• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam client update adds universal in-game screenshots! (on cloud) [Better Voice Too]

The screenshot update has finally arrived. At least in beta form:

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

1/31/2011

- Changed microphone voice input from 11khz to 16 khz
- Changed voice output from 8khz to 16khz
- Moved game invites from friends outside of the chat stream, into their own panel in the chat dialog
- [Mac OSX] Fixed a problem where attempting to resume a paused/interrupted download could always report ‘server unavailable’
- Fixed games not launching automatically after resolving a cloud conflict
- Fixed download rate sometimes erroneously reporting very high speeds
- Added password strength meter when you change your password
- Added UI prompting you to choose a new password if you've had support change your password
- Added Steam screenshots feature. Press F12 in any game to take a screenshot. Screenshots are automatically uploaded to the steam cloud after exiting the game, or can be manually uploaded while in-game through the in-game overlay. Screenshots can be managed through the community site and can be published to your Steam Community Profile to share with your friends. Games that use DirectX 8 and earlier are not yet supported.

If you want to see the quality of the screenshot, here's someone's profile from the beta thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/thejuice027

Oreoleo

crimsonheadGCN said:
The screenshot update has finally arrived. At least in beta form:

If you want to see the quality of the screenshot, here's someone's profile from the beta thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/thejuice027

So it gets downsampled automatically? Or is that something that can be user-defined? because that screen shot is really tiny.
Edit: I'm a dummy and didn't see the "view full size" link on the right. Crisis averted.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how much space we get for the Screen Shots, and what happens if you use a non-steam game.

I just got Magicka gifted out of the bllue by a close friend of mine, by the sound of it, I'm gonna hold off on installing it until after a few more patches...
Nah, just play it and have some fun.

One thing I do wonder with the game is how the hell are they going to get it to run on an Xbox 360. It uses 700MB to 1GB of Ram on the PC.

MNC

Oh I already thought I was going mad, but

THEY TOTALLY ADDED MY REQUEST KINDA AND MADE IT BETTER BY USING CLOUD FMNFHNFNFGN

YES!!

This was the single reason why I stilled used Xfire. No reason for me to use it anymore.

LOVE YOU GABE!

Does this support non steam games added to the list?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
TouchMyBox said:
Higher quality voice?! Does this affect just steam voice chat, or in-game voice chat of steamworks titles as well?
This seems even bigger than the screen shot tool. Am I reading this correctly? Did Valve just fix shitty Steam voice chat?!??!

Instro

Hey thats actually pretty nifty, certainly makes me want to take screenshots of cool things more often since its so quick and easy.

Sounds cool. Although, what is the primary use of in-game screenshots? Score/result bragging? Never really had the urge to capture screenshots. I feel like I'm missing something.

Instro

Foliorum Viridum said:
Such a small resolution...

I'll stick to FRAPS and Photoshop.

Edit: I didn't see click to see full size haha.

Yeah I was wondering what you were talking about there. Now they just need to add in video and an FPS counter.

devildog820 said:
Sounds cool. Although, what is the primary use of in-game screenshots? Score/result bragging? Never really had the urge to capture screenshots. I feel like I'm missing something.

Dunno about others, but I would tend to use it for taking screens of really nice looking areas in games, or something interesting.

coopolon

This really is a very cool feature. Kudos to Steam.

Looking forward to trying out the new and improved voice chat as well.

Oh, it doesn't support non-steam Games? That's too bad. Still, nice feature though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe the games I tried didn't use dirrectX, I'll try again later.

Blizzard

Banned
Diablohead said:
Scary thing is that I use to use f12 as my FRAPS screenshot key, lol.
Me too. It would be REALLY nice if there were an option to only save the screenshots to hard disk instead of uploading them to the cloud. Is there? I'd rather make a huge directory of lossless BMPs with Fraps, and then go through them to just upload a couple of shots that are actually good.

I have 1.1 MB/s download, but my upload speed is REALLY slow, and I would hate to be required to upload some 60 screenshots when I quit a game.

sam27368

Banned
devildog820 said:
Hi Res Screenshot thread is always a good look, convinced me to take the plunge to PC gaming.
Bragging is also another. Beta screenshots to show others, it's a really great feature.

Also, no more uploading screenshots! Steam doesn't downsample them does it? Doesn't appear that way on the profile above.

All they need to do now is add an FPS counter and I won't need fraps anymore!

Peff

Drkirby said:
I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe the games I tried didn't use dirrectX, I'll try again later.

I can't either. Not sure if you're supposed to get a prompt after every screenshot or if they just take a while to be uploaded.

sam27368

Banned
Peff said:
I can't either. Not sure if you're supposed to get a prompt after every screenshot or if they just take a while to be uploaded.

Try Shift Tab in game after you've taken one to see if there's any indication

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
devildog820 said:

jollyrover-stump.png

Ultimatum

Banned
very nice actually, the image quality is good

makes me wonder how many screenshots you're allowed to keep in your cloud though, this could fill up Valve's servers very quickly once it's out of beta...

Top Bottom