• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted NGP set before Uncharted 1, has more exploration/fewer gunfights

Thanks to user Loudninja:

Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra said Uncharted NGP features a different vibe and rhythm than the PlayStation 3 games so people can play it in short bursts. This is a handheld game after all.

It's the same category of game, but has more exploration and fewer gunfights, letting people breathe while playing.

Responsibility for development has been passed from Naughty Dog to Sony Bend, whose most recent effort was the impressive Resistance: Retribution on PSP.

One of the development challenges Bend faces, Balestra said, is working with actors, suggesting the portable version features cinematics akin to those seen in its big brother.

Original Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_22502_uncharted-3-et-ngp-l-interview-de-christophe-balestra

Translation: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-uncharted-ngp-set-between-first-two-games

I like very much this news :) cannot wait for NGP to be release with Uncharted NGP being a release game for it.

EDIT: It seems that Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra was wrong about the story/timeline of Uncharted NGP but the gameplay part is correct:

arne said:
Bend Studio is really the best bet for any info related to the Uncharted NGP game, but I couldn't help but want to jump in and mention that the NGP storyline is set sometime before Drake's Fortune (and not a prequel). I'll leave the rest for the NGP/Uncharted NGP press campaign.
arne said:
Reason we're making the distinction is that it's not a direct lead-in to the story of Drake's Fortune, which many people would expect if you said "prequel"

And for those who know french, you can see the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-zyHWl698&feature=player_embedded

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"It's the same category of game, but has more exploration and fewer gunfights, letting people breathe while playing. "

Good news, I almost suffocated while playing Uncharted 2

TripOpt55

Is the thing about them showing what happened between Nate and Elena just speculation on the writers' part? I can't quite tell.

I can't wait to hear more on this. More exploration sounds good.

It sounds great but I'm a little worried about the "short bursts" comment. I hope this doesn't mean that the game will be distinctly broken into missions or levels kind of like MGS: PW. I think it works well enough for PW but I'm not sure it would be as well suited to a series like Uncharted.

styl3s

Hopefully they will do a few NGP uncharted games, it's the perfect platform to release other stories in the universe, kind of like "liberty city stories etc" they could do a few side storylines, games connecting other things etc.

i am incredibly excited for the NGP, because of the power of the thing they could do great side games for franchises like UC and have them look and run great.

HOPEFULLY they will have a HDMI out port where you can play it on your big screen.

styl3s said:
HOPEFULLY they will have a HDMI out port where you can play it on your big screen.

Fucking PLEASE.

God I have such mixed feelings on this game. I know it's going to be amazing, I'll be getting it day one, but the experience will be neutered on a small screen.

Trick_GSF

Banned
So.. We may find out what happened between Nathan and Elana, I guess. Sounding interesting so far, anyway.

Looking forward to seeing some proper footage/screens.

Ra1den

Funny I just posted a couple days ago about how there was no explanation of what happened between Nate and Elena after U1. This is great news.

BadWolf

Glad there's more exploration, much prefer games like this to be more about adventure and exploration rather than action.

So, no Elena then. Probably. I hope it's based on Drake taking a holiday to lament his break-up, getting really rat-arsed, and then, in a drunken accident, finds himself being hunted down by a local war-lord. At the end, he finds the original version of the Bible, which reveals Jesus was actually a fucking blue guy

So I see the NGP will continue the trend of watered down handheld games meant to be played in "short bursts". Do these devs not know about the instant suspend feature?

fernoca

styl3s said:
Proprietary HDMI-out cable if anything, doubt Sony is that nice to include regular HDMI-out to allow any cable, but I'd love to be wrong. :p

But in any case, more uncharted is always welcome...hope they don't "f" things up. :p

KAL2006

Banned
May as well repost what I think from the other thread

KAL2006 said:
Interesting, I wonder if they will go MGS Peace Walker style where it is mission based, and you choose levels like Mario games. Uncharted could easily fit this model, simply have some story about getting many pieces of a artifact, then have a overworld map where you choose a level to get a piece of a artifact. Of course you unlock more levels as you progress.

RavenFox

Banned
styl3s said:
Hopefully they will do a few NGP uncharted games, it's the perfect platform to release other stories in the universe, kind of like "liberty city stories etc" they could do a few side storylines, games connecting other things etc.

i am incredibly excited for the NGP, because of the power of the thing they could do great side games for franchises like UC and have them look and run great.

There is a video out for the system just going by the reveal. It's located at the bottom of the device so we know the system is capable. Whether Sony allows it is another topic.

H_Prestige said:
So I see the NGP will continue the trend of watered down handheld games meant to be played in "short bursts". Do these devs not know about the instant suspend feature?
A witless post without merit. After all we've seen and heard of NGP you write this.

Zoibie

H_Prestige said:

That sounds a lot better to me than watered down console ports, a la PSP.

Marleyman

Banned
styl3s said:
I want a gay robot sidekick.

300_64769.jpg

TripOpt55

KAL2006 said:
May as well repost what I think from the other thread
Not sure if I like that idea or not. I don't see why it couldn't be set up like the other Uncharted games personally. Like one continuous adventure. I mean it autosaves pretty often, so I don't think stopping should be much of an issue.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I like the sound of "more exploration" but I really hope it doesn't end up translating to those simplified, almost automated, "exploration" segments we've already seen. It was a decent demo to showcase the new inputs, but I thought it was redundant and unnecessary. I trust ND to make that alternative control scheme as optional, and really try to flesh out and overhaul Uncharted's exploration mechanics.

Because if they don't, and if they really end up scaling the action and shooting parts back, the shortcomings of their previous formula will stick out.

KAL2006

Banned
H_Prestige said:

How so, didn't Bend make Resistance Retribution which got a better reception from it's fans than Resistance 2.

Bend is making Uncharted NGP, so I have no doubt that this game will be shit. Here is a Resistance Retribution Video Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwd6u_Fx8eU

Resistance Retribution seems to be a fully featured game with epic shoot outs, cinematics, and a fully featured online mode that has voice chat, stat tracking and etc. The only thing that held back Resistance Retribution was graphics and no dual analog support, but this isn't a problem with NGP

EmSeta

H_Prestige said:
Stop making sense! Handheld games MUST be gimped!

Green Scar said:
It doesn't, I did say probably :/ (Setting the game between U1 and U2 is a good excuse to not include Elena, and cut down on acting costs, maybe?)

Elena is very popular so I don't see why they wouldn't include her. The Eurogamer story pointed out how they could tie her into it.

KAL2006

Banned
Green Scar said:
It doesn't, I did say probably :/ (Setting the game between U1 and U2 is a good excuse to not include Elena, and cut down on acting costs, maybe?)

what the heck, reading that article made you think no Elena, after reading that I personally thought this is a great chance to get to know what happened between Elena and Drake after U1 and before U2

daffy

Banned
Wario64 said:
"It's the same category of game, but has more exploration and fewer gunfights, letting people breathe while playing. "

Good news, I almost suffocated while playing Uncharted 2
Hellion said:
I hope Nate gets a kid sidekick like short round in a future game.
oh my goood I love this forum :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Drake going on a killing spree after a bad break-up sounds like an interesting premise, though :)

Zoibie said:
That sounds a lot better to me than watered down console ports, a la PSP.

PSP mostly got games like Uncharted NGP. Spin offs broken down into small chunks.

Unlike PSP, console ports would actually work on NGP. If not ports, at the very least design NGP games as if they were on PS3. Who the hell wants this stupid "mission" crap?

KAL2006

Banned
H_Prestige said:
PSP mostly got games like Uncharted NGP. Spin offs broken down into small chunks.

Unlike PSP, console ports would actually work on NGP. If not ports, at the very least design NGP games as if they were on PS3. Who the hell wants this stupid "mission" crap?

I agree and disagree, I want both. I enjoyed MGS4, but I also enjoyed the structure of MGS Peace Walker. I don't see why we can't have both types of games.

KAL2006 said:
what the heck, reading that article made you think no Elena, after reading that I personally thought this is a great chance to get to know what happened between Elena and Drake after U1 and before U2

I always got the impression that their falling out was just a lover's tiff, not a grand adventure turned sour. I don't much fancy the idea of an Uncharted where Drake loses the girl or spends half his time arguing, so yeah, I don't really care what happened between them :lol After all, they're together again now!

I'm more interested in Drake hanging out with Harry Flynn or something. *shrugs*

Top Bottom