• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes sells well and Suda cries tears of joy

1-D_FTW

Safe Bet said:
How much did Calling All Cars sell?

I remember it being called a bomb despite the game's low cost of development...

Are we going to use "profit margin" to measure success now?

Sales-Age Confirmed

Profit margin has always been the priority of the sane here. The people who ignore this are the ones who give gaming-age its bad name and allow people to throw out generic, blanket statements about Gaf's economic illiteracy whenever you make a valid comment that slaps their fanboy console of choice. Even this thread here, people keep bringing up Uncharted and it blows the mind. Sales are worthless. Revenue - expense = PROFIT. Profit is all any developer/publisher cares about in their analysis of whether it was a commercial success or not.

evil ways

jj984jj said:
Awesome! Maybe now the can grant Suda that sequel with a little bit bigger budget, now he can address the problems the first game had!

Yeah, which is basically everything about the game, except the art, style and the story.

evil ways said:
Yeah, which is basically everything about the game, except the art, style and the story.

...and the controls and boss scenarios. The overworld was pretty much the only bad aspect of the game, and that's something that could definitely benefit from a bigger budget.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Official number from sonycowboy:

[WII No More Heroes] = 65K

Not amazing, but still pretty solid and if I remember correctly still more than any of his previous efforts.

Alex P

schuelma said:

Not amazing, but still pretty solid and if I remember correctly still more than any of his previous efforts.

Is that North America alone? Sell-through or shipped?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Alex P said:
Is that North America alone? Sell-through or shipped?

That is U.S sales for the 12 days it was out in January. It's a pretty solid showing IMO.

Vinci

Danish
So it sold 65k in 12 days? That's pretty damn good, considering Ubisoft didn't put that many into the sales channel.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
schuelma said:

still a big success! i said 75k, so this is awesome.
it'll likely be at or close to that 100k now, with the restocks in February

rejoice.jpg

Evander said:
Game publishers sell their games to retailers. The retail figures are irrelevant to their financial reports.
What a ridiculously idiotic statement.

Retail figures are relevant to companies. They matter when it comes to sequels and other properties involving said game characters or worlds.

Davidion

John Harker said:
still a big success! i said 75k, so this is awesome.
it'll likely be at or close to that 100k now, with the restocks in February

Eh, if that 100k number had any weight to it, then it was probably sold-to-retail.

DaBargainHunta said:
What a ridiculously idiotic statement.

Retail figures are relevant to companies. They matter when it comes to sequels and other properties involving said game characters or worlds.

Uh, except he was talking about financial statements.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Davidion said:
Eh, if that 100k number had any weight to it, then it was probably sold-to-retail.

yea, isnt it great?

why am i the only one partying?
im glad you downsayers stayed out of my official thread

waynes%20world.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
John Harker said:
yea, isnt it great?

why am i the only one partying?
im glad you downstairs stayed out of my official thread

waynes%20world.jpg

Any chance ubisoft will be picking up any other smaller-overhead games to bring over to the US? And do you happen to know how much was actually invested in this game?

TwinIonEngines said:
The albums also aren't $50. Non-comparative comparisons ftl.

it *IS* comparative. that's the whole point.................

you sell 100K of a music album that cost WAY less to make

VS

a $50 game at 100K units

come on people

Davidion

DaBargainHunta said:
UH....LIKE, DUDE...UH...finances aren't handled in a...UH...vacuum. Retail sales matter, period. No company ignores them.

UH, LIKE UH, retail demand is handled by marketing. He didn't say the company ignores them completely, only from a financial perspective, genius.

Davidion said:
UH, LIKE UH, retail demand is handled by marketing. He didn't say the company ignores them completely, only from a financial perspective, genius.
UH........................

A company ignores retail sales from a financial perspective? :lol

jarrod

Banned
Linkup said:
65k for 12 days of January...

hopefully another 35k for the other 15 days of February. Success either way.
Considering the various reports of spot sell out 1st/2nd week, I'd expect it probably's going to maintain sales better than usual depending on how well Ubi restocks.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
cheers, suda!

*unpacks his brand new canadian NMH copy*

hey, somebody has replaced my awesome comic-book-style manual with something in french.

Arde5643

Ignoring the idiots currently littering the thread.... :/

This shows that the Wii is the best console to put out niche, experimental games compared to other two.
I'm expecting to see more cult-like, experimental titles coming out from JP for the Wii with the success of NMH.

aeolist

Banned
Wasn't this game in really short supply? I remember a lot of people from different areas having major trouble finding a copy.

Vinci

Danish
aeolist said:
Wasn't this game in really short supply? I remember a lot of people from different areas having major trouble finding a copy.

Which is why I'd love to know how many copies Ubisoft actually released into the wild. It has to be a pretty high percentage at that sales number.

Tron 2.0

Davidion said:
Which is still wrong.

Scrubking said:
So it's 65k for Jan and 100k up till now?
That would make sense to me. Maybe not 100k but pretty close.

hclflow

Congrats to Suda, he's gotta be quite happy now, especially considering how poorly it was received in Japan. Hopefully the man starts getting a little more respect.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Arde5643 said:
Ignoring the idiots currently littering the thread.... :/

This shows that the Wii is the best console to put out niche, experimental games compared to other two.
I'm expecting to see more cult-like, experimental titles coming out from JP for the Wii with the success of NMH.

^^^ the fundamental reason i own a wii.
this side of metroid prime

DaBargainHunta said:
Is it french-only like Fire Pro was? :lol

nah, i got an english version too. neither of the two are awesome jp comic books, though. ubisoft = utter fail at this game.

Davidion

DaBargainHunta said:
UH........................

A company ignores retail sales from a financial perspective? :lol

What part of FINANCIAL REPORTS AND STATEMENTS do you not fucking understand? He said that retails sales numbers are, and I quote: "irrelevant to their financial reports". Do you not read?

Or maybe you want to come here and tell me that the annual revenue report that I'm looking at that was issued to my company's president and senior executives is wrong because it happens to not contain any information about how our products sold in retail. :lol

Tron 2.0 said:
Which is still wrong.

Yeah, read the original post that he quoted.

Tron 2.0

It's not irrelevant.

If stores pre-ordered a large quantity of a game and then didn't sell it, they can send it back to get credit.

So it effects the bottom line. Just like if you take anything else back to a store and they pay out credit for the merchandise.

Sell through matters. I can't believe this argument is actually happening.

birdchili

this was always laser-targeted at the western market. failure in japan was perhaps disappointing, but hardly surprising.

more original ip from these folk please!

Davidion

Tron 2.0 said:
It's not irrelevant.

If stores pre-ordered a large quantity of a game and then didn't sell it, they can send it back to get credit.

So it effects the bottom line. Just like if you take anything else back to a store and they pay out credit for the merchandise.

Sell through matters. I can't believe this argument is actually happening.

No kidding, stores returns product for multitude of reasons and it isn't exclusive to the amount of units sold. Retail sales are not tracked in the company's financial documents but rather by groups like marketing. What is so damn hard to understand about this?

Christine

Barkley's Justice said:
it *IS* comparative. that's the whole point.................

you sell 100K of a music album that cost WAY less to make

VS

a $50 game at 100K units

come on people

Neither the production costs, nor the MSRP, nor the margins are comparable. It's not a useful comparison to show anything, either way.

Tron 2.0

Davidion said:
Retail sales are not tracked in the company's financial documents but rather by groups like marketing.
Sweet Jesus.

Just because there isn't a specific section labeled "RETAIL SALES" doesn't mean they aren't tracked. Retail sales effect revenue. Retail sales effect profitablility. They have to be tracked in a company's financials.

JDSN

Banned
schuelma said:

About 15K less from what I expected, but considering that I didnt expect Ubisoft to fuck this up it did pretty well.

Vinci said:
Ubisoft has continued to show extreme stupidity and poor judgement when it comes to the games they release and how to properly take care of them.

And they will continue, they are the next SEGA in my eyes.

Lobster said:
Thread title should read:

No More Heroes sells well and bluheim cries tears of pain

I laugh at the fact that Wii already has the best game of the gen on last gen hardware. Now I'll laugh when you downplay the game and say there are plenty of better games out there.

No im not talking about NMH btw.

I have to agree this time. You are a fanboy, but I cannot ignore that Nintendo has developed Super Mario Galaxy on a shitty last-gen hardware: and the result is a masterpiece that both PS3 and X360 haven't. Probably the best game since Ocarina of Time or FF VII.

I'm impressed and it proves how unimportant is the hardware at the end. Developing teams are what counts really.

Mamesj

Banned
DayShallCome said:
...and the controls and boss scenarios. The overworld was pretty much the only bad aspect of the game, and that's something that could definitely benefit from a bigger budget.

except the pink elephant no one seems to talk about--all the main levels are basically the same thing over and over.

The action is fun, but incredibly repetitive.

Davidion

Tron 2.0 said:
Sweet Jesus.

Just because there isn't a specific section labeled "RETAIL SALES" doesn't mean they aren't tracked. Retail sales effect revenue. Retail sales effect profitablility. They have to be tracked in a company's financials.

Revenue is calculated by sales to retail, not sell-through. That was the whole point of this. Did you even go back and read what sparked this whole affair in the first place?

Top Bottom