• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Trouble

Banned
Hey guys, I know a lot of you are in neighborhoods pretty far out from Wallingford/greenlake/U District, but there's a super weird, very bright yellow thing in the sky above the Wallingford area right now. I swear I've seen something like it before but I can't remember when.

Is anyone else seeing this thing? I checked the police scanner and blotter and nobody is reporting it.

It's a sign of the end times.

Been doing yard work all morning. Had my first 2017 sighting of the elusive "person who came to Green Lake but now can't figure out how to get back on I-5 so they've gone past my house four times now."

The sun must be out.

Where would you guys recommend somebody to live if you want to be close to UW and don't want to pay outrageous prices?

What do you consider outrageous? Maybe somewhere north of 85th or 90th?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Where would you guys recommend somebody to live if you want to be close to UW and don't want to pay outrageous prices?

Yeah what mantra said. North is cheaper/closer than anywhere affordable to the south - central district is the most affordable rational choice to the south and that is an ugly cute.

Ravenna, crown hill, Northgate and even a couple of bits of sand point might be best. Rent or buy?

Greenlake checking in. How high in the sky? I just walked outside right now and didn't see anything, but my view of the skies right over Wallingford is blocked by apartments across the street.

At noon it was almost directly overhead.

Crown Hill might be a good place. I used to live there about ten years ago before buying in Green Lake.

Maybe Maple Leaf or Lake City? They're closer to the UW. Not sure how cheap Ravenna and Roosevelt are for people coming into the area now.

Stinkles

Crown Hill might be a good place. I used to live there about ten years ago before buying in Green Lake.

Maybe Maple Leaf or Lake City? They're closer to the UW. Not sure how cheap Ravenna and Roosevelt are for people coming into the area now.

Yeah I have definitely lost track of the real estate market but Northgate on particular is a simple commute with massive rental density relative to other neighborhoods and has much better food and entertainment options these days.

I believe light rail is being built there too.

Yeah I have definitely lost track of the real estate market but Northgate on particular is a simple commute with massive rental density relative to other neighborhoods and has much better food and entertainment options these days.

I believe light rail is being built there too.

Yep, there's gonna be a station at Northgate. Brooklyn and Roosevelt won't open until 2021 because Northgate is where the trains turn around.

Stinkles

Yep, there's gonna be a station at Northgate. Brooklyn and Roosevelt won't open until 2021 because Northgate is where the trains turn around.

Which will actually make Seattle a BIT like San Francisco - which has "good" public transit IF you live on market/mission street. Our version of Market Street will be the i5 corridor.

Realeza

Banned
Rent by the way. I'm thinking about doing a masters at UW, so don't want to have a long ass commute. What would be the price for a simple, 2 room apartment that's pet friendly?

Dany

Banned
I just woke up? Anyone freaked out by this glowing yellow orb in the sky? I don't understand. It looks like it's descending in the west.

cdyhybrid

Rent by the way. I'm thinking about doing a masters at UW, so don't want to have a long ass commute. What would be the price for a simple, 2 room apartment that's pet friendly?

What kind of pet? A lot of apartment buildings don't allow dogs, so that would narrow your choices a bit if you have one.

I just woke up? Anyone freaked out by this glowing yellow orb in the sky? I don't understand. It looks like it's descending in the west.

drove down to nisqually today, spent all day scanning for ducks at the flats while taking in the sun.

Hope everyone else had a good time outdoors today :)

I thought you bums were actually talking about UFOs.

Great day yesterday......except I had a stomach bug that felt like food poisoning 'lite'. Didn't throw up but was on the precipice until 5

dLMN8R

I enjoyed the sun for an hour or so, but them also spent ~5.5 hours (according to my Wii U) playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Not sad about the decision.

Mortemis

Banned
I enjoyed the sun for an hour or so, but them also spent ~5.5 hours (according to my Wii U) playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Not sad about the decision.

I went out for a bit, and later got some invites to go to the beach because any day that the suns out is beach day, but decided the best decision I can make is stay home and play Zelda.

Not sad either.

Alchemy

So is there any good nerd stuff to do around here other than hanging out at the Mox? I'm starting to get a little stir crazy in Bellevue.

How about checking out the MOPOP, Museum of Popular Culture? Formerly the EMP. The Sci-fi museum, music and gaming exhibits are pretty cool.

But, yeah, get out of Bellevue. Or the Matrix as I call it.

finalflame

Gold Member
1. Get out of Bellevue.
2. What is "nerd stuff"?

I'm gonna echo this. Even though I was only in Bellevue for 48 hours, I could not stand what I saw of it/the stuck-up vibe/etc. I'm happily just going to commute there for work, instead of living/working there. Worth.

With that said, move date coming up this Saturday, stoked. Wanted to put out an interest check in doing some kind of meetup the weekend of 3/31 -- thoughts? Maybe something with board games, food, and alcohol for those who drink.

I'm gonna echo this. Even though I was only in Bellevue for 48 hours, I could not stand what I saw of it/the stuck-up vibe/etc. I'm happily just going to commute there for work, instead of living/working there. Worth.

I'm born and raised here in the Seattle metro. Grew up in South King County and have always felt like I don't belong on the Eastside. Very snooty and now as an adult living in Seattle for the last 13 years, it's pretty lifeless and lacking in culture that interests me.

Nowadays I sadly assume that no one else is from here anymore. :-(

Bums me out that most people look confused with my Almost Live! references or basically anything relating to Old Seattle.

As someone from CA moving to Seattle..I hope to just not bring it up and slide on by un-hated :p

listens attentively to locals' answers

Hahah I ask, because I was told not to bring it up by people who live in Portland. Like they really do not like people moving there and raising the cost of housing etc..... there seems to be a deep dislike for CA.

I moved to Seattle from San Diego and was prepared to be hassled, but it never happened. It was also surprising to find out how many people I met and became friends with I later found out had ties or history in CA. It used to be a bigger deal than it is now, in my experience at least.

My only issue with recent transplants is that a good number have a lack of understanding about the city's past and are so full of themselves to the point that they don't give a shit about where they now live and those that came before them.

I know I'm generalizing but I run into this attitude a lot. This place is my home and I love it, so when I see people disrespecting it or taking it for granted it drives me crazy.

Just be a good person, show some humility and take some time to understand the place you're moving to.

riotous

Banned
Yeah it was maybe a thing to yell at clouds and Californians taking over in the 90s; now that Californians have taken over it kind of stopped lol.

But seriously; I know very few people from here. I think I know more people from other countries who live in Seattle than people born in the area, let alone other States.

My only issue with recent transplants is that a good number have a lack of understanding about the city's past and are so full of themselves to the point that they don't give a shit about where they now live and those that came before them.

I know I'm generalizing but I run into this attitude a lot. This place is my home and I love it, so when I see people disrespecting it or taking it for granted it drives me crazy.

Just be a good person, show some humility and take some time to understand the place you're moving to.

Like do you want them to be able to do a guided tour or what do you mean? Im saying that light heartily.

jb1234

I've talked to a few transplants who have had difficulty adapting to the Seattle culture. One of them expected to get invited to a party just because it was brought up in conversation.

Alchemy

How about checking out the MOPOP, Museum of Popular Culture? Formerly the EMP. The Sci-fi museum, music and gaming exhibits are pretty cool.

But, yeah, get out of Bellevue. Or the Matrix as I call it.

These are good ideas, I gotta figure out the bus routes at some point. Can't imagine parking is anything but a nightmare near the Seattle Center. The only redeeming thing about downtown Bellevue is the parking being alright.

I'm a Masshole transplant that also lived in LA for a few years and I don't think anyone here gives a shit.

dLMN8R

The thing about bus routes - you don't really need to learn them. Just use Google Maps or whatever and it'll guide you all the way :)

These are good ideas, I gotta figure out the bus routes at some point. Can't imagine parking is anything but a nightmare near the Seattle Center. The only redeeming thing about downtown Bellevue is the parking being alright.

I'm a Masshole transplant that also lived in LA for a few years and I don't think anyone here gives a shit.

Parking is easy. There is a big underground parking lot across the street form the MOPOP. You have to pay, but it makes it easy.

riotous

Banned
Seattle Center is surrounded by garages on all sides but the South side; but yeah, that new garage attached to the Gates Foundation building is great for MoPoP.

I'm born and raised here in the Seattle metro. Grew up in South King County and have always felt like I don't belong on the Eastside. Very snooty and now as an adult living in Seattle for the last 13 years, it's pretty lifeless and lacking in culture that interests me.
I don't disagree with you about the Eastside, after visting Downtown Bellevue a few times I would call their Downtown a glorified corporate park. Even worse on the Weekends when it's essentially a complete ghostown outside of the Bellevue Collection.

Phthisis

So is there any good nerd stuff to do around here other than hanging out at the Mox? I'm starting to get a little stir crazy in Bellevue.

Been to Mediterranean Kitchen? Hike at any of the glorious parks (Bridle Trails, St. Edward, Marymoor, Cougar Mountain)? Kayaking? Lake front beaches (Lake Sammamish St. Park)? K1 Speed for go karts?

Unless you just mean drinking establishments. In which case, can't help you.

Dany

Banned
Any other peeps on Beacon Hill or Rainer valley? I really like how quiet this part of town is, yet so close to 5 and the light rail when needed.

join me in Renton. ;-;

326.gif

Top Bottom