• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miketendo64: The Price Devs & Publishers Pay for Physical (Switch, Wii U, 3DS & Wii)

Shiggy

Miketendo64.com published the prices publishers need to pay for physical discs/cards on Nintendo systems. The minimum order quantities are per region (if it's 3000 copies, then you cannot use 1500 copies in Europe and 1500 copies in North America).

Wii:

Bulk Pricing of Single Layer Discs per each Disc:
Wholesale Price: $0 to $23.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $5.50
Wholesale Price: $24.00 to $39.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $7.50
Wholesale Price: $40.00 and up – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $9.00

Bulk Pricing of Dual Layer Discs per each Disc:
Wholesale Price: $0 to $23.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $6.00
Wholesale Price: $24.00 to $39.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $8.00
Wholesale Price: $40.00 and up – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $9.50

Game Disc Minimum Order Quantities:
Initial Order Minimum: 3,000 (quantity divisible by 600)
Reorder Minimum: 1,200 (quantity divisible by 600)

Bulk Pricing of Single Layer Demo Discs per each Disc:
Licensee Cost of Goods: $2.50 per disc (bulk discs only)
Order Quantity: Maximum order quantity of 3,600 pcs.
Demo Disc Payment Terms: A payment of wire transfer for the amount of goods plus the $450.00 initial stamper fee must be paid at the time of ordering.

3DS:
Memory Configuration: 128MB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $7.10
Memory Configuration: 128MB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $7.60
Memory Configuration: 256MB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $8.10
Memory Configuration: 256MB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $8.60
Memory Configuration: 512MB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $9.10
Memory Configuration: 512MB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $9.60
Memory Configuration: 1GB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $10.10
Memory Configuration: 1GB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $10.60
Memory Configuration: 2GB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $11.10
Memory Configuration: 2GB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $11.60
Memory Configuration: 4GB + 128KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $13.10
Memory Configuration: 4GB + 512KB Flash ROM – Licensee Bulk Price: $13.60
Bulk Goods: Packed 1,200 cards per carton.

Finished Goods: Unit price is $0.90 more than the bulk goods price. Price includes game card, title sheet, instruction manual, warranty card, plastic case and poster. There are 48 game paks per carton.

Initial Order Minimum: 6,000 pcs. bulk and finished goods.
Minimum Re-order Quantity: 1,200 pcs. bulk and finished goods.

Wii U:
Bulk Pricing of Single Layer Bulk Discs per each Disc:
Certified Wholesale Price: $0 to $23.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $6.50
Certified Wholesale Price: $24.00 to $31.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $7.00
Certified Wholesale Price: $32.00 to $39.99 – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $8.00
Certified Wholesale Price: $40.00 and up – Licensee Cost – Bulk Discs: $9.00

Game Disc Minimum Order Quantities:
Initial Order Minimum: 6,000 (quantity over the order minimum must be divisible by 600)
Reorder Minimum: 1,200 (quantity over the order minimum must be divisible by 600)

Amiibo:
- submit a proposal to Nintendo showing the design, function, and marketing strategy as well as who will manufacture the amiibo
- initial minimum purchase of 100,000 NFC tags before manufacturing ($0.30 each)

For Switch they sadly didn't publish the price depending on card size.
Switch:
Price: $8 (in this case being both the cartridge and the box excluding licensing)
32GB card: more than $16
Minimum number: 6,000

Sources:
https://miketendo64.com/2017/05/13/...ishers-pay-for-physical-switch-wii-u-3ds-wii/
https://miketendo64.com/2017/05/11/editorial-what-you-dont-know-about-amiibo/?frame-nonce=504eef0c64

Thanks to Fiendcode.

Oregano

RMC from Gonintendo said that he'd been told the Switch figure was not accurate but the person who told him that implied the rest were.

Ninja Dom

This is the stuff that is usually covered in NDA's.

Still, the knowing the prices Nintendo charge makes no difference to us. We have no idea of the specific budgets of individual games.

1morerobot

Does Nintendo print the disc, inserts, box, packaging etc? I've never really known how this works.

Basically does the publisher receive the finished product in box and ready to ship to retailers from Nintendo?

I've got some Amiibo but don't have the games related to them. I just like the figures.

I don't need any convincing on buying amiibo, I must have near a hundred of the darn things.

It just sounds like 100k amiibo is an awful lot for a third party to sell. No wonder there haven't been any third party amiibo released so far other than shovel knight (beyond the smash ones obviously, but those are made by Nintendo, I assume)

Shiggy

Does Nintendo print the disc, inserts, box, packaging etc? I've never really known how this works.

Basically does the publisher receive the finished product in box and ready to ship to retailers from Nintendo?

For 3DS it looks as if publishers can opt for Nintendo to do that job:
Finished Goods: Unit price is $0.90 more than the bulk goods price. Price includes game card, title sheet, instruction manual, warranty card, plastic case and poster. There are 48 game paks per carton.

On Switch, I believe Nintendo is doing that in any case. That's why the game cases always mention that NCL is the manufacturer and that publisher X imported the title into the EU.

It just sounds like 100k amiibo is an awful lot for a third party to sell. No wonder there haven't been any third party amiibo released so far other than shovel knight (beyond the smash ones obviously, but those are made by Nintendo, I assume)

I think Activision made some for Skylanders and Capcom for Monster Hunter.

Nightbird

I don't need any convincing on buying amiibo, I must have near a hundred of the darn things.

Which is probably why there aren't a lot of third party amiibos

So basically the info we wanted to know, about the Switch, isn't delved into in depth -_-

Also, maybe i'm mistaken, but requiring 100k NFC tags doesn't mean that's the minimum number of amiibo you need to manufacture, does it? The tags can (presumably) be reprogrammed so you can have multiple amiibo lines using the same batch of chips

Shiggy

I would assume that it's a much more intensive manufacturing process that would require dedicated facilities.

The article claims that publishers need to find their own manufacturing partner; Nintendo needs to approve that partner though.

Minimum order of 100k amiibo? Am I reading that correctly?

That's ridiculous, when they only require thousands of a game.

You can sell digital copies of games not Amiibo.

Also a huge criticism of Amiibo is availability. How I infuriating would it be to have only 5,000 of an Amiibo made?

Fiendcode

It's only for cheap nfc tags though, and it doesn't necessarily mean making 100k figures. I doubt Yacht Club, Capcom or Activision produced 100k per amiibo figure they made.

-shadow-

Do we have any details about either Sony or Microsoft? I'm curious how it compares to those two. Honestly I find it to be less than I originally thought it would be, or at least for the Switch compared to the 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do we have any details about either Sony or Microsoft? I'm curious how it compares to those two. Honestly I find it to be less than I originally thought it would be, or at least for the Switch compared to the 3DS.

Switch cards are slightly pricer than the 3ds ones, as a starting base, but the "issue" was about the comparison betweeen discs and cartiridges
an issue always sounded silly to me, exactly because of usual cost of cartridges for portable consoles

Well, there it is. Blame Nintendo for "Switch tax".

or what about reading and discovering how small the difference is with 3DS cartridges?
and still that infamous tax...applied to one game in one region so far (probably two when minecraft story will be released)

Ridley327

It depends how the Bowser and DK Skylanders count.

Wouldn't they have to since they have an Amiibo tag toggle built into their base? Considering that either one was a mandatory purchase to get the game on any Nintendo system, they didn't face the same risk that, say, Capcom would with the Monster Hunter Stories line being sold separately.

Tagg9

The Switch cost accuracy seems flimsy as hell. Especially given the fact we only have the "base price". I don't believe this source for a minute.

Fiendcode

The article says PS4 is $5 per disc but that doesn't include packaging/other costs and is presumably for the lowest retail price tier. From LRG print runs we know the minimum order quantities are at least 2000 PS4 and 1500 Vita. LRG also said Vita cards could cost 2-3x PS4 discs in manufacturing.

Xbox One we don't know but presumably media costs are on par with PS4. Minimum orders are much higher though, rumored to be a whopping 50k units awhile back which is why we saw games like Shovel Knight dropping physical Xbox release.

Also worth noting that Nicalis said $4 per unit covered the costs of physical publishing for BOI Afterbirth+. Perhaps this $8 figure isn't for the absolute smallest card then.

Ridley327

100k NFC tags seems like a lot, but I would assume that covers the production of a potential figure for the entire world, as Amiibo figures are region free.

Based on the wording, it sounds as if that's per batch of amiibo, which doesn't have to be one specific figure (think how Nintendo releases in waves). However, that's still more than is reasonable for most companies. If I had to guess, I'd say it's to avoid flooding the market with meh amiibo, weakening the brand. Just my speculation though.

100k minimum for the 30 cent NFC tags. So if a publisher/dev was willing to eat the cost on 75k of the tags, they could make 25k at $1.20 each. This doesn't include other manufacturing costs, but seems to be the only up front cost Nintendo charges (I imagine they get cuts of the Amiibo sales).

Shiggy

The article says PS4 is $5 per disc but that doesn't include packaging/other costs and is presumably for the lowest retail price tier. From LRG print runs we know the minimum order quantities are at least 2000 PS4 and 1500 Vita. LRG also said Vita cards could cost 2-3x PS4 discs in manufacturing.

Xbox One we don't know but presumably media costs are on par with PS4. Minimum orders are much higher though, rumored to be a whopping 50k units awhile back which is why we saw games like Shovel Knight dropping physical Xbox release.

Also worth noting that Nicalis said $4 per unit covered the costs of physical publishing for BOI Afterbirth+. Perhaps this $8 figure isn't for the absolute smallest card then.

That doesn't sound very probable. Do you happen to have a link to that?

AniHawk

my understanding is that card-based platforms are all the same - priced mostly off size rather than price of the game, so there's something similar for vita. disc-based games are based off the price of the game, which would be like what you see on the wii u. no idea how microsoft does it, but i bet they do something similar.

Ridley327

my understanding is that card-based platforms are all the same - priced mostly off size rather than price of the game, so there's something similar for vita. disc-based games are based off the price of the game, which would be like what you see on the wii u. no idea how microsoft does it, but i bet they do something similar.

Is there for Vita? I was under the impression that Sony only ever made a flat 4GB card, regardless of how much space the game itself takes. Nintendo, of course, is well known for offering a variety of card sizes.

Zetta

Miketendo64.com published the prices publishers need to pay for physical discs/cards on Nintendo systems. The minimum order quantities are per region (if it's 3000 copies, then you cannot use 1500 copies in Europe and 1500 copies in North America).

itMcsy5.gif

Is it good or bad?

Yukinari

We need more amiibo cards instead of figures. As much as i like my shovel knight amiibo id love to get cards for like fire emblem characters or monster hunter.

AniHawk

Is there for Vita? I was under the impression that Sony only ever made a flat 4GB card, regardless of how much space the game itself takes. Nintendo, of course, is well known for offering a variety of card sizes.

not all vita games are 4 gigs so i don't know about that. might partly explain the lack of support the system got out of the west though.

Ridley327

We need more amiibo cards instead of figures. As much as i like my shovel knight amiibo id love to get cards for like fire emblem characters or monster hunter.

Is that Fire Emblem TCG in Japan Amiibo-powered? I know that the cards do something in both Fates and Echoes, though I don't know if that's because of NFC or because of a code printed out on them.

Any figures for PS4/X1? At first sight it doesn't seem justified that Switch games are more, but maybe all Nintendo's prices are high? Or maybe there is more to the Switch prices (size?)?

Edit: Just read the article. Seems like we are still missing some info.

21x2

There are lots of people seemingly shocked at the minimum order of 100k NPC chips for manufacturing amiibo.

Do you really think there is any reasonably well functioning publisher who isn't able to cover the manufacturing cost of 100 000 figures? The magnitude of money these companies regularly deals in are in hundreds of thousands of dollars. Shelling out for 100k figurines is nothing to a publisher with healthy finances.

The lack of third party amiibo most likely has more to do with the lack of third party support on Wii U. The 3DS has had some support, but it's rarely been with major brands, at least from western publishers.

AzaK

Fark! Someone is laughing all the way to the bank

The title of the post should really be "The price consumers are gouged when going digital"

The cards would still require the chips, they'd just be cheaper because they're printed cards, not manufactured figures

Clive

Comes from a tweet.

lU5pDch.png

They're not exactly wrong, it's just not full information or a 1:1 comparison to each other.

I think you are completely misinterpreting him. He is just justifying why the Switch version costs $40 to someone suggesting it is expensive. The game costs $36 if you buy the game ($15) plus expansions ($11+$10) on Steam. He wants to say that paying $4 more than that for a physical copy is fair, not that the cost of manufacturing is $4.

Top Bottom