• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Um... getting a bar of soap unstuck from a shower drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

So, I managed to nearly full drop a bar of soap straight down the shower drain. And now it's kinda trapped. Attempts at stabbing at it with a fork to pull it out like a potato have failed, and only pushed the bar down deeper.

I don't know if as the remaining water falls, it's going to bring the bar with it, but I obviously don't want the bar of soap to clog my plumbing.

What's my recourse here? Do I just have to run the water until it dissolves the bar, albeit at a small rate so the shower doesn't overflow?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
And is "shower drain" a euphemism for something?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Why don't you have a drain cover? Are you running a garbage disposal in your shower or something, Kramer?

goodcow

But clearly, as the boiling water dissolves the soap, it's going to slide down the drain further... that's fine and won't do damage as long as I keep running the water for a while?

I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
goodcow said:
So, I managed to nearly full drop a bar of soap straight down the shower drain. And now it's kinda trapped. Attempts at stabbing at it with a fork to pull it out like a potato have failed, and only pushed the bar down deeper.
You have had potatoes in your drain before?

Toddler

How far down the drain is it? You might want to concider your losses and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase whats called a "sewer" or plumbing snake.
20000901_Clogged_Drain_page003img00.jpg

EN5115a0012.gif

goodcow

Online Now! said:
How far down the drain is it? You might want to concider your losses and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase whats called a "sewer" or plumbing snake.
20000901_Clogged_Drain_page003img00.jpg

EN5115a0012.gif

Probably 6 inches or so... at this point the shower door is almost completely fogged over from the steam, so I don't know what's going on, other than seeing some bubbles coming up out of the drain (from the soap, I'd hope), and that it's going at a slow enough rate that it hasn't overflowed.

Do you have something you can try and scoop it out with? Like a bent wire hanger or something might work. Otherwise, just run hot water until it melts away.

for some reason, this thread is hilarious.

i would say try to jam stuff into the soap to at least try to break it in pieces. smaller pieces = dissolve quickly.

Toddler

Well, the bubbles your seeing is the exchange of air space being filled with water and air is getting traped because the drain isn't workng properly (kinda like putting your straw in a cup then putting yourt finger over the top of it, the drink gets traped till you let it "vent"). I've seen drains get hella cloged with a lot less than a bar of soap, and with it that far down the drain I'd shut the water off and either get a plumber over there or if your confedent enough, go get the sewer snake and start gringing it up (it's not that hard, unless you have noodle arms).

Ecrofirt

goodcow said:
But clearly, as the boiling water dissolves the soap, it's going to slide down the drain further... that's fine and won't do damage as long as I keep running the water for a while?

I don't have a drain cover at the moment because the old one was beginning to get frayed around the edges, and I bought a new one off Amazon that doesn't fit quite right.

But what would be the problem with it sliding further down the drain? It'll still keep melting due to the boiling water.

SonnyBoy

Don't they have a specific type of acid that you pour down the drain to break clogs? I'm pretty sure that and some boiling water will do the trick.

goodcow

Online Now! said:
I've seen drains get hella cloged with a lot less than a bar of soap, and with it that far down the drain I'd shut the water off and either get a plumber over there or if your confedent enough, go get the sewer snake and start gringing it up (it's not that hard, unless you have noodle arms).

Well, difference being hair won't be dissolved with just water... as least a bar of soap is soluble.

I turned off the hot water now, and I see the bar has gotten smaller in size, and is kinda just chilling in the pipe for now.

I'll probably get Drano on the way home from work and then run more hot water.

Now, off to work.

goodcow

Ecrofirt said:
But what would be the problem with it sliding further down the drain? It'll still keep melting due to the boiling water.

Well don't drains kinda arc, like that picture someone posted? I dunno, I just don't want to ruin the entire plumbing, but see my post above for an update.

Toddler

goodcow said:
Well don't drains kinda arc, like that picture someone posted? I dunno, I just don't want to ruin the entire plumbing, but see my post above for an update.
True, and that's where most clogs occur. Just keep in mind that if you can't get enough water weight above the Drano to force the clog further down the drain, it just chills untill it desolves (if ever) and thats kinda hard to do sometimes in something a shallow as a shower pan.

ok, just so people know:

draino + boiling water = really hot draino.

really hot draino = dangerous

it can come bubbling back up the drain with a lot of force, right into your face.

Javaman

JodyAnthony said:
ok, just so people know:

draino + boiling water = really hot draino.

really hot draino = dangerous

it can come bubbling back up the drain with a lot of force, right into your face.

This man speaks the truth. Just stick with hot water or a drain snake.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
why would you use a bar of soap in the shower? and more importantly, why didn't anyone ask this question before me?

HomShaBom

Banned
valparaiso said:
why would you use a bar of soap in the shower? and more importantly, why didn't anyone ask this question before me?

wtf is wrong with a bar of soap in the shower?

and damnit, people still haven't learned to never drop the soap.

goodcow said:

They're called hardware stores. Odds are there's one close by.

YakiSOBA

goodcow said:
... so you want me to use liquid body wash?

yes, especially if you live in residence on campus..

1st year... my bar of soap... left it once in the shower, next day was engulfed in pubes... which were not the same color as mine...

goodcow

YakiSOBA said:
yes, especially if you live in residence on campus..

1st year... my bar of soap... left it once in the shower, next day was engulfed in pubes... which were not the same color as mine...

Um... I don't live in a residence or campus... so I don't have that problem...

Ecrofirt

But what's your problem with body wash?

Soap is icky. Leaves my skin all dry and shit. Body wash smells nice and goes on much nicer.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
goodcow said:

The truth comes out, this thread was just an attempt to push Amazon.com

goodcow

Ecrofirt said:
But what's your problem with body wash?

Soap is icky. Leaves my skin all dry and shit. Body wash smells nice and goes on much nicer.

B000FKJQ4G.01._AA150_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA150_SH20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Product Features
* Pack of six 4-ounce bars of lavender scented, natural, and moisturizing soap (24 total ounces)
* Soap is milled four times for premium quality, and contains jojoba and olive oils for keeping your skin smooth and supple
* Includes Vitamin E, a natural antioxidant, for skin conditioning and protection, while palm and coconut oils provide rich lather and gentle cleansing
* One of the few personal care companies to earn the Halal certification, meaning products are made in accordance with Islamic guidelines
* Since 1970, Tom's of Maine has been manufacturing natural personal-care products packaged in recycled materials and made without artificial or animal ingredients or chemicals

Ingredients
Soaps of coconut and palm (coconut and palm oils & soda ash), Glycerin (product of soap), Lavandin & Lavender Oils (lavandin & lavender flowers), Vitamin E (tocopheral acetate), Jojoba And Olive Oil (jojoba seeds and olives), Rosemary Extract (rosemary needles), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C & palm oil)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Man...it's a bar of soap. Run hot water for 30 minutes to disolve it away and forget about it. It won't clog a thing.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
goodcow said:
B000FKJQ4G.01._AA150_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA150_SH20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Product Features
* Pack of six 4-ounce bars of lavender scented, natural, and moisturizing soap (24 total ounces)
* Soap is milled four times for premium quality, and contains jojoba and olive oils for keeping your skin smooth and supple
* Includes Vitamin E, a natural antioxidant, for skin conditioning and protection, while palm and coconut oils provide rich lather and gentle cleansing
* One of the few personal care companies to earn the Halal certification, meaning products are made in accordance with Islamic guidelines
* Since 1970, Tom's of Maine has been manufacturing natural personal-care products packaged in recycled materials and made without artificial or animal ingredients or chemicals

Ingredients
Soaps of coconut and palm (coconut and palm oils & soda ash), Glycerin (product of soap), Lavandin & Lavender Oils (lavandin & lavender flowers), Vitamin E (tocopheral acetate), Jojoba And Olive Oil (jojoba seeds and olives), Rosemary Extract (rosemary needles), Ascorbyl Palmitate (vitamin C & palm oil)

For God's sake. You and amazon.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
What the hell? I click on this thread expecting hilarity and people are serious in here.

The way to handle it is like this:

Don't worry about it. It's a shower drain, nothing thicker than a clump of hair should be going down the thing, so you will not experience a clog/backflow. The flow rate of the water through the drain (a 2" line) should still overcome the flow of water through the shower head (Never ever seen a shower head with a supply line larger than 1") even with the bar of soap in there.

The thing will dissolve and you will live happily ever after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom