• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Pollux

Actually some really interesting options all over the place. I like the hunter tiers, although I didn't see anything too mindblowingly awesome.

Cipherr

Um, holy shit at Invocation talent for Mage.

Thats what I was looking at too. So Arcane mages that dont want to min/max can spec invocation and just spam ArcBlast until OOM, then use two back to back evocations since it has no cooldown, and refill their mana bars, then do it again. They would have to stack haste to get those evo durations down to as low as possible, but still.... It wont be the most effective dps more than likely, but it will be an option. Extremely interesting.

strafer

AlyoN-sCMAAKi_A.jpg
Alyp0zZCQAAGvZ-.jpg
Alyp8TqCIAAcGQH.jpg
AlyqD3zCQAEc7p_.jpg

Yummy.

Um, holy shit at Invocation talent for Mage.

It's a little weird for a tradeoff, but maybe the fights have more downtime than we're used to? Rune of Power seems a lot more interesting.

Actually invocation would be hilarious if they kept the heal glyph...
they won't :(

Rokal

A lot of the new talents remind me of dota/LoL abilities, though slightly dumbed down by not being skill-shots.

This was the impression I got too, particularly with some of the new hunter stuff. It's possible that they're to try to introduce more skill-based gameplay like what TERA has, but I'd actually be surprised if these abilities made the live release.

TheYanger

It's a little weird for a tradeoff, but maybe the fights have more downtime than we're used to? Rune of Power seems a lot more interesting.

Actually invocation would be hilarious if they kept the heal glyph...
they won't :(

I was looking at them and thinking Rune of Power seemed a bit funky, I would think as arcane it simply wouldn't be enough additional regen to not have evocate, and then I was thinking about invocation again and if you have any haste at all it's a dps gain to cast evocate, which is cool. You would probably keep your average mana level higher as arcane if you did it every 30 seconds, plus the buff outweighs the downtime, making it a nice choice.

I was looking at them and thinking Rune of Power seemed a bit funky, I would think as arcane it simply wouldn't be enough additional regen to not have evocate, and then I was thinking about invocation again and if you have any haste at all it's a dps gain to cast evocate, which is cool. You would probably keep your average mana level higher as arcane if you did it every 30 seconds, plus the buff outweighs the downtime, making it a nice choice.

Yeah you're probably right. I think "wow double the mana regen!" and it sounds nice but it's easy to forget that base regen is a miniscule part of overall arcane regen. And realizing that makes it more interesting, since losing base regen to get invocation isn't actually much of a sacrifice.

Glad they seem to be rethinking the Priest 87 ability, the old one was confusing as shit.

Also it looks like Druids are getting one hundred different CCs and vanish-blink and Symbiosis. Still WoW's most spoiled class :mad: (still have instant-cast flight form?!)

idlewild_

Yeah you're probably right. I think "wow double the mana regen!" and it sounds nice but it's easy to forget that base regen is a miniscule part of overall arcane regen. And realizing that makes it more interesting, since losing base regen to get invocation isn't actually much of a sacrifice.

Mage armor no longer gives mana regen, so looks like base regen + evocate + mana gems are your tools. There was also a blizz post about base mana regen:

Question: What is "base mana regeneration"? How does mana regen work for casters (or mages)?
Answer: Healers get a significant amount of mana regeneration from Spirit, even during combat. Additionally, all mana users have a small amount of mana regeneration -- currently about 1% of maximum mana per second. With Invocation, that 1%/sec is removed. Things like Innervate will still allow you to regenerate mana, but you won’t passively regenerate any with Invocation.

10% mp5 from rune would be quite a bit, though i'm not sure how arcane would play out with int not increasing mana pools (and presumably not getting increased mana regen from spi.) part of the powerful feeling i got on my alt mage when gearing up was due to the increased mana pool allowing me to stay in a burn phase longer.

ultron87

So I randomly started my account up again with a 7-day trial. Haven't played since a couple months after Cataclysm came out.

Is there any cool content that was released in the last year that I should check out as a level 85? Apparently there's some sort of troll questline I started up from the bulletin board in SW.

So I randomly started my account up again with a 7-day trial. Haven't played since a couple months after Cataclysm came out.

Is there any cool content that was released in the last year that I should check out as a level 85? Apparently there's some sort of troll questline I started up from the bulletin board in SW.
Troll questline leads to ZA/ZG. It does give a lot of gold though, one of the quests gave me I think ~200 gold in rewards. ZA and ZG were turned into awesome fairly difficult 5 mans that gave superior gear for the time, but now they're just run as regular heroics and aren't as relevant except for the ZA bear run.

You should try raid finder if you're geared enough, or the Twilight Hour heroics (they're like the ICC 5 mans, you do them in a row and they have a storyline). I personally don't give a shit about WoW lore, but the dungeon mechanics aren't bad.

Mastery, Mastery, Mastery. If it doesn't have Mastery on it, reforge to it. Unless you're considering socket bonuses (+20 or better), gem straight Mastery. After that? Prioritize Dodge and Parry, doesn't matter which one.

Also, your spec needs fixing. Drop Eternal Glory. If you're using Word of Glory on yourself your healer sucks. Drop Reckoning to 1 point or 0 points. It's mainly for threat generation and after the recent buff to tank threat, any threat generation talents, especially ones with random chances of proc'ing like that, aren't very useful. Pick up Hallowed Ground. Consecration is a bread and butter AE threat maintainer and that reduces its cost and and increases its damage. A no brainer especially if you're an off-tank in raids or doing heroics. Also, you are missing one of your essential raid cooldowns for oh-shit moments: Divine Guardian. Get that. You shouldn't be without it.

Sarcasm

Mastery, Mastery, Mastery. If it doesn't have Mastery on it, reforge to it. Unless you're considering socket bonuses (+20 or better), gem straight Mastery. After that? Prioritize Dodge and Parry, doesn't matter which one.

Also, your spec needs fixing. Drop Eternal Glory. If you're using Word of Glory on yourself your healer sucks. Drop Reckoning to 1 point or 0 points. It's mainly for threat generation and after the recent buff to tank threat, any threat generation talents, especially ones with random chances of proc'ing like that, aren't very useful. Pick up Hallowed Ground. Consecration is a bread and butter AE threat maintainer and that reduces its cost and and increases its damage. A no brainer especially if you're an off-tank in raids or doing heroics. Also, you are missing one of your essential raid cooldowns for oh-shit moments: Divine Guardian. Get that. You shouldn't be without it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#bc01!!kbjSeWTeeQ!Ygj

Something like that?

Also probably can drop Guarded by the light and maybe keep 2/2 reckoning and 1/2 eye for an eye.

Cipherr

Man there is going to be some serious synergy in the Mage talents. I was thinking about how invocation would work for Arcane, casting the evo forces you to stand still, so that could be a problem, but then I remembered the tier 1 talents.

Those two combined sort of wipes that problem out, and it allows you to come out of the evo with an instance ArcBlast to get back to dps 2 seconds faster. With evocate restoring 15% mana instantly also, folks will probably channel the first one completely for 60% mana, then start a new cast and cancel it for the cost of a single global and net 75% mana total.

TheYanger

You don't get the damage buff if the channel doesn't finish, it's actually to your benefit to let it finished because of that (You lose damage if you cancel it, no matter what. You gain damage if you have even 1 haste rating and let it finish casting).

TheYanger

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#bc01!!kbjSeWTeeQ!Ygj

Something like that?

Also probably can drop Guarded by the light and maybe keep 2/2 reckoning and 1/2 eye for an eye.

Don't drop Guarded by the Light. Using word of glory on yourself is totally normal, it doesn't mean you have a 'bad' healer that's ridiculous. A big self heal when you need it will save your butt. Hallowed Ground is ok, especially when you're just starting out I suppose, but tbh you don't need it, hammer of the righteous is going to be much more important to your AE.

Cipherr

You don't get the damage buff if the channel doesn't finish, it's actually to your benefit to let it finished because of that (You lose damage if you cancel it, no matter what. You gain damage if you have even 1 haste rating and let it finish casting).

Yes, but in my example, you let the first one finish to completion. At that point you have 60% mana, and a 30 second buff. The question is, if you recast evo and immediately cancel it, should you not still have about 28 seconds left of the buff from the first completed evocation?

idlewild_

Yes, but in my example, you let the first one finish to completion. At that point you have 60% mana, and a 30 second buff. The question is, if you recast evo and immediately cancel it, should you not still have about 28 seconds left of the buff from the first completed evocation?

if you really wanted to do it that way, you would probably want to cut your first evo short so that you have the full 30s on the damage buff from the second evocate.

TheYanger

if you really wanted to do it that way, you would probably want to cut your first evo short so that you have the full 30s on the damage buff from the second evocate.

Yes you would keep the buff, but you wouldn't refresh it. you'd be wasting the buff. As noted it'd be better to cast, cancel, cast and finish. But neither is better thansimply casting it once and letting it finish every 30 seconds.

Audioboxer

Leveling a Mage and Rogue just now, have Rogue almost at 40, and Mage at 32. Getting a bit bored :( Might try a Shaman up to 30... or should I hold out a bit longer on those classes? Pretty wank mages don't get decent AOE to such high levels now.

Bah cant get the hang of grid and Xperl is ok but Its bloody confusing to setup for healing.

Like theres all kinds of crap I dont want appearing, I cant figure out how to have it show what rough amount is going to be healed like the default UI doesin BGs and party's this odd Raid style UI keeps popping up and getting in the way!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Bah cant get the hang of grid and Xperl is ok but Its bloody confusing to setup for healing.

Like theres all kinds of crap I dont want appearing, I cant figure out how to have it show what rough amount is going to be healed like the default UI doesin BGs and party's this odd Raid style UI keeps popping up and getting in the way!

I had the same problems with grid as you did, hugely confusing.
Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure what you get with just grid installed, let's say you have two text options (which you can find in options>indicators. both center text and center text 2 should be listed) the center text could be used to display player name as default. You can then set up the second text to show 'incoming heals' by going indicators>center text 2> click on incoming heals.
Depending on what level you are you may need to go to the incoming heal options and set the minimum threshold to a lower amount as it'll only show heals above a certain amount.
That's done by going to status, then scrolling down to incoming heals making sure you have it enabled and the min threshold is where you want it.

Hope that all makes sense, just play around with the options till you feel you understand it.

As for the last part, it may be the xperl version of raid frames. There's an option in the xperl settings where you can turn off the raid frames from appearing. I haven't used it in ages but I think they're small, thin columns of up to 5 players in each. They also look like the xperl frames that you are probably using for your player frame etc
Google" xperl raid frames" and check images.

Edit: I may have misunderstood which one you were talking about. ;)

I started to feel like a lot of the stuff xperl had to offer was pointless for me so I ditched that for the default ui frames and just used grid for partys/raids etc

What about grid are you having trouble this? maybe some of us can help.

I haven't been following these talents very much, and excuse me if I'm dead wrong about omething here, but won't these 3 boil down to which one is the biggest dps increase after everyone's done their math on Elitist Jerks?

Edit: And as such... it'll just be a cookie cutter tier? Exactly what Blizzard didn't want with the new talents?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It was being discussed on this page, but no one posted a picture cause everyone has seen it I guess.

All you have to do is log in and the entire city is covered in them.

I'm hoping that Shuriken spam + Deadly throw finishers is a viable ranged rogue spec where you stand 30 yards away and just chuck shit at the enemy.

I haven't been following these talents very much, and excuse me if I'm dead wrong about omething here, but won't these 3 boil down to which one is the biggest dps increase after everyone's done their math on Elitist Jerks?

Edit: And as such... it'll just be a cookie cutter tier? Exactly what Blizzard didn't want with the new talents?
You're missing the point entirely. There's literally no possible way you could make it so Elitist Jerks doesn't figure out what does the most DPS and then half the people go do it. The best you can do is try to make the choices fun and as equal as you can feasibly get them.

Almost all of the choices they're giving are pretty interesting - even the ones that do less DPS involve interesting game play changes, i.e. Runic Corruption vs. Empowerment.

ch0mp

Each of the dark souls are spec specific anyway. Misery - aff, knowledge - demo and instability for destro.

You're missing the point entirely. There's literally no possible way you could make it so Elitist Jerks doesn't figure out what does the most DPS and then half the people go do it. The best you can do is try to make the choices fun and as equal as you can feasibly get them.

Almost all of the choices they're giving are pretty interesting - even the ones that do less DPS involve interesting game play changes, i.e. Runic Corruption vs. Empowerment.

Yeah I know. Blizzard can try their hardest and people will still end up figuring out what's the best possible build, or whatever. I do like this new approach...

I had the same problems with grid as you did, hugely confusing.
Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure what you get with just grid installed, let's say you have two text options (which you can find in options>indicators. both center text and center text 2 should be listed) the center text could be used to display player name as default. You can then set up the second text to show 'incoming heals' by going indicators>center text 2> click on incoming heals.
Depending on what level you are you may need to go to the incoming heal options and set the minimum threshold to a lower amount as it'll only show heals above a certain amount.
That's done by going to status, then scrolling down to incoming heals making sure you have it enabled and the min threshold is where you want it.

Hope that all makes sense, just play around with the options till you feel you understand it.

As for the last part, it may be the xperl version of raid frames. There's an option in the xperl settings where you can turn off the raid frames from appearing. I haven't used it in ages but I think they're small, thin columns of up to 5 players in each. They also look like the xperl frames that you are probably using for your player frame etc
Google" xperl raid frames" and check images.

Edit: I may have misunderstood which one you were talking about. ;)

I started to feel like a lot of the stuff xperl had to offer was pointless for me so I ditched that for the default ui frames and just used grid for partys/raids etc

What about grid are you having trouble this? maybe some of us can help.

Ill try and jig it about today, but Grid I couldn't seem to make the bars bigger and they way it displays who has low health etc is not how I wanted (it turns pinker?) where as im after basically an xperl style bar that can show what incoming healing can potentially heal (so I know big heal VS little heal)

I suppose I could drop Xperl and just get move anything and increase the size of the party UI though!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Ill try and jig it about today, but Grid I couldn't seem to make the bars bigger and they way it displays who has low health etc is not how I wanted (it turns pinker?) where as im after basically an xperl style bar that can show what incoming healing can potentially heal (so I know big heal VS little heal)

I suppose I could drop Xperl and just get move anything and increase the size of the party UI though!

The size is pretty easy to change, its just frame>frame height/width, first two options.
Not sure about the low health color change. I tried to get myself low and heal back up after changing a few options but the color won't change so not sure how that's done.
Try checking status>health>low hp warning and see what the color there is. Mine's on white.

Can't remember exactly how xperl displays their incoming heals but I think it was a bar wasn't it? It's like it's predicting how much your heal will refill your health bar by using a slightly lighter shade colored bar than your health bar, if that makes sense. Is that right?

I don't think grid is able to do that. The way I suggested was it'll display your incoming heal size in text (as a number). It's particularly useful if you also set up grid to display your health deficit as text also.
That way you can see how much you've lost and can then choose a heal that's suitable.

In the screens you can see how the numbers will display differently depending what you're casting.
Not sure if that's kind of what you want.

The default frames aren't too bad but the thing that's stopping me from using them is that PITA bug where a player's frame overlaps with another when someone leaves and joins the raid/party. Really annoying in Bgs. You think you're healing someone only to be selecting someone else 'cause the frames are screwed...

Cipherr

Yes you would keep the buff, but you wouldn't refresh it. you'd be wasting the buff. As noted it'd be better to cast, cancel, cast and finish. But neither is better thansimply casting it once and letting it finish every 30 seconds.

I was thinking you would cast two because of the Arcane mages mastery. Dont you do a lot more damage when your mana bar is full vs 60% due to the mastery? In that case, it seems like it would be worth casting two of them to top off. But you are right, canceling the first one early and letting the second one finish would definitely be a smarter way to do it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those dark soul ones are pretty shit though >_<; (Are they spec talents or choice talents?)

It's not 30 mastery rating points, it's 30 mastery. That's like a ~45% increase in fire/shadow damage. Plus the other ones are 30% haste (i.e. just shy of heroism) and 30% crit on 2 minute cooldowns (i.e. like 17% uptime) . I'm failing to see what's wrong with them.

TheYanger

It's not 30 mastery rating points, it's 30 mastery. That's like a ~45% increase in fire/shadow damage. Plus the other ones are 30% haste (i.e. just shy of heroism) and 30% crit on 2 minute cooldowns (i.e. like 17% uptime) . I'm failing to see what's wrong with them.

30% is actually exactly the same as lust/hero/warp ;)

seriously, this valentines day achievement is such a bitch. The fist full of love achievement is the absolute worst on mal'ganis.. considering there are 0 alliance players here. Seriously, I went to stormwind and I saw only a handful of alliance players.. none of which were the ones I needed for my achivement.

I did two alterac valleys, and I saw only one I needed, a Human death knight... and for some odd reasons, most of the people in the AV were playing humans o_O

now I'm doing it by paying someone 1kg to make alts for me to throw the fistful of rose petals at : (

Rokam

seriously, this valentines day achievement is such a bitch. The fist full of love achievement is the absolute worst on mal'ganis.. considering there are 0 alliance players here. Seriously, I went to stormwind and I saw only a handful of alliance players.. none of which were the ones I needed for my achivement.

I did two alterac valleys, and I saw only one I needed, a Human death knight... and for some odd reasons, most of the people in the AV were playing humans o_O

now I'm doing it by paying someone 1kg to make alts for me to throw the fistful of rose petals at : (

If you haven't already found someone, whisper me on Mal'Ganis, Motanix, I can help you out no charge.

Sarcasm

How easy is lfr? I ask cause I can queue up but as a tank or you think I can DPS in my PVP spec?

Character armory is posted up a few posts.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
How easy is lfr? I ask cause I can queue up but as a tank or you think I can DPS in my PVP spec?

Well I don't have any experience with it myself but LFR was made to be accessible. IMO as long as go in there knowing how to play your class and at least have some knowledge of the fights then you'll be more than fine. LFR is there to give players a taste of raiding, it shouldn't be too hard to run. Go as dps first as I think with tanking you'll need to have more knowledge of the instance than with dps and heals.
I've heard horror stories of people going in there and not having one clue what they are doing and not pulling their weight at all so I doubt the expectation of many in LFR is all that high.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

LFR Tanking boils down to Taunt at 3 stacks for Morchok, 3 stacks for Yorashj, Warlord and Hagara are one tank fights. Warlord let the ball bounce and face him away from the raid, Hagara, backpedal when she focus assaults.

Ultraxion is taunt when fading light comes up, use your button when you get it with >3 seconds left, and hit a CD for hour of twilight. Warmaster is take one of the two big adds, swap between each set because of the debuff you get, then taunt at 3 stacks once Warmaster lands. String CDs when he starts getting >20-30%. Spine is either collect bloods or hold the big add away from the bloods until it's low, get 9 stacks of dead bloods, then get back to the plating for the explosion. Madness is simply tank the large tentacle in the back once the other tank gets impale, tank the bloods near the raid for cleave, and tank the big adds at the end.

As others have said, be prepared to wipe due to general stupidity of others. I find better people raid on Tuesdays, while people who are....less knowledgeable do it later in the week. As for your gear, if you can queue for LFR actually wearing the gear you have on instead of "cheating" in with all 377 pvp blues, you're probably fine.

And I cannot get Bloodfang Hat or Chest to drop off Nefarian. BWL sucks because the first boss is sooo much easier with 3 people, but no one in my guild ever wants to run it.

Top Bottom