• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

faridmon

dark10x said:
I'm afraid technology is exceeding battery capabilities at this point. Those quoted Vita numbers are somewhat similar to the PSP numbers, however, and the 3DS is pretty much on par with it. If you can deal with the PSP, you can deal with these new systems.

The 3DS is particularly easy to handle when it comes to recharging thanks to its included dock.
Fair enough. I am just waiting for revision for both of them. Here is hoping to have a longer battery life.

Didn't PSP 2000 have better battery longetivity than 1000? It feels like it.

apana

Windows Phone 7 fo lyfe:

bill-gates.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
faridmon said:
Fair enough. I am just waiting for revision for both of them. Here is hoping to have a longer battery life.

Didn't PSP 2000 have better battery longetivity than 1000? It feels like it.
Not really. The 3DS battery lasts roughly as long as my PSPs provided you disable the Wi-fi functionality (which isn't necessary for most games).

I've had iOS for gaming for 3 years. iPhone 3G and then iPhone 4. While there are some nice gems in there, there's nothing that I've played that has the quality or production values from what I've seen on the 3DS. And that's just 3D ports of old games (Starfox/Zelda/DOA).

I still have my iPhone and I love it. I'll get an iPhone 6 when it launches. But when it comes to gaming, I'm going with a dedicated handheld for the production values. Nothing wrong with 99c potatochip games, but throwing birds and cutting ropes gets boring after a while....

Midou

StuBurns said:
Install bases in 2016:

3DS = 65M
PSV = 40M

Book it.

Seems reasonable. The PSP gained a lot of momentum towards the end but started off pretty poorly. Vita seems to be doing better than the PSP in terms of early major releases (even if its a lot of ports), but it remains to be seen how it effects other releases.

sajj316

My iPhone will not be my portable gaming machine. Not a fan of putting all my eggs in one basket. That's why I have a man purse. iPhone in the pocket. 3DS and Vita in my man purse ... done

Vita is a (mostly) superior hardware platform and obviously has a better launch lineup.

That said, it looks pretty much fucked in Japan until Sony announces more third-party games that are actually likely to sell beyond the 200-300K range, especially considering the incredibly strong 3DS lineup from Q4 on and PSP's continued success.

In the West, 3DS will be weaker competition, but considering the announced software lineup, Sony seems to be hinging its success on the gamble that there's a huge percentage of the dudebro demographic just waiting for the right hardware platform and software lineup before they eagerly embrace dedicated handheld gaming. I don't anticipate that that will work out too well for them - even if CoD, AC, and Bioshock all turn out to be high-quality, big-budget exclusives, which I very much doubt will be the case for all three.

Fredrik

IceDoesntHelp said:
3DS and Vita are both doomed.
The truth.

Smartphones is the future of portable gaming.

I still love my 3DS though and will love my Vita too once FFX remake is released. I just don't think I'll ever use either of them as a portable gaming machine outside my house like I do with my iPhone. $0.99 games on a machine you already have in your pocket beats everything. I think I've carried around my 3DS outside 4 times since I bought it.

FGMPR

Banned
3DS line-up is starting to look pretty damn nice I must say. I still get annoyed that they didn't put a second control stick to start with but the expansion does at least look like it will make pressing the L and R buttons much more comfortable.

Overall as a 3DS owner, I'm really happy with it. Vita conference was rather average though (I still want one).

After TGS, I'm just getting an iPhone 5. I was not impressed by the Vita or 3DS lineups.

Although, I'll admit that I don't really like Nintendo games that much, so that's not really Nintendo's fault.

Last night's Sony conference was a complete abortion. I feel raped by watching that conference.
That, along with the proprietary memory card prices, have completely pushed me away from the Vita. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll pick up a used one. But for now, I'm just going to stick with iOS.

Have a 3DS, slightly happy but not really until NEW games come out that I'll enjoy (Mario Kart/3D Land)

Own an Android and an iPhone but don't game on it and nothing really piques my interest (although Battleheart was fun, too short though)

Will getting a Vita after a few months when I can buy it used.

I win everything.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm excited for both! I already like the 3DS and the upcoming lineup is pretty great while the Vita is exciting and also has a great lineup on the way. I'm all over both of them! With a one month old baby in the house I've found myself playing a lot of portable games lately so the timing could not be better!

iOS, I could almost understand, but the Android gaming lineup is absolutely pathetic next to the 3DS and Vita.

Honestly, I've owned an iPhone for a while, and while it's great for quick games, I still think the 3DS and Vita offer and will offer much better gaming experiences overall. That's not to say there aren't great titles on iOS (there definitely are), but that it really isn't a proper replacement for a dedicated games machine if you care about high quality, polished experiences.

If you only care about the times when you might pick up and play for 5 minutes here and there, an iOS device will do just fine.

Android, though, is still a joke on the gaming front.

I personally cant understand how anyone could qualify such a statement, unless you're ignorant of the gaming library on Android.

If all anyone is interested in is pickup and play, 5 minute gaming, Android would MORE than suffice. Sure, IOS has more, but we're talking about being so far over the point of quantity on both platforms that there is something for everyone.

If someone was interested in deeper experiences with bigger production values, on the go; a DS or PSP machine would be the logical choice.

Personally, I find the library on both Android and IOS pretty unfulfilling and mostly comprised of snack-gaming so to speak. The best I've played (and are exceptions to the previous statement) are probably Game Dev Story, Battle Heart, Infinite Blade (very reminiscent of punch-out), Sprinkle, and Riptide GP.

gutterboy44 said:
I think both Vita and 3DS are screwed

Vita:
-Price point
Will come down eventually.

-Battery life
Is on par with similar devices of its nature

-Just play the games on PS3
So every single Vita game will be available on the PS3? Huh.

-Smartphones killing them
Until that market crashes. You can only update Angry Birds so many times before customers look elsewhere.

3DS:
-Gimmicky 3D
Just like "Gimmicky" waggle. Le sigh.

-Bullshit add on controller
Optional add-on controller

-Same dead horse franchises
That have yet to take a dip in quality.

See Vita response

snap0212

I think a dedicated handheld and a smartphone is a great combination. When I first got my iPhone I bought a lot of games that I ended up not playing at all. Some of them were fun but I got sick of them pretty fast. There were a couple of games that I really enjoyed but everything else was just bought because it was on sale/incredibly cheap. I never got a real gaming experience out of a smartphone game, to be honest. I did not play these games to have a gaming experience - I played them simply because there was time to waste. The time I spent with smartphone gaming did not cut into my actual gaming time. I never used my PSP or my DS while waiting for my bus, I used it when I knew I had an hour or two to play.

I already own a 3DS and I'll buy a Vita on day 1 but I kind of like the Vita more already. What Nintendo does just doesn't make any sense to me. They completely ignored what gamers want and hoped that the platform would sell regardless. Their online system on the 3DS is a joke, their eShop is horrible and wasn't even ready when the platform launched. And then I think the games are just too expensive. Vita are up for pre-order for 40€ on Amazon and when I take a look at videos of Vita games I can see why the games have to be a bit more expensive. When I take a look at 3DS games I just don't see why they cannot be cheaper. They don't make me "wow". Vita games do.

I've mentioned it in another Thread already but I really hope the Vita will be as sucessfull as Sony hopes. I want Sony to be rewarded for making the handheld I've always wanted. :)

Pirabear

Banned
What exactly was revealed for iOS? Not trolling, I seriously can't find any news reports of games announced at TGS for iOS.

StuBurns said:
Install bases in 2016:

3DS = 65M
PSV = 40M

Book it.

I'll play. No point in making five-years-out predictions if you're afraid of possibly being wrong, right?

3DS = 105M
PSV = 35M

I'll consider revising that PSV projection upwards when and if the software outlook improves, but right now, I'm just not seeing the makings of a viable software ecosystem there.

guek

Banned
kinggroin said:
I personally cant understand how anyone could qualify such a statement

not saying this is the case for dark10x but as far as apple diehards are concerned, all other platforms take shits in your mouth while raping your mother.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm a Nintendo fan and even I thought that the 3DS looked lackluster and the Vita was going to give it a serious run for its money.
Then the price cut hit. Then Nintendo revealed more of their software lineup, including Monster Hunter 4. Then Sony revealed that Vita would have a 3-5 hour battery life, that it would use proprietary memory, and crucially didn't really reveal anything exciting yesterday.

Talk about a turnaround.

thuway

Would I be wrong in suggesting GAF wait for the revision models of both systems?

Vita Version 2.0 - Improved battery life, cheaper memory cards, and a price drop.

3DS Lite - Actual dual circle pad, larger screen.

Only a fool would pass up both systems. If I had to choose, I'd go with Vita, mainly for the Uncharted, Final Fantasy love.

guek

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I'll play. No point in making five-years-out predictions if you're afraid of possibly being wrong, right?

3DS = 105M
PSV = 35M

I don't think 3DS will ever break 100 mil.

It's possible I suppose...maybe if the next monhun or pokemon are discovered on it. I think <80M is more likely.

qq more

thuway said:
Would I be wrong in suggesting GAF wait for the revision models of both systems?

Vita Version 2.0 - Improved battery life, cheaper memory cards, and a price drop.

Only a fool would pass up both systems. If I had to choose, I'd go with Vita, mainly for the Uncharted, Final Fantasy love.
Why would it be called a Lite and become bigger?

thuway said:

Has there been a Final Fantasy game announced outside of the X port?

Momo

Banned
qq more said:
Really? That sucks because I wanted to talk about MH4. Damn console wars.
Next time even the most minute new detail of MH4 comes around let's make a thread, Duckie will never know bwahaahahahaah11haha11ha :)

Soneet said:
Wow, I actually missed the last pages. It did go shit again. Vita(-only) fans should just stay out of threads with "3DS" in the title. Well, except for this one of course :|
I dont really care if people have weird console allegiances to be honest. I have preferred systems myself.

Like I made the point, that I would have preferred MH4 on a console (any) with a non nerfed second analogue. From there I started talking about how the mechanics of the game for me needs certain inputs. From there I started looking at and talking about what could be done for me to get the maximum enjoyment out of the game (3DS revision). This is me talking as a Monster Hunter fan wanting to enjoy my most played game of the last two gens as best I can.

What I do find irritating beyond belief is when people that do not give a fuck about the game comes into a thread and harps about the superiority of one platform over another with no other intention than to grief others or to cry about it not being on their system to help them "win"

EDIT: lol that felt good. this thread is great :D

Cipherr

guek said:
not saying this is the case for dark10x but as far as apple diehards are concerned, all other platforms take shits in your mouth while raping your mother.

The smartphone 'system wars' is shaping up to be much worse than the console wars are. Some seriously crazy mf'ers on that there boat.

Thanks for making this

For me it's going to be Vita this winter (hoping to import Japanese version) simply because it has an awesome launch lineup and all of those HD editions and things like Persona 4 are things I really want to buy. Following this I'll buy 3DS later next year, Nintendo's first party stuff does nothing for me so I'll wait a while until it has stronger third party software, plus the region locking thing is a real issue for me so I'll see which region gets blue balled the most first.

Pretty impressed with both Vita and 3DS at the moment (Sony had a shit TGS conference, Nintendo has entirely botched the 3DS hardware) but it's the games I care most about

Not interested in Smartphones/Tablets one bit.

Ninja Dom

Okay, in terms of power for games what order or positions do they stack?

iPad 2, iPhone 4, Vita and 3DS.

Is Vita really on similar terms to an iPad 2?? Dark 10x, Brain Stew, other GAF tech heads.

My counter to your counters. When Vita GO and 3DSi drop I will reconsider.

Vita:
-Price point
Will come down eventually.
Not quickly enough

-Battery life
Really? The 10 hours of gaming i get on iPad2 disagrees and the solid 8 hours on my phone.

-Just play the games on PS3
So every single Vita game will be available on the PS3? Huh.
A lot of the interesting games with "transfarring" are available for PS3. No interest in playing watered down versions of franchises on a handheld. Same with PSP, don't want shitty versions of games that exist on consoles. This is more just a personal response of why I don't care more than a definite failing point

Until that market crashes. You can only update Angry Birds so many times before customers look elsewhere.
Once that market crashes they aren't going to decide to buy new hardware. People are not going to stop buying cell phones. This market hasn't even begun to peak.

3DS:
-Gimmicky 3D
Just like "Gimmicky" waggle. Le sigh.
Yes, the wiggle is still a gimick and the worst contribution to gaming this gen. Wii is tanking and collecting dust

-Bullshit add on controller
Optional add-on controller
Until that revised 3DS comes out in a year and half that adds the second analog. Have fun with that.

-Same dead horse franchises
That have yet to take a dip in quality.
Cause they are the same game released over and over. Nintendo games became boring the day I started to pay my own rent.

See Vita response
Same

Azure J

Thank you Based Duckroll. Now maybe GAF can have a little breathing period without slander from all sides and I can get into a game thread on page 3 without seeing folks ramble on about how Vita/3DS is dead or "lol phone has no controls gaming".

Ninja Dom said:
Okay, in terms of power for games what order or positions do they stack?

iPad 2, iPhone 4, Vita and 3DS.

Is Vita really on similar terms to an iPad 2?? Dark 10x, Brain Stew, other GAF tech heads.

The issue with comparing both is that Apple's hardware is updated on a yearly basis whereas Sony/Nintendo's hardware sits on the market up to seven years.

Of course that brings with it the double-edged sword of software incompatibility. An iPad 1 won't be able to play as many games as the iPad 2 will and so on, but a Vita or 3DS purchase will play all software through the lifespan of the hardware.

Synless

dallow_bg said:
Buying Vita and have 3DS and iOS devices already.
Guess I'm part of the winners table.
It is nice eh? I am very excited for Vita. I have had my pre-order since it was announced.

gutterboy44 said:
-Battery life
Really? The 10 hours of gaming i get on iPad2 disagrees and the solid 8 hours on my phone.
You don't get 10 hours of gaming on an iPad2. I have never gotten that kind of time out of it unless I just used it to surf the web, if it even lasts that long half the time.

I love how people here seem to ignore the fact that battery technology is growing much slower than other tech. They can't just magically improve battery life like that. If you want to see a significant change in battery in either device, expect something bigger or something YEARS out

Synless said:
You don't get 10 hours of gaming on an iPad2. I have never gotten that kind of time out of it unless I just used it to surf the web.

Varies game to game. You can play Peggle till your eyes bleed. Either way, iPad 2 is way more than 3 hours. I also am of the skeptical camp in that the battery life for Vita will end up being even lower than the estimates. Like most devices these days.

Once again, I will probably end up with a 3DS or Vita or both. I just think they are going to fail because the general public will see it as a "why bother' situation since they have their phones and tablets.

do people really enjoy playing games like real racer? it just makes me feel like I have been crippled with all of my fingers cut and my brain numb

Varies game to game. You can play Peggle till your eyes bleed. Either way, iPad 2 is way more than 3 hours. I also am of the skeptical camp in that the battery life for Vita will end up being even lower than the estimates. Like most devices these days.
You may play DS games on 3DS and it will last much more than 3 hours, like 5-6 hours.

When the 3DS was first announced it seemed like it had potential for me, then it released with an absurdly high price point and a lacklustre launch line up. For someone who always bought Nintendo hardware, the 3DS was the first time I could see myself entirely skipping one, but that price slash really did trigger things for me, and I am sucker for first party titles, so now I know I will be getting a 3DS for sure - the holiday line-up is totally my cup of tea. I'm just trying to wait just a little longer to see if a redesign will be announced.

The Vita is interesting because hardware wise it is pretty much what I want in a handheld. It also got rid of the UMD format which was nice and the price point is reasonable. The only problem now is that there aren't nearly enough games announced for the immediate future that interests me. I'm sure that will change in the future and then I'll get one.

Fredrik

The reality is that the DS will actually keep on being the best portable console.

1. Good battery time.
2. Lovely 2D graphics
3. Games that won't feel like they're better on a big TV
4. Lots of Final Fantasy games and remakes
5. Lots of Dragon Quest games
6. Lots of Pokemon games
7. Lots of awesome traditional Castlevania games
8. Low price on console and games
9. Lot of original games you haven't already played to death on your home consoles
10. Very pocketable
11. etc etc etc

StuBurns

Banned
walking fiend said:
do people really enjoy playing games like real racer? it just makes me feel like I have been crippled with all of my fingers cut and my brain numb
That game is shit, but not all iOS games are.

faridmon

dark10x said:
Not really. The 3DS battery lasts roughly as long as my PSPs provided you disable the Wi-fi functionality (which isn't necessary for most games).
Oh no. The PSP with the Wifi on is around 5 hours and around 8 hours when is not on.

And it only need 30 minutes to an hour to fully recharge.

[Nintex]

Nintendo kinda shot out Vita's kneecaps with the Monster Hunter 4 announcement. Iwata walked back and forward waving to the crowds like a boss and he secured Nintendo's Japanese lead.

Still both systems have to deal with high software prices, competition from all sides and I think they both end up fighting for a much smaller pie. Still Sony isn't going to last long in Japan if they don't get a hold of Monster Hunter.

Both Sony and Nintendo have errors in their strategy that I certainly didn't expect. Sony seems to think that people will buy everything on PS3 and PS Vita.. hahaha how foolish. Nintendo seems to think their online system resembles what we expect from an online system in 2011. "You can see what your friend is doing in Mario Kart 7!", can I join this friend? When 4DS comes out... probably.

So I'm looking at two systems that won't live up to the succes of the DS.

gutterboy44 said:
My counter to your counters. When Vita GO and 3DSi drop I will reconsider.

Seems like there's no pleasing you then, so there's no point in arguing further.

It must suck to live a life always feeling so bitter though.

Fredrik said:
The reality is that the DS will actually keep on being the best portable console.

1. Good battery time.
2. Lovely 2D graphics
6. Lots of Pokemon games
9. Lot of original games you haven't already played to death on your home consoles
10. Very pocketable
11. etc etc etc

almost none of those things appeal to me. Bring on the Vita!

hyp

was going to get a vita until the conference and then realized I'm too cheap to pay the premium for games. i'm fine with iOS unless atlus releases a new SMT game on Vita. no interest in 3DS. i'm over the dual screen design.

Fredrik said:

1. Good battery time.
2. Lovely 2D graphics
6. Lots of Pokemon games
10. Very pocketable
11. etc etc etc

Aside from battery life the 3DS is all of those things, or will be

Top Bottom