• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: EA's Ignite "Pre-rendered w/ in game assets"

Didn't see this elsewhere, searched for years.

The footage of EA Sports' Ignite engine shown at today's Xbox One reveal event was pre-rendered using assets from Electronic Arts' next-gen FIFA, Madden, NBA Live and UFC games, says Andrew Wilson, executive vice president of EA Sports.

Asked whether snippets of real-time gameplay were featured in the teaser for FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA Live 14 and EA Sports UFC, Wilson said no and explained the reasoning behind its Xbox One showing.

"It was all pre-rendered," Wilson told Polygon. "Listen, we're not hiding behind that fact. This was an event that we've been planning for a number of months on a new platform. And what we wanted to do was use real game assets, so they're all real game assets, straight out of our game teams, but we had to get it into a format that would be usable in this style of event.

"What I'm really happy to say, though, is that our games right now are delivering on that, and in some cases more," Wilson said, "and we're going to show a lot more of that at E3 in a couple of weeks. And then by the time we get to launch, the sky's the limit of where we get to."

Wilson added that the pre-rendered footage of its four sports titles is "following where our games are going and certainly in line with what we're seeing in our games right now on console."

EA Sports Ignite will power the developer's future games, which EA says "will be alive with players who think, move and behave like real athletes and dynamic living worlds, transforming the way people play and experience games on next-gen consoles."

iHRtVCH.gif

The hits keep on coming.

Amir0x

Banned
"What I'm really happy to say, though, is that our games right now are delivering on that, and in some cases more," Wilson said

God then just fucking show that! Why wait til E3? You guys were like one of the only game showcases of the Xbox One abomination! You had it to yourself! If your engine REALLY delivers on these promises, just friggin' show it!

Bsigg12

Did anyone really expect anything different? Its EA, do you not remember the 2005 Madden render for the 360?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It was obvious to me that it was pre-rendered, and the fact that it really wasn't that impressive anyway was just hilarious.

androvsky

God then just fucking show that! Why wait til E3? You guys were like one of the only game showcases of the Xbox One abomination! You had it to yourself! If your engine REALLY delivers on these promises, just friggin' show it!

Maybe they didn't have time to scrub out the PS4 button prompts?

farisr

So to show off realistic player movement that their new engine is capable of, they pre-render/fake everything that the engine was supposed to be handling. Makes sense.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
MS, trying to outdo Sony from 2005 I guess. Next up, $599.

Madness

Just sad no NHL game was hinted at. The lockout really hurt sales of the last version. But they're really popular in Canada and hockey countries like Russia, Sweden, Finland etc.

UberTag

Can't wait to hear what features are stripped out of these titles for launch so they can make the next-gen cut.

You can't see fine-grain detail from the camera you play the game with, anyway.
Maybe in replays.
I think the best bet is to improve the animations, have way more of them, more organic shifts between them, and it seems they at least are working on that.
But sports will probably be the first to suffer from diminishing returns. They used to benefit greatly from each new generation, but it is definitely slowing down.

If that NBA Live 14 footage was the theoretical best they could strive for using prerenders I shudder to think how horrible the final product is going to be, if it even makes it to shelves.

Kimawolf

Every generation EA does this... Why even bother releasing the pre-rendered bullshit anymore geez. i mean I get it, you want to show something but come on.

i-Lo

Before people get outrageously riled up, one thing to remember that most AAA games with non-interactive cutscene do this.

That said, lying about was fucking pathetic.

Top Bottom