• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

MafM2TL.png

eihoYZm.jpg

DsqnA2h.jpg

XdjEkyK.jpg

Qf2Kf5L.png

ItqneD2.jpg

KoT9Wnw.jpg

FyJlHjL.jpg

4l1V78E.jpg

GAF-Authored Guides
Written a guide or have a useful link you want to share? Send it via Private Message to Retro and I’ll add it to the list.
GAF Streams
Do you stream Guild Wars 2 often? Please PM me a link to your channel and I'll add it to the list.
Previous OTs

Ashodin

ASapZjh.jpg

GUILD POLICIES
BAN POLICIES:
Short Version: We might insta-kick you just to stop certain behavior, but we will always address problems on a one-on-one basis and issue warnings.
Warnings:
Depending on the severity of the issue, a warning will likely be issued. All warnings are recorded in a private document all officers have access to where they can be tracked and discussed. A warning carries no penalties, it just means we asked you to stop something and will notice if you keep doing it.

Guild Removal:
In most cases, an officer will contact the member and address the situation. In rare cases, to immediately stop any major disruption, a member will be removed right away (for example, to stop a heated argument in guild chat). Removals are not necessarily permanent, as once the situation is resolved the member will be welcome back.

Repeat offenders may be banned permanently, from the guild and/or the Mumble server. Being banned at one does not necessarily mean being banned at all (some people are just disruptive in Mumble, others on the site, etc.)​

DRAMA POLICIES:
Short Version: Don't be a dick. No Hate speech!
Note: Please keep in mind our drama policy extends to Map and Say chat, where your behavior may reflect negatively on GAF as a whole. [GAF] is pretty well known amongst the guilds on our server and we have a good relationship with most of them. We would like to keep it this way.
Swearing / Language
We have no official restriction on language, as everyone in GAFGuild is expected to be old enough to have a GAF Account. We want it to be a place where GAFers can hang out and relax. That said, personal insults of any kind will not be tolerated, and all homophobic / sexist / racist comments/jokes will receive a warning. Sexually explicit conversation should probably be kept to whispers.

Trolling
If we notice a member is actively baiting or antagonizing others, we'll come down on it. Nobody should be subject to intentional harassment or annoyance while playing.

Excessive Negativity
The game is not perfect, and we want people to discuss all aspects of the game both positive and negative. However, we don't want habitual complaints and/or negativity to create an unpleasant atmosphere in the game. As such, members who are consistently negative to the point where it disrupts chat will generally receive a warning to be more constructive or take it to the forums where it is not disrupting the gameplay experience of other members.

"Other" Issues
No policy can predict the multitude of ways in which players will behave, so from time to time we may update the policy to address certain issues which we would like to discourage. They are as follows;
  • Please do not sell dungeon runs to guild mates. If you want to take the risk of selling a dungeon run to other players, that's your business, but your guild mates are not a built-in market for your bullshit.
CULLING POLICIES
Short Version: Sometimes we need to make space in the guild, if you got kicked just ask to be re-invited.
What is Culling?
Guild Wars 2 currently has a cap of 500 accounts per guild. Due to the large size of the GAF community, to get as many active players into the main guild as possible we often kick a large number of inactive players from the guild. We refer to this as "Culling" and despite claims to the contrary, has never been personal or motivated by reasons other than simple house keeping.

How do you determine who is Active?
We simply make use of the game's "Last Online" feature and remove large chunks of players who have not played since a certain date (usually folks who haven't played in the last 3-4 months). Our policy has always been that active players who were accidentally kicked are probably active enough to notice, while those who are away from the game will never notice if they're not logging in in the first place. We will generally post in the OT when we're going to be removing inactive players just in case someone wants to make sure they aren't removed.

I've been kicked out! What do I do?!
Relax. Don't take it personally. Whisper any of the officers or post in the OT to get re-invited immediately.​

GUILD BANK POLICIES
Short Version: Bank items are first come-first serve.
The Guild Bank currently has 3 tabs; the Guild Stash (50 slot), Treasure Trove (100 slot) and Deep Cave (100 slot).

The Guild Stash is available for all players on a first-come-first-serve basis. Items you leave in the bank can and will be taken out by any player. This also includes money! If you wish to donate directly to the guild, please deposit it into the Deep Cave or mail it directly to an officer.

The Treasure Trove is used for the Guild Lottery (including lottery prizes) and any extra items. If you see any item you would like, ask; chances are nobody is keeping it for any particular reason.

The Deep Cave is deposit-only and is used by the officers, to keep items that are intended to benefit the entire guild. This is usually high-end crafting materials, potions, or holiday items. This is also where we keep the transfer fund, used to help players transfer from non-SBI servers (preferably those who are not in the NA Datacenter).​

IAkyjPC.jpg

OAE8uXF.jpg

Zjq5vi6.jpg

REVISED AND UPDATED LINKS ABOVE!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
rytlock is a revenant and cant see shit haha lol

also piccy of me ready for launch cant wait

hj9iAhI.jpg

Femto.

Wow, awesome OT!

Looking forward to rerolling as a Revenant, maining a thief is no longer fun for me.
I have more fun with my alts now lol

That new OT smell.

SlPwE8p.jpg

Game's come a hell of a long way, from wonky difficulty curves to broken Personal Story chains to a complete overhaul of the levelling experience from 1 to 80 and now, a totally new camera system to make it more of the action game it was always trying to be. But I think all the changes were for the better, personally.

I hope the next 3 years are as good as the previous 3.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Brilliant OT.

Need to get a character to max before I purchase HoT, least then it might be on sale!

Wait the game is free now? How does that work?

You download it, install it, and play. If you like what the game is doing, support it via the cosmetic purchases (but you don't have to spend real money there either, you can save up in-game gold and buy it that way). There are a few restrictions on F2P accounts (mostly to prevent spamming, nothing gameplay related).

Arcteryx

Nice OT!

Looking forward to Revenant (going in without playing it yet). Been on a long break from the game, but looks like HoT will be GLORIOUS.

Ashodin

Heart of Thorns is adding raiding, as well as mastery tracks to make your character feel more "powerful" by being able to traverse areas you couldn't before, learn new lore and get access to hidden things other players couldn't, etc.

One of the best masteries they're adding is auto-loot through the Tyria line.

You go to the website and download it. Base game restrictions apply, but the entire content experience is free to play. The only "paid" upgrade is Heart of Thorns.

You download it, install it, and play. If you like what the game is doing, support it via the cosmetic purchases (but you don't have to spend real money there either, you can save up in-game gold and buy it that way). There are a few restrictions on F2P accounts (mostly to prevent spamming, nothing gameplay related).

Oh wow, sounds pretty good. I'll give it a try!

Emitan

Amazing OT

God I'm so mad. I just found 4 vision crystals in a random character's inventory. I've been grinding SW all week to make those ;-;

Retro

For those who are curious, here's some of the references I used / edited / drew over for the OT, in case it's triggering some nostalgia but you're not sure why;
Cover: http://i.imgur.com/ASbXYAu.jpg
Catalog Clipping: http://i.imgur.com/1ybZLPU.jpg

And here's the full OT without the page / crayon effects since people asked for a colorable version in the past; http://imgur.com/a/2zNxK

It's tempting to get back to this just to play with the GAF guild again.

If you already own the game there's no reason not to. You won't be able to tinker with a lot of the new stuff, but you'll have access to our Guild Hall, a bunch of the updates to the old world, and because there's no level cap increase / gear tier, the original game's content is still relevant to all players.

That new OT smell.

SlPwE8p.jpg

Game's come a hell of a long way, from wonky difficulty curves to broken Personal Story chains to a complete overhaul of the levelling experience from 1 to 80 and now, a totally new camera system to make it more of the action game it was always trying to be. But I think all the changes were for the better, personally.

I hope the next 3 years are as good as the previous 3.

Adorable, thanks <3.

Good job on the OT! I'm torn whether or not to go back to Guild Wars 2 for this. It's tempting...

If you already own it, there's nothing stopping you except bandwidth. If you like where the game is at now (a LOT has changed since launch!) you can decide to take the expansion plunge.

Phazon

Yay, more color books.

Still losing it at 'Rytlock is Revenant now and can't see shit'

Time for a nap and let's hope that the severs are able to handle the launch ^^

Wallach

Work is going to eat up a bunch of my play time tomorrow, but I'm ready to finally put my Twilight to use on the Necro.

Mxrz

Making last minute ascended junk. The gold flows downwards, never upwards.

Some people were saying the new dat is 32gb, but not entirely sure I believe that. Sitting on 22gb like always still.

Wonder if we'll get early patch notes? Maybe hide the sekrit crafting stuff to keep from people borking the tp.

How does raiding work with 10 people without a dedicated tank or system of aggro? Any videos of beta raiding?

Destiny manages it well, so I imagine GW2 shouldn't have a problem. I imagine that like in Destiny, the raids in GW2 will be predominantly about learning the mechanics, and then figuring out how best to apply the grouping you have to it. The "soft trinity" is still there, and works as intended I feel (and I've run the Fractals enough to say that with no small conviction). Everything else is just managing the fights, knowing the boss mechanics, and working as a team (combo fields, Aegis, the new Chronomancer skills that speed everyone's skills up, etc).

Not played GW2 since 6 months after release, do I jump back in?

You still have your account, so why not check it out and see what's changed?

Retro

Wait the game is free now? How does that work?

Others have already answered you, but here's a list of the restrictions Free vs. Paid players have: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

The short version is; fewer character / bag slots and restrictions on chat (mostly to keep spammers in check). A few game modes are also level-gated because free characters could cause havoc (for example, draining supply or manipulating siege in WvW by having an alt account to play for a different server).

How does raiding work with 10 people without a dedicated tank or system of aggro? Any videos of beta raiding?

When a bunch of us got on during the last Beta, as near as we could tell the player with the highest Toughness score had aggro pretty reliably, but that's just the first fight and we don't know for sure what's going to gain aggro later. In the existing game, it's everything from who's standing closest to who's attacking the most. Some bosses go after people who are weak, others get positively PO'd when someone tries to revive a downed player. I expect raiding will be much the same.

Our experience in Beta was more "Worry about all the crazy stuff going on during the fight" than "Worry about who has aggro."

Not played GW2 since 6 months after release, do I jump back in?

No time like the present, since the core game was made free the already busy game has been positively jumping, and the Halloween content starts tomorrow too.

Damn, have to wait till payday because I forgot.

Is there a separate download or have we already downloaded it?

You've already downloaded it, if your client is up to date. Though some data will probably only come out via patch tomorrow. But it's the same client regardless.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Good lord. That OP. Amazing.

I've always wanted to get into Guild Wars 2... Alas, no time!

GJS

Just brought the expansion as saw a good UK price. I haven't paid much attention over the past few months so should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom