• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now im working out three days day 1 is legs and abs, day 2 is cardio and abs, and day 3 is upper body. If I work out five days and and add an extra leg and upper body day will I get results quicker?

I'm doing low-bar squats. I don't think the position has changed at all, so I don't know how that would explain my legs feeling stiff when getting low in the squat.
You might have to start doing high bar. I actually started on low bar squats a week into SS, but I promptly switched to high bar because my shoulders and wrists ached a lot. I had really limited range of motion in both so it just made squatting more unbearable.

kylej

Banned
Right now im working out three days day 1 is legs and abs, day 2 is cardio and abs, and day 3 is upper body. If I work out five days and and add an extra leg and upper body day will I get results quicker?

no, and if your goal is to get big muscles I don't know why you're dedicating days to cardio and ab work.

If you want a 4 day split do something like

chest
legs
back
shoulders

but keep it short and sweet so you don't burn out.

no, and if your goal is to get big muscles I don't know why you're dedicating days to cardio and ab work.

If you want a 4 day split do something like

chest
legs
back
shoulders

but keep it short and sweet so you don't burn out.

I'm not trying to get too much muscle, trying to get leaner. I was doing gomad with half gallons so I decided to do some cardio to cut back on all the fat I was gaining.

grumble

I'm not trying to get too much muscle, trying to get leaner. I was doing gomad with half gallons so I decided to do some cardio to cut back on all the fat I was gaining.

Cardio helps (and is good for fitness), but if you want to get leaner you don't really need to do it. Just lift heavy and cut calories.

X-Frame

I'd suggest these primary infographics for the major facets of fitness:

Nutrition
Strength
Conditioning
Mobility & Flexibility

In that order.

I'm going to repeat and incorporate current suggestions into my own. The redundancy will add to an eventual consensus so I feel it's necessary.

Nutrition

• You cannot spot-reduce fat.
  • If you eat less calories than your body needs you will lose weight.
  • Given that, the best fat loss program is the one you adhere to.
  • You don't need supplements.
  • Whole foods first.
  • Meal frequency and nutrient timing is less important.
  • Pre-and post-workout nutrition is more important.
  • Your metabolism is not special, you eat too little/too much (pick one).
  • Fasting won't send you into "starvation mode" for 72 hours. Deal with it.
  • You can absorb more than 30 grams of protein in a single sitting.
  • GOMAD and 2DEAD instructions for the skinny bastard.

Training

• You will not become a musclebound superhero on accident.
  • Toning is a bad word. A very, very bad word.
  • The farther you are from your potential the faster your gains can come.
  • Consistency is the key to success in any program.
  • Compound lifts yield the greatest training efficiencies.
  • Keep it simple: push, pull, squat.
  • Build your program around RECOVERY or why you don't need to be in the gym every day.
  • Barbell programming - Starting Strength, Stronglifts, 5/3/1.
  • Programming without a squat rack.
  • Programming with body weight resistance.

Conditioning

• Differences between steady state cardio and HIT.
  • How to get a better 40 meter time.
  • How to run a better 3k/5k/whateverk.
  • If nothing else get off your ass and walk a few miles every day.
  • Hill sprint protocols.
  • Tabata protocols.
  • The myth of "sweat equity" or why you can't outrun your crappy diet.

Mobility & Flexibility

• Why you should never strive for flexibility without strength.
  • Mobility should always have precedence over flexibility.
  • Why stretching doesn't change the length of the muscle or why you really can't do the splits.
  • Don't hyperextend or overstretch your spine, you only get one.
  • Passive stretching for blood circulation and rehabilitation, not as a warm-up.
  • Active stretching for developing flexibility with strength.

Brevity was never my strong point, but this should touch on a majority of the issues/questions that arise (or perhaps should arise) for a beginner first reading this thread.

Awesome post Francis.

Especially the Mobility & Flexibility points.

gdt

I'd suggest these primary infographics for the major facets of fitness:

Conditioning

• Differences between steady state cardio and HIT.
  • How to get a better 40 meter time.
    [*]How to run a better 3k/5k/whateverk.
  • If nothing else get off your ass and walk a few miles every day.
  • Hill sprint protocols.
  • Tabata protocols.
  • The myth of "sweat equity" or why you can't outrun your crappy diet.

Brevity was never my strong point, but this should touch on a majority of the issues/questions that arise (or perhaps should arise) for a beginner first reading this thread.

I'd love to get advice with what I bolded. I need to run 300 meters in 66 seconds soonish (haven't timed myself yet), and need to get working on that asap. Just a few seconds short on my 1.5miles time, so I don't really need advice for that.

LaneDS

Since this thread is much more active than the P90 one, do any P90X vets think it's alright to add some outdoor running in? I'm only a week in, but the last few days I've felt bored and full of energy and kind of just want to get a 3-5 mile run in. Any opinions on that are welcome.

abuC

Not to mention the sugar in peanut butter and bread adds up, too.

And two of them? God, I'd feel miserable for the rest of the day if I ate that shit.

I feel great, I've eaten 2 a day for maybe the last six months and have been losing weight.

Yeah, but adding jelly really defeats the purpose.

41CY%2BCq99SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

grumble

Since this thread is much more active than the P90 one, do any P90X vets think it's alright to add some outdoor running in? I'm only a week in, but the last few days I've felt bored and full of energy and kind of just want to get a 3-5 mile run in. Any opinions on that are welcome.

Personally, I'd avoid it. Recovery is important to that program, and you may find that your progress will be reduced because you've been cramming in lots of extra cardio.

On the other hand, there is a P90X Doubles program which has, so clearly it's an option if you're craving it.

Personally I think that there are better programs out there, but they do require a gym.

ismaboof

Go for it. I did it with P90X+: 5k in the morning, P90X+ after work. I would only say lift before cardio if doing them back-to-back. Running can make your form slopping if you lift heavy.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
205x5 squatting. Feels good man. Gonna stick with that for a week, maybe two, and get my form down pat.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I would change it so that it gives the difference between bodybuilding and strength training, and if you think training for strength should be done prior to an actual bodybuilding routine, explain why.

I feel like there's a lot of people that come in here with mostly aesthetic goals only to get mowed down by people with a different set of priorities. IMO, ideally each section (nutrition/training/other) would be split by goal (cardiovascular fitness/fat loss/hypertrophy/strength/dexterity) with different recommendations depending on what you're going for, with a "general" section beforehand.

Also, a supplementation section would be nice.

gdt

FUCK YES.

Just hit 1.5 miles in 16:22 (need to do 15:56). Not a big deal for some, I know, but huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge for me. Take my police exam on 5/14 and I'll be ready as fuck. Hit or alllllmost hit all the basic requirements.

16:09 this morning! Fuck you concrete!

kylej

Banned
Nothing quite as humbling as crushing your prior PR on military press, only to realize you've got 5x10 waiting for you right after :eek:

grumble

Oh well, weight loss supplements don't work.

Sometimes they can help slightly by moderately suppressing your appetite, but I remember once I read a study about some popular thermogenics and they estimated that they burned about 70 calories extra a day max.

Only weight loss supplements I can think of that are worth a shit are ECA stacks, unless you want to start popping horse tranquilizers.

Frankly, just eat right, cut sugar, and lift heavy. You'll get the body you pretty much want.

Tess3ract

Banned
Sometimes they can help slightly by moderately suppressing your appetite, but I remember once I read a study about some popular thermogenics and they estimated that they burned about 70 calories extra a day max.

Only weight loss supplements I can think of that are worth a shit are ECA stacks, unless you want to start popping horse tranquilizers.

Frankly, just eat right, cut sugar, and lift heavy. You'll get the body you pretty much want.

A dude I know did ec stacks while doing heavy lifting workout of SS and he lost like 70+ pounds in less than a year

BumRush

I appreciate it Grumble.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here's the hill I sprint deadbeef. Round trip is .3 miles, so 10 sprints = 3 mile round trip. 1.5 sprinting, 1.5 walking.

Bottom looking up.
525417_3562480271642_1561902326_3142467_516241661_n.jpg

Top looking down, I go down to my car at the bottom left.

526942_3562471631426_1561902326_3142465_1126012926_n.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's a hill? :p

Where I live, yeah. Anything else and I'd risk being nailed be oncoming traffic. It's probably about 20-30 degrees at its steepest, so I made up for the low grade by its length.

Also, 2d images do shit to represent a hill anyway, so it's "shallowness" is exacerbated by that. If it wasn't a hill it would be flat. :p

abuC

Here's the hill I sprint deadbeef. Round trip is .3 miles, so 10 sprints = 3 mile round trip. 1.5 sprinting, 1.5 walking.

Bottom looking up.

I want to do hill sprints, but the best hill near me is one town over in a rich neighborhood, and Im sure if I go out there and start sprinting up and down the hill within 5 mins cops will be called lol.

A couple of questions.

Tomorrow morning I have a football match and then a few hours later im going to the gym for my leg day. Is that a bad idea to do leg exercises after football?

Also im going clubbing tomorrow night aswell.

Would getting 2-3 hours sleep and drinking all night make my efforts in the gym pointless for that day?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I want to do hill sprints, but the best hill near me is one town over in a rich neighborhood, and Im sure if I go out there and start sprinting up and down the hill within 5 mins cops will be called lol.

May sound stupid coming from a white guy, but I think you should do it anyway. Public property is public property, if the police hassle you, get their badge numbers, names and departments and file a complaint/law suit for civil liberty violations. (This coming from a CJ major). They have absolutely no reason to be suspicious of a black man in running gear running up and down a hill. If they think they do, they are racist ass holes, they might end up looking for a new career (when you inevitably sue their asses).

ChuyMasta

Friday March 2nd
Initial weight 210

Friday March 9th

Friday March 16th

Friday March 23rd

Whoops. One pound seeped back in.

I did slack this week.
Here's my excuses:

Tuesday
I started working over time again so I didn't get back home till 5:00pm. I cooked and by 6:30 I got so tired I decided to take a nap. Ended up waking up at 8:30. Fuck it, no gym.

Friday
Last day before spring break. Friends and I got together to make some plans. Went over to a bar, had several drinks. NO GYM!

So yeah...on the other side, I am starting to feel like I can do more while I am at the gym. I increased some weight and started jogging more at higher speeds. Machine's saying I am now in the cardio zone rather than the weight loss zone (Based on heart beat)
I'll ask my partner if I should stick to the weight loss zone or if I'll get benefits by doing cardio.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Whoops. One pound seeped back in.

I did slack this week.
Here's my excuses:

Tuesday
I started working over time again so I didn't get back home till 5:00pm. I cooked and by 6:30 I got so tired I decided to take a nap. Ended up waking up at 8:30. Fuck it, no gym.

Friday
Last day before spring break. Friends and I got together to make some plans. Went over to a bar, had several drinks. NO GYM!

So yeah...on the other side, I am starting to feel like I can do more while I am at the gym. I increased some weight and started jogging more at higher speeds. Machine's saying I am now in the cardio zone rather than the weight loss zone (Based on heart beat)
I'll ask my partner if I should stick to the weight loss zone or if I'll get benefits by doing cardio.

Quit watching your weight on the scale. Instead, look in the mirror and the fit of your clothes.

I've been lifting for about a year and a half, went from 38 jeans being tight to absolutely NEEDING a belt for 36 jeans. My face has thinned down a lot, my strength has gone through the roof, and I look great (and getting better every day) right now. The entire time I've remained 240-242.

balddemon

Banned
ugh.

album: http://imgur.com/a/Usn7j#0

viper that pulled up and left while i was there
iCukd.jpg

looking up the hill
ugv9B.jpg

looking out from the top of the hill
RGDx4.jpg

looking down the hill. i run from that smaller tree on the right, to where i took this picture, then walk to the right and down a shorter part of the hill. then back over to the tree and then kill myself again
cBtI8.jpg

ChuyMasta

Quit watching your weight on the scale. Instead, look in the mirror and the fit of your clothes.

I've been lifting for about a year and a half, went from 38 jeans being tight to absolutely NEEDING a belt for 36 jeans. My face has thinned down a lot, my strength has gone through the roof, and I look great (and getting better every day) right now. The entire time I've remained 240-242.

I like that idea. That is some discipline you got there man. I'd love to keep posting in here a year after.

My first month will come in a week. I'll take some clothes out of the closet. I used to be comfortable on a size 34 jeans....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I like that idea. That is some discipline you got there man. I'd love to keep posting in here a year after.

My first month will come in a week. I'll take some clothes out of the closet. I used to be comfortable on a size 34 jeans....

At some point it's not discipline, it's habit. If you stick with it, lifting/fitness will become a part of you and shit won't "feel" right if you're not doing it. That's not to say that it ever becomes easy. It's always hard work.

kylej

Banned
At some point it's not discipline, it's habit. If you stick with it, lifting/fitness will become a part of you and shit won't "feel" right if you're not doing it. That's not to say that it ever becomes easy. It's always hard work.

Agree with this. The hardest part is the first 3 or so months when you're figuring shit out, not seeing dramatic results, and it's not part of your lifestyle yet. After that it's cake. I still get antsy the night before a lifting day cause I'm so hyped to hit the gym early in the morning. It's weird.

TheFatOne

Man I'm feeling great right now. When I started I weighed 325, and right now I weigh 250lbs. I seriously cannot remember the last time I was this weight. All of my lifts have gone up except for my bench press. At first I was disappointed that my bench has gone no where for a month, but since everything else is going up I got over it. My only problem right now is working on my cardio. I just have not been as consistent with my cardio.

Deadlifts 1x5 285 lbs
Squats 3x5 235 lbs
Bench 3x5 145 lbs
Power Cleans 5x3 110 lbs (I think I could add another 10-15 lbs, but I'm working on form)
Overhead Press 3x5 110 lbs

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys what is the best exercise to flatten the stomach? I'm talking about the part under the six-pack. I'm not sure why but I noticed today that my stomach is bulging (yet I'm only 140, so I gained just a few pounds over the past month). I want to flatten that thing pronto!

kehs

Banned
Guys what is the best exercise to flatten the stomach? I'm talking about the part under the six-pack. I'm not sure why but I noticed today that my stomach is bulging (yet I'm only 140, so I gained just a few pounds over the past month). I want to flatten that thing pronto!
Intake less sugars, and pelvic thrusts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I eat no sugar, I eat very healthy. In fact, over the past month I've gained more muscle mass, I'm more fit than ever. Not sure what happened really. It almost looks like it's full of air.

I'll do crunches and reverse crunches I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom