• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Man, one of my favourite things last year was going out on a 100km ride with my friends who don't cycle that much. We ended up stopping at four different cafes/restaurants. I think I gained a kilo but it was glorious.

Man, one of my favourite things last year was going out on a 100km ride with my friends who don't cycle that much. We ended up stopping at four different cafes/restaurants. I think I gained a kilo but it was glorious.

I'm saying it as a joke but it is fun. I love riding my bike to the local coffee shop and having an espresso. It's just funny when the old timers on their 5k bikes and loudest hubs ever roll up 15 deep.

These days it's trivial to do though. It's not like in the old days where you literally had to weigh everything, find the calories, put them in a spreadsheet etc. Hell, even if you eat out all the time (great way to get fat), these days you stand a much better chance of being able to find out roughly what you ate.

The precision nutrition system isn't bad if you adamantly don't want to count etc... but it's most definitely a drastic change to how most people eat.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide-infographic

It's a bitch to do, but you can obviously get it vaguely right by setting up recipes in MFP. Thankfully I tend to reuse recipes a lot (I make huge batches then freeze) so most of them I put in place ages ago.

T8SC

It's a bitch to do, but you can obviously get it vaguely right by setting up recipes in MFP. Thankfully I tend to reuse recipes a lot (I make huge batches then freeze) so most of them I put in place ages ago.

Same, freeze my weeks worth of food for work and manually put the macros etc in based on the recipe I used.

Just ordered me one of these. Time to gnar!
Fox-2016-Rampage-Pro-Carbon-MIPs-Helmet-Kroma-Black-White-Image-2.jpg

Mascot

After three months off the bike with various ailments I finally feel good enough to ride again. What better test than up and down a mountain tomorrow at dawn? Cafall, here I come!

It was one of the worst days of riding I had in a while. Every angle, off camber, root, etc was just in my head. Pretty sure that one crash knocked out my wrist, loosened both cleats and turned the bars a bit. Ended up just not even going out this morning because it's sore enough that pressure makes it throb and the constant rattle would have driven it nuts.

Teggy

Think I am going to go into Boston tomorrow and check out the Revolt. I don't want to take my Roubaix out in the snow. And I'm kind of itching to spend some money :p

If I wind up getting it, do you think I should get SPDs? It would mean getting another pair of shoes but they seem better suited for gravel and dirt.

Taking the road bike out! :O

...and you only need SPDs if you're planning on spending any meaningful amount of time off the bike (walking).

Ugh, what a crap ride that was. Wasn't supposed to rain, yet was constant the entire way around. Plus I had my usual fun getting skimmed by drivers. Fucking cunts.

I really don't know how you guys can enjoy it. =/

Teggy

frontieruk

Nice. How was the weather? It certainly would have been warm enough today, but with the rain it was utterly miserable.

We lucked out, overcast, bit windy but dry.

I did whine like a bitch* though as I had wanted to ride yesterday but when we were planning my mate said it was going to rain on Saturday... So we missed all the sun :(

*Jokingly as he was complaining of being cold

Still, wont be long now before Spring. Already starting to see lambs. :D

Oh, and no complaints about the Continental GP4s. If they were much slower than the tyres that came with the bike, I didn't really notice it.

Mascot

That's going to be SERIOUSLY unpleasant for you. I'm half tempted to get up early to come and watch. ;)
It was absolutely fine, no fitness issues at all. I was actually slowed down quite considerably by my riding partner who's been training continuously over the past few months. We only did one mountain because he had to be back home for 9:30am, but I'd have been happy doing Twrch straight afterwards. I did an hour on the cross trainer when I got back, that's how full of beans I was. Very pleasantly surprised. I'm a little bit saddle sore today though..!

https://www.relive.cc/view/870379969?r=wa

frontieruk

Still, wont be long now before Spring. Already starting to see lambs. :D

Oh, and no complaints about the Continental GP4s. If they were much slower than the tyres that came with the bike, I didn't really notice it.

We passed several fields of lambs and the snowdrops and daffodils along the roadside were pretty.

Quite happy though, first time I've attempted that sort of distance.

T8SC

Just got back from a 121 mile ride with 8400ft of climbing, averaging 17.6mph. Typically rained for the last 20 mile too.

I need food now.

frontieruk

Just got back from a 121 mile ride with 8400ft of climbing, averaging 17.6mph. Typically rained for the last 20 mile too.

I need food now.

You make me sad :(

Have a good meal ;)

It was just nice to be back in the saddle. Most of the ride was done literally in the clouds. It was a lot wetter than we thought it would be so the climb was a bit slippery.

It's nice when you get back on the bike after a period of being to injured for it.

Knocked out 40 today because it's abnormally warm. Felt nice to just get out on the rode and ride.

Don't know if I like the Fabric Scoop. The shallow felt weird and like I needed it hiked all the way forward and angled up. Maybe it was just the first time out because the scoop isn't too different from the aliante.

Mascot

It's nice when you get back on the bike after a period of being to injured for it.
Amen to that. I think I'm going to try not to overdo the biking this year and mix it up with more rowing and cross training for a more rounded exercise programme. Long periods of 120-odd miles a week off road caused me some RS injuries last year.

It's going to be hard if we're in for a decent summer though.

Amen to that. I think I'm going to try not to overdo the biking this year and mix it up with more rowing and cross training for a more rounded exercise programme. Long periods of 120-odd miles a week off road caused me some RS injuries last year.

It's going to be hard if we're in for a decent summer though.

To quote pyscho: get tougher

Ha, he's plenty tough, he probably just needs to get a bit stronger. :)

Unrelated, I noticed on climbs that my back brake was rubbing. I assume this was because there was more weight on my rear wheel and it was flexing. I'm assuming I just need to get it tensioned up? I've never had any problems with MTB wheels as they tend to be bomb proof.

HTupolev

Unrelated, I noticed on climbs that my back brake was rubbing. I assume this was because there was more weight on my rear wheel and it was flexing. I'm assuming I just need to get it tensioned up? I've never had any problems with MTB wheels as they tend to be bomb proof.
If you're running disc brakes, spoke tension probably has nothing to do with it, since the rotor is mounted to the hub. I don't have much experience messing with discs, but to my understanding, you'll want to check the true of the brake rotor (i.e. you might have to bend it into shape) and caliper positioning.

HTupolev

Oh, duh.

A lot of modern road wheels have flex issues under load, especially ones with low spoke count. Ironically, part of the problem is the high stiffness of the rims; it means that force on one part of the wheel can easily deflect other parts of the wheel.

Is the brake well-centered, and is the wheel rubbing on one side or both? Most modern brakes are very easy to re-center.

Needs at least N+1 pictures, though.

Ha, he's plenty tough, he probably just needs to get a bit stronger. :)

Possible the pad got out of alignment?

Again, only on climbs, and more when standing. Zero rub anywhere else.

If it's not wheel flex I don't have a clue what it is. Decent size gap there too (when you just look at it).

Top Bottom