• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It was never intended to be an OT for its launch - while I'd love to do that, I already knew that's being made by someone else. I just wanted it to look good and I guess I may have gone a bit overboard?.

It looks too much like an OT, because well, it's got everything an OT would.

Generally, the community hyped for the gangregate in a specific thread (usually a beta thread, etc) until the OT opens a few hours before the game launches.

The threads you mentioned have a different theme to them, so it has to be titled and LOOK like a regular discussion thread. Titles like "What are you looking forward to the most in Neir" Why is Neir a must-buy for you? "Who else is hyped for Neir" would work, but you have to follow up in the OP with comments and examples/images facts that are specific to your title and leave it at that.

tl;dr, you're thread looked like and read like an OT, with all of the info of an OT, so be general and stick to specific topic/theme.

tl;dr, you're thread looked like and read like an OT, with all of the info of an OT, so be general and stick to specific topic/theme.

A good deal of the text in my thread is aiming to convince people to buy the game, rather than be an OT for it. The Trailer/Gallery/GIF etc sections are simply to provide material from the game to that end.

What information should be removed for the thread to be unlocked?

It's odd - I went through the Gravity Rush and Yakuza hype threads and specifically took notes on what they mentioned, then placed that same information (header-wise) for NieR into mine. I honestly don't know why the line was drawn here, when neither of those previous threads have been locked.

If it's simply a matter of removing "OT" information, let me know how much it needs to be dumbed down and it'll happen.

The threads you mentioned have a different theme to them, so it has to be titled and LOOK like a regular discussion thread. Titles like "What are you looking forward to the most in Neir" Why is Neir a must-buy for you? "Who else is hyped for Neir" would work, but you have to follow up in the OP with comments and examples/images facts that are specific to your title and leave it at that.

As mentioned above, it has the same title (barring the game name) and theme as the Gravity Rush 2 thread which remained un-closed until an actual OT existed. I directly copied much of the format from that too. (How to convince people to try the game, what to cover, etc.)

This one was locked simply because it looked too official in comparison? Surely it can be kept open until an actual OT is made? I can put a disclaimer saying it's not an OT, if it's really that important.

EDIT (2/4/2017): Due to lack of response from all parties involved, I am reposting the thread with added emphasis on its purpose (Awareness) and its status as a NON-OT Thread.

If anything still needs to be removed to make it more 'specific', please let me know here.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
A good deal of the text in my thread is aiming to convince people to buy the game, rather than be an OT for it. The Trailer/Gallery/GIF etc sections are simply to provide material from the game to that end.

It's odd - I went through the Gravity Rush and Yakuza hype threads and specifically took notes on what they mentioned, then placed that same information (header-wise) for NieR into mine. I honestly don't know why the line was drawn here, when neither of those previous threads have been locked.

If it's simply a matter of removing "OT" information, let me know how much it needs to be dumbed down and it'll happen.

As mentioned above, it has the same title (barring the game name) and theme as the Gravity Rush 2 thread which remained un-closed until an actual OT existed. I directly copied much of the format from that too. (How to convince people to try the game, what to cover, etc.)

This one was locked simply because it looked too official in comparison? Surely it can be kept open until an actual OT is made? I can put a disclaimer saying it's not an OT, if it's really that important.

EDIT (2/4/2017): Due to lack of response from all parties involved, I am reposting the thread with added emphasis on its purpose (Awareness) and its status as a NON-OT Thread.

If anything still needs to be removed to make it more 'specific', please let me know here.

Thread got locked again. Considering you did not get juniored after this 2nd attempt basically means do not push your luck again a third time.

It should be pretty obvious why it got locked the first time. Putting it up again a 2nd time was not the smartest idea esp when you did not get any sort of response back from the mods.

There is not much we can do here for you as its something you will need to work out with the mods. As its their decision on what does / does not stay open.

Mediking

I'll chime in since I happen to be here right now. The OT I cared most about was the Xenoblade 3D OT. That involved digging up all the available ancillary materials such as Iwata Asks interviews, music performances, gameplay tips/breakdowns/user guides from the original release and anticipating FAQs that did come up concerning the re-release and game in general.

For an OT for a new release like my Xenoblade X OT, it was more about maintaining and updating it with tips and info from players in the thread after going through the similar research basic FAQ material. The player-tip updates can be seen in OT2. Both OTs were very very active and lively at the time so keeping up with them can be really really time consuming. Especially if you hadn't have much time to play the game yourself yet and don't want to get spoiled accidentally :)

In general, most of the work in OTs that I happen to make goes into collecting info one might want to know before or upon getting the game and getting it right. Later, it becomes about maintaining it with whatever develops in the community (multiplayer info, patches/game updates/DLC info).

If you don't really care, you probably shouldn't do it.

Hahahah I almost afraid to make an OT for something I really care about because I think I would lose focus and get too emotional.

I didn't really wanna jump in this... but I gotta say that you have the potential to make a really awesome OT. Just play by the rules and let this thing go. Don't wanna see you get juniored when you obviously have the skills to make a good thread. So just let this go.

Roo

Thread got locked again. Considering you did not get juniored after this 2nd attempt basically means do not push your luck again a third time.

It should be pretty obvious why it got locked the first time. Putting it up again a 2nd time was not the smartest idea esp when you did not get any sort of response back from the mods.

There is not much we can do here for you as its something you will need to work out with the mods. As its their decision on what does / does not stay open.

Basically this. Don't push it. You might get juniored if you try again.

Jimrpg

I thought it was a really great thread and opening post, but it does look like an OT. For a start, in the Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 threads, there aren't any headings like Characters, Images, GIF Gallery etc, and the opening post reads a bit like a FAQ. The Yakuza 0 one is kinda basic, the Gravity Rush 2 one edges closer to an OT, but still set out more like a FAQ. The Nier opening post might just have been too close to an OT. There is some merit in reading a new OT just before the day comes out, like opening presents on Christmas Days. I didn't know that extended to the 'look' of a thread but I get that. I like the idea of a 'preview' thread for games, especially when its a game you've only just heard about and are after more info to decide on purchasing. I live in a rural area in Malaysia so preordering using an online shop is important to me to ensure a physical copy.

I think it would have been fine if it was just formatted not so identically to an OT.

I changed it based on the little feedback I got, but the reasoning has been explained to me by a kind mod, so I understand more of why they did it.

I didn't really wanna jump in this... but I gotta say that you have the potential to make a really awesome OT. Don't wanna see you get juniored when you obviously have the skills to make a good thread.

Thank you for the kind words.

So just let this go.

Basically this. Don't push it. You might get juniored if you try again.

And now is solid advice in your situation. Let it go for now if you're not sure.

I wasn't ever planning on trying a third time - I legitimately thought I fixed enough with it the second time, but the situation has since been explained to me by a moderator, and I understand their reasoning.

I thought it was a really great thread and opening post, but it does look like an OT. For a start, in the Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2 threads, there aren't any headings like Characters, Images, GIF Gallery etc, and the opening post reads a bit like a FAQ. The Yakuza 0 one is kinda basic, the Gravity Rush 2 one edges closer to an OT, but still set out more like a FAQ. The Nier opening post might just have been too close to an OT. There is some merit in reading a new OT just before the day comes out, like opening presents on Christmas Days. I didn't know that extended to the 'look' of a thread but I get that.

I can see how it was structured differently, but honestly that was just me catering more towards my strengths and the game I was trying to spread. We don't know enough about NieR Automata for me to write long paragraphs of information on it like the Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza threads.

I like the idea of a 'preview' thread for games, especially when its a game you've only just heard about and are after more info to decide on purchasing. I live in a rural area in Malaysia so preordering using an online shop is important to me to ensure a physical copy.

While I understand what you mean, the main issue - as explained to me by a member of the mod team - was that these "preview"/hype/awareness threads are becoming a trend that they don't like seeing. (They went as far as saying that if they went back, the Yakuza and Gravity Rush 2 threads would likely also be locked)

The main idea is that - at least this far out - discussion should be in a series of separate, news based threads that can come and go, rather than a single thread where all news gets thrown in and lost, and I can definitely understand that.

If only this reasoning was given the first time, I wouldn't have even tried with a second thread.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Has anyone claimed FFVII remake yet? Probably. I'd like to if nobody has though.

While we're reaching for future games, I'll claim Death Stranding too, assuming nobody has.

Also Fire Emblem Switch.

Will update this post with proper formatting if none of these are taken

TheMoon

Has anyone claimed FFVII remake yet? Probably. I'd like to if nobody has though.

While we're reaching for future games, I'll claim Death Stranding too, assuming nobody has.

Also Fire Emblem Switch.

Will update this post with proper formatting if none of these are taken

You missed the part where there's a 1 year limit before the release. You can't claim any of these yet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You missed the part where there's a 1 year limit before the release. You can't claim any of these yet.
...damn.

I'll be back.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Off-topic OT question:

Is there a timeframe guideline for movies? The dating of various threads I've seen are all over the place, spanning from 1 week to day of release.

Parakeetman

Off-topic OT question:

Is there a timeframe guideline for movies? The dating of various threads I've seen are all over the place, spanning from 1 week to day of release.

Thats a good question... Not sure honestly as the mods generally seem to differ for the gaming vs offtopic side. You might want to ask one of the OT centric mods directly and see what they say to be the safest.

Parakeetman

Having issues with the pc at the moment so the stranger of sword city revisited OT will be up tomorrow.

Having to reformat and reinstall everything due to whatever in gods name happened to my OS. Some sort of software conflicts I think totally fried everything. (;・ω・)

Gonna head off to sleep while thats all going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom