• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

jonno394

Unsure if this has been shared, but it's an eye opening read on how third partys can get Amiibos

https://miketendo64.com/2017/05/11/editorial-what-you-dont-know-about-amiibo/

- they need to submit a proposal to Nintendo that consists of things like their design for the amiibo
- they also need to share the function in which it will serve
- details on the go-to-market strategy and timing are required
- info on who will handle the manufacturing of the amiibo, as well as the distribution partner and sales/marketing strategy
- if approved, the developer/publisher will then need to purchase 100,000 NFC (Near Field Communication) tags
- these cost around 30 cents a tag

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Unsure if this has been shared, but it's an eye opening read on how third partys can get Amiibos

https://miketendo64.com/2017/05/11/editorial-what-you-dont-know-about-amiibo/

Pretty neat. So you have to pay at least $30,000 just for NFC chips to get a run of them into stores ... and who knows how much figures themselves usually cost, or the packaging and shipping costs.

Just a heads up, Toys R Us is doing a Buy 1, Get 2 free sale on the Animal Crossing amiibos. It seems the Animal Crossing Amiibo apocalypse is still hitting stores hard.

Anyway, you can't get a better deal than that so jump on it if you still have yet to get the AC ones.

http://www.toysrus.com/searchHandler/index.jsp?promoId=130892366&type=trigger

Y'know, I look at that, and I just think ... do I really need three more Animal Crossing Amiibos just sitting around? Are three of them worth the $8.54 after tax plus the space they take up? I could do other things with that money and space...

The_Kid

I wonder if the Zelda amiibos will ever get restocked... sure three of the botw ones have new production but there are like 5 others we need.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the Zelda amiibos will ever get restocked... sure three of the botw ones have new production but there are like 5 others we need.

They prob will... like a year later. All the rares have been reprinted at some point. I even saw a bunch of Robins in a Gamestop clearance bin for $6! So crazy to see!

RedBoot

They prob will... like a year later. All the rares have been reprinted at some point. I even saw a bunch of Robins in a Gamestop clearance bin for $6! So crazy to see!

It took them about a year and a half to reprint Robin and Lucina (never mind that Codename Steam and FE Fates were released in the interim). At least they were readily available when they were reprinted.

I'd hope Zelda could get faster reprints, but...eh.

Still waiting on Amazon for these Fire Emblem amiibos

Same. Best Buy looks to have stopped taking orders for them, so Amazon might be my only option (unless BB has some in-store this week).

Probably will get me to stop being lazy and pull the trigger on preordering Cloud and a Bayo on BB.

PSFan

No, it hasn't. Amazon is awful about their amiibo preorders. They still haven't put the Alm & Celica amiibo pack up for preorder, and that Fire Emblem game releases this Friday.

The amiibos released yesterday, my Best Buy order shipped and should get here today. What the heck is Amazon's problem with amiibo? lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
i better be able to use my little mac, a boxer, amiibo on arms, a boxing game

if not, how could you pass up such an obvious crossover

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or just give you something random a la Pokken, or perhaps a weapon that could be related to a character, i.e. scanning Mario will give you a fire attribute weapon, sort of like Kirby Planet Robobot.

Velcro Fly

Pretty crazy that they didn't put them up yet.

I'm sure they are getting them they are probably just being cautious about not over selling them.

RedBoot

Yeah, I'd assume they'll go up at some point today like usual, though they haven't sent out an email about the time like they have in the past for other amiibo. Would be nice if Amazon would get a more consistent setup going if they're going to keep having exclusive amiibo in the future.

Either way, I managed to find Alm/Celica at Target, so I don't have to rely on Amazon now. Wonder if these will be rare like...er...every amiibo release so far this year. Yeah.

depward

Animal Crossing amiibo bug bit me hard.

Last day for the buy 1 get 2 free promo.

No way to stack online... unless you go for multiple orders and pay that $5 shipping :/

But! If you have a store nearby, you can make multiple orders and zero shipping to store and pick up your lot of orders.

crimnos

Animal Crossing amiibo bug bit me hard.

Last day for the buy 1 get 2 free promo.

No way to stack online... unless you go for multiple orders and pay that $5 shipping :/

But! If you have a store nearby, you can make multiple orders and zero shipping to store and pick up your lot of orders.

Yep, this was a great offer, managed to pick up the three remaining characters that I cared about and fill out that collection. Of course they arrived in an enormous box with no bubble wrap or padding, but I planned to open them so it wasn't the end of the world, just be cautious.

Yarbskoo

Man, Amazon is really slacking on amiibo.

Anyway, mine just got here from Best Buy. They've got some nice detail.
Qs068lz.png

QMWdR4p.png
MAse5NJ.png

nektEmE.png
0O06pe7.png

Does anyone else's Alm look like he's about to fall over backward? Maybe that's the price of not having a stand.
zX38EX4.png

What is the feeling on the Monster Hunter amiibo coming to US? I was going to draw the line at Japan-only amiibo, but actually saw them in person today and they are pretty awesome. A store here is selling them for $130 total ($19.99 for the four smaller ones and $24.99 for the two bigger ones). That doesn't seem like such a bad price, but if they ever do come out in the US, they would probably be about $5 cheaper than that.

What is the feeling on the Monster Hunter amiibo coming to US? I was going to draw the line at Japan-only amiibo, but actually saw them in person today and they are pretty awesome. A store here is selling them for $130 total ($19.99 for the four smaller ones and $24.99 for the two bigger ones). That doesn't seem like such a bad price, but if they ever do come out in the US, they would probably be about $5 cheaper than that.
Order them off Amazon, prices are a bit cheaper there. I think they'll come to US alongside the game, but if you're in a hurry to own I'd go Amazon.

I think they'll definitely come out over here. Monster Hunter has enjoyed pretty good success I think and I bet the game will do good even though it's a spinoff.

Now I dunno if they'd do all of them at once though,it may just be the first few whenever the game comes out and then the rest in the fall or something (It comes out in June sometime doesn't it? Or we don't know yet?)

Picked up FE amiibo even though I didn't buy the game. I have all the other ones now so I figured what the heck, might as well grab them.

Picked up FE amiibo even though I didn't buy the game. I have all the other ones now so I figured what the heck, might as well grab them.
I picked them up too, even though I didn't get the game. I plan on getting it eventually though. Celica is so pretty, I really like her amiibo. My Alm amiibo has a really bad bent sword, but I'm trying to not let it bother me that much.

Top Bottom