• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment coming to PS3/PSP PSN via PSone classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

Damn, I already have the PS1 version, but would've rather played the PSP version first. Say it ain't so, Atlus!

Alec

As a new member of PersonaGAF, I want absolutely every iteration and port of every Persona game ever on my Vita.

As Dyack requested, I must stand and be counted.

Better than nothing I guess... :/

I guess I'll play through this and then go for the second playthrough on the Japanese PSP release.

No guarantees (since EP never came out in Europe on PSOne, it'd mean getting it rated for those territories) but I'll ask about it on Tuesday.

I'm joining in on the choir of people thanking you for the trouble. Much appreciated, thanks.

famfrit

We live in a world where Aksys announced the localization of a dating sim with Keiji Inafune's niece, but Atlus is afraid to localize a remake in their star franchise on the same platform.

We live in a very strange world.

Better than nothing, and PSV can stand for Persona Vita at last.

Yes, it's the end of world.

By the way, hell yeah for Persona 2 release in psn.

It's decent. It's SMT II without the story or towns. It's JUST dungeons.

Good story, what little it has.

Sounds ok to me, if I could deal with the Snow Queen Quest, and I think I actually enjoyed The Answer more than The Journey, because it reminded me of old school MegaTen more, I think I can deal with it.

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.
Late to this thread but just wanted to say thanks, Nich, for giving us a conclusive answer to EP PSP and to Atlus in general, for giving us EP PS1 in its absence.

This is makes me more depressed than happy. I was really hoping for the PSP version.

I think I'm gonna put my planned Persona series playthrough on indefinite hold now. :/

good for newcomers who want to play the best Persona games. no new content means i'll have to skip this.

maybe next time. let's positive thinking, right?

good for newcomers who want to play the best Persona games. no new content means i'll have to skip this.

maybe next time. let's positive thinking, right?
"Couldn't happen" is pretty definite. I don't know what to think about that.

Even though it was pretty bleak for a while, I was still clinging to a sliver of hope, especially with all the other niche PSP games that are still coming. Now I just feel deflated.

"Couldn't happen" is pretty definite. I don't know what to think about that.

Even though it was pretty bleak for a while, I was still clinging to a sliver of hope, especially with all the other niche PSP games that are still coming. Now I just feel deflated.

yea, looking at the other releases this should have been safe.
fan translators are your biggest chance now.

Shoyz

For someone that hasn't played P2, is it even worth bothering to play the PSP version of IS? Since you'll just have to downgrade to the PS1 version of the sequel anyways, seems like you're better off just playing the PS1 versions of both. Really wish they didn't go half-way on it..

Balb

For someone that hasn't played P2, is it even worth bothering to play the PSP version of IS? Since you'll just have to downgrade to the PS1 version of the sequel anyways, seems like you're better off just playing the PS1 versions of both. Really wish they didn't go half-way on it..

IS wasn't released in English on the PS1 if that means anything to you.

Well, to be fair, you'll be able to play both games on the PSP and Vita either way now.
That's not my point though.

The PSP version of IS is not meant to be played in tandem with the PSX version of EP, and vice versa. (And that's how these games are best experienced, in tandem.) Plus, it's hard to go to back to a version of the game with less content.

I'm happy that it's coming out on PSN, but I'm more disappointed that we won't be getting the enhanced version. It sours the experience.

Chemo

Here's a thought: Atlus could totally port both PSP games to Vita as a Persona 2 Complete bundle and add trophies to both games and charge us $40 for the two, and localize that. That would be fantastic.

Please pass this along to whoever, Atlus employees. I'd also buy a P4G-style version of Persona 3 FES for full price, too (for the fourth time). Take every last bit of my money.

Skyzard

Banned
Do you think it would it be tolerable after playing Persona 4 on PSV? Never played the original. Is it similar to P3P?

Eusis

Do you think it would it be tolerable after playing Persona 4 on PSV? Never played the original. Is it similar to P3P?
It may be hard to get into (I found SMT:N onwards are FAR more playable than any English titles we got beforehand), but IS is supposed to be pretty easy, and at worst you can just follow Faqs and brute force with ideal Personas. A bit of grinding, but not entirely in the usual sense: there's cards you'll want to get to make Personas, and that can require going through conversations with demons over and over again to accumulate enough. Persona 3 and 4 handled it way better I think by only letting you manage the MC's Persona (and by proxy removing restraints) and just straight up giving you Personas that usually serve as fusion fodder.

Nairume

Banned
Not even close.

If you liked P3 and P4 for being a refreshing twist on the genre or what have you, you will almost definitely not like transitioning to P2.

Tizoc

Will this be region locked too? Far be it for Atlus to stop being assholes now.

As far as I know, Persona 4 Golden is not region locked.
No PSX game on US PSN is region locked, you can test this yourself by getting the FF games on sale atm for example. If you have a Vita and it is using an EU account, you won't be able to transfer it though, since only content from the account on the Vita is accepted.

Well I guess this digs the grave of the psp localisation.

Better then nothing for those who haven't played it at all, but I already have this on the psx :/

randomkid

That's what's UP, wonder if it'll be 5.99 or 9.99. Either way, I'm glad I didn't start SMT2 cuz I know what I'll be playing the moment it hits on Tuesday. Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaait, gonna find out how the story concludes finally, yeah!

Should definitely be a new thread when Nich's blog entry goes up.

Tizoc

Imagine if this game also happens to be this week's Plus Freebie for US; I would've saved myself $3 at least lol.

cj_iwakura

That's what's UP, wonder if it'll be 5.99 or 9.99. Either way, I'm glad I didn't start SMT2 cuz I know what I'll be playing the moment it hits on Tuesday. Can't waaaaaaaaaaaaaait, gonna find out how the story concludes finally, yeah!

Should definitely be a new thread when Nich's blog entry goes up.

For the news, or for the game?

Eusis

Every time I saw a game get a new OT for a domestic release, only being folded together if the game hit everywhere at around the same time. I'm guessing someone should just make a new OT, especially as localization changes between P2 EP and P2 IS need to be tracked.

cj_iwakura

Every time I saw a game get a new OT for a domestic release, only being folded together if the game hit everywhere at around the same time. I'm guessing someone should just make a new OT, especially as localization changes between P2 EP and P2 IS need to be tracked.

I don't mind updating it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Should I finish IS? Made it as far as
the bombs in the stadium.
I always found EP more interesting.

Yes. DAT ENDING. It really starts to pick up after you're done with that part you're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom