• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings Review Thread

drakesfortune said:
Is fate of Atlantis an unlock on the PSP version as well?

Why pple keep asking for games that wont work well with these type of controllers???do oyu really think Fate of Atlantis will play better on the psp? Its like the same with the remake of monkey island 1. The guy who decided to put it on the 360 should deserve a dumb prize award or something.....

parabolee

EDarkness said:
Hmmm... you had me until...
What the hell does being on the 360/PS3 mean? Seems to me you're only upset about the graphics. Yeah, yeah. I read what you said, but your complaint comes back to the graphics side of things.
My point of asking for a true nextgen game was because the Indy PS3/360 game that was cancelled was a different and more ambitious game. This game feels very last gen, GAMEPLAY-wise!

Apparently you ignored everything I said and focused on the criticism of the graphics so you could claim that's all I care about. The fact is Emperors Tomb PLAYS like a great game and Staff of Kings plays like an average one at best. And after 6 years SoK feels like an older game than Emperors Tomb.

But yes I DO think it is also worth mentioning that this game looks worse than a game 6 years older than it! But if the game played well the graphics would not change that it was a great game. However it is NOT a great game!

What annoys me more are the animations. Indy's run has him leaning so far farward he looks like he's trying to win a sprint race. And Indy has no walk. You push a direction with the analogue and he runs, no matter how much you push it. That feels very last gen.

And to the guy who posted my avatar, I'm a big Perfect Dark fan, you got a problem with that? Perfect Dark on the N64 is one of my favourite games of al time and I still play it often, despite it's N64 graphics. SO how are you relating that to this discussion? Because I use a concept render from PDZ?

But as I said in my original post, other than the characters and animations, this is pretty nice looking Wii game. The environments and lighting is very impressive. Doesn't save it from being B- game though.

parabolee said:
My point of asking for a true nextgen game was because the Indy PS3/360 game that was cancelled was a different and more ambitious game. This game feels very last gen, GAMEPLAY-wise!
Because PS360 games play SO much differently than last-gen games :lol Just admit you're a graphics whore and move on.

parabolee said:
And to the guy who posted my avatar, I'm a big Perfect Dark fan, you got a problem with that? Perfect Dark on the N64 is one of my favourite games of al time and I still play it often, despite it's N64 graphics. SO how are you relating that to this discussion? Because I use a concept render from PDZ?

But as I said in my original post, other than the characters and animations, this is pretty nice looking Wii game. The environments and lighting is very impressive. Doesn't save it from being B- game though.

I'm a huge fan of PD, but PDZ was an abomination. Just thought it was ironic, with your implication that the next true Indy game must be on 360/PS3, as if it could not be achieved on the Wii.

RobbieNick

Just rented it. Played up to halfway through China.

High points:

The game does have a good cinematic quality to it.

The graphics are pretty good for the Wii. Indy's facial expressions are well done.

Indy's voice. Sounds identical to Harrison Ford.

Gameplay can be fun and arcade-like at times.

Whip controls are as awesome as you'd expect.

Grab and smash system taken straight out of the Godfather game.

Low points:

Almost everything is gesture based. It get's a little ridiculous at times.

Speaking of, why such complicated fighting controls? Jab forward for punch, swing left/right for hooks, swing up for uppercuts? The is Indiana Jones not Wii boxing. All I want is either swing left or swing right.

Tutorials stop the game play dead. "Hey kid, it's your old pal Indy! I'm gonna take a half hour to show you 600 ways to fight Natzis!"

Outside of that, I am enjoying the game. But I'd pick it up used or at a price drop.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Bluemercury said:
Why pple keep asking for games that wont work well with these type of controllers???do oyu really think Fate of Atlantis will play better on the psp? Its like the same with the remake of monkey island 1. The guy who decided to put it on the 360 should deserve a dumb prize award or something.....

Fate of Atlantis is playable via SCUMMVM on the PSP, and it works just fine...

Bluth54

teruterubozu said:
Sears had the Wii version for $29.99, but now it's back up today.
Yeah I ordered it from Sears while it was $30 and I got the following email today:

Dear Valued Customer:

We are writing to you to let you know that your order for the Indiana
Jones Wii game was accidentally cancelled due to a pricing error. Your
credit card was initially charged for the order and will be credited due
to the order cancellation.

We wanted to let you know due to our mistake we will be sending you the
game at no charge.

Thanks again for your business. We truly appreciate it.

Sears Customer Care

It shipped from Kansas, so I got my free copy from UPS today. :D

gamingeek

IGN review

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings has all the makings of a quality action game. A newly conceived, adventure-filled plot that takes franchise hero Indy around the globe in search of a priceless artifact. Linear, but entertaining levels overrun with enemies to fight and mild environmental puzzles to solve. There are all sorts of unlockables, a tailor-made cooperative mode, and more. And rounding out the experience are some stylized visuals complemented by a host of graphic effects. Yet, it's clear that LucasArts and development studio A2M (Iron Man, Wii) have no idea how to use Nintendo's controller.

Strange they question the motion controls so much. In fact the gamesradar review posted above says:

"The combat also embodies the spirit of the films, and for the most part involves highly enjoyable man-punching, with the ability to pick up tools and make use of your surroundings. The Nunchuk’s your left fist, the remote your right. You can dish out jabs and hooks, dodge blows, grapple and throw people, and chuck anything littering the environment at enemies’ heads. Your trusty whip will also bring bookcases and the like down on enemy heads, offing them in one crushing swoop. It’s great fun, reminiscent of a number of fights from the films, and with masterful use of motion controls."

And the IGN UK says of the combat controls:

It's easy to scoff a game that embraces motion controls with such first-generation gusto but LucasArts seems to have done a grand job marrying physical movement to onscreen action in a way that successfully heightens immersion rather than detracts through pointless gimmickry.

It's most evident in Staff of Kings surprisingly rounded combat system. Fighting's been designed around brawling, with an emphasis on using your wits - and the environment - to even the odds against you.

While controls suffered from occasional unresponsiveness during our demo, the overall effect is surprisingly visceral and immensely satisfying.

gamingeek said:
IGN review

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings has all the makings of a quality action game. A newly conceived, adventure-filled plot that takes franchise hero Indy around the globe in search of a priceless artifact. Linear, but entertaining levels overrun with enemies to fight and mild environmental puzzles to solve. There are all sorts of unlockables, a tailor-made cooperative mode, and more. And rounding out the experience are some stylized visuals complemented by a host of graphic effects. Yet, it's clear that LucasArts and development studio A2M (Iron Man, Wii) have no idea how to use Nintendo's controller.

Strange they question the motion controls so much. In fact the gamesradar review posted above says:

"The combat also embodies the spirit of the films, and for the most part involves highly enjoyable man-punching, with the ability to pick up tools and make use of your surroundings. The Nunchuk’s your left fist, the remote your right. You can dish out jabs and hooks, dodge blows, grapple and throw people, and chuck anything littering the environment at enemies’ heads. Your trusty whip will also bring bookcases and the like down on enemy heads, offing them in one crushing swoop. It’s great fun, reminiscent of a number of fights from the films, and with masterful use of motion controls."

And the IGN UK says of the combat controls:

It's easy to scoff a game that embraces motion controls with such first-generation gusto but LucasArts seems to have done a grand job marrying physical movement to onscreen action in a way that successfully heightens immersion rather than detracts through pointless gimmickry.

It's most evident in Staff of Kings surprisingly rounded combat system. Fighting's been designed around brawling, with an emphasis on using your wits - and the environment - to even the odds against you.

While controls suffered from occasional unresponsiveness during our demo, the overall effect is surprisingly visceral and immensely satisfying.
Yeah Cassamassassina seems all over the place when it comes to his opinions on motion controls.

XGoldenboyX

The IGN is quite rough..

It’s true that having the options to have a traditional button layout for fighting would have been great as well.. I find it hard to beleave that this guy was having such hard time with the controls.. Even my 8 year old plays this game without a problem…

On the bright side, they like the Single player veriety and great graphics and sound!

McHuj

Played about two hours of the DS version. I was really, really disappointed. I hate this game.

The stylus controls suck.

The cypher puzzle box is horrible as well. I hate having to redo entire puzzles because of a single mistake. This is very tedious and down right punishing.

Also, any DS games that requires you to blow into the microphone can fuck off.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Did Lucasarts buy Comedy Central for the evening or something? I swear i've seen an advert for this game just about every commercial break for the last five hours or so (sometimes they play it twice per break)

Game looks fun.

Lots of Nintendo commercials on CC tonight, actually. Tiger Woods, the Conduit, and of course Indy galore.

EDarkness

nincompoop said:
Yeah Cassamassassina seems all over the place when it comes to his opinions on motion controls.

I get this feeling that these days he doesn't want any motion controls at all. It's good to see games like this come out as it will help companies refine the controls. Even so, most reviews I've read say the game controls fine overall. Not sure what version he was playing.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
EDarkness said:
I get this feeling that these days he doesn't want any motion controls at all. It's good to see games like this come out as it will help companies refine the controls. Even so, most reviews I've read say the game controls fine overall. Not sure what version he was playing.

I get the sense that he wants stuff that's polished and not like the 1st gen of Wii games, even if it's mostly workable. He really gushes about motion controls when it works well.

EDarkness

BorkBork said:
I get the sense that he wants stuff that's polished and not like the 1st gen of Wii games, even if it's mostly workable. He really gushes about motion controls when it works well.

I guess I read his complaint as too much motion. I don't see a problem with having to do a bit of work to actually play the game. Just seems to me that he wanted to just tap some buttons. To each his own, I guess.

D.Lo

Can't help myself with Indy games (or indie games for that matter...) and picked this up.

I'm a couple of hours in, it's pretty fun, but also unpolished. The controls aren't a write off, you can bash your way through fine, but they are overdone and not very well thought out. A No More Heroes 'button plus motion finisher' system would have been much, much better.

Graphically it's like a good looking PS2 game, which seems about all you can hope for in a 3rd party Wii game. Emperor's Tomb does not look better, I put it on next to it (Xbox version), and both have the same last-gen jarring transitions between animations. What's sad is that I also got the Japanese release of Metroid Prime 1 for Wii today, and it looks a generation better graphically, sigh.

Still, I loved Emperor's Tomb, even though it was a buggy mess. So far this looks to be about on par with it, maybe a little below. I thought the voice actor in ET sounded better then this one.

EDarkness

I was going to post this in the other thread, but I think this is the "official" thread.

I got around to finishing the game yesterday and I found it rather enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, there is no way this is a big budget game and it's fairly linear in its scope. Still, I liked the fights and the gunplay was fun, but I couldn't help but wonder how the game would have turned out if a top notch group worked on it. Not being able to use the gun at anytime was kind of annoying and some of the puzzles were a little difficult to figure out at first. But the game reminds me of the original Tomb Raider more than an Indy game which is fine.

The motions were pretty good, as well. I don't understand how they can be considered "overused", considering this is the Wii we're talking about. They should have taken more pages from The Godfather and made the game more of an open world kinda game where you can choose where to go and solve puzzles along the way. Maybe that's something they can look at next time. One can't help but think that this was a cash in game and that they just didn't want to spend a lot of money to make it the best they could.

All that said, I still had fun. It's one of the few games I've actually beaten in recent months, so that's saying something. I don't think it was the best game by any stretch of the imagination, but there was just something cool about beating down bastids. Flaws or no, I'm glad I picked it up.

I'm working on Fate of Atlantis now. Never got a chance to play it back in the day. Seems pretty fun so far, but playing it just makes me wish for Full Throttle. :D

oracrest

I made an alternate cover insert for those Fate of Atlantis fans out there. I love that they are starting to release teh old adventure games on the Wii!

(does anyone know a free place I could upload a picture of this size?)

indy_cover.jpg

Dragmire

oracrest said:
I made an alternate cover insert for those Fate of Atlantis fans out there. I love that they are starting to release teh old adventure games on the Wii!

(does anyone know a free place I could upload a picture of this size?)

http://www.modelforge.com/misc/indy_cover.jpg
It's like The Staff of Kings is just an overly complex front-end for Fate of Atlantis?

When I see the game wedged in the bottom of Walmart's bargain trough, I'll pick it up.

oracrest

Boerseun said:
That background graphic on the rear cover is skew and oddly clipped at the bottom. Otherwise, nice work! :D

yeah, I got a little lazy on that part, but I went back and adjusted it, should look better now, thanks!!

Mollymauk

It's puzzing that there are so few reviews of the PSP sku. It's a separate title, not a port of the Wii game, and from all appearances seems to be the best of the bunch.

Shame that it's getting ignored like this.

oracrest

I am now a few hours into Fate of Atlantis again. I forget most of the game, so it's fun having to figure it out again, and the art is better than I remember, practically every screen is a new landscape painting!

I hope they release more adventure games for the Wii (especially kyrandia series!!)

indy1.gif

indy2.gif

indy3.gif

norm-4a34f9fcce262-IndianaJonesAndT.jpg

The Wii version is $20 at Best Buy now. Seems to be a sale though, not a universal price drop.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...kings&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218081089997

$18 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RERN30/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got it today from Best Buy. I like it so far. It's not perfect, but it is fun. The context-sensitive stuff won't phase anyone as much if they're used to the Smackdown games like I am. Controlling an airplane with the Wiimote has proven to be tricky though. Not impossible, but not easy either.

Fate of Atlantis looks gorgeous. No mention of it anywhere on the box though, which is odd. Surely, that would lead to some extra sales. It certainly did for me.

I picked it up for $20 at wal-mart, maybe this is more of a universal drop.

The game itself is fun enough so far, definitely worth $20.

donny2112

Kyleripman said:
I picked it up for $20 at wal-mart, maybe this is more of a universal drop.

It's universal. I got it from Amazon for $20 with Apollo Justice for $21. Haven't started playing it, yet. For now, it goes in the backlog.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
It's universal. I got it from Amazon for $20 with Apollo Justice for $21. Haven't started playing it, yet. For now, it goes in the backlog.

Finished it now. It was a pretty fun game for $20. It played like an Indiana Jones movie (mix of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade, not Crystal Skull). In fact, they would've probably done better to make this game's story into Indiana Jones 4 instead of what they did. :lol I collected all the Fortunes, and with two missing, you can unlock playing as
Han Solo
. It's good that LucasArts owns all the IPs there. :D

Graphics were late last-gen GameCube, which is better than average on Wii. I liked that the instructions were not controller generic and that they were voiced by the Indiana Jones sound-alike. He sort of talks you through learning the ins and outs of how to play the game. Not too long, but that's a plus. The gameplay isn't deep enough to spend forever in this game. Like the Staff of Kings item that they're searching for, too. Another Biblical reference, and those were the better movies, in my opinion.

Motion controls use the AILive tech, so they're pretty spot on. There isn't much fighting (thankfully), and that's where most of the on-the-fly motion control stuff comes in. The other stuff is usually context sensitive, so it doesn't miss much. For fighting, you'll probably end up throwing items, whipping adversaries, and dodging brutes more than anything else, and those typically go off without a hitch. You're not likely to get in a situation where you really need to make the game tell the difference between a left jab and a left uppercut. :lol

I probably won't get to playing Fate of Atlantis, but there's that for replayability. There's also Co-op (separate scenario, but didn't get to try it out) and local multi-player combat (e.g. tanks, planes).

If you're an Indiana Jones fan and want a weekend play-through for a new movie story, I'd recommend picking this up for $20 or renting it. A good 7.5, in my opinion.

donny2112 said:
If you're an Indiana Jones fan and want a weekend play-through for a new movie story, I'd recommend picking this up for $20 or renting it. A good 7.5, in my opinion.

Lttp -
I just finished a personal Indiana Jones Movie Marathon over the past week. Incidentally, Crystal Skull is much, much, worse if you watch it right after Last Crusade. But anyway, I picked this up on a lark while under the effects of an Indiana Jones fever. I followed donny2112's advice and basically agree completely - that last sentence is perfect.

GOTY? No. 7.5 is about right. The hand-keyed player animations are not all that great but get the job done. The puzzles range from "Hm. That was pretty clever." to "Jesus. What am I an asshole?" Graphically it's fairly impressive for the Wii. One thing that's kind of a shame is the fighting. Not that it isn't fun - but it's obvious that a lot of work went into the motion controls for different punches, and being able to hit guys with objects. I quickly found that grappling and banking bad guys into a wall got me through those sequences faster than any awkward flailing. The animation and sound for that move is pretty hilarious as well which helped.

Having said all of that - couple things that I think put this game in the "underrated" category, and are worth checking out if you like Indy, or, linear action games: The music - someone who loves John Williams' music was in charge of choosing what track goes where here. Also, the new, original music is great. It has the feel, but not the resonance of a John Williams score, I think they just needed a bigger orchestra.

The other thing that I thought was well executed was the gameplay variety and the pacing. Somehow I didn't mind that I was in a scripted scene for the shootouts, it felt right for an Indiana Jones game, as did the various chases where you were locked into a shootout with enemies while on a vehicle. It just works. At first I wished they were longer, but then I realized, they might've gotten stale.

So what would've made this a memorable game?
  • I think making the artifacts a little more intriguing, and harder to get, would've gone a long way. Make them intrinsic to the environment.
  • The office menu was great, and has sort of a Mafia feel, but menu navigation is kind of weird because of the icons. Just make arrows out of those things that should be arrows, instead of footprints.
  • Give the player a few different ways to complete a quest. Speech and stealth are simply omitted here in favor of fisticuffs. Alternatively - just give the player stealth 'takedowns', like the sub pen guard in Raiders, where Indy steals his uniform. Disguised gameplay would be sick.

Usually I hate linear games, but I found myself playing this game for hours at a time, in part because of my Indy fever, in part because no one's done better with the license lately. If you can't spare the 20 bucks, and you're an Indiana Jones nerd like myself, throw it into your gamefly, I think you'll have some fun for a weekend.

Top Bottom