• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

It's more Netherrealms not bothering to make a decent port and supporting it that should worry people.

Why not? The first Injustice had a Wii U port.

They bothered enough to make a Vita port of the first game though.
MKX had its last gen versions cancelled and the PC port treated like shit. Injustice 2 doesn't even have a PC version announced. If the Switch can't run the game as is do you honestlty see WB going out of their way to support it?

C11w2UBWEAAPXKf.jpg

I can't believe I just scrolled through 17 pages of people going on and on about the ethernet adapter and not one person mentioned this thing at all. Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Hori is selling a charging station for 4 joycons? They seem to think that a lot of people will have multiple Switches at their house if you would need to charge 4 joycons. Either that bodes well for a cheap price as in multiple kids in a family having their own Switch or Nintendo is going to sell them separately like a spare nunchuk. I can't imagine a scenario where you would buy extra of these tiny controllers instead of a pro controller so I think that might be a good indicator of a $199 version of the system.

this is some amazing clutching for straws.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendrones don't care about Tekken. Stop shovelling that shit down our throats Namco.

It won't have the success of Street Fighter 3DS and I'm pretty sure we'd rather have a new Soul Calibur game/port.

Am I right friends?

Not unless they can give me a game that's Soul Calibur 3 caliber.
I'll gladly buy Tekken at launch

MAtgS

MKX had its last gen versions cancelled and the PC port treated like shit. Injustice 2 doesn't even have a PC version announced. If the Switch can't run the game as is do you honestlty see WB going out of their way to support it?
WB doesn't give a fuck for the PC market, plain and simple.

khaaan

I'm curious about that Snap and Go cover. It looks like one full unit where the buttons are on the device ala Wii U where as all the other pictures clearly show the detachable joycons or the pro controller.

C11xQXHXAAACsHU.jpg

Xdrive05

I'm curious about that Snap and Go cover. It looks like one full unit where the buttons are on the device ala Wii U where as all the other pictures clearly show the detachable joycons or the pro controller.

C11xQXHXAAACsHU.jpg

Yeah, it looks like a clamshell that just encases the joycons as well. Presumably to offer drop protection and screen protection. And then when you're ready to dock it again you just remove the snap n go case.

Man I'm really worried about how durable this thing will be. There's going to be a ton a damaged units from just every day use. A lot of folks drop their 3DS's all the time and expect them to keep working. Not sure the same can be true for Switch.

Robiin

I think we are looking at a RyanAir situation for this console. For those unaware, they're a flight company that sells really cheap plane tickets. The catch is that if you want to add anything it will cost you a lot extra. Meal on board? Ridiculously expensive. Checked in luggage? Pay up. Window seat guarantee? Money.

I think the Switch will be 249€ and come with maybe 50GB storage and the screen with two controllers. I would like:
*Pro Controller
*Ethernet adapter
*Extra storage
*Screen stand
*A cool skin (fantastic idea tbh)

So I'm probably looking at 400€ altogether... oh well.

khaaan

So far the accessories I've got my eyes on are:

-Screen Protector
-Ethernet Adaptor
-Snap And Go Protector (I do a lot of commuting gaming...then again I've never dropped my device)
-Pro controller (but I'll see what the official offering is first)

Yeah, it looks like a clamshell that just encases the joycons as well. Presumably to offer drop protection and screen protection. And then when you're ready to dock it again you just remove the snap n go case.

Man I'm really worried about how durable this thing will be. There's going to be a ton a damaged units from just every day use. A lot of folks drop their 3DS's all the time and expect them to keep working. Not sure the same can be true for Switch.

That's what I'm assuming but you'd think you'd be able to clearly see the seams where the joycon's slide in and out. Unless it's just part of some "marketing magic" to make the thing more appealing.

Edit: Like this:
C11xKhkXgAEL-Z9.jpg

Functionally it looks like the same thing as the snap and go protector but you can clearly see where the Joycon's end and the screen starts.

Edit Edit: Going to make a prediction out of my butt. There's going to be a "portable" SKU that's is functionally the exact same but the joycons are built in and doesn't come with a dock but could be docked if you purchased one.

tiijj

I think we are looking at a RyanAir situation for this console. For those unaware, they're a flight company that sells really cheap plane tickets. The catch is that if you want to add anything it will cost you a lot extra. Meal on board? Ridiculously expensive. Checked in luggage? Pay up. Window seat guarantee? Money.

I think the Switch will be 249€ and come with maybe 50GB storage and the screen with two controllers. I would like:
*Pro Controller
*Ethernet adapter
*Extra storage
*Screen stand

Everything's like that, after buying the brand new shiny toy people tend to pick up a few accessories for it which inflates the price that they often save up or budgeted.

A new phone well you need a screen protector, a hard case, a flip case, a waterproof case, stylus, power bank, a few extra cables, car chargers, skins, flip stand, desktop dock, car dock, etc...

A new car of course you need a new car charger for your cell, hood skins, rust proofing, fabric protection, emergency kit, etc...

etc...

Edit Edit: Going to make a prediction out of my butt. There's going to be a "portable" SKU that's is functionally the exact same but the joycons are built in and doesn't come with a dock but could be docked if you purchased one.

wont be at launch but a "portable only" switch will probably appear at xmas or early next year

kdoll08

this is some amazing clutching for straws.

To be fair I had completely forgot about the thought of different kind of joy cons. I remember now about making the dpad switchable and I'm guessing that this will just be a whole different joycon instead of switchable on the base joycon. Someone else mentioned using them for Just Dance and that is also a good reason for extras I just never thought of people wanting them over a pro controller. The Wii U pro controller is so good I thought most people would want that.

Nakazato

I really would love a tempered glass protector.

I wonder if Nintendo will have like a Nintendo cares plan. Cause I would like to be able to replace my switch if my nephew drops it and shatters the screen.

*Pro Controller
*Ethernet adapter
*Extra storage
*Screen stand

You forgot the games.

I'm guessing there will be 2-3 launch games I'm going to want, plus a pro controller, carrying case and screen protector. Probably dropping $500 that day.

But this is the first time in my damn near 30 years of gaming across all platforms that I'm in a situation where I can afford to buy a system on launch day, so I'm kind of excited.

Malakai

wont be at launch but a "portable only" switch will probably appear at xmas or early next year

This is the most exciting prospect of the Nintendo Switch. The various possible form factors given that Nintendo is giving developers 2 targets to develop for. A handheld only version, in theory, should be a bit more cheaper due to the lack of the bundle dock, no removable joy cons (and the batteries that are in the joy cons) heck if the fan doesn't run in portable mode, Nintendo could remove that as well to further reduce cost.

Neoxon

Arcade Stick?

Street Fighter V??
Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive, same for King of Fighters XIV. That said, there's still...
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Tekken 7
  • Injustice 2
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
  • BlazBlue: Central Fiction
  • Mortal Kombat XL

13ruce

Banned

*Pro Controller
*Ethernet adapter
*Extra storage
*Screen stand

I will buy the switch + that Zelda decoration protection kit and Mario and Zelda and maybe skyrim (if all are at launch)

So hmm around 450€

Hori fightsticks are some of the best, but who would want one for their Switch? Unless they also plan on using it for PC? I'll probably pick up a few fighting games but will stick to games I prefer playing pad (3D fighters in particular).

Was it USB? If so I'd imagine it would be if there's a pokken port

Yeah, the WiiU Pokken controller terminates in USB. You can also use it on PC as a D-input device and it even works on PS3, but the button mapping is weird, IIRC.

Would be great if it's compatible with Switch.

This is the most exciting prospect of the Nintendo Switch. The various possible form factors given that Nintendo is giving developers 2 targets to develop for. A handheld only version, in theory, should be a bit more cheaper due to the lack of the bundle dock, no removable joy cons (and the batteries that are in the joy cons) heck if the fan doesn't run in portable mode, Nintendo could remove that as well to further reduce cost.

i'd imagine a future portable switch would have die shrunk chips (presuming of course regular switch isn't on 16nm anyway) so that may negate any need for the fan anyway

khaaan

Probably right but I still think it's strange that every other image of the Switch shows that the tablet and the joycon's are distinct pieces where as this image looks like it's all one piece.

tiijj

I still can't believe this:

Hori literally makes the best d-pads in the industry, what happened there!? It should look like this:

Granted, we can stick to the official one, but I always use Hori controllers over the ones made by Nintendo / Sony / MS :[

The circle might not be part of the d-pad, it might just be a raised part and the d-pad is just a traditional d-pad.

Cleve

You don't have to buy a Nintendo made adapter. It's a standard device that lots of companies make.

usb ethernet adapters are easy to come by, Nintendo has nothing to do with it really

It's worth noting that you can't just grab any USB ethernet adapter for the wii/u. Not every chipset is recognized by the systems.

If people are reading this and interested in getting one, make sure it lists wii/u compatibility, or you know it's been tested to work. In the case of switch, hold off for a bit to see what others say for compatibility. (or just pay a lot for the one in the OP)

Will probably get the Zelda BoTW hard shell protector, and the carrying bag from Hyperkin.

Never used screen protectors a lot, so will probably pass on that--unless one comes with the hard shell case.

As for the game card case---maybe. I do like the 3DS card cases I got from Club Nintendo.

opricnik

Banned

They fixed pc port.And teased injustice 2 pc port

Gale007

Was just curious if there has been any word on what games this hori pad will work with? On launch I'm not sure if I want to shell out another 70 for the pro controller, but I would be fine with this pad if it really goes for 30.

C11xQXNXAAEota9.jpg

iphys

http://www.game.co.uk/en/nintendo-switch-wired-controller-1791213

Yeah, half the price of the official Pro controller. It mentions the D-pad disc is removable, so presumably it's just a set of 4 buttons underneath. How horrible would this D-pad be I wonder, or isn't that basically what every D-pad is like underneath that it ultimately is just triggering 4 switches? Also, can the official Pro controller be used on the go like if you want to play tabletop, as I'm wondering how much worse is it that this can only be used wired to USB on the dock?

deleted

I someone puts out a 3rd Party dock for around 40 bucks, I'll gonna get that. 90 Euro is the most outrageous pricing of all the Switch accessories.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/nintendo-switch-wired-controller-1791213

Yeah, half the price of the official Pro controller. It mentions the D-pad disc is removable, so presumably it's just a set of 4 buttons underneath. How horrible would this D-pad be I wonder, or isn't that basically what every D-pad is like underneath that it ultimately is just triggering 4 switches? Also, can the official Pro controller be used on the go like if you want to play tabletop, as I'm wondering how much worse is it that this can only be used wired to USB on the dock?

Pretty sure the Pro controller can be used anywhere, whereas this can only be used when the Switch is docked. Not really sure about your dpad question, but it certainly can't be any worse than the dpad on the joy-cons.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Needs a joycon strap with charging connector, combined with a magnetic charging dock.

I like wiimote/nunchuck style split controllers but the straps look to be needed to make the joycons more comfortable. That makes it a pain when you need to charge (remove 2 straps, slide onto switch, remove when charged, put straps back on). An accessory that lets me leave the straps permanently attached would be good

iphys

Needs a joycon strap with charging connector, combined with a magnetic charging dock.

I like wiimote/nunchuck style split controllers but the straps look to be needed to make the joycons more comfortable. That makes it a pain when you need to charge (remove 2 straps, slide onto switch, remove when charged, put straps back on). An accessory that lets me leave the straps permanently attached would be good

I don't understand how the straps make them more comfortable. Aren't they just supposed to be there so you don't accidentally throw the controller in motion-based games? I hardly ever used them on the Wii because it felt so annoying having the strap around my wrist.

Vidiot

That hori controller for $30 is sounding pretty good. You can pick up two of them for less then one official pro controller.

brad-t

How would this even work?

iphys

When you think about it, that Hori controller is basically the same price as the charging grip. You're better off having an extra controller you can use when your Joy-Con need charging that you can also use as an extra controller when you have a friend over instead of buying Nintendo's overpriced charging grip.

watershed

Banned
But the joycons can't be unremoveable because that would screen up the control scheme of some Switch games. For me the perfect Switch would be just a portable with joycons built in, no console mode dock or plugs, just an amazing Nintendo portable.

leroidys

Glad that they're letting 3rd parties make cheaper controllers out of the gate. This should solve a lot of people's issues with the 1st party accessory offerings.

dolabla

There's premium now?

I mean I pre-ordered it because hori but.... really?

Supposedly it has a harder surface, thicker protective shield & is basically scratch proof. I always saw the Hori "Premium" versions on import sites, but I've never bought them before.

The description on the page says it's the first time they've ever released "Premium" outside of Japan.

Top Bottom