• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of Mayhem -66% on Steam

Ibuki

Banned
I was speaking generally about all versions of the game but that makes sense.

That makes sense. Otherwise you would be right, it seems that PC games with a physical release are dropping really low on Amazon. (Mass Effect Andromeda, Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, ETC)

Fitz

I've not had performance issues, but there are still a ton of technical issues, at least on PC. I doubt they'll ever get fixed now judging by Volition's recent staff loss and this desperate sale.

Rarely regret game purchases, but got burned here. I like the concept, but it clearly needed a lot more time.

spad3

latest

ShogunX

I know it's a bit bandwagon at the moment but a game like this full of wacky weapons could of really benefited from a BR mode.

Dysun

I know it's an easy thing to say they should have made SR5, but at the same time I wanted something new. Be careful what you wish for, I guess

Mechazawa

I legitimately don't think I've ever seen a game cut their price down that fast and that low on Steam.

I know it's an easy thing to say they should have made SR5, but at the same time I wanted something new. Be careful what you wish for, I guess

Is this even that far removed from a Saints Row 5?

The shooting and driving mechanics and style of humor in this are probably what people would've gotten in a new theoretical Saints Row.

If this game had co op i really think it would have found a larger audience on PC

It’s a good but extremely flawed game that I have a hard time thinking of the “right” price for

patchday

I thought this game would have coop. Would have bought it. Now I do like superheroes but they just dont feel like traditional heroes since everyone has a gun. I guess they are 'superagents'. I'm a little curious but just no time to spare really

A-V-B

They drove that series into the ground and personally I think that would have bombed too.

I don't necessarily think so. A natural step would've been a return to the roots of SR2. It didn't have to be a bigger and more extravagant superhero simulator.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't necessarily think so. A natural step would've been a return to the roots of SR2. It didn't have to be a bigger and more extravagant superhero simulator.

Actually a SR5 extravagant superhero simulator would have probably sold amazingly. Agents of Mayhem is nothing like that and the gameplay somehow manages to be more ground than SR3.
Going back to being a shitty clone of GTA would be terrible idea.

In the Lawbreakers thread, some say that lack of single player killed it.

Which way do yall want it to be?
Different games, different gameplay, different needs?
Like is this some sort of rocket science or something?

This game would have done better as a single player game with co-op features. That's it.

NeonZ

In full disclosure while I have had the game since launch I haven't really progressed that far but that's actually indicative of how boring the Fucking game is because I played SR 2, 3, 4 and GooH(with my normal Saints Row character thanks to a mod) for months none stop with multiple created characters.

They lost the plot pure and simple. Oh well at least they got Rockstar to step their game up.

I think the only "plot" they really lost was stepping away from the open world focus. It's pretty clear since SR4 (where the open world was mostly inherited from SR3 with most of the new content going to the single player missions that took place outside of the open world) that they wanted to focus on a more closed experience, but, as this game showed, they didn't really have any hook to sell that kind of game.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That was fast. Considering picking it up now.

You should. The August Gaunt parts are worth the price of admission imo.

You can tell that this is an extremely well made game but the missteps slap you in the face extremely hard.

I hope that Volition comes out the other end ok. The layoffs suck, but I hope that it didn't totally affect the core team. I also hope that they're not going to be relegated to being the Saint's Row studio going forward. They need to be able to spread their wings from time to time.

I definitely recommend it at that price. It's a good game with a great combat system, it just needed more variety in environments and activities. (Things from Saints Row like Insurance Fraud or vehicle missions are sorely missed.) You also get modern Saints Row's surprisingly solid character development and an extremely diverse (AKA interesting) cast.

And while co-op would be fun in theory, I'm honestly uncertain if that could actually work without severely hurting the existing core gameplay loop. To survive the more difficult battles you're switching through characters extremely rapidly, and in terms of scale you're already fighting dozens of opponents at once. I suppose it could work just like co-op can work in tag-team fighting games, where one player always sits out the action, but I don't think many players would be happy with that.

Lijik

And while co-op would be fun in theory, I'm honestly uncertain if that could actually work without severely hurting the existing core gameplay loop. To survive the more difficult battles you're switching through characters extremely rapidly, and in terms of scale you're already fighting dozens of opponents at once. I suppose it could work just like co-op can work in tag-team fighting games, where one player always sits out the action, but I don't think many players would be happy with that.

I dont think the hurt would be as severe as you think especially considering a lot of the difficult fights near the end are only difficult because they force you to split your attention between a giant enemy wave and an enemy type (typically turrets) that make your life a pain in the ass if you dont get rid of them fast. It wouldve been a lot more enjoyable to just tell a friend "You take on the mob, Ill focus on the turret" instead of spending money on mulligans to counteract getting caught in some explosion that takes out all of my agents because i decided to focus on the wrong thing amidst all the chaos right that second.

Definitely worth the money. I'd recommend anyone who gets it to just mainline the story and only do side missions when absolutely necessary to level up. Otherwise you may burn out quickly.

Agents of Maybe they'll patch the game some more. For those asking, this game has received one patch and it did little in the way of performance. IIRC, the patch notes don't state anything about performance at all. *shrugs*

Alebelly

Its a fun game. Ive played enough to where I only have 8 crystal shards left to collect, out of 350.

Would I recommend it, I have no clue, just a giant YMMV sticker all across it.

ryseing

They drove that series into the ground and personally I think that would have bombed too.

A SR5 that went back to being more grounded would do very well, especially as GTAVI may not be out until the next console generation.

There's definitely a void for that sort of experience, especially after how Watch Dogs 2 disappointed, but instead Volition made an SP hero shooter for some reason.

It's almost like they're competing for different audiences...

I don't think Lawbreakers would have done better if it had SP and launched at $60 FWIW. Should have stayed F2P and maybe leaned a bit more into the Overwatch memorable character stuff (and by memorable characters I mean waifus), which is a huge part of that game's success.

Agents of Mayhem however? Definitely should have been a co-op focused game from the start.

The people who say that about Lawbreakers are wrong. Lots of things killed that game, but single player isn't a deciding factor when a lot of the most successful games this year were multiplayer only.

Nydius

I enjoyed playing through it and getting 100% once but was FULLY done with it afterward and have no desire to play it again. It's the epitome of a rental game, IMO.

$20 on PC might be worth it BUT, at the same time, maybe not since you can't resell it and recover any of that cost back - and, frankly, at this point the only direction the price can go is down. Would anyone be surprised come holiday sale time if the game is 75% off?

Blam

Well yeah that's what happens when you literally throw out the entire formula you had that worked and try to change it all.

gogosox82

Well yeah that's what happens when you literally throw out the entire formula you had that worked and try to change it all.

As critical as I've been of the game, if this game has co op, I don't even think we are having this discussion because it probably sells well enough as a good fuck around game with your friends like SR4 did. Every SR game has had co op even though they didn't need it but this game that just screams for it? Nope, no co op whatsoever. Its baffling.

Top Bottom