• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

You don't have time to play the game? It has been said that unlocks span across multiplayer and Spartan Ops, maybe even regular campaign (not sure about the last one, though). It's also been said that the unlocks are solely for customizing your loadouts, not for keeping you from using any of the weapons in-game.

Load outs also include armor abilities. Will those be pickups? Serious question here. Not trying to be snarky.

If loadouts only include weapons and abilities any one can pick up on the map and thus only matter in the first 15 seconds til I find exactly the weapon I want, then it's not that bad. An example of my point: In Reach, I love Hologram, but if Halo 4's Hologram takes me say 10+ hours* of multiplayer to unlock that ability then that's what I'm talking about. But the way I used to play and really enjoyed playing now requires a non-insignificant time investment.

Here's the biggest point: there will be tons of stuff in Halo 4 that I will never unlock. Never. I just won't play enough. I will be competitive right out of the gate, I'm sure. It'll be balanced so I can. In Reach, never unlocking everything just meant I never look the way I want. (I still really want a gold visor, but I don't have the time for that.) That never affected how the game played for me. Weapons, equipment, arbor abilities, etc will affect how the game is played.

I played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1, about halfway through the campaign. And that's all of the COD I've played. So I have no clue how COD handles all this. From what I've heard, they have 2-3 times the number of weapons and lots of fiddly bits you can add to guns. Who knows how Halo 4 will do it. I'm definitely anxious to learn more. Maybe at E3.

* Maybe that's unfair, but there will be unlocks that require significant amounts of time.

ElRenoRaven

Hahah! Yeahhhhhhhh... =p

Lmao agreed, so confused on how WoW would benefit him at all.

Yea. I mean keep in mind I'd never do anything like that sick fuck but if I were to plot a massacre first off I'd not use a videogame to plan it out. Second of all if I were that stupid I wouldn't pick WOW. I mean in WOW doesn't translates into the real world. At least COD translates more to the real world then WOW does.

TheOddOne

Nothing about this makes sense:
Breivik, on trial for massacring 77 people last July, said he spent "lots of time" playing Modern Warfare, a first-person shooting game, and also took an entire year off to play World of Warcraft, a multi-player role-playing game with more than 10 million subscribers.

"I don't really like those games but it is good if you want to simulate for training purposes," Breivik said as he discussed Modern Warfare, smiling when asked about the aiming system.

Breivik, who once played Modern Warfare 17-hours straight on New Year's Eve 2010/2011, said he used such games to simulate the police response and the best escape strategy.
I think the lawyers are trying every angle to get him to look like a victim and get him sentenced for insanity. Fuck him and his lawyers.

ElRenoRaven

If we can have guns IRL, I don't see why we can't play video games about shooting them...

No matter what games will always be used as a scapegoat. You could outlaw every game but Tetris and some crazy idiot would kill someone with a brick then say oh Tetris made me do it. All of those blocks falling gave me the idea. When someone is obviously twisted be it mental illness or just a sick sick piece of human waste like this guy then they will act on things.

How many of us here play these violent games and never once act on them? They'll ignore that. They'll always concentrate on that one psycho who snaps and goes on a killing spree.

jbpMsVgQ8y3MTQ.jpg

That shit looks like a miniature frigate you can fire. Mini-MAC? :lol

Load outs also include armor abilities. Will those be pickups? Serious question here. Not trying to be snarky.

If loadouts only include weapons and abilities any one can pick up on the map and thus only matter in the first 15 seconds til I find exactly the weapon I want, then it's not that bad. An example of my point: In Reach, I love Hologram, but if Halo 4's Hologram takes me say 10+ hours* of multiplayer to unlock that ability then that's what I'm talking about. But the way I used to play and really enjoyed playing now requires a non-insignificant time investment.

Here's the biggest point: there will be tons of stuff in Halo 4 that I will never unlock. Never. I just won't play enough. I will be competitive right out of the gate, I'm sure. It'll be balanced so I can. In Reach, never unlocking everything just meant I never look the way I want. (I still really want a gold visor, but I don't have the time for that.) That never affected how the game played for me. Weapons, equipment, arbor abilities, etc will affect how the game is played.

I played Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1, about halfway through the campaign. And that's all of the COD I've played. So I have no clue how COD handles all this. From what I've heard, they have 2-3 times the number of weapons and lots of fiddly bits you can add to guns. Who knows how Halo 4 will do it. I'm definitely anxious to learn more. Maybe at E3.

* Maybe that's unfair, but there will be unlocks that require significant amounts of time.
From what I've gathered, the unlocking of weapons/AA's only apply to your ability to customize a loadout to your specific tastes, and doesn't bar you from using any particular weapon or AA from the game itself (It's also been stated here and at HBO that you can use any weapon on the battlefield from the start of the game as you've always been able to do in Halo. It is my hope that AA's can be scavenged from the battlefield like any other weapon, but that may lead to far too much crap littered about).

Frankie has also said that AA's and loadouts in general will be far more tailored to the map/gametype than they were in Reach, which is some of the best news I've heard about multiplayer so far.

edit: goddamn that's a big gun. sweeeeeeeeet.

FyreWulff

3. I love that you shove all the blame to Microsoft side, while Bungie gets a pass for how they treated Reach.

Microsoft, as the publisher, determines when and where content comes out for their game. If Microsoft was only going to pay for a release of a single Bungie map pack for Reach, all we were going to get was a single Bungie map pack for Reach.

We've known for quite some time that Bungie wanted more and frequent content releases for Halo. Microsoft, however, holds the final word, and rightfully so, since they're paying the bills.

So yes, since Microsoft is the publisher and makes these decisions, I blame them because they're the ones responsible for them.

What? Since the Reach handover, we've gotten:

- The Title Update
- Anniversary Maps (I don't care if they were outsourced, that's still 343 support.)
- ATLAS
- Waypoint Custom Challenges
- Fairly regular playlist updates (almost monthly).
- Population-wide file share upgrades to 24 slots.
- Halo 3 Recon for all.

It's only natural that support will be reduced as Halo 4 spins up. I'm sure they aren't going to drop 4 support when 5 production starts because Halo 4 is their baby.

- ncsuDuncan, 343 Sympathizer Squad

A title update that fixed no bugs, tracing over maps Bungie already made, a feature while neat comes across as something to sell more windows 7 phones, functionality that community sites were already providing via the API except they couldn't award cR, the matchmaking updates are just as frequent as Bungie's so I'm not going to pat them on the back for that, was a result of Bungie Pro going away, was a result of them choosing to not re-implement full Halo 3 and ODST stats so that you could still unlock it.

Halo 3 fell into the same state once Reach started gearing up. Microsoft has no excuse now that they run the entire show top to bottom, they certainly have enough money to actually continue support for features for a game they're actively selling 35$ of DLC for right now.

You're deliberately leaving out Bungie role in this. Microsoft left a lot of Reach up to Bungie, during that period is was doing rather poorly, in basically support. They have often said that they where tired of Halo and the way they handled Reach pretty much shows it. If your really being critical, you can't leave out that part of the story.

Things started ramping up when Microsoft/343 finally took over. Check Duncans post, they have also made mistake though.

Uh, Bungie was supporting the game monthly, gave us brand new gametypes on a regular basis, were adding new features, and were actually hitting things pretty damn hard, and had fairly solid plans for future playlists that the CCs were supposed to keep eyes out on content for. They were certainly not neglecting the game in any aspect, and I should know, having to have to collect content for their updates. Like how armor lock was being mostly phased out of new playlists. 343 apparently thought otherwise, and reversed that to reintroducing it.

TheOddOne

Microsoft, as the publisher, determines when and where content comes out for their game. If Microsoft was only going to pay for a release of a single Bungie map pack for Reach, all we were going to get was a single Bungie map pack for Reach.

We've known for quite some time that Bungie wanted more and frequent content releases for Halo. Microsoft, however, holds the final word, and rightfully so, since they're paying the bills.

So yes, since Microsoft is the publisher and makes these decisions, I blame them because they're the ones responsible for them.
You're deliberately leaving out Bungie role in this. Microsoft left a lot of Reach up to Bungie, during that period is was doing rather poorly, in basically support. They have often said that they where tired of Halo and the way they handled Reach pretty much shows it. If your really being critical, you can't leave out that part of the story.

Things started ramping up when Microsoft/343 finally took over. Check Duncans post, they have also made mistake though.

senador

Banned
This is my concern, actually. Spartan Ops sounds neat. But a full CGI cutscene and everything each week? That sounds expensive to spin up production of any new Spartan Ops post-launch.

Let's assume Spartan Ops is actually available to all copies, not just ones with a Mattrick Pass. So the first "season" or whatever is probably going to be on the disc. Depending on how long these cutscenes are, HD FMV is going to eat up disc space. They get through the Spartan Ops story, and release more.

Under the existing Halo direction, new DLC would have the scenes animated in-engine and vo'd. Now we're expecting Microsoft to actually spend the money to produce FMVs (more than likely outsourced) to go with new Spartan Ops stories? This is a publisher that only paid to have 3 content packs made for each of their last games, and that was just for multiplayer. Now they'll want DLC, AND CGI'd Spartan Ops content? With Halo 5 probably not too far behind in another 2 years?

Going off Microsoft's history, I'd only expect one new "season" of Spartan Ops at all, if any. Unless they outsource to Certain Affinity for either Ops or multiplayer packs, they won't have the manpower or the corporate backing (from my viewpoint) to produce content for Halo 4 once Halo 5 starts spinning up. We've already seen how much they've dropped Reach support features with 4 winding up, and that was with Anniversary and it's map pack completely outsourced by another company.

343 is the Halo company. We can reasonably assume that once 4 goes out the door, 5 will start pre-production soon afterwards. I remain unconvinced in response to Microsoft's previous behavior with post-ship content that we'll see any post-launch Spartan Ops content, and if we do I only see a one-and-done happening. I'm leaning towards all Spartan Ops being on disc and that's what we get for post-campaign content until Halo 5 comes out. Microsoft has yet to convince me that they actually want a long post-release content cycle for their games. And this would be their first whack at doing post-launch campaign style content.

Will you take the Ramirez challenge of you are wrong?

Remember to not forget:

iFaLGNUoJAyui.gif
Not going to lie, whoever said they looked they were carved from wax in was right. Well, at least during that rvb video.

tumblr_lkwpwcWC1N1qf188xo1_1280.jpg

Both should be in the armoy. I would use the golden cod piece for my Spartan.
Honestly, that looks awesome, I would love for this level of customization

Damn, the movie woulda been great.. I hope MS and 343 can resurrect the project and keep its integrity.

Sorry it's not embedded, I did it from the minus app!

ibpMsVgQ8y3MTQ.jpg

Wait, holy shit what is this? New info? Recap of GI info but better written? Also, that gun.. =)

Also, that is what GI's cover art should have been. Missed a chance for a kickass cover..

Conan's just simply not funny. That Colbert video was quite entertaining.
Conan is awesome and I really relate to his sense of humor. I like Stephen Colbert as well, but to say Conan isn't funny seems off base. He wrote for Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons. The guy is a genius. Although, I know everyone has a different sense of humor, and that's a big part of it.

Anyway, back to Halo discussion. Carry on.

Top Bottom