• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

Robin64

logo.png

Finally, a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3. And let's face it, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best game ever made, so this upgrade to 16-bits has a lot to live up to.

A Whole New World

Feeling they deserve a rest after their previous adventures, the crew of Mario, Luigi and Princess Toadstool head to Dinosaur Land for a holiday, because that sounds like a safe place to go. Tragically, Bowser once again kidnaps Princess Toadstool as well as trapping Yoshi's friends in eggs. Who is Yoshi? A brand new addition to the Mario universe! But have Mario and Luigi ever met him before? Hmm, who can say..

2.png

Yoshi is a friendly, green, featherless dinosaur who resides on his own island, which is named Yoshi's Island. It's here that Mario and Luigi begin their adventures and bump into Yoshi right from the beginning. Mario and Luigi can ride Yoshi, at which point they can command Yoshi to stick out his long tongue and gobble up their enemies. As an added bonus, when Mario and Luigi are hit while riding Yoshi, they will take no damage and instead Yoshi will just run away. But don't worry, he can be chased after and caught to ride once again! It is said that Yoshi gains powers if he eats shells that aren't green...

Flower Power

A sequel wouldn't be complete without new power-ups, and Super Mario World is no exception. The Mushroom and the Fire Flower return, but Mario's flight capability has been upgraded thanks to the Feather.

3.jpg

This fantastic new power-up gives Mario a cape which he can use to take to the skies. Like the Racoon Leaf from the previous game, this is done by simply taking a run-up and then leaping into the air. Mario will take to the skies with relative ease. The cape has given Mario the new ability to dive and pull up, though, and with careful skill, Mario can soar through the skies forever. Forever!

Screenshots

1.gif
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png

miiverse.png

Super Mario World has a Community on Miiverse. Here, people can share screenshots of their adventure and post tips and tricks for other players. Be sure not to post spoilers! Here's some artwork that people have done already in this Community. Just amazing!

m1.png

m2.png

m3.png

m4.png

m5.png

Reviews

Mean Machines

Super Mario World is out now for the Nintendo Wii U.

BHK3

Banned
Aside from Yoshi's island, there hasn't been a Good Mario game since then imo. Didn't like the 3D ones.

Edit: I reworded it, I don't like the 3D mario games. I find the New* 2D mario series to be kinda meh, don't feel positive or negative about them.

Pitmonkey

Aside from Yoshi's island, there hasn't been a good Mario game since then imo.

That desperate attempt for a solid first post.

Regardless, amazingly timeless game - downloaded it on my Wii U, look forward to playing it this weekend.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's kind of extreme.

It's my favorite Mario game, but to suggest that there haven't been any GOOD Mario games since that point (aside from YI) is just madness.

I would agree than none of them are better than SMW, however.

dc89

Well I think this is harsh to say, because Galaxy and 3D Land are brilliant games but this is something really special.

Such a great game. Many fond memories of watching my dad play through this game.

Glass Rebel

I'll be honest, I never liked World as much as SMB1, 3, Yoshi's Island or 6 Golden Coins. Can't really explain why but I found it a bit underwhelming.

S7YC1Kl.jpg

I 96 goaled that game within a few hours as soon as I downloaded it.

If I could only erase my memories of it so I could enjoy it all over again, I would.

BHK3

Banned
That's kind of extreme.

It's my favorite Mario game, but to suggest that there haven't been any GOOD Mario games since that point (aside from YI) is just madness.

I would agree than none of them are better than SMW, however.
I didn't like any of the 3D ones at all, Sunshine is the only one I've never played.
That desperate attempt for a solid first post.

Regardless, amazingly timeless game - downloaded it on my Wii U, look forward to playing it this weekend.

I'm just posting my opinion, wanna trade places so you're first post?

I did not know you where allowed to make an OT for an old game, because I really want to do a few OT for old games.

I always assumed that you had to make an LTTP thread.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I didn't like any of the 3D ones at all, Sunshine is the only one I've never played.

I'm just posting my opinion, wanna trade places so you're first post?

And a shitty opinion at that. Thanks for the detailed thoughts on why the rest of the Mario games are bad.

GulAtiCa

I always hated the 2nd level in the "Special" stage. I could never finish it normally. I eventually found a way around, I would get yoshi and a cape and just jump/fly all the way over to end without using those balloons. lol

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I remember the first time I played SMW. I remember I loved how smooth the controls were and how colorful it looked. And that music is just timeless.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
this is the crown jewel of Mario games for me. I can play this thing in my sleep.

LOVE IT. I still bust it out all the time and most notably every thanksgiving when we have retro games going everyone loves it. Its fun to try and see who can make it the longest without dying or trying to get through the entire level while crouching and jumping.

good times.

Sapiens

Ya, but have you guys seen Sonic? It has more graphics.

Besides, this looks like a total retread of Mario 3!

Andrew.

Banned
The only problem I have with World is that it's just too easy. It's beautiful and timeless, but the challenge just isn't there for me personally. It was easy when I was a kid and I can still fly through it now. Hell, all of the old school Marios were cake for me except the original. I never could finish (and still cant) SMB1.

I hadn't played this in almost like... 20 years?
Still lot of fun, but last 2 NSMBs blow it away without effort if we want to be objective.

zroid

Banned
Thanks for the OT, I'm having a blast playing this right now (on the GamePad!), so it's nice to have an outlet aside from the Virtual Console thread :D

Robin64

The only problem I have with World is that it's just too easy. It's beautiful and timeless, but the challenge just isn't there for me personally. It was easy when I was a kid and I can still fly through it now. Hell, all of the old school Marios were cake for me except the original. I never could finish (and still cant) SMB1.

Sadly, very true. Really have to be restrained with the cape.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I hadn't played this in almost like... 20 years?
Still lot of fun, but last 2 NSMBs blow it away without effort if we want to be objective.
World has more charm, better music and better variety than all the NSMB entries, IMO. Even though NSMBU was awesome. Nintendo seem content to phone it in musically these days but I still love the tunes from SMW.

Top Bottom