• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

This and last year are going to be "show my girlfriend movies she hasnt seen yet", so it'll be fun to do that again. My general theme is going to be "zombies", but I need suggestions for non-Romero/Return/Evil Dead zombie films, as theyre already on the list as she hasnt seen any of them. Resident Evil I don't see as horror, just as an fyi.

Pre-list warning: I'm a zombie movie guy, they're what got me this deep into horror movies from just being a casual viewer, so I tend to be a little less critical of them. These may not all be the best titles in the world, but I enjoy them all for various reasons.

Serious Zombie Films (or attempting to be serious...)

Zombi 2 (aka Zombie) – Italian. Fulci's zombie masterpiece.

City of the Living Dead, The Beyond and The House by the Cemetery (Lucio Fulci's unofficial Gates of Hell trilogy) – Italian. Even though fans consider them a trilogy, it's more of a thematic thing, they're not actually connected and you do not need to watch each one in order (or at all). They're not exactly coherent, but if you want some great visuals and absolutely batshit gore, these are for you. You can probably skip House by the Cemetery though.

Demons and Demons 2 – Italian. Not technically zombies, but people possessed by demons. Great music, crazy fun and a bad ass pimp. Basically the Italian equivalent to Return of the Living Dead but not as comical.

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror – Underrated Italian splatter flick. Warning, has some content that may make your girlfriend a little uncomfortable.

Nightmare City – Another underrated Italian splatter flick. Almost certainly the inspiration for Planet Terror. Same girlfriend warning as Burial Ground applies.

Zombie Holocaust (aka Dr. Butcher M.D.) – Italian zombie/cannibal mashup. Admittedly I've only seen this once and that was maybe 15 years ago but I recall it being decent with some cool kills.

Hell of the Living Dead – Italian ripoff flick. Honestly, this isn't great but it's pretty fascinating just how shameless it is.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (aka The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue) – Excellent Italian/Spanish co-production.

[REC], [REC] 2, [REC] 3: Genesis, [REC] 4: Apocalypse – Spanish series. 1-2 are excellent serious found footage movies. 3 ditches the found footage goes a little more splatter comedy but is still enjoyable. 4 isn't really talked about favourably, which honestly confuses me. I thought it was good.

The Grapes of Death – French. Very cheap and rough around the edges, but a decent old school movie for when you've exhausted the Italian choices. The zombies in this movie are fucking assholes. Holy shit.

Train to Busan – Korean. Incredible. This is what World War Z would have been if the filmmakers had lots of talent instead of lots of money. There's also an animated prequel, though I have not seen it yet.

The Battery – Low budget (VERY low) indie flick (VERY indie) with a fantastic ending (VERY fantastic).

Planet Terror – Really fun throwback to the old Italian splatter zombie movies.

28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later – Yeah, not technically zombies. The movies themselves are close enough. Days loses some stream in the final act and Weeks overall isn't as good, but still worth checking out.

Zombie Lake – Just kidding. Don't watch this.

Comedic Zombie Films

Shaun of the Dead – Surely you've already seen this.

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) – Peter Jackson's splatter epic.

Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man) – Italian. Artistic and surreal, yet completely ridiculous zombie masterpiece. Do not miss this.

Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, Beyond Re-Animator – Based off H.P. Lovecraft's story, the original is one of the best zombie comedies. The sequels are of lesser quality, but not without their own charms. A personal favourite.

Night of the Creeps – ”Zombies, exploding heads, creepy-crawlies... and a date for the formal. This is classic, Spanky.”

Dead Heat – Not a typical horde style zombie movie (just a silly 80s cheese comedy), but worth watching just for the re-animated Chinese butcher shop scene.

Dead Snow and Dead Snow 2 – Norwegian. Heavily Evil Dead inspired zombie series. Highly recommended.

Zombeavers – One of those rare times that a "goofy idea for a trailer" actually turned out to be a good movie. Very surprising, very fun.

Versus – Silly Japanese action zombie movie directed by Ryûhei Kitamura (Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes cutscene director)

Wild Zero – Japanese. Complete nonsense. Complete good time. Trash & Chaos!

izakq

Didn't participate last year due to some bad personal stuff going on at the time. But, boy oh boy, am I looking forward to this. Here's what I got so far, need to fill some spots:

1. It (2017)
2. Exam
3. Train to Busan
4. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
5. Don't Breathe
6. Cabin in the Woods
7. Get Out
8. The Conjuring 2
9. Let the Right One In
10. American Werewolf in London
11. Hush
12. You're Next
13. Friday the 13th
14. The Witch
15. Raw
16. A Dark Song
17. The Transfiguration
18. Split
19. The Girl With All the Gifts
20. The Devil's Candy
21. Deathgasm

Maybes?
Rigor Mortis
Saw
The Love Witch
The Hallow

Any recommendations? I like stuff that doesn't let up and let you catch your breath like Inside and You're Next, some good zombie flicks, and fun ones like Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Didn't participate last year due to some bad personal stuff going on at the time. But, boy oh boy, am I looking forward to this. Here's what I got so far, need to fill some spots:

1. It (2017)
2. Exam
3. Train to Busan
4. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
5. Don't Breathe
6. Cabin in the Woods
7. Get Out
8. The Conjuring 2
9. Let the Right One In
10. American Werewolf in London
11. Hush
12. You're Next
13. Friday the 13th
14. The Witch
15. Raw
16. A Dark Song
17. The Transfiguration
18. Split
19. The Girl With All the Gifts
20. The Devil's Candy
21. Deathgasm

Maybes?
Rigor Mortis
Saw
The Love Witch
The Hallow

Any recommendations? I like stuff that doesn't let up and let you catch your breath like Inside and You're Next, some good zombie flicks, and fun ones like Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Planet Terror
Re-Animator
Demons
We Are Still Here
Dead Snow 1 and 2
Return of the Living Dead
Slither
Dead Alive
Night of the Creeps

gforguava

Maybes?
Rigor Mortis
Saw
The Love Witch
The Hallow
Rigor Mortis and The Love Witch are both fantastic but they are both so narrow in their focus that I can understand why some might not like them. Rigor Mortis in particular might come across as a little unintelligible if one doesn't really know the Mr. Vampire flicks.

FYI for cinemassacre fans. I was bummed out that James decided to retire the Monster Madness series but he just announced that he'll be reviewing five new movies in what he's called "Son of Monster Madness". I'm glad to see he's keeping it going in some fashion.

Going to add a couple of remakes I actually liked to my list that I haven't seen in a long time.

-Dawn of the Dead (2004)
-Friday the 13th (2009)

On a different note, has anyone seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula (1931)? Heard it was actually better than the original.

gonna aim for around 14-15 of them this month. what's the film collection on that Shudder service like for older horror movies (universal monsters, italian stuff, carpenter, romero dead trilogy)?

lordxar

gonna aim for around 14-15 of them this month. what's the film collection on that Shudder service like for older horror movies (universal monsters, italian stuff, carpenter, romero dead trilogy)?

See if this list helps. At one point early on I went through Shudder and put everything they had into it. I've been adding the new every so often but I know they have removed some that I have not. I'm too lazy to really maintain it but it should be reasonably current.

https://letterboxd.com/lordxar/list/movies-on-shudder/

Off the top of my head I don't think it has any universal, Carpenter, or Romero Dead, but it's really excellent for the Italian stuff. There's plenty of other good older stuff on there as well.

I decided to make a potential list after all. Using the incredible resources of TCM's october horror schedule, and shudder's offerings I "narrowed" it down to 50 movies. The only rewatches on the list are Dracula, and Bride of Frankenstein. It looks like I'm going heavy on Universal, Hammer, RKO, and some more Italian flicks I didn't get to last year. There's no way I'm gonna get through all of these, and the last 5-6 are airing on Halloween so I probably won't get to them in October, so if you guys have any suggestions as to what should be cut or what I should prioritize, I'm all ears.

Here's my letterboxd list

The first to go will probably be one of the many Hammer Dracula sequels in there.

MattyH

In case anyone hates themselves and needs a film to watch in October with a minimum of fuss, Dimension Films and Google Play have just the film for you, as Amityville: The Awakening will be available for streaming for free from Oct 12-Nov 8!

As the article points out, this has been delayed multiple times, so keep your expectations lower than Atlantis.

i am oddly curious to see this just to hopefully find out why it went through so many delays etc hoping its on uk google play

I decided to make a potential list after all. Using the incredible resources of TCM's october horror schedule, and shudder's offerings I "narrowed" it down to 50 movies. The only rewatches on the list are Dracula, and Bride of Frankenstein. It looks like I'm going heavy on Universal, Hammer, RKO, and some more Italian flicks I didn't get to last year. There's no way I'm gonna get through all of these, and the last 5-6 are airing on Halloween so I probably won't get to them in October, so if you guys have any suggestions as to what should be cut or what I should prioritize, I'm all ears.

Here's my letterboxd list

The first to go will probably be one of the many Hammer Dracula sequels in there.

TCM doing work!

On a different note, has anyone seen the Spanish-language version of Dracula (1931)? Heard it was actually better than the original.

It's very good. Longer then the Browning film and filmed in a way that gets better mileage from the stellar set design. However the actor who plays Dracula has as much charisma as a wet blanket. Lugosi is still king.

Fox Mulder

I'm putting my list together. I usually just watch the same movies each year really. Lots of stuff I love, but only watch once a year. Will try to make it at least half brand new.

Off the top of my head I don't think it has any universal, Carpenter, or Romero Dead, but it's really excellent for the Italian stuff. There's plenty of other good older stuff on there as well.

The guy sitting on the US rights to some Romero stuff for tons of money is an asshole. Dawn of the Dead is OOP for years and currently isnt even streaming anywhere. Insane. Guess I'll just Martin on YouTube too.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but this year we have an actual Friday the 13th in October, and I really feel like I should watch one of the films from the the franchise that day, but I'm also trying really hard to have no rewatches this year.

So will I hate myself for watching the 2009 remake, or is it not too bad?

Hex

Banned
Going to add a couple of remakes I actually liked to my list that I haven't seen in a long time.

-Dawn of the Dead (2004)
-Friday the 13th (2009)

I strongly recommend the Dracula Legacy Collection (hell all of the Legacy collections)
The Dracula collection looks amazing, and contains:

Dracula

Dracula: The Restoration (HD, 9 minutes): "The whole point of the process is to not let the viewer know we were here." This look at the restoration of the movie from its original nitrate film and audio elements is an essential one. Every catalog release -- every single one -- should merit a featurette of this sort, if only to demonstrate how challenging restorations are handled. It needn't be long, just as informative and layman-friendly as this one.

Dracula (1931) Spanish Version (HD, 103 minutes): Lupita Tovar Kohner provides an introduction (SD, 4 minutes) to the Spanish version of the film, which features a different cast rather than a simple dub, and was shot simultaneously with the English-language version.

Audio Commentaries: Two audio commentaries are included: a traditional production overview with film historian David J. Skal, who reads from prepared notes, and author and Dracula: Dead and Loving It screenwriter Steve Haberman, who also reads his entire commentary. Both are worth listening to, if only for the sheer value of the information provided, but both are dry, wooden experiences more akin to book-on-tape film essays than engaging audio commentaries.

Alternate Score Track (HD, 74 minutes): Philip Glass and the Kronos Quartet provide an alternate (and highly effective) music track for the film, which is ironically more of what modern film fans might expect from the largely scoreless classic movie. Purists may balk, but it's a fun marriage of the new and the old; the only downside being that it's presented via a 192kbps Dolby Digital stereo mix.

The Road to Dracula (SD, 35 minutes): Carla Laemmle (niece to Universal founder Carl Laemmle) hosts this trip back in time and behind the scenes of Dracula, complete with interviews with film historians, modern filmmakers, and other notable horror notables, as well as clips from a number of films it influenced.

Lugosi: The Dark Prince (SD, 36 minutes): An in-depth look at the life, career and vampiric contribution of Bela Lugosi, the intense, magnetic actor who defined the horror star of the early 1930s.

Dracula Archives (SD, 9 minutes): Movie posters, campaign art, production stills and other images.

Trailer Gallery (SD, 6 minutes): Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula.

Monster Tracks (HD): A standard trivia track rounds out the package.
Dracula's Daughter

A Theatrical Trailer (1:24, SD) is included.

Son of Dracula

A Theatrical Trailer (1:37, SD) is included.

House of Frankenstein

Theatrical Trailer (1:41, 480i) - an unrestored, windowboxed trailer that appears to be a re-release trailer. May not be the first trailer that Universal originally ran.

House of Dracula

Theatrical Trailer (1:26, 480i) - an unrestored, slightly windowboxed trailer that appears to be a re-release trailer. May not be the first trailer that Universal originally ran. Note: Don't watch this if you haven't seen the film as it divulges a major spoiler!

Abbott and Costello Meet Dracula

Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters (SD; 33:18) is hosted by historian David J. Skal and offers an enjoyable overview of the comedy duo's interaction with various Universal horror stars.

Feature Commentary with Film Historian Gregory W. Mank. Mank is scholarly but accessible in this very informative and enjoyable commentary. Some of the commentary is frankly of the "now we're seeing" category, but Mank also provides some unexpected little nuggets, like the fact that animation under the credits sequence was probably done by Woody Woodpecker's Walter Lantz and that Glenn Strange was once the singing voice for John Wayne in some of the Duke's early Western films.

Theatrical Trailer (SD; 1:40)

You can get it for about $20

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but this year we have an actual Friday the 13th in October, and I really feel like I should watch one of the films from the the franchise that day, but I'm also trying really hard to have no rewatches this year.

I watched it again the other day while doing a marathon, I liked it more than I used to

I watched it again the other day while doing a marathon, I liked it more than I used to

Thanks Hex. I see TheSkullPrince thinks it's ok too. I reckon I might give it a go, especially as it has the advantage of currently being on Amazon Prime.

Hex

Banned
I'm putting my list together. I usually just watch the same movies each year really. Lots of stuff I love, but only watch once a year. Will try to make it at least half brand new.

The guy sitting on the US rights to some Romero stuff for tons of money is an asshole. Dawn of the Dead is OOP for years and currently isnt even streaming anywhere. Insane. Guess I'll just Martin on YouTube too.

Christ I forgot it was out of print, just looked at the prices on ebay.
I picked up my copy for like $10 back in the day.
Part of me loves the oop thing, most of me hates it though.

CREMSteve

The remake is actually pretty decent.

Cptkrush

Never knew about Letterboxd before, so I made my list on there:

https://boxd.it/1fUte

It's super cool!

I changed a couple of movies, exactly two. I opted for Let Me In over Let the Right One In because I've seen the latter and not the former, and replaced A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night with Suspiria due to the overwhelming recommendations here.

I strongly recommend the Dracula Legacy Collection (hell all of the Legacy collections)
The Dracula collection looks amazing, and contains:

Dracula

Dracula: The Restoration (HD, 9 minutes): "The whole point of the process is to not let the viewer know we were here." This look at the restoration of the movie from its original nitrate film and audio elements is an essential one. Every catalog release -- every single one -- should merit a featurette of this sort, if only to demonstrate how challenging restorations are handled. It needn't be long, just as informative and layman-friendly as this one.

Dracula (1931) Spanish Version (HD, 103 minutes): Lupita Tovar Kohner provides an introduction (SD, 4 minutes) to the Spanish version of the film, which features a different cast rather than a simple dub, and was shot simultaneously with the English-language version.

Audio Commentaries: Two audio commentaries are included: a traditional production overview with film historian David J. Skal, who reads from prepared notes, and author and Dracula: Dead and Loving It screenwriter Steve Haberman, who also reads his entire commentary. Both are worth listening to, if only for the sheer value of the information provided, but both are dry, wooden experiences more akin to book-on-tape film essays than engaging audio commentaries.

Alternate Score Track (HD, 74 minutes): Philip Glass and the Kronos Quartet provide an alternate (and highly effective) music track for the film, which is ironically more of what modern film fans might expect from the largely scoreless classic movie. Purists may balk, but it's a fun marriage of the new and the old; the only downside being that it's presented via a 192kbps Dolby Digital stereo mix.

The Road to Dracula (SD, 35 minutes): Carla Laemmle (niece to Universal founder Carl Laemmle) hosts this trip back in time and behind the scenes of Dracula, complete with interviews with film historians, modern filmmakers, and other notable horror notables, as well as clips from a number of films it influenced.

Lugosi: The Dark Prince (SD, 36 minutes): An in-depth look at the life, career and vampiric contribution of Bela Lugosi, the intense, magnetic actor who defined the horror star of the early 1930s.

Dracula Archives (SD, 9 minutes): Movie posters, campaign art, production stills and other images.

Trailer Gallery (SD, 6 minutes): Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula.

Monster Tracks (HD): A standard trivia track rounds out the package.
Dracula's Daughter

A Theatrical Trailer (1:24, SD) is included.

Son of Dracula

A Theatrical Trailer (1:37, SD) is included.

House of Frankenstein

Theatrical Trailer (1:41, 480i) - an unrestored, windowboxed trailer that appears to be a re-release trailer. May not be the first trailer that Universal originally ran.

House of Dracula

Theatrical Trailer (1:26, 480i) - an unrestored, slightly windowboxed trailer that appears to be a re-release trailer. May not be the first trailer that Universal originally ran. Note: Don't watch this if you haven't seen the film as it divulges a major spoiler!

Abbott and Costello Meet Dracula

Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters (SD; 33:18) is hosted by historian David J. Skal and offers an enjoyable overview of the comedy duo's interaction with various Universal horror stars.

Feature Commentary with Film Historian Gregory W. Mank. Mank is scholarly but accessible in this very informative and enjoyable commentary. Some of the commentary is frankly of the "now we're seeing" category, but Mank also provides some unexpected little nuggets, like the fact that animation under the credits sequence was probably done by Woody Woodpecker's Walter Lantz and that Glenn Strange was once the singing voice for John Wayne in some of the Duke's early Western films.

Theatrical Trailer (SD; 1:40)

You can get it for about $20

Thanks for the recommendation, just bought the blu-ray collection on Amazon.

Blader

FYI for cinemassacre fans. I was bummed out that James decided to retire the Monster Madness series but he just announced that he'll be reviewing five new movies in what he's called "Son of Monster Madness". I'm glad to see he's keeping it going in some fashion.
Oh nice!

Rydeen

It's crazy this movie is still out of print. I lucked into the DVD and bluray at various places.
Exactly! I sold my DVD copy in preparation to replace it with the bluray copy, then the bluray went out of print immediately afterwards and the price shot up to a ridiculous after-market price. Why the fuck is a film directed by Peter Jackson this hard to find now? I just don't understand.

Okay, so I need help picking a Tobe Hooper movie. It looks like my options are:

- Eaten Alive (1976)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Funhouse (1981)
- Night Terrors (1993)
- The Mangler (1995)

I'm not necessarily looking for the best movie of the bunch (which I'm going to assume is Salem's Lot), but what I'll have the most fun with. Currently I'm into 70s sleaze and 80s cheese so I'm leaning towards either Eaten Alive or The Funhouse. Keep in mind I LOVE Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Whatever I go with will most likely be paired with a re-watch of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a bonus movie - so I'll be watching one of Hooper's best, and possibly one of his... not so best.

So, any opinions on what to go with?

Rydeen

- Eaten Alive (1976)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Funhouse (1981)
- Night Terrors (1993)
- The Mangler (1995)

I'm not necessarily looking for the best movie of the bunch (which I'm going to assume is Salem's Lot), but what I'll have the most fun with. Currently I'm into 70s sleaze and 80s cheese so I'm leaning towards either Eaten Alive or The Funhouse. Keep in mind I LOVE Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Whatever I go with will most likely be paired with a re-watch of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a bonus movie - so I'll be watching one of Hooper's best, and possibly one of his... not so best.

Salem's Lot is the best in terms of quality, but if you're into 70's-80's sleaze then The Funhouse will be right up your alley, it's weird, gonzo slasher fun.

Hex

Banned

- Eaten Alive (1976)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Funhouse (1981)
- Night Terrors (1993)
- The Mangler (1995)

I will tell you, just to maybe help that I LOVE Salem's Lot BUT it was made for tv and is slow as hell. I love it though and it is a good classic.

- Eaten Alive (1976)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Funhouse (1981)
- Night Terrors (1993)
- The Mangler (1995)

I've only seen The Funhouse and Salem's Lot out of those 5. I really like both but The Funhouse is probably a more fun watch.

- Eaten Alive (1976)
- Salem's Lot (1979)
- The Funhouse (1981)
- Night Terrors (1993)
- The Mangler (1995)

Out of your options, I'd say Funhouse. It's a nice little slasher. Good atmosphere and make-up. Eaten Alive is an interesting movie. The tone is broad, EC Comics territory. Tobe also got pretty aggressive with the lighting. It's been so long since I saw 'Salem's Lot, I don't remember anything about ti, other than it being good. It's on my list of possibles. But whatever you do, avoid Night Terrors. It's dog shit.... and that might be insulting dog shit.

Salem's Lot is the best in terms of quality, but if you're into 70's-80's sleaze then The Funhouse will be right up your alley, it's weird, gonzo slasher fun.

I will tell you, just to maybe help that I LOVE Salem's Lot BUT it was made for tv and is slow as hell. I love it though and it is a good classic.

I've only seen The Funhouse and Salem's Lot out of those 5. I really like both but The Funhouse is probably a more fun watch.

Out of your options, I'd say Funhouse. It's a nice little slasher. Good atmosphere and make-up. Eaten Alive is an interesting movie. The tone is broad, EC Comics territory. Tobe also got pretty aggressive with the lighting. It's been so long since I saw 'Salem's Lot, I don't remember anything about ti, other than it being good. It's on my list of possibles. But whatever you do, avoid Night Terrors. It's dog shit.... and that might be insulting dog shit.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'll go with Funhouse.

And Night Terrors is off the list, heh.

Ridley327

Since I was in the mood, I decided to do something of a warm-up to get in the mood for what's to come in the next week.

Jack-Frost-1997-movie-poster_thumb3.jpg

Really rather bad, though it's not hard to see some of the craptacular charm that it possesses. The opening credits, with lovingly handcrafted Xmas ornaments featuring the names of the cast and crew on a tree that the camera pans across while an unseen elder regales the backstory (maybe?) to his increasingly frightened granddaughter is the highlight of the film, though there is some demented appeal to watching a teenager get backhanded by a sentient snowman and get decapitated by their own sled. Other than that, it's bad production values, even worse actors and a self-congratulatory tone that seems proud of being in on its own terrible jokes, as if it makes it any better that the film is aware that some will be laughing at it and not with it. I do wonder if Shannon Elizabeth ever gets many questions about this film, since her character doesn't do much but get raped to death by a snowman, which has to count for... something.

Blader

I remember as a kid seeing the VHS of Jack Frost on the shelves at Blockbuster. It was a holographic design, so at one angle the cover was just a regular looking snowman, but at another angle it turned into that^.

Scared the fucking SHIT out of me. Even looking at it now makes me a little uncomfortable :lol

Ridley327

I remember as a kid seeing the VHS of Jack Frost on the shelves at Blockbuster. It was a holographic design, so at one angle the cover was just a regular looking snowman, but at another angle it turned into that^.

Scared the fucking SHIT out of me. Even looking at it now makes me a little uncomfortable :lol

You'll be relieved to know that he does not look anything like that in the film itself. He veers much closer to that other Jack Frost from around the same time that had Michael Keaton in it.

MattyH

just a heads up for UKHorrorGaf with Shudder they have the rather excellent Ghostwatch its a bit cheesy by todays standards but still worth a gander

I try this every year and fail, but I'm in it to fail again this year. Here's my list:

1) IT (2017)
2) Krisha
3) It Comes at Night
4) You're Next
5) Trick 'r Treat
6) Sleepaway Camp
7) Lair of the White Worm
8) Possession
9) The Blackcoat's Daughter
10) Blood and Black Lace
11) Suspiria
12) In the Mouth of Madness (rewatch)
13) The Eyes of my Mother
14) The Void
15) The Thing (rewatch)
16) Lights Out
17) The Last Winter
18) A Girl Walks Alone at Night
19) Creep
20) Eraserhead
21) What We Do in the Shadows (rewatch, I love this movie so much)
22) The Devil's Candy
23) Final Girls
24) The Neon Demon
25) 1922
26) Gerald's Game
27) Chronos
28) Starry Eyes

I obviously need some more movies, so I'd love some recs for movies that aren't super bloody/have a lot of gore. The past few years I've really enjoyed stuff like It Follows, the Babadook, The Witch, Lake Mungo, etc.

hzsn724

I only watch horror movies. I guess I'll play along.

Classics:
Alice, Sweet Alice
Suspiria
Alien
Prom Night
Basketcase
Demons
Demons 2
Evil Dead
The Tingler
The Prowler

Requirements:
Halloween 1-7
Constantine
Trick r Treat
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Monster Squad
Fright Night

New Scares:
IT
Houses October Built 2
Letherface
Jeepers Creepers 3
Resident Evil Vendetta

I'll add more later.

Ridley327

And another warm-up film!

With a title like Body Puzzle, the risk ran high going into it that it would wind up being the best thing about the film, and that turns out to be all too true. Lamberto Bava snoozes in the director's chair as he brings to barely conscious life a police procedural with slasher-style killings, treating both with only the bare minimum of effort in terms of bringing something to them beyond a perfunctory level of execution. What makes the lack of effort all too frustrating is that the screenplay is gonzo enough to hand Bava some rather insane moments to stage, including a decidedly mean-spirited moment involving a killing in front of blind children that sounds nasty in theory. Without a modicum of inspiration in the direction, the holes in the screenplay become all too obvious, leading the viewer to eternal bafflement as the only way that any of this film could proceed as it does hinges on whether or not that you can believe that cops have always been this monumentally stupid. That could have and frankly should have resolved if the filmmaking was wild enough to make that an easy-to-ignore facet, but we're left with a real limp noodle instead, making you wonder how this could feel so long and waste its poor taste potential. Even run-of-the-mill films in the genre feel more lively and vibrant than this one could ever hope to be.

izakq

Rigor Mortis and The Love Witch are both fantastic but they are both so narrow in their focus that I can understand why some might not like them. Rigor Mortis in particular might come across as a little unintelligible if one doesn't really know the Mr. Vampire flicks.

Planet Terror
Re-Animator
Demons
We Are Still Here
Dead Snow 1 and 2
Return of the Living Dead
Slither
Dead Alive
Night of the Creeps

Thank you gentlemen.

Another quick question. Would Shin Godzilla be considered horror or is it too much on the Sci-Fi side?

Ridley327

Thank you gentlemen.

Another quick question. Would Shin Godzilla be considered horror or is it too much on the Sci-Fi side?

I mean, if you want to get technical, it's more of a political satire than anything else, but the Godzilla scenes themselves are staged in a way where he's seldom been scarier.

Top Bottom