• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

Danny 117

Microsoft giving people $3000 per 1m views on top of monetisation. Oh no how cruel of them.
I'd 'sell out' for 3k no problems. lol

tbm24

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

I'm wondering the same thing. All this tells me is Microsoft is just trying to market their product in different avenues, and decided to choose one with a huge audience. What makes weirder for me is the point of those monetized channels is to make money in the first place.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This could be interesting... If the youtubers involved do not disclose that they have been paid to promote the products, they will be breaking the law.

"The FTC recently amended its Guides Concerning the Use of
Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising (the “Guides”), which
address endorsements by consumers, experts, organizations, and
celebrities in advertising. The amendments, which took effect on
December 1, 2009, clarify – among other things – how the Guides
apply in the context of social and other “new media”.
The amendments to the Guides add examples to illustrate how the
longstanding requirements that “material connections”
(e.g, compensation arrangements) between advertisers and consumer
endorsers must be disclosed. Under the Guides, a material
connection is one that consumers generally would not expect and
that may affect the credibility or weight of the endorsement.
In determining whether a disclosure is required, the threshold
issue is whether an endorsement was made. If a blogger was paid
to blog about the marketer’s product, the blogger’s favorable blog
posts concerning the product will likely be considered an
endorsement under the Guides."

So, which youtubers do you dislike that you fancy getting into legal hot-water?, watch out for a Xbox related video and report it to the FTC :p

iXoPml2o5ksq7.gif

RELIGHT

Banned
This could be interesting... If the youtubers involved do not disclose that they have been paid to promote the products, they will be breaking the law.

So, which youtubers do you dislike that you fancy reporting to the FTC?, watch out for a Xbox related video and report it to the FTC :p

The plot thickens.

tbm24

So, which youtubers do you dislike that you fancy reporting to the FTC?, watch out for a Xbox related video and report it to the FTC :p

Seems like this has escalated already.

_hekk05

Banned
Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

When its an advertisement, you would know that such a message is being delivered to you from MS. Besides, we all know if you see an ad on youtube you just skip when 5 seconds are up. Or use ad block plus.

If the youtuber himself is promoting xbone in his videos without disclosing his financial relationship with MS, and getting money from MS for his troubles, that is certainly astroturfing.

gemoran4

smart, but smells of desperation

I don't think so at all. I actually think it's a fairly low risk and shrewd idea by Microsoft. Basically you can have a 10 different videos with just over 100,000 views and Microsoft would have only had to pay $300 (each) for it. Hell to get a full page ad on the Wall Street Journal costs about $164,000 (B&W) and $92,000 for a half page ad, and that gets circulated to about 2.5 million customers. Equivalently 2.5 million views from youtube videos promoting Xbox One would cost Microsoft about $2,500. It's not desperate, it (from my untrained eye) is actually pretty smart.

Sources for Ad cost/circulation number (i know wiki isn't reliable but i was being lazy looking up their circulation numbers):
http://www.gaebler.com/Newspaper-Advertising-Costs.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall_Street_Journal#cite_note-circ-march2013-1

Duxxy3

I'm wondering the same thing. All this tells me is Microsoft is just trying to market their product in different avenues, and decided to choose one with a huge audience. What makes weirder for me is the point of those monetized channels is to make money in the first place.

It's the same as astroturfing on neogaf (or at least they tried for a little while).

Orayn

Just talked to a friend of mine who's a Machinima partner, he says that these kinds of promotions are for a limited amount of money and the biggest channels in the network tend to gobble it up pretty quickly. Doesn't that just warm your heart?

jem0208

When its an advertisement, you would know that such a message is being delivered to you from MS. Besides, we all know if you see an ad on youtube you just skip when 5 seconds are up. Or use ad block plus.

If the youtuber himself is promoting xbone in his videos without disclosing his financial relationship with MS, and getting money from MS for his troubles, that is certainly astroturfing.

Do we know what they mean by promote? Seems like you're assuming the worst.

tbm24

It's the same as astroturfing on neogaf (or at least they tried for a little while).

Well I don't know what that was about, but before claiming astroturfing, it would help to see what would qualify as the kind of video that Microsoft will add cpm to and to see what people do with it. Claiming illegal practices right off the bat is leaping ahead right away just for the sake of it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So, lets see what the FTC have to say, in their own words:

Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising

Yep, look at Section 255.5, if they don't disclose that they have been materially compensated for the promotion, they have broken the law.

Interestingly, Example 7 is specifically about Video Games & Videogame hardware.
Oh, let the games begin. :D

A $500 machine (with a ton of negative press piggied back before lauch) sold nearly as much as a $400 one (in the main target market)

The sky isn't falling over @ MS. Not even close.

I was going to say 3 million isn't near to 4, but you edited to a US focus.
Just talked to a friend of mine who's a Machinima partner, he says that these kinds of promotions are for a limited amount of money and the biggest channels in the network tend to gobble it up pretty quickly. Doesn't that just warm your heart?
And I'm guessing they don't have to disclose their positive impressions are paid for like with BF4.

Wait, youtubers already peddle and promote things all the time without showing outward preference for them.

I mean, I've seen enough rev3 videos talking about gamefly or netflix to last me 2 lifetimes.

This isn't a big deal.

$3/CPM is suuuuuuuper cheap considering what they're asking. This isn't an ad in the corner of some website, it's a minor celebrity basically endorsing the product. The related message is stronger than any typical impression. It feels really desperate for that reason.

Omega

Banned
do I have to promote it positively? I'd love to see the fall out of that if it's not in the fine print.

pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb
verb: promote; 3rd person present: promotes; past tense: promoted; past participle: promoted; gerund or present participle: promoting

further the progress of (something, esp. a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
"some regulation is still required to promote competition

advance or raise (someone) to a higher position or rank.
"she was promoted to general manager"

tbm24

$3/CPM is suuuuuuuper cheap considering what they're asking. This isn't an ad in the corner of some website, it's a minor celebrity basically endorsing the product. The related message is stronger than any typical impression. It feels really desperate for that reason.

Seems like a good advertisement opportunity than desperation. Unless I'm missing the point of marketing.

Osiris

Might as well go the whole distance and get the full facts from the FTC.

So I've just fired off an email, lets see what their response is, I suggest others, specifically from the US, do the same as I'm a Brit and they may not respond to me :D

I don't think that is including the huge volume of returns. Let's wait a few more months and see what the install base is then.

What is your basis for the huge amount of returns..? I'm sure there are people who purchased the console and didn't like it, but there have been no very large issues to merit a huge amount of returns. Personally I have both, and I believe whichever console a consumer chooses-they got a good console, and both companies should and will continue to see success throughout the generation.

Salex_

Desperate for what? lol Last I checked they have sold XBO well
Depends on how you define "well". People are forgetting that the 360 outsold the PS3 by around 15 million in the US and had a good lead in the UK. Now? They're clearly losing in the Uk and they have a lower LTD in the US. NPD showed that the results were close even though the PS4 is sold out everywhere in the US and MS has plenty of supply in the US. All of this is occuring after the claims of retail launch lineups being so important. What will happen when the price starts to matter in the upcoming months and the post launch exclusives come out?

Statistics are fun to observe!

Sucks this happened on a Friday, now we have to wait until Monday to ehar him go off about it lol

The only thing ive ever seen Totalbiscuit promote are indie games, besides, he runs a pc gaming channel its against his interest that people play on consoles.

A $500 machine (with a ton of negative press piggied back before lauch) sold nearly as much as a $400 one (in the main target market)

The sky isn't falling over @ MS. Not even close.

This is called pushing the momentum forward.

Winning one month isn't gonna change anything in the long run.

Top Bottom