• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Main series Pokémon games pass 200 million units sold worldwide (279m w/ spinoffs)

JoeM86

The Pokémon Company sent out a press release today.

Pokémon main series games have passed 200 million units sold. I was the same as you, thinking "this happened already", but the number we had was including spin-offs.

This is as of February 29th 2016 and includes the Virtual Console releases of Red, Green, Blue & Yellow and it's now at 201 million.

Including spin-offs, Pokémon has passed 279 million units, also as of February 29th 2016

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160317-00000039-famitsu-game
生から20年…ゲーム『ポケットモンスター』シリーズ
世界累計販売本数2億本突破!

株式会社ポケモン(東京都港区、代表取締役社長:石原恒和)は、ゲームソフト『ポケットモンスター』シリーズが、2016年2月末までに世界累計販売本数2億本を突破したことを発表いたします。

1996年2月27日、任天堂のゲームボーイ用ソフト『ポケットモンスター 赤・緑』が発売されたことから、ポケモンの歴史が始まりました。本シリーズは、個性あふれる不思議な生き物「ポケモン」を捕まえたり、育てたり、友だちと交換したり、対戦したり……世代・国境・文化を越えて誰もが楽しめる遊びの要素が詰まったロールプレイングゲームです。これまでに合計25タイトルが発売され、発見されたポケモンの数は、700種類を超えています。

このたび、2016年2月29日時点で、シリーズの累計販売本数が2億100万本(※1)を記録しました。本シリーズ以外の作品も含めた、すべてのポケモン関連ソフトの累計販売本数は、2億7900万本以上(※2)となっております。

●2016年冬には完全新作が登場! 9言語対応に期待の声
 今年冬には、シリーズ最新作となるニンテンドー3DSソフト『ポケットモンスター サン』『ポケットモンスター ムーン』を、世界で発売いたします。これまでは、日本語・英語・フランス語・イタリア語・ドイツ語・スペイン語・韓国語の7つの言語に対応しておりましたが、今作では新たに中国語の繁体字、簡体字にも対応し、プレイヤーは全部で9種類の言語から選んで遊ぶことができます。
 インターネット放送で新作発売の発表をした際には、世界中のユーザーの間で大きな話題を呼びました。特に、初めてのローカライズとなる中国語圏のファンからは、発売に大きな期待を抱く言葉が多く寄せられました。

『ポケットモンスター サン・ムーン』のセールスによって、2億本の記録をさらに塗り替えてまいります。最新作に、どうぞご期待ください!

※1 2016年2月29日株式会社ポケモン調べ(『ポケットモンスター赤・緑・青・ピカチュウ』バーチャルコンソール版を含む)
※2 2016年2月29日株式会社ポケモン調べ(『ポケモン超不思議のダンジョン』等、その他のポケモンのゲームソフトも併せた数字)

I never imagined we would go through all these years without an actual 3D Action Adventure Pokemon game. It has been highly requested since Nintendo 64.

JoeM86

I never imagined we would go through all these years without an actual 3D Action Adventure Pokemon game. It has been highly requested since Nintendo 64.

Yeah no

27-northboulevard.jpg

Let's not go down this path.

As comparison: GTA sits at 235 Million

It's very likely that Pokémon will pass it before GTAVI comes.

GTA V has been an utter beast for sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wow, that's awesome. Well, deserved, one of My favourite Series. Probabily the Second after Mario 3D.

I guess all games combined should break 300 million soon with Moon and Sun release, probabily about 2/3 years.

sackninja

Nintendo is slaying so hard right now

Your faves wish they were on their levels

Poor Sony and Microsoft

Not hating on pokemon or anything, love the games, but if Sony and Microsoft released 2 to 4 versions of all it's games it could probably up the sale quite a lot.

Also does 79 million sales between all the spin-offs seem really low compared to the main games. There's been an absolute ton of them.

Memory

Not hating on pokemon or anything, love the games, but if Sony and Microsoft released 2 to 4 versions of all it's games it could probably up the sale quite a lot.

Also does 79 million sales between all the spin-offs seem really low compared to the main games. There's been an absolute ton of them.

Thatsbait.gif

JoeM86

You do know you're not meant to buy all the versions right? It's there for friends to get different versions and you to trade between them with your friends to fill your Pokédex.

Seiniyta

Yeah no

27-northboulevard.jpg

Let's not go down this path.

What you're saying is technically correct. Pokemon has had 3D rpg games now ever since colloseum. However, what people I think want when they talk about that is a game where the world itself is more 'grand' with the camera perspective behind the main character instead of a still mostly top down view.

A game where people can more closely view the game from the perspective of the trainer you're playing, where you can really take in the scope of the region you're in.

The poképark game from that screenshot you posted is sorta what I think people want. Just with the regular pokémon gameplay (battle wise, etc)

Such a game would be much more expensive to make, and hasn't been made as the handheld titles simply sell way better then the console titles. And even with handhelds that get more powerful, the more topdown view just seems to make more sense for handhelds.

Syntsui

True, but let's not forget how Pokémon games sell 10M on the average with each release. I'm pretty sure we'll get at 3/4 Main releases before GTA comes trough again :p

To be honest, each main GTA is worth those 3/4 main Pokémon releases, sales-wise. But anyway, I'm happy to see these numbers, I love this franchise to death and it's good to know it's still healthy and moving big numbers.

To be honest, each main GTA is worth those 3/4 main Pokémon releases, sales-wise.

i wonder how budgets compare. i wouldn't be surprised if dev cost for one GTA is equal to the the entire Pokemon franchise

jk, sort of
i know pokemon r/b cost a shit ton to make

My little brother keep asking me when are the following coming out

Pokemon G/S/C on E-Shop (I really want Silver)

New Pokemon Ranger

New Pokepark

Pokemon Stadium

Or a new Pokemon colosseum / game of darkness type of game

ajim

Excellent. Pokémon is Amazing even at 30 years of age lol.

Give me a new Pokémon snap please Nintendooooo!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Don't forget that Pokemon has an avenue outside of games.

merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You do know you're not meant to buy all the versions right? It's there for friends to get different versions and you to trade between them with your friends to fill your Pokédex.
Really? Wish I had known before I bought all 4 gen 6 games :(

(I did it because I want my living dex to only have my OT or in-game gifts/event distributions, and especially because of legendaries)

someone explain to me why you would want G/S/C when HG and SS exist
Probably for nostalgia reasons. Sometimes it's nice to look back and see how far it has come.

That slow ass Gen IV engine kills HG and SS for me.
Damn, those games are slow too? I was annoyed by how slow Platinum felt when I played it last year, and was expecting HeartGold to be an improvement. This makes me not want to start it, even though it's inside my 3DS right now...

Anth0ny

Damn, those games are slow too? I was annoyed by how slow Platinum felt when I played it last year, and was expecting HeartGold to be an improvement. This makes me not want to start it, even though it's inside my 3DS right now...

yeah gen 4 is the fucking worst for that. slow af.

gen 5 felt soooooooo good in comparison.

Top Bottom