely death.

second question, does it ever lose it's buzz?

i remember driving for the first time and thinking this is wtf awesome as i crawled around the neighborhood in second gear. it didn't take atall long for that to wear off. does riding just become a chore like everything else after a while?

third question, what is the best way to begin?

i'm uk-side here so take that into account, what do i begin on, a 125? - what do i have to get to preceed this, or can i just go buy one and take it for a spin (leading my back to my first question).

fourth question, is it okay that i really want some kinda chopper/cruiser?

even though everyone here seems to be all about sport bikes, i've still got my retarded harley ambitions, and i'd like to begin on something that has a similar riding setup. is this okay for someone whose never ridden anything other than a 21-speed?

Flo_Evans

ghst said:
i'm seriously thinking about getting into riding, my life is reaching a kinda malaise and i feel like owning a bike could be a real counter.

so here's the first question, how do i not kill myself very quickly?

I don't plan on doing anything retarded, or being an immediate little road demon, but i just find it really hard to believe that riding a freaking engine on wheels isn't going to precipitate my untimely death.

second question, does it ever lose it's buzz?

i remember driving for the first time and thinking this is wtf awesome as i crawled around the neighborhood in second gear. it didn't take atall long for that to wear off. does riding just become a chore like everything else after a while?

third question, what is the best way to begin?

i'm uk-side here so take that into account, what do i begin on, a 125? - what do i have to get to preceed this, or can i just go buy one and take it for a spin (leading my back to my first question).

fourth question, is it okay that i really want some kinda chopper/cruiser?

even though everyone here seems to be all about sport bikes, i've still got my retarded harley ambitions, and i'd like to begin on something that has a similar riding setup. is this okay for someone whose never ridden anything other than a 21-speed?

1st it is a bit weird that you are from the UK and want a Harley... at least get a Triumph cruiser! A (small) cruiser is probably a bit easier to learn on that a high strung sport bike. My first real riding experience was on a friends honda rebel 250. Allot of people say to start on a dirt bike. Dirt is much softer to fall on and you don't have to worry about traffic. Plus when you learn to ride on a loose surface you really, really must be aware of the bikes dynamics under you. If you can ride dirt well the street is no problem. Your biggest concern is other cars.

I am not exactly sure about UK motorcycle licensing, I do know that its tiered and you have to start on a smaller bike and work your way up. I assume they have courses similar to our MSF. Perhaps some UK riders can elaborate on this.

As for losing its buzz. No. :D

Most of the time people quit riding is because of fear (or severe injury or fatality...) I have found nothing better to feed the adrenaline junkie than motorcycling. Driving a car feels like a chore after a day on the bike and I love driving cars.

I have never sky dived though (yet) :p

Top Bottom