• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adaren

That was some bullshit runway judging. No way
Kimora
should have been in the bottom over the plethora of generic, forgettable looks. "Safe" is certainly an apt word for what they were serving. Not gonna argue with that lipsync result, though.

I have to find a new queen to stan now...*sign*

Valentina
and
Trinity
shouldn't have been top 3. I guess the judges care way more about the sidekick characters than I do.

kirblar

That was some bullshit runway judging. No way
Kimora
should have been in the bottom over the plethora of generic, forgettable looks. "Safe" is certainly an apt word for what they were serving. Not gonna argue with that lipsync result, though.

I have to find a new queen to stan now...*sign*

Valentina
and
Trinity
shouldn't have been top 3. I guess the judges care way more about the sidekick characters than I do.
This was a stealth comedy challenge.

royalan

And I was surprised RU of all people threw shade at Kimora for getting emotional over not padding.

I mean, padding and prosthetics have become so commonplace in drag these days that queens in some circles DO get read for not padding. Remember when Courtney Act constantly got read in the blogs for not padding because her muscular body ruined her otherwise perfectly fishy illusion?

And if we're going to buy into the idea that drag is art AS WELL as an extension of your identity, I could completely understand Kimora being uncomfortable not being padded. Kimora is a body queen.

I still think she deserved to go home, but that was a shit criticism.

Adaren

That's two tear-jerker Untucked episodes in a row. I'm glad she got so many letters. Stealth Miss Congeniality.

Valentina=TALENT

I do worry her sickly sweet persona will become grating though.

I very much enjoyed seeing Cheyenne Jackson...
anyone remember his leaked vid nnn

B-Dex

1OV87ou.jpg

royalan

After watching Untucked...

Kimora - Such a ditz, but what a class act. Applause, gurl.

Aja - BYE. She's everything I hate about the NY drag scene. Girl, you're loud and awful and your drag is a fucking mess. You put on some chaps and really thought you were doing some groundbreaking shit, huh? Like, Kimora's overconfidence can be abrasive, but at least she CAN serve. Aja's drag is all photoshop. She can go next.

Eureka - I really hated her in the first episode, but I've been warming up to her. Somebody must have told her you can be sassy without attacking everyone. I also love how she paints her face. Very Classic Drag.

Valentina - It's hard to not see the obvious "Winner" edit she's getting, but I can't hate because so far she's serving. I'll agree with what Raja said in the last Photo Fashion Ruview episode though: she's needs to cut back on that creepy serial killer smile.

Nina - So far, this competition is between her and Valentina, but I think she needs to cut back on the paper props. The Georgia peach head was cute and fun, but the paper head made this look feel a little cheap. I think she would have looked better without it.

Alexis Michelle - Who? I'm sorry but gurl everything about her is boring. Still think she's the hottest out-of-drag though.

Sasha - Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Farrah - I'm surprised so many people thought she should have been lip-syncing. Yeah, her look was terrible, but at least she paid attention to the challenge and you can tell what she was going for. Oh, and she knows how to apply makeup to her face and properly glue on a lacefront. Apparently, that's a challenge for some.

Shea - starting to fade a bit for me.

Charlie Hides - REALLY surprised she wasn't in the top. Her sidekick was funny, and that DRESS? It almost looked like something Ru would wear. I'm surprised she's not getting more praise in general, actually. Other than her British maid look, she's been consistently good.

Peppermint - really stepped it up this episode.

Trinity - I mean, I guess.

Sydle

Okay, so after catching up on untucked I see Kimora is a sweetheart.

I also cringed at
Aja's
meltdown. Not going to be sorry to see her go.

I just met Katya and Ginger 😭

They both asked if my bf and I were together and then ginger said she'd watch it 😂

They were both so nice and so gorgeous. Katya was serving bedtime realness and Ginger had these knee high boots, I told her I'd let her step on me and she laughed

😂😭

Maledict

They both asked if my bf and I were together and then ginger said she'd watch it 😂

They were both so nice and so gorgeous. Katya was serving bedtime realness and Ginger had these knee high boots, I told her I'd let her step on me and she laughed

😂😭

I am so insanely jealous. Katya and Ginger are two of my most favourite queens of the entire show after Bianca.

PolishQ

😂😭

So Ginger's okay? I heard she collapsed at a recent gig.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Untucked definitely showed a different side to Kimora. I wasn't expecting that.

😂😭
I saw, slightly met, Katya at a bar, too. She's actually a bit shorter than I thought. For some reason, I imagined that she's like super tall.

Untucked definitely showed a different side to Kimora. I wasn't expecting that.

I saw, slightly met, Katya at a bar, too. She's actually a bit shorter than I thought. For some reason, I imagined that she's like super tall.
They were both sitting down so I didn't get a size comparison... but they were so nice and gorgeous.
So Ginger's okay? I heard she collapsed at a recent gig.
She seemed fine... she was really friendly and talkative and she hugged me. ;-;
I am so insanely jealous. Katya and Ginger are two of my most favourite queens of the entire show after Bianca.
I hope you get to meet them one day, they were so nice. Like I didn't expect anything like it, thinking that they'd be into it cus it's their job but a little bit over it just because they have to do it so often. But they seemed really genuine and friendly :)

Gradon

I've met Katya and Trixie on Valentine's Day, Trixie was unbelievably nice complementing my eyes and everything, holding my hand and giving me a hug.

Katya was very Katya and asked something along the lines of a weird question to everyone. From the top of my head mine was if I believed in predatory aliens.
Since it was Valentine's Day and I was with my boyfriend, Katya told me to go and get my pussy pounded. 😂

Ginger is always so lovely to fans, I hope she isn't seriously ill by what happened the other day. She's my boyfriends favourite queen, she's here with Katya next weekend too, but I didn't get any tickets.

If anyone cares here's a photo of myself with Katya and Trixie
12719358_1043849889010675_1810599497316871319_o.jpg

Awww, adorable :-D

But either there's something weird going on with the perspective in that photo, or those two have some comically extreme DiCaprio-esque coke bloat.

Yado

I've met Katya and Trixie on Valentine's Day, Trixie was unbelievably nice complementing my eyes and everything, holding my hand and giving me a hug.

Katya was very Katya and asked something along the lines of a weird question to everyone. From the top of my head mine was if I believed in predatory aliens.
Since it was Valentine's Day and I was with my boyfriend, Katya told me to go and get my pussy pounded. 😂

Ginger is always so lovely to fans, I hope she isn't seriously ill by what happened the other day. She's my boyfriends favourite queen, she's here with Katya next weekend too, but I didn't get any tickets.

If anyone cares here's a photo of myself with Katya and Trixie
12719358_1043849889010675_1810599497316871319_o.jpg

They look huge

Rayis

I wanna meet a Ru Girl D;

anyway, Kimora was a sweet heart in Untucked, she deserved to go but she was a class act throughout the whole thing.

Aja was rude and her make-up sucks and frankly wasn't really a fan of her so I wouldn't mind if she goes next

I think Eureka is probably one of the most polished big queens this show has ever had, she doesn't really annoy me so I'm partial to her.

Sasha is cute but generic, I'd SO kai-kai with her though.

Charlie is good but I'm meh about her, same with Trinity, I thought she was going to be one of the early exits but she's bringing it so far

Farrah is adorable, I just want to hug her, but girl, plz get more talent.

Alexis monopolizes conversations but I love the way she talks and her looks are unclockable.

Peppermint is good but expecting more from her.

Cynthia is Cynthia

Nina, Shea and Valentina are my favorite 3 queens so far.

Razmos

Eureka is growing on me very fast. She's funny and the things she says are always on point.

When she's not being loud and talky she seems pretty nice too, willing to help others out or give tips/constructive criticism.

I'd love to see her go quite far because she's not only entertaining but she pushes the other girls to be better too. She annoyed me a bit in the first episode, but I'm glad that has changed.

Valentina is seriously boring. While Aja's meltdown was a bit intense and bitter... it's what I was thinking lol.

At the show tonight the host asked people to scream for different queens who they think will win, and most people screamed for Valentina followed by Aja

Idk why anyone would think Aja is going to win though :lol

royalan

Honestly out of everyone I feel like the most likely top three would be Valentina, Aja and Shake A Leg.

#teamshea

My best friend thinks she's getting the Adore "Ru's Pet Project" edit. lol

I dunno yet. Aja's young, but she doesn't have the charisma or character that past Hot Mess gurls who made it far had.

I'm just not sure about Aja. I feel like she definitely gives her 100%, but I'm not sure her 100% is what the judges are looking for. Idk, it's a weird one. She's competent, but does she have that "it" thing?

By the way, Katya and Ginger were incredible tonight. Ginger sang a song live with her friend/assistant, lip synced to Hello by Adele, and one other number that was just like a medley of pop music. Katya opened with Read U Wrote u, but when it got to Roxxxy's verse the music just ended and she said she would spare us the final part fjekfjskxmmammdl

She then did The Same Parts (I was GAGGED), and finally Cover Girl.

They were both so good and looked so amazing, it was my first ever drag show and my first time in a gay club too. I really think drag is just about the most punk thing a guy can do.

Honestly in kinda liking Trinity way more than I expected.
Figured she just be a plastic meanie pageant queen but she's got some good looks and is willing to step outside of her comfort zone. I'd be pleased if she was in the top 5.

Monocle

Not a fan of that result at all.

Kimora's costume and character were the definition of safe. Uninspired but definitely not awful. How can Farrah cruise on through with one of the lowest effort outfits ever?

I can't disagree with Aja winning that lip sync, but I really wish she or Farrah had gone home. Kimora had more to offer than either of them.

Aja in particular is just really not doing it for me. She's rough around the edges. And that's because she's one giant rough patch.

After watching Untucked...

Kimora - Such a ditz, but what a class act. Applause, gurl.

Aja - BYE. She's everything I hate about the NY drag scene. Girl, you're loud and awful and your drag is a fucking mess. You put on some chaps and really thought you were doing some groundbreaking shit, huh? Like, Kimora's overconfidence can be abrasive, but at least she CAN serve. Aja's drag is all photoshop. She can go next.

<snip>
Sums it up for me.

I can't get over how bad Aja's makeup is. A lot of young queens I know here in Chicago do that same weird harsh makeup and it just looks so busted and unfinished. Buy a fucking beauty blender, you look like the lady gremlin from Gremlins 2.

I didn't like Kimora but I thought her exit and speech on Untucked were super cute.

I wasn't feeling Trinity initially but this episode made me respect her a lot, she's smart and driven. I can see how she's a big pageant winner, she doesn't fuck around.

Valentina is getting a top three edit already and it sort of seems like they're setting her up as a victim of bullying a la Jinkx, but you can't fuck with how polished she is, it's really impressive IMO. Also I'm living for the fact she's wearing a beret in her interviews. She's kooky!

I thought you guys might be interested, but a Brazilian drag queen just broke RuPaul's record for most watched video for an original song on YouTube. The record was for RuPaul's Sissy That Walk before this video.
Just catching up on this thread (and the show!) and had to chime in that this song still has a long way to go to reach Conchita's Rise Like A Phoenix, though it's catchy!

So far I'm a bit disappointed with the season. None of the queens have shown a distinct interesting personality and they are all still very bland for me. I didn't watch any of the previews so I still have a hard time even following who's who. Hopefully it gets more interesting when the bottom of the bottom queens have gone (so far so good on the elimination side of things).

HowZatOZ

Banned
What the fuck was up with the runway lighting? Girlfriend and I could barely see shit when they were walking and it was really annoying because I never got detail on their outfits. Fire whoever thought purple blaring at you was a smart choice.

Also holy damn at that lip sync. Aja nailed it but this untucked makes me better.

On a side note, I'm finding going from season 7 to season 9 has been very grating. There is no comedy, no characters outside of Nina. No one has given a shit about their drag character and it feels almost like season 1 again.

Maledict

So this is going to sound awful, but have they changed the lighting or something? Because one thing we've noticed is how bad a lot of the contestant's skin is in this season - and for most of them, the make up isn't covering it up either.

moggio

Banned
So this is going to sound awful, but have they changed the lighting or something? Because one thing we've noticed is how bad a lot of the contestant's skin is in this season - and for most of them, the make up isn't covering it up either.

They're now broadcasting it in 1080p.

Yeah I agree the new runway lighting is terrible, just drowns everything in purple. Bf and I were watching it and he noticed it first, but after he pointed it out I couldn't unsee. You basically can't see the colours until the line-up section.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That was certainly one of the worst challenges and runways the show has ever had. Awkward, sloppy, unfunny. I appreciated getting a little sewing time in the workroom for once, but the show has been edited down to so little content that it's felt like I'm watching everything in fast-forward during the past 3-4 seasons.

Aja's acne scarring and Kimora's raised pustules are clockable even in 240p

Daily BHA exfoliation, hunnies!

Yas! Shea's skin isn't great but I think she does a really good job of covering it when she's in full face. These kids need to start a post-drag skincare regimen or they're gonna look busted when they hit 30.

Was there even one shot of that lipsync where Kimora was mouthing the correct lyrics? Between that crappy sidekick and the lipsync this was deserved. But I would've either had Farrah go against Kimora or have a triple lipsync. Michelle welling up with shade was the funniest bit of the show.

Trinity surprised me, she was funny, had some good puns, her look wasn't exciting but it was all put together well. Shea's character was funny too, I thought she was taking inspiration from the voice over at the start of Quantum Leap, or the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull from He-Man. Valentina continues to shine and looks like front runner material so far to me. Her and Nina definately.

Eggbok

Depending on the next few eliminations I feel like Ru is going to bring Kimora back when it's down to like 5 or 6 queens. But then at the same time since no one was eliminated on the first episode there might not even be anyone brought back.

Hmm..

Wow Aja's green-eyed monster went in on Valentina in Untucked. I see Charlie had something to say about her as well. Obv. she's the "she's so pretty and young the judges think she can do no wrong queen" this year, always good for a few prickly jabs from the other girls tee-hee-hee!

Depending on the next few eliminations I feel like Ru is going to bring Kimora back when it's down to like 5 or 6 queens. But then at the same time since no one was eliminated on the first episode there might not even be anyone brought back.

Hmm..
Tbh I'd rather have no eliminated queen return this season. Cynthia coming back already fulfills our "twist" for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom